PDA

View Full Version : Should we buy DVC memebership?

Donald Duck 001
08-12-2008, 01:12 PM
My wife and I are heading down to Disney in Oct. for our 3 major trip to Disney in 3 years. We usually go for atleast 10 days or more. We are pretty set on spending our yearly vacations to Disney over the years to come. We have debated wether or not to join the DVC memebership. We do see this a being a positve for us since we like to stay at the Deluxe resorts.

The only draw back to this is that my wife and I currently do not own a home. My question is are there any DVC memebers out there that dont own a home (rent)? And is it okay to purchase even if you dont have a morgage?

We are so caught on the fact that we dont own a home and that is why we should wait until we own a home and than purchase the DVC. Does this make sense? Or is our thinking a bit off?

Thanks for all of your help.

DisneyWhirled
08-12-2008, 01:33 PM
Your thinking is not off. Infact, when we went on our honeymoon, we toured a timeshare (not DVC) and part of our reasoning was b/c we did not have a house. BUT, with that being said....I really wish we would have bought and toured DVC...we would be paid off by now!!

You have to take into account your future plans. There are many factors to consider. The first is are you financing your DVC purchase? Are you looking to buy a home in the next few months? Sometimes mortgage companies will frown on new loans.

We have loved every bit of our DVC and we did finance it. From the sound of it, you will be travelling to WDW often, so DVC may work for you.

If you look to buy from Disney, please PM me because my rep is UNBELIEVEABLE!! No pressure, very informative and all around nice guy (and I am not just saying that for an incentive...I live in Maine, we are a state that cannot get referral incentives. I just really like him!)

If you have any questions, please feel free to PM me, I would be glad to help!!

gmgdisneymom
08-12-2008, 01:50 PM
I agree with the above - consider you long term plans - not just disney. I think the dvc is a great value - esp for families who plan on vacationing for a number of years - but remember that it is a vacation not your life and if you plan to buy a house in the future - that should be your goal

gwfx1031
08-12-2008, 02:20 PM
We put our DVC plans on hold for 13 years to allow for having kids, buying a home, getting ourselves established. We just recently bought into DVC because we knew the time was right for us financially. Your long term plans and ability to afford it may be more important than whether you rent or own. Good luck on the decision.

Sharon1026
08-31-2008, 08:55 AM
The real question is: Why are you taking 3 major trips to Disney in a short period of time and staying at deluxe resorts if you can't afford the down payment on a house?

TinkerbellT421
08-31-2008, 09:52 AM
Well first off, I didnt see anywhere in that post that said they cant afford the down payment for a house. But anyway, you future plans should always be in consideration. You can always go take a look at it and ask all the questions you need answers too. Bring a notebook with all the questions you need answers too (I know I would and did because you get so caught up in the moment of the tours and all the incentives you start to loose track of all the q's you wanted to ask lol)...It is quite overwhelming and awesom...:cloud9:
My personal opinion is you two might want to sit down and figure future plans and estimate what it would cost/what it will take/etc...and figure if dvc fits into that right away...BUT in MY personal opinion, the amount you spend out of pocket to take your vacations at the deluxe resorts, it would be well worth it to me, to just be part of the dvc magic...If its money you have and can afford, then I dont see aproblem. And if your concerned about loan/mortgage/finance issues w/ dvc w/ a bank, why dont you call a couple of local banks and get personal opinions from loan reps there. And I dont know if you know this but you dont HAVE to finance personally, DVC will finance for you. But it will show up as a debt and or open credit on your credit report. So those might be questions you want to investigate completely before jumping in. But again these are just personal opinions. Good luck!! :mickey:

Donald A
09-01-2008, 03:35 PM
I think you have to things to consider:

1) If you are taking a lot of trips to WDW and paying good money, DVC will probably save you money in the long run. If you really want to get into it, look at how much you spend on WDW resort stays per year. Then try to figure out how many points you use a year. This is tough as point use greatly varies. Then do the math. Say you use 150 points a year on average. I bet you will find it much cheaper to join DVC if you go to and plan to continue to go to WDW on a regular basis.

2) Just because you do not have a house does not mean you can't join DVC. I mean, for tax purposes DVC is considered a mortgage. It just does not appreciate like a house usually does. Only you know your financial situation. If you will use a down payment set aside for a house for DVC, that is probably not wise. On the other hand, if you have money set aside for a house and a good credit rating DVC is probably something you may want to do. Just keep in mind DVC loans do go on your credit report and obtaining a mortgage is much tougher than even a year ago. (Trust me, I just got one as I am moving later this month).