PDA

View Full Version : Lights, Motor, Action ruined the Backlot

Imagineer1981
08-12-2008, 10:19 AM
When they added LMA to DHS, I think they completely ruined the backlot tour. Now its basically here are some old cars and catastrophe canyon. I miss seeing the old houses and and the Rocketteer Dog! I think they need to rework this attraction instead of just cutting half of it out to make room for LMA

WinnipegDisneyFanatic
08-12-2008, 10:22 AM
In my past two trips to WDW, I haven't seen LMA! at all. It just hasn't interested me.

I loved the old backlot tour, especially driving past the Gilmore Girl's house :funny:

p.s. Has anyone volunteered to get all that water dumped on them before...?!

Chris :hatter:

gwfx1031
08-12-2008, 10:52 AM
I agree, but now that it is not really a working studio, no need for a backlot.

My wife had the water dumped on her on one visit. She had a blast.

DDuck66
08-12-2008, 11:56 AM
I have not been impressed with Lights, Motors, Boring. I also really miss the old tour and the houses. On our anniversary, we got to be on the boat, but my DW did not want to be "inside the ship" and have the water dumped on her. She still has not gotten over being volunteered to perform. Just wish that I had thought to have someone else take pics with our camera.

sdewan
08-12-2008, 12:01 PM
I'm not a big LMA fan, and I like the backlot tour, but since it's not a working studio, the tour has really lost a lot of magic for me. I live near Universal Studios, Hollywood, and when you take their backstage tour you see the same sets that you just saw on a number of TV shows and movies. Otherwise, they would just be a bunch of cheaply made buildings.

So in that sense, I think LMA is more true to DHS's identity as a theme park.

BeccaO
08-12-2008, 12:05 PM
I'm not a fan of LMA either. We saw it for the first time in January, our son was 13 months old and our daughter was 7 years old. It was sooooooooo loud for my little ones ears and mine too!!!! I would not recommend anyone with young kids take them to see it. It was also really really hot, and that was in January, I can't imagine what it is like in the middle of August! We crossed this off of things to do on our next trip, been there done that, don't need to go back. I also miss the residential street on the back-lot tour. I liked the Golden Girls house.:(

MickeyMousse
08-12-2008, 12:21 PM
YAY! Glad to hear that we're not the only ones that miss the old backlot tour!!!
My opinion on LMA: seen it once, don't have to see it again! I think it's a real downer when they show how the stunts are actually pulled off.

WinnipegDisneyFanatic
08-12-2008, 12:27 PM
I liked the Golden Girls house.:(

Me too. But wasn't it the Gilmore Girls house? :funny::blush:

luvdiznee
08-12-2008, 12:34 PM
Seen LMA once. Looking forward to seeing it at least one more time. It was kind of loud. :mickey:

bruin1344
08-12-2008, 01:15 PM
i miss the old backlot tour also, i like lights, motor, action ride but too bad they couldnt find another location at dhs rather than cut into backlot tour

FredTaco
08-12-2008, 01:35 PM
Me too. But wasn't it the Gilmore Girls house? :funny::blush:

The Golden Girls House facade was on the backlot tour. I'm not sure if Gilmore Girls used the facade at Disney or not, although I doubt it. Most of the show was filmed in the Hollywood area. If I'm not mistaken the town center area was primarily shot on Universal's backlot.

Speaking of the heat... When we went in July last year, we saw at least 3 people pass out from the heat and had to be removed from the bleachers by paramedics.

MississippiDisneyFreak
08-12-2008, 01:36 PM
I hated Lights, Motor, Action but my son loved it, sooooo....I'll will be sitting through it again in December:pout:

chrisb26
08-12-2008, 01:41 PM
I agree also I loved driving past all the houses that was really neat. I think that really took away from the backlot tour when they did that.

I'm also not really a fan of LMA I have seen it only twice and probably wont go back for a very long time. The first time I went was right after it opened and I wasn't a real big fan so I didn't go for a few trips and then I went last year so my mom could see it. But we still didn't really care for it.

p.s. Has anyone volunteered to get all that water dumped on them before...?!

:here: well actually I didn't really volunteer I was more volunteered by my brother and of course I said sure! Thinking I could be the captain of the ship. But no.. The CM said well since you got volunteered you can be in the maintence room. Gee thanks bro ;)

Oh and FYI those blue suits they give you do not exactly stop you from getting wet.

Ropachs
08-12-2008, 02:20 PM
I could care less about LMA, but DH and DS love it. I did get the water dumped on me, my girlfriend forced me to do it with her as I'm pleading with the CM not to make me...

Flower
08-12-2008, 02:47 PM
DS loves LMA, he asks to watch it on YouTube all of the time. I have a picture collage of it for his room, and we recently painted his room and I have several pics blown up to 8x10 and am going to use that as the border around his red-coloured bedroom!

I was not impressed with a CM working there in January when I slipped and fell in the rain on our way in, while holding a baby, and she was standing right there and did not notice because she had her Ipod on. Another guest had to tap her on the shoulder and point out to her that I had fallen about 5 feet away from her. She told me I could go to the front gate and get a wheelchair if I was injured??? What??? Call someone and have them bring it to me! I was able to walk anyway (with a limp), and she did tell me to let them know up ahead that I was injured and could not climb the bleachers.

I miss the old backlot tour somewhat, but we actually really enjoy LMA as a family.

WinnipegDisneyFanatic
08-12-2008, 02:54 PM
The Golden Girls House facade was on the backlot tour. I'm not sure if Gilmore Girls used the facade at Disney or not, although I doubt it. Most of the show was filmed in the Hollywood area. If I'm not mistaken the town center area was primarily shot on Universal's backlot.

Yeah, it’s more of an inside joke with a few others that I always call the Golden Girls house the Gilmore Girls house :) I do remember seeing it back in 97 and 99…and I admit, I miss it.

FredTaco
08-12-2008, 03:11 PM
Yeah, it’s more of an inside joke with a few others that I always call the Golden Girls house the Gilmore Girls house :) I do remember seeing it back in 97 and 99…and I admit, I miss it.

Oh sorry... :oops:

WinnipegDisneyFanatic
08-12-2008, 03:52 PM
Oh sorry... :oops:

My fault...I posted it when I was super tired this morning and thought it was more funny then than it is now :blush:

Imagineer1981
08-12-2008, 04:06 PM
I do like LMA, but I am a huge car guy so that helps. Glad to see though I am not the only one who thinks the tour is not as good now!!

Stich8818
08-12-2008, 04:52 PM
While I never had a chance to go on the Backlot Tour ( I did look up old vids on youtube). But my last trip down when I got over to LMA I was getting ready to go in and all the sudden felt no need to go in..I lost intrest that quick for some reason....But I think too that DHS is changing from that "working studio" to struggling to find it's own identity.

EditReject
08-12-2008, 10:00 PM
Yeah, the Backlot tour is pretty ho-hum now. LMA was ok but I would have to say that it does not hold up after repeated viewings (sorta like the Indy Stunt Show). I watched it again last week and thought this will be it for me for a while (plus it was definitely rough in those bleachers in the midday sun).

HeyMrsL!ItsThisGuy!
08-12-2008, 11:07 PM
yeah, i do enjoy LMA but i don't like that DHS now has two stunt shows....that's like going into a McDonald's that serves both big macs and whoppers, its pointless.

they should have either brought LMA over from France and gotten rid of Indy, or just not brought over LMA at all.

and LMA is extremely hot, at least Indy's in the jungle.

FTDW Poly 08
08-13-2008, 12:55 AM
The LMA show was one of the highlights of the trip for my 6/8 year olds boys. We're not really a car family, but they found that pretty exciting. With the exception of Toy Story Mania and Fantasmic, LMA was better than most options at Hollywood Studios.

JPL
08-13-2008, 01:10 AM
The backlot started to decline as soon as the production stopped and there was really no longer anything new being added and the set shops and soundstages went dark. LMA was the final nail in the coffin removing residential street which really ruined the Osbourne Spectacle of Lights which was much better when it took place on there. I'm not a fan of it on New York Street. I went on the tour in June and it was terrible. They skipped the pre-show all together and just set off some of the effects which was really bad show. The tour itself was very short and the highlight of the tour was seeing them working on the new Fairy meet and greet sets. It's a shell of it's former self.

sophie peach
08-13-2008, 10:10 AM
dont go on the back lot tour when LMA is on as you cant hear the commertary.

thw tour is getting shorter by the year!!!

disneygeek84
08-13-2008, 10:23 AM
The backlot started to decline as soon as the production stopped and there was really no longer anything new being added and the set shops and soundstages went dark.

Yeah! I remember when I was little getting to do a walk-threw of something...not sure if it was the Backlot Tour or what...and we got to see (from an observation deck and threw a window) the set for The New Mickey Mouse Club and then they really were filming a show for Adventures In Wonderland. It might have been 1990? 1991? I really don't remember. I just remember being really little and really excited that I got to see part of the set of shows that I watched all the time.

Imagineer1981
08-13-2008, 11:33 AM
DHS is really trying to find itself...its almost becoming more like a Universal Studios then what it once was, doing just movie themed rides and not actually having the movie productions going on at the same time. I think that was part of the park that made it truely unique...on any given day a hollywood actor would be there filming and you could always see the animators working on the next great film...sad how far we've fallen