PDA

View Full Version : dissapointing

waymickey
08-12-2008, 10:06 AM
Just got back from an 8 day trip to DW. I must say I was dissapointed. The cast members and park were not what they used to be. DHS was dirty, cups and garbage on the ground, On the Splash mountian ride in MK there is gum stuck to the sides of the walls in the attraction. Turkey legs are thrown in the bushes and paper all about. As for the cast members no more cheery faces. I was in the laugh floor last row and over heard 3 cast members complain about the tourists, saying they are selfish and rude. I accidently got into the the single rider line on toy story mania with my fastpasses. I waited in line and when we got near the ride we seemed to be waiting along time. I asked the cast member why we had to wait so long and he said you are in single rider line, fast pass goes first. I showed him my fast pass and said we followed the cast member at the door when she said stay to the left. His response "sorry, too bad you are in the wrong line." The sign for fast pass and single rider is on the gates that swing open when we went in the ride at nidnight the gates were open with the sign facing the wall. No way to tell which line is which. I have been to Disney World dozens of times and this was the worst. NO Disney magic plus garabage!

DizneyRox
08-12-2008, 10:33 AM
I refer to the CMs as employees these days. They are a far cry from real cast members for the most part. There are still a few good ones, but it's more the exception than the rule.

mcjaco
08-12-2008, 10:50 AM
Sounds like Six Flags. Not Disney. :hide2:

Imagineer1981
08-12-2008, 10:55 AM
I have to say, from working there, that CMs generally bad mouth guests in the break rooms all day long. I also have noticed little things like gum, cracks in buildings, things not being painted, etc that are starting be ignored. Also there are CMs who don't meet standards.

But lets not forget that WDW is still lightyears beyond its closest competitors for quality and cleanliness and for employees. There are tons of GREAT CMs and we shouldn't let the few thorns ruin the rep of all the great ones.

Perhaps we need to be more proactive then just posting here. Write letters, tell a manager while at WDW, let Disney know that you will not tolerate the trash, the gum, the rude CMs..if enough people say something, things will change

PeterPan
08-12-2008, 10:56 AM
I know how you feel - some of my trips have been like yours. BUT...there are a few things to take into consideration.

First, the time of year. This is the worst! The HUGE onslaught of people - the relentless parade of sweating humanity - finally, it wears on a person. The CM's are only human - they are pushed, shoved, yelled at, abused in a dozen different ways. Finally, they get impatient and jaded. Again, they are only human. Of course, they unload on fellow CM's - just to get it off their chest. They should NEVER say anything within ear-shot of a Guest, but it happens.

Second, you are RIGHT! CM's are NOT what they used to be. People in general are not what they used to be. When Disneyland opened in 1955, people actually dressed up to go. Seriously - women wore heels, many men wore a sport coat. Children held their parents hands and behaved. What I am saying is this...slowly, we have become a more agressive, rude society. When people go to these public places (like WDW) suddenly, they are on display - we can all observe one another in a way that is out of the ordinary (unless you go to a lot of sporting events where many, many people gather in a casual setting.) We see people at their WORST.

CM's are no different than Guests - they are people with the same social conventions and generally accepted behaviors. Now, their training tries to OVERCOME these natural tendencies - they are told over and over in their classes ("Traditions" for instance) to smile, assume the Guest is always right, don't raise your voice, defer to an authority (call a manager), etc.

I think about it like this: if all CM's were 35 years old, had 15 years of experience, loved and appreciated Disney Culture, in this job for the long haul, were building a career not just a job, had shorter shifts, worked only in the Spring and Fall when the weather is perfect in Florida, and were paid a truly exceptional wage, they would be INCREDIBLE CAST MEMBERS.

But the truth is, they are young, inexperienced, hot, tired, exhausted, underpaid, and cannot WAIT for their shift to be over.

Yes, there are exceptions to the rule - I see them every time I go, and when I spot these very special CM's who go above and beyond the call of duty, I immediately ask for a manager, and RAVE about them, insist that they be rewarded. Our waitress at Liberty Tree Tavern last January was a CROWN JEWEL. Not only did I ask for the manager and compliment her on the spot, after I got home, I sat down and wrote a real letter (paper, envelope, stamp, etc.). Those kind of CM's should be singled out and PRAISED for preserving even a SHRED of the Disney Culture we remember so fondly.

Strmchsr
08-12-2008, 11:02 AM
:exactly::ditto: Well said!

wdwfansince75
08-12-2008, 11:06 AM
I just checked our receipts from our June trip...and we must have been to a different WDW than the OP....We noted how clean everything was, and how friendly the CM's were. In fact, thought grounds at all parks trimmer and cleaner than I ever remember.
As on recent trips, did notice clutter in the queues (particularly Soarin') during EMH's, but not during rest of day.
Really enjoyed bantering with CM's, and particularly noted friendly, smiling, and helpful CM's on TSMM.
Perhaps its an August problem....hot days, been tolerating crowds since May/June.....going back to school.....on lay off list for slow season....just tired.
I'm inclined to give them another chance!

GrumpyFan
08-12-2008, 11:10 AM
Send a message to guest relations. In in it, be very specific on what you saw/heard and where you saw it. It may not fix everything, but it will help. The email address is: [email protected]

I've sent a couple on issues we had in the past. They usually respond, but it may take 6-8 weeks. Be sure and give your name and any contact information, as they may actually call you.

SBETigg
08-12-2008, 11:16 AM
It is disappointing to see trash gathering, gum stuck where it shouldn't be, and CMs bad-mouthing guests in front of guests. Even if I do have to agree with them that a lot of guests are selfish and rude :secret:.

But, I think a lot of the travel experience depends on what you bring to it. You can choose to see the trash and shake your head, or you can try to look around it to find the magic (which is admittedly sometimes harder than others, depending on the trash). I never wait for someone else to make my experience for me or let a few CMs influence my vacation experience (good or bad). My good time is within my control and up to me. The rest is out of my hands and can only bother me as much as I let it creep in.

tinkwest
08-12-2008, 11:44 AM
Re: Garbage
Try to remember who put the trash on the ground and the gum on the walls in the first place. It probably wasn't the CMs.

tink2006
08-12-2008, 11:50 AM
Second, you are RIGHT! CM's are NOT what they used to be. People in general are not what they used to be. When Disneyland opened in 1955, people actually dressed up to go. Seriously - women wore heels, many men wore a sport coat. Children held their parents hands and behaved. What I am saying is this...slowly, we have become a more agressive, rude society. When people go to these public places (like WDW) suddenly, they are on display - we can all observe one another in a way that is out of the ordinary (unless you go to a lot of sporting events where many, many people gather in a casual setting.) We see people at their WORST.

I agree...What has happened to our society? Please, thank you and a smile go along way. When did we forget this?

We were there in July and we did not comment on the cleaniness (or lack of) as we had in prior visits. Of course, we weren't looking for trash. Soarin is the only line I can remember being on the trashy side. However, it was about 1 AM so it did not surprise me.

As far as CM go. They are human and, while on duty, held to a much higher standard because they work for Disney. I tend to cut them some slack ...I am in my happy place! That said, I think rude encounters are truly few and far between (unlike the real world).

MississippiDisneyFreak
08-12-2008, 11:56 AM
We've always been impressed with the cleanliness of the parks, I hope this is not a result of shortage of CM due to cutbacks

SurferStitch
08-12-2008, 12:45 PM
I'm sorry you were disappointed with your trip.

DH and I have actually noticed that CM's are much better than they were a few years ago. We've commented to each other about how friendly and outgoing the CM's seemed to be over the last year or two. I've never talked to so many happy CM's as I did during our last two trips.

I haven't noticed a decline in cleanliness, but I haven't noticed an improvement either. I didn't notice any glaring examples of poor cleanliness, but the occasional cup or napkin on the ground. Chances are I just saw it before a CM got there to clean it up. There were plenty of CM's walking around sweeping, so it was just a matter of time until someone got there to clean.

With the huge numbers of guests in the parks, and the fact that there are more and more rude/disrespectful/self-centered people out there, it doesn't surprise me that it's tougher to keep up with the cleaning than it used to be years ago.

bruin1344
08-12-2008, 01:13 PM
walt is turning in his grave when see litter in his parks or rude cast members, those were major petpeeves for him

in my experiences, i find the majority of the cast members are pleasant and the parks are usually clean

disneygeek84
08-12-2008, 01:14 PM
I've only encountered a few unhappy CMs in the 20 years that I've been visiting WDW. But thing that I find is that, maybe someone was rude to them, maybe it's the end of their shift and they're tired, maybe they've just had a bad day all around.

I remember one trip during EMH at DHS and we were riding RnRC over and over and over. The guy that was working the que before you go into the preshow wasn't very happy the first time we went threw. But we were so happy to be there that we kept smiling at him and telling him HI! And thanking him every time we went by that by about the 4th time we went through the line, he was much happier.

Sometimes, all it takes is a few smiles and thank yous to get a CM in a good mood. Does that mean that it's okay for them to be rude? No. But again, they're human. And really, don't we all just need a smile and a thank you for doing our jobs sometimes?

Just keep that in mind the next time you encounter a rude/unhappy CM and try to help them have a better day! :mickey::D:mickey::D:mickey:

Nascfan
08-12-2008, 01:18 PM
I just checked our receipts from our June trip...and we must have been to a different WDW than the OP....We noted how clean everything was, and how friendly the CM's were. In fact, thought grounds at all parks trimmer and cleaner than I ever remember.
Really enjoyed bantering with CM's, and particularly noted friendly, smiling, and helpful CM's on TSMM.
Perhaps its an August problem....hot days, been tolerating crowds since May/June.....going back to school.....on lay off list for slow season....just tired.
I'm inclined to give them another chance!

I'm sorry you were disappointed with your trip.

DH and I have actually noticed that CM's are much better than they were a few years ago. We've commented to each other about how friendly and outgoing the CM's seemed to be over the last year or two. I've never talked to so many happy CM's as I did during our last two trips.

I haven't noticed a decline in cleanliness, but I haven't noticed an improvement either. I didn't notice any glaring examples of poor cleanliness, but the occasional cup or napkin on the ground. Chances are I just saw it before a CM got there to clean it up. There were plenty of CM's walking around sweeping, so it was just a matter of time until someone got there to clean.

With the huge numbers of guests in the parks, and the fact that there are more and more rude/disrespectful/self-centered people out there, it doesn't surprise me that it's tougher to keep up with the cleaning than it used to be years ago.

We had the same experience as these two Intercotees. Wonderful, cheerful CM's, very little trash or garbage (which is no small feat due to the sheer # of guests), and just a wonderful, magical time.
Do you think there really are two WDW's, and we got the "good" one? ;)

Disney Doll
08-12-2008, 01:20 PM
Sorry you had a bad experience! I've heard a couple of people on these boards talk about the decline in CMs, but I have to say that I have not noticed. Maybe I'm just too young to remember how good it was in the good ole days. I have always been pretty impressed by the CMs at WDW and the parks have always been very clean. Occasionally I run into a CM who is not giving 110% or a stray cup on the ground, but these encounters are few and far between. Certainly if I ever experienced anything too bad I would alert management. Fortunately for me that's never been necessary. Working with the public out in the Florida heat would not be my idea of a fun job. Still, more often than not I witness CMs exhibiting super human patience and friendliness. I wouldn't hesitate to complain about bad service, but I also try to make it a point to compliment good service.

Ian
08-12-2008, 02:51 PM
It really depends on when you go. WDW in the summertime is a very different experience than WDW off peak.

It's packed to the gills with hot, sweaty, overwrought tourists (many of them clueless first-timers) and it really does wear on the CM's.

Re: the litter, I think this is also related. More first-timer guests means fewer true Disney fans (i.e. people more likely to not have a certain level of respect for the parks), higher attendance means just more litter in general, and all of this means more work and less time for the custodial CM's to clean up.

I'm the first one to tell you that Disney's service and quality of cast has declined in recent years and maintenance has gone downhill. But I do try and cut them some slack in the summer. It's just brutal conditions.

Truth-be-told, though, I would never expect WDW to go back to what it was (i.e. a Disneyland clone). WDW is the Disney cash cow. They milk it for all it's worth. If you want a true Disney theme park experience these days you have to go to Disneyland. They're still doing it right.

WDWdriver
08-12-2008, 02:51 PM
CM's are no different than Guests - they are people with the same social conventions and generally accepted behaviors. Now, their training tries to OVERCOME these natural tendencies - they are told over and over in their classes ("Traditions" for instance) to smile, assume the Guest is always right, don't raise your voice, defer to an authority (call a manager), etc.

I think about it like this: if all CM's were 35 years old, had 15 years of experience, loved and appreciated Disney Culture, in this job for the long haul, were building a career not just a job, had shorter shifts, worked only in the Spring and Fall when the weather is perfect in Florida, and were paid a truly exceptional wage, they would be INCREDIBLE CAST MEMBERS.

But the truth is, they are young, inexperienced, hot, tired, exhausted, underpaid, and cannot WAIT for their shift to be over.

Bravo! Well said. But there is still no excuse for being rude or discourteous to a guest, no matter how much they deserve it. And some of them really deserve it!

As far as being a hot, tired, exhausted and underpaid CM - yes, I am often one of those. While trudging out of the park on the way to my car I am frequently stopped by guests asking directions or asking me to take their photo. It's tempting to say "no, I'm off the clock". But any CM who truly understands the CM role and how much is expected from him or her will take the time to stop, smile and make one last effort to be helpful and friendly.

indytraveler
08-12-2008, 03:43 PM
I accidently got into the the single rider line on toy story mania with my fastpasses. I waited in line and when we got near the ride we seemed to be waiting along time. I asked the cast member why we had to wait so long and he said you are in single rider line, fast pass goes first. I showed him my fast pass and said we followed the cast member at the door when she said stay to the left. His response "sorry, too bad you are in the wrong line."

That does stink. As long as you got to keep your fastpass and rode it again right after that would have been worth it. Hopefully you kept your fastpass when you were actually in the correct line.

I'm a glass is half full person so I'm trying to find the silver lining. I'm disappointed that your experiences this trip didn't live up to your expectations. But alot of what has been said in previous posts make sense. Time of year, with heat, underpay, etc tends to lead to bad service.

I do think when we see something bad or exemplary we should note it. May your next WDW vacation be filled with the magic you've come to expect.

Imagineer1981
08-12-2008, 04:08 PM
I know it sounds gross, but do as the CMs do (or are supposed to) and if you see trash, pick it up. Every CM from the lowest of the low to Bob Iger are taught that simple rule, and you'll even see CMs on their day's off in the parks picking up trash as habit, heck I still do it as a guest and I haven't been a CM now for 4 years

WeLuvBuzz
08-12-2008, 06:17 PM
I agree with previous posters that we should not be blaming cast members for the trash on the ground. There are trash cans everywhere at Disney World. Put your trash in them. It is not that hard. I am appalled at all the kids at our swim club that leave their trash for gurards to pick up and their parents do not say a thing. I am sure they do the same thing on vacation.

Jodi
08-12-2008, 07:42 PM
Well, we have been to DW the last 10 years in a row, and each year, the CM's have gotten ruder (is that a word?) and the parks are not nearly as clean. Yes, it is hot, crowded and other rude people add to the chaos, but, I have to say, the CM's applied for, interviewed for and accepted the position, therefore should DEAL WITH IT!! If I were in Customer Service and were rude to a customer, I probably would be in line to be fired!! Not everyone loves their job, but, deals with crabby managers, supervisors and co-workers every single day. This goes back to the original saying, "If you don't like it, theres the door." Sorry, my opinion.

disneymom2000
08-12-2008, 09:35 PM
The CM's are only human - they are pushed, shoved, yelled at, abused in a dozen different ways. People in general are not what they used to be. When Disneyland opened in 1955, people actually dressed up to go. Seriously - women wore heels, many men wore a sport coat. Children held their parents hands and behaved. What I am saying is this...slowly, we have become a more agressive, rude society.

I have to agree on all these notes. I find the rudest people when I visit Disney. I am talking about the "guests" and not the CM's. I wish I had an EASY button every time I encountered a rude guest and could poof them out of the park.

Diznee4Me
08-13-2008, 10:03 AM
Maybe it is just me but I don't really pay attention to the service I get from most CM's at WDW. :confused:

Now, I have had some exemplary CM's (Ken at Cinderella's Dinner:number1:) but as far as bad service I have either never had any or didn't pay attention.

When I pay for my Mickey Bar I don't expect a horse and pony show, I expect change and my Mickey Bar. Now if it was thrown at me I would probably notice but these folks are doing a job under a lot of stress - rude visitors, long hours, little pay, extremes in weather. I appreciate them doing the job but I don't feel a great big smile, a happy "how are you" or a "have a magical day" is always necessary (if they want to engage me I will be more than happy to do so). I am there with my family/friends and the time with them is what is important - not if a vendor was short with me or the cleaning crew hasn't gotten around to sweeping the park yet.

I know the original post was about the decline in service but I guess in nearly ten years of visiting WDW these types of complaints hasn't dampened me or my family's time together.

waymickey
08-13-2008, 10:18 AM
Yes I understand society has changed and the cast members are young and all that jazz but In the past I went to disney and all that was forgotten. It was magical. I did complain at the parks when things went wrong and I did look past it trying to find the magic. It was just hard because I never had to do that before. 2 things I did not address in first post. While in Universe of enegry an older gentlemen went down, passed out,or fainted not sure. It happened in the pre show, he began to get up and wobbled and went down again. My husband yelled for help but no cast member could be seen. Yes it is dark, but he is 6'5 and can see to the front of the room. He ran to the entrance and had to pry the doors open. A doctor happened to be in line and said she could help and came in after him. Scary momement, no ones fault, but I didn't realize we got locked in that preshow or that a CM wasn't in there with us.
The other thing was that I saw Mickey walking and went to take a pic of him at EPcot and a CM jumped in front of me and said no pictures you must stand in line. I didn't know Mickey had papparratzi police. Since when can't you take a picture of Mickey. Did they forget it started with a mouse?? :mad:

Texas Tinkerbell Too
08-13-2008, 10:25 AM
I know it sounds gross, but do as the CMs do (or are supposed to) and if you see trash, pick it up. Every CM from the lowest of the low to Bob Iger are taught that simple rule, and you'll even see CMs on their day's off in the parks picking up trash as habit, heck I still do it as a guest and I haven't been a CM now for 4 years

I TOTALLY agree! We have people who adopt highways and help clean the neighborhoods. Why not take ownership in keeping Disney clean? If you TRULY LOVE WDW then why not think of it as your home and take pride in it. Help keep it clean. We are all in this together. Think how clean it would be if we could just help every now and then.

I worked for an amusement park for 9 years while I was in high school and college. The same thing was embedded in our heads during training. If you see trash on the ground , then pick it up. This included every employee even the President of the theme park. I worked very closely with the President and I saw him pick trash up on multiple occasions (in his suit).

I am not saying we need to pick up trash all day while at the parks, but pitching in every now and then doesn't hurt.

waymickey
08-13-2008, 10:26 AM
By the way I wasn't blaming the CMs for the garbage. Just that they forgot that they are part of the show, hence the name cast members. They should not be rude and they do get paid to be part of the magic. We did have great CMS on the boats and the Wilderness lodge's entire cast was excellent. I was just dissapointed that Disney was always very clean very happy and magical, and this summer it wasn't. I still had a good time but it lost something. And yes I complained at the park and I do plan to write a letter.
I sat in at a show in DHS about Walt Disney. His quotes "Quality will rule over" and "I don't want it to look like any other place in the world." I can go to six flags to see gum stuck to the walls. I don't care its crowded, they have people to clean. :mad:

Ian
08-13-2008, 12:58 PM
I know it sounds gross, but do as the CMs do (or are supposed to) and if you see trash, pick it up.I always do this. It may sound corny, but I consider it part of my "duty" as a hardcore Disney World fan.

Not only does it help keep the place clean, but I think when other guests see you do it it has kind of a "Pay It Forward" effect. Other people become more cognizant of helping keep the parks sparkling clean.

Well, we have been to DW the last 10 years in a row, and each year, the CM's have gotten ruder (is that a word?) and the parks are not nearly as clean. Yes, it is hot, crowded and other rude people add to the chaos, but, I have to say, the CM's applied for, interviewed for and accepted the position, therefore should DEAL WITH IT!! If I were in Customer Service and were rude to a customer, I probably would be in line to be fired!!Now this I agree with 110%. You'll notice that in my original post I never mentioned low pay as an excuse for bad CM behavior.

No one twisted their arms and forced them to take difficult jobs with low pay. If they don't like them and don't want to do them up to standards for whatever reason, then they need to move on. This is America ... each paid according to his or her own abilities. If your abilities are such that you can get a better job, then more power to you. If not, well .... that's not really my fault is it?

But even that I blame on the WDW management team, because the CM's don't even know what standards are anymore. Or they've been relaxed so far (due to lack of enforcement) that they actually are meeting standards. Either way it's management's fault, plain and simple.

I know the original post was about the decline in service but I guess in nearly ten years of visiting WDW these types of complaints hasn't dampened me or my family's time together.To be perfectly honest, in the last 10 years you really wouldn't have noticed much of a decline. This problem started long before that.

I, personally, think it's gotten slowly worse during that time period, but it isn't anywhere near the decline that's taken place as compared to the early days of WDW.

Goofster
08-13-2008, 02:32 PM
The month of August is the peak of the summer season. Throughout May, June, and July, WDW experiences huge volumes of crowds. By the time August comes around, the parks are in need of cleaning and mild refurbishments. However, it doesn't okay a CM bad mouthing a guest and it certainly doesn't okay why the place is a mess to begin with. It amazes me how selfish, spoiled and entitled our society has become. Where individuals will toss gum on rides or throw trash wherever they please or feel entitled to treat CMs like garbage. :mad:

thumperbug
08-13-2008, 02:41 PM
I too found the parks to be dirty on last trip in April. I do not blame the CM's at all. I see them trying to keep up with the trash. I blame the guests who don't give a hoot and just figure someone will clean up after them.

One late afternoon we went to ride Buzz Lightyear at MK and in the schrubs right next to entrance were just piles of garbage. It really upset me. People were just being pigs.

You can't walk 10 feet without hitting a trash can and it just amazes me how lazy and disrespectful people can be.

It was really upsetting. If my DS(6) even drops a piece of a cracker I immediately pick it up and people with a trash can within arms reach just leave their mess.

I can tell you this, if I see anyone leaving anything anywhere I will be the big mouth New Yorker that I am and make sure to say to them "Excuse me, you left your garbage behind" loug enough for everyone to hear.

I encourage everyone to do the same.

dteed
08-13-2008, 02:46 PM
Never really had a CM problem, everyone we have encountered has been great.

Mousemates
08-13-2008, 02:55 PM
Sounds like Six Flags. Not Disney. :hide2:

touche' :thumbsup:

but wait...I'm not sure that's a fair comparison to make. :hide: :hide2: :hide:

(all tongue in cheek, disney obviously has a bit of work to do in this area as well some other theme parks mentioned in prior threads. :secret:)

ilovemyjj31
08-13-2008, 08:13 PM
Well, I have to say we do live in a diff world..in a few ways..many people are straped for cash now cause of the "economy", they are raising the prices on everything..the kids of today for the most part are out of control little brats, that i guess there parents are used to there acting out, and we want them to be perfect angels in Disney. I know i got 3 kids, and they can get out of hand, but i did teach them manners, and to pick up after themselves, hold doors open ect, which is majorly lacking in this world anymore! But, think about it, you go to a store, how often is a door held for you? How often do you hear thanl you? Or your welcome? I know i very rarely hear those words anymore form the general public. I also think in Dinsney newbies want to get it all in in one day! They drag the kids around, there hot, cranky, and not used to walking 10 miles a day.
As far as trash, i am a Floridian, so i know to stay away from Disney in the summer..lol!! Its a madhouse, and people get in moods when its hot! But, i know there is no excuse for a cm being rude, but they are human too, and if your gonna let one person ruin your day, your missing on the whole Disney experience! Ya know, enjoy the time while your there..cause it goes by wayyy to fast!!!
Anyway..im done..lol!! I hope ya got the drift!
:mickey:
Have a zipeededooda day!!!

Mousemates
08-13-2008, 09:45 PM
As far as trash, i am a Floridian, so i know to stay away from Disney in the summer..lol!! Its a madhouse, and people get in moods when its hot! But, i know there is no excuse for a cm being rude, but they are human too, and if your gonna let one person ruin your day, your missing on the whole Disney experience! Ya know, enjoy the time while your there..cause it goes by wayyy to fast!!!

Sometimes the best thing to bring on vacation is a short memory...have we ever dealt with rude folks (even a CM) on a disney vacation...yep. can I remember any of them personally, no, not without a great deal of effort. And its that way on purpose, there are some people I simply choose to quickly forget.;)

laward32
08-13-2008, 09:59 PM
Try to remember who put the trash on the ground and the gum on the walls in the first place. It probably wasn't the CMs.
This is what I was going say. The CM did not put the trash everywhere. They can only clean it up so fast and it just seems to keep piling up on them. When we were there in Oct of last year, the trash was bad as well. All my mother and I could talk about was how lazy people are now a days. I made sure to tell my two DD's we needed to always put our trash where it belongs, and that's not the floor/ground. I think some people just think they can do whatever they want and they are on vacation and shouldn't have to clean up after themselves. They know there are CM who's job that is, but they are not our personal servants. Sorry, I will get off my:soapbox: now.:mickey:

Mickey91
08-13-2008, 10:05 PM
Well, I for one am not so quick to blow off the bad behavior to it "being hot". It has always been hot at Disney in the summer. The real problem is the society we live in. If you read some of the responses on this thread you will see what I mean. Subpar is the norm. Apparently it is all we should expect and therefore be happy with what little magic we get because it is all we're getting in this world today. This is totally unacceptable to me and should be to everyone who goes to Disney.

Yes, we all lose our cool, and yes the heat brings this quicker. But, a CM is supposed to be mature enough to look past this and do their job. I am really quite tired of rude guests being the excuse for rude CMs. If you work in the public you have to be ready to work with rude people with a smile. Especially at WDW. As another poster stated, they applied for the job, they need to do it to the best of their ability or go work someplace else. As for the trash, I am appalled at the people that leave their dining yuck all over the table at CS places!! Disney as a whole has become more slack in their "making it pretty" department. There are many signs of wear and tear and trash in places that you would have never seen before.

tmrworld
08-16-2008, 12:56 AM
I had a very similar experience too. It is a routine in my family to get the Haunted Mansion cast members to break character. This trip we didn’t have too two of them were ordering Mexican for lunch!!

When I was talking to a Dream Maker telling her what just happened at The HM, We both watched a porter step over the same pile of popcorn :popcorn: on the ground 3 times with a broom in his hand:thumbsup:.

I don’t know if is just me and a high expectation of Disney :magic: or is it truly falling down. There was a time where Disney set the bar so high others couldn’t even come close. Now I think they lowered the bar to keep up themselves.

:)I am an optimist so I will keep going back in hopes that I see it get better. because it is like an old friend that is having a hard time and you just want to help.:)

kathiep
08-16-2008, 09:51 AM
We have had 2 terrific trips the last 2 years and are eagerly awaiting our departure in 33 days. Overall, we have had wonderful experiences.

But, that's not to say we haven't seen some terrible behavior. (we just try to not let it ruin our vacation.)

As far as rudeness goes, I believe we all, guests as well as CM's, need to be held accountable for the general atmosphere at Disney. I am not excusing any CM's for being short or snippy with guests; yes, it's their job and should rise above it.

But let's face it - it's a group effort. Perhaps the CM's wouldn't have any reason to be cranky or annoyed if they received the same kind, considerate treatment from guests.

Guests can not go with an air of entitlement and expect continually superior service. If guests treat the CM's with the repsect they deserve, the CM's will be much more likely to provide exceptional service.

It's really just basic human kindness and consideration. We all are responsible for that.

andreallybadeggs
08-16-2008, 10:09 AM
* I understand that negative comments are sometimes necessary to bring about change and
I encourage others to give Disney feedback re. disappointing visits but I also believe that, most of the time, accentuating the positive is the best way to eliminate the negative.
** We've had a few less-than-wonderful experiences at WDW but for each of those there have been at least 10+ magical moments.
*** I have only reported a CM once and that was for the totally inappropriate way I saw her treat a guest I didn't know-- an obvious first timer who was very politely asking for help.
**** Years later and I am now the proud mother of a wonderful and enthusiastic CM so on her behalf I thank all of you who take the time to let them know they are appreciated.
***** Just a spoonful of sugar...
Zippity-doo-dah...
There's a great big beautiful tomorrow...
and now Pollyanna will shut up. :D

CaptSmee
08-16-2008, 06:46 PM
I must say I was dissapointed. The cast members and park were not what they used to be. DHS was dirty, cups and garbage on the ground, On the Splash mountian ride in MK there is gum stuck to the sides of the walls in the attraction. Turkey legs are thrown in the bushes and paper all about. NO Disney magic plus garabage! I notice the trash around the parks everytime I go and think to myself "What would Walt think of this?" And I don't blame the CM's because I see them going around cleaning and what not, but the inconsiderate slobs that tourists have become. WDW is sacred ground to me...you would never see me toss my cup over the stern of the Liberty Bell, or stick my gum on the wall of POC...sadly society is not what it used to be...

Friend of Figment
08-16-2008, 07:37 PM
We were at WDW the same time as the OP and we had a great time. I'm sorry for your disappointment. I don't recall garbage or rudeness.

MinnieMommie
08-16-2008, 08:18 PM
I am really sorry you had such a bad experience. We were at DW in June and everything was up to snuff. I know that August is much hotter and much more crowded contributing to less than desirable behavior all around.

I am surprised that the CM did not move you into the fastpass line when you told them you had a fastpass. Moving you into the fastpass line would have been quality service. In general I think the CMs are great but there can always be a problem from time to time.

Some CMs are on the college or some other short term program. I think there is a very short summer term thay can be a part of. Possibly the CM's who was not accomodating were short term help. Nonetheless, if this is upseting you you might want to pass along a complaint in writing to the appropriate source.

LauraleeH
08-16-2008, 10:40 PM
I know how disappointing that can be. I was there in December and while it was mostly clean, we had the WORST encounters with awful CM's. I wrote a letter and I got a response apologizing and thanking me for letting them know. When I went back in April, things were much better. I regret not writing a letter to THANK Disney...but I think I will next trip (Assuming I don't have a horrible time...but I'm not planning on it). I think it's important that I show my appreciation for all of Disney's efforts to make my vacation better. Maybe the CM's would make more of an effort if I were more patient and kind to them.

I'm sorry you had a bad trip. Definitely write a letter and let them know everything that happened. Hopefully you will be able to go again and have a great time.

waymickey
08-17-2008, 05:43 PM
I just noticed that one of my posts is gone poof.

I just contacted Disney about my experience. And while I was dissapointed I find myself now remembering more of the good times we had. :mickey:

As for August being hot and CMS being new. I always go in August . I am a teacher and it is the only time I have to go. It has never been like this in the past. I must of caught disney on an off week?? :confused:

I expect Disney to be really clean, so when I see gum or turkey legs it bothers me. It is not how Walt wanted this park.:(

I also expect CMs to be happy they are part of the show after all. But they are human. And we did encounter some GREAT CMs too.:thumbsup:

WEDTOPIA
08-17-2008, 08:20 PM
There is no way in the world that Disney could keep the parks as perfect as some people think they are supposed to be. I've watched guests spill, drop , and throw stuff any where they see fit . Apparently this behavior comes with the price of admission these days .

Considering that fact , the parks are still , amazingly clean . Complaining about gum or trash in a queue line doesn't make much sense , since there isn't a break in the lines in the Summertime , from opening till closing . They can only be cleaned after the parks close. So if you see trash at 2:00 in the afternoon , the odds are it will still be there at 10:00. That's not Disney's fault - it's a matter of logistics. If there is trash in a queue line at 9:00 a.m. , then that's a problem.

As far as the CM's are concerned - 50,000 work at Disney . If you find only 3 or 4 bad ones in a week's stay , heck ,even 10 or 12, you have just received better service than anyone else in the world can give you. Anyone.
Stop to think how many CM's you come in contact with in the course of a stay. How many smiled , thanked you , and did their job ( the Disney way ) ? The vast majority , of course . But , we still have to complain about the one bad egg. As if these people were Audio- Animatronics ,programmed by the Imagineers , and not flesh and blood humans.

I've said this in the past ,and I'll say it again - the CM's of 2008 are just as good as the CM's of 1981. The paying guest has , however , gotten way worse , and jaded.

julyjewel
08-17-2008, 08:41 PM
We just got back from Disney today Aug. 17th. We did notice the trash. The one thing we HATED was the use of FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY on just about every ride. I could hardly see when I would get off of the rides. CM's were not enforcing this at all. Then we were waiting in line at a character meet and the line was long. A family cut right to the front of the line and had all kinds of pictures done. That made many of us mad. The character attendant didn't say a word!

There are some really great people who work there and ther some not so great. The weirdest thing I saw was when we were getting off of Splash Mountain, a CM (don't know if it was a manager) told the CM they don't have to smile and wave at every boat that goes by. Working at an amusement park doesn't mean you are amused, I know, I worked at one. But for a possible manager to say that to a CM, was very disturbing.

I will post more about my experiences in my trip report.

thrillme
08-18-2008, 08:31 AM
I've only had ONE CM that I thought was a problem and he was so off base that I had to report him. He literally YELLED at us when we asked if we could "change" our roller coaster on cyberspace mountian...My son even had tears in his eyes asking what did we do so wrong...he was obviously angry about something and he took it out on us...I was so angry that I sought out a managr...I told him that we has a "less than magical experience and that I thought somebody let grumpy out of the park"...I then explained how the cast member jumped on us and pounded on the screen trying to erase the coaster...Either this CM had done this before or someone reported him for us because he strangely disappeared. The manager seemed to know who we were talking about. The manager apologized and gave us a coupon for a free video.

But overall most of the CM's are quite wonderful. Unfortunately I don't know what the problem is with so many guests that they are so "trashy". Some of them actually TRY to be trashy. People are so broken.

BigRedDad
08-18-2008, 09:02 AM
Without reading every single response to this thread, my experience was quite different back in April. my stay was as memorable as when I was growing up. The CMs are friendly and always willing to help. If they couldn't be of assistance, they either got someone that could or directed us to someone that could.

As for the trash on the ground, this has ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with the CMs. This is 100% society in general. People would not throw the trash on the ground in the middle of their home, so why is it done at WDW? Lack of respect. I have one memory when I was about 3 or 4 (1973/1974). I dropped a brand new popcorn box on the ground. It went everywhere. Before my dad told me to pick it up, a CM was already there with the sweeper cleaning it. Another CM had already gone back to get me a new box of popcorn. This is how the park was way back then. unfortunately, the park is now run as a corporation.

What WDW should do is implement a no-tolerance policy. Simply list several unacceptable behaviors that will have you removed from the park: littering, cutting lines, allowing your child to urinate while on the ground in line, foul language, etc. Make it easily known on every ticket and at the entrance line. This will allow Park Security to remove the people with no respect from others and get the park the way it was in the 70s and 80s when people respected themselves and others.

newcarsmell
08-18-2008, 03:52 PM
I agree with Kathiep - that we all need to be held accountable for the general atmosphere of WDW. Last year in the lobby of WL, I saw a shirtless teenager slumping in one of the chairs like he was at home. I wanted to take him a bowl of chips and a remote control. Across the way another teenager was lying down on a sofa reading. Good god, sit up! You're in a lobby! I thought about saying something to them or alerting a CM but did neither - now here I am, a year later talking about it. Bad behavior on their part. Bad decision on my part.

MMouse6937
08-18-2008, 04:46 PM
Truth-be-told, though, I would never expect WDW to go back to what it was (i.e. a Disneyland clone). WDW is the Disney cash cow. They milk it for all it's worth. If you want a true Disney theme park experience these days you have to go to Disneyland. They're still doing it right.

WOW, I couldn't disagree more, but then I guess that's a true testament to differing opinions. We went to DL two years ago, same time of year we always go to WDW and I couldn't have been more disappointed. CM were rude, complaining about anything and everything right out in front of everyone, very unhelpful, were outright shocked when we were polite to them, etc. The crowd control at DL was some of the worst I had ever seen. Very dirty, I always felt like there was something scummy on my hands, I can't tell you how many times I washed my hands and still got a horrible bronchitis (not that this was the sole responsibility, but felt so in my mind). Unbelievable. I honestly think that DL will be our once a decade park where you can give me my WDW any day, any month and I love it. I'm not sure what "doing it right" means but if DL has that market cornered, we're in big trouble!

A Big Kid
08-18-2008, 06:11 PM
But, I think a lot of the travel experience depends on what you bring to it. You can choose to see the trash and shake your head, or you can try to look around it to find the magic (which is admittedly sometimes harder than others, depending on the trash)..

I could not disagree more. The reason we chose Disney is because traditionally, you pay your fee and the "magic" is guaranteed. I should not have to look the other way to make sure there is magic.

My last trip, there was several disappointments, not the least of which was an exit sign just hanging by wires and light bulbs burned out on the outline of the Conty.

Mousemates
08-18-2008, 07:22 PM
What WDW should do is implement a no-tolerance policy. Simply list several unacceptable behaviors that will have you removed from the park: littering, cutting lines, allowing your child to urinate while on the ground in line, foul language, etc. Make it easily known on every ticket and at the entrance line. This will allow Park Security to remove the people with no respect from others and get the park the way it was in the 70s and 80s when people respected themselves and others.

Two things:

#1 Your post made me feel like I have seen WDW tourists at their best, because one of your banned behaviors (guess which one) is something I've never seen.

#2 My memories of the 80's are somewhat different, for weren't the young adults of the 80's (of which I am one) genrally considered to be one of the most materialistic and self-centered generations (i.e. the me generation). I think we have to probably go back to the 50's and early 60's to find the societal behavior your looking for (and many of us long for).

CaptainSad
08-18-2008, 08:10 PM
Just got back from an 8 day trip to DW. I must say I was dissapointed. The cast members and park were not what they used to be. DHS was dirty, cups and garbage on the ground, On the Splash mountian ride in MK there is gum stuck to the sides of the walls in the attraction. Turkey legs are thrown in the bushes and paper all about. As for the cast members no more cheery faces. I was in the laugh floor last row and over heard 3 cast members complain about the tourists, saying they are selfish and rude. I accidently got into the the single rider line on toy story mania with my fastpasses. I waited in line and when we got near the ride we seemed to be waiting along time. I asked the cast member why we had to wait so long and he said you are in single rider line, fast pass goes first. I showed him my fast pass and said we followed the cast member at the door when she said stay to the left. His response "sorry, too bad you are in the wrong line." The sign for fast pass and single rider is on the gates that swing open when we went in the ride at nidnight the gates were open with the sign facing the wall. No way to tell which line is which. I have been to Disney World dozens of times and this was the worst. NO Disney magic plus garabage!

You know I have been down to WDW 24 times over the years. Over 100 different day's at the parks. Maybe you have something against WDW. Do you ever think that it was you or someone in your family that is throwing Turkey legs in he bushes. Are your kids disposing their gum in the sidewalks or cracks. Did you ever think to pick up a wrapper or cup that may have been dropped. I know I have picked up trash and thrown it in the trash can. I'm not afraid. The CM's can't be in all places all the time. I have never seen or heard a CM say the things you have said. Every time I have been there I have had the greatest time of my life. WDW has over 16 million people a year go though the gates.

I am sure CM's have bad days from time to time. But not at the rate some of you are saying here.

If you have Fast Passes and go in the singles line then it is your fault. The attractions that have single or Fast Pass are clearly marked.

I don't know how you over heard 3 CM's say that in the Laugh floor. If I remember when I was in the last row and the show was in progress you couldn't hear a thing someone would say. Being as loud as it was. When I was in their, they did not stay inside. They usually stay outside until the show is about to end to tell you gather all your things and exit.

I think you need to chill and think what Disney is. If you see something on the ground pick it up. If there is something you don't like, ask a CM for a Manager and have it straightened out. Write to Disney. Don't come here and complain. There are a lot of good CM's that use this board to listen to what you have to say. I am sure Main Street Jim is one happy and lovable CM. The next time I am down I am going to look him up.

I just can't stand people that complain about the Happiest place on Earth.

Still the cleanest and Magical Resort anywhere in this country or the world.

Nurse Kim
08-18-2008, 08:13 PM
When my kids and I were there this past March we were so excited to be there that we didn't pay much attention to the CMs except for one particular CM at Epcot. We were standing at the rope and he started a conversation with us and was really interacting with the kids and took the time to tell them about things we should do since it was our first trip. We were then chosen family of the day at Epcot. It was a wonderful experience for us and it was funny because Epcot was our least favorite park.

The only thing we noticed was the restrooms needed some attention but what can you expect when you have hundreds of people using them and few CMs to clean them. Sorry to hear about your experience. I am one to bring it to someone's attention when I encounter a rude employee. I am paying for an experience and servicea nd I expect to get what I pay for. I did report the wonderful CM we encountered at Epcot.

CaptainJessicaSparrow
08-19-2008, 01:21 AM
There are a lot of good CM's that use this board to listen to what you have to say. I am sure Main Street Jim is one happy and lovable CM. The next time I am down I am going to look him up.

Awwwwww, I feel unloved.

Jim is so weird though!! (Hehe, joking!)

I listen to everything said on this board....and take it to heart as things to be improved as part of my corporate takeover strategy.

CaptainSad
08-19-2008, 08:01 AM
Sorry Jess, you too... ;)

SoaringEpcot
08-19-2008, 09:15 AM
I don't remember it being any dirty than it use to be, but I do remember going back in the 1980's and every 50 feet there was someone in all white sweeping up every speck of dirt and trash. I did not remember seeing as many recently as there use to be.

MNNHFLTX
08-19-2008, 01:00 PM
Moderator Note--

As a discussion board, people are allowed to post about their WDW experiences here--good and bad. I know we all love Disney World, but it is unrealistic to think that every person who walks through the gates has only positive experiences. So discuss, debate, what have you--just keep it civil and refrain from personal attacks against other posters.

BraddyB
08-19-2008, 01:02 PM
After reading all of this, I think Society is more to blame than a CM.

I dont think think it was the CM who littered. I think it was one of the inconsiderate people that attended. Odds are some who could careless since they are on vacation and they feel like they can do whatever because its "owed" to them.

I cant see how it was the CM fault that people dont read signs for the fastpass. If you are speeding and get pulled over because you didnt read the sign and were following someone else...its not the cops fault.

Honestly I cant blame a CM for being in a mood. They were probably young, overworked, and underpaid. Also he was probably told about wait time, length of the line, how hot it was, anything someone can complain about and he was probably at his breaking point.

So to wrap this up, dont blame them, blame the society you live in for these being acceptable. Instead of narrowing it down to one hold everyone including yourself accountable...what could you have done to resolve a problem instead of adding to it ??

MouseDAD74
08-19-2008, 01:49 PM
My family and I also had a disappointing visit. Not that we didn't enjoy ourselves,but we have grown accustomed to Disney's quality customer service - which on this trip was sorely lacking. To start off, we noticed that the parks seemed to be severly understaffed . On two rides (Jungle Cruise & the Laugh Floor) cast members were cursing in front of and to my children, which is inexcusable. Then while leaving the park at the gates,my sister-in-law was yelled at by a cast member for opening the exit door herself to get her stroller through. He was standing a few gates down and actually said "Why do you think I'm standing over here?" She was so upset that she did go back and speak to the man about his behavior. I can remember the days where buses ran every 20 minutes -I'm afraid those days are gone. Wait times for buses were on average 35 - 45 minutes. The breakdown in service was most clearly demonstrated not only in the inability of cast members to communicate in English, but our group requested an additional chair while staying at Old Key West and when it was delivered to the room, it was in three pieces! When we called the front desk and jokingly requested a screwdriver and some screws to put it together- the lady on the phone was unable to understand the sarcasm explaining she would send them over with a maintenance worker. The worker did come over and was very apologetic which helped out the situation tremedously. He was a true cast member. It's almost like WDW has been infiltrated by imposter cast members. Lets hope this is addressed by management soon, because quality control is sorely lacking.

MickeyChick
08-19-2008, 01:57 PM
Wow, it's amazing to me how two people could be in the same place at the same time and have two vastly different experiences. I just got back home from WDW last night and my sweetie and I had a wonderful trip despite intense heat/humidity, blisters and crowds.

We didn't have any bad experiences with cast members-- only good ones-- and very little wait for anything, buses, rides, food, you name it.

I did notice a little more trash around than I would expect so I picked it up and put it in a trashcan.

Mousemates
08-19-2008, 04:03 PM
Wow, it's amazing ...how two people could be in the same place at the same time and have two vastly different experiences.

Well, its not all that amazing when you stop and consider how big Walt Disney World is in terms of both area and the number of employees. Remember what we find in each of these posts is an unscientific sample of one (one individuals experience, on one given day and their individual perception or interpretation of it).

To me its obvious that Disney still gets the customer service thing right far more often than they get it wrong, otherwise the turnstiles wouldn't keep clickin' (and we wouldn't remain interested enough in a mouse-based Florida themepark :mickey: to habitually come on on-line and obsess over the things we love and critique the things we see as being wrong.

However, (and this is not directed towards my quoted poster but is more of a general statement) Disney can and does occasionally get the customer service thing very wrong ...and if a person has the misfortune of randomly enocuntering a couple of ill mannered cast members and an area of the park where janitorial services are lacking for whatever reason...and they complain about it (which they should)...then we ought not be so quick to get defensive about their words (as thou someone has slandered our mom, our truck or our dog :mickey:) or (as some others have said) "not be able to stand" :mad: them, but simply realize that they had a different experience than our own and likely have a good reason for the criticism they level.

:twocents:

jszczur5
08-19-2008, 05:50 PM

It sounds to me like more of your complaints stem from rude park guests, rather than from sub-par CM's. Who put the gum on the Splash Mountain wall? Not a CM - a rude guest. Who threw the turkey legs in the bushes? A CM? Again, a rude tourist. So yes, maybe it was not appropriate for the CM's at Laugh Floor to complain about us, but really, it sounds as if we deserve it. My husband comments every year that people are becoming less polite. No complaints about the CM's though.
We will be arriving at WDW in less than a week, and I will make it my personal mission to be extra considerate. Maybe it's our turn as park guests to add some magic!

crazypoohbear
08-19-2008, 09:20 PM
I think we as a society need to speak up and say something.
When you see someone litter then just go up to them and say "Excuse me, you dropped that, did you want it or do you need assistance finding a trash can?"
When you see or hear someone being rude to someone else step in and say "excuse me but you don't need to speak to him/her like that it's rude"

If you see trash while in line when you get to the front of the line tell the cast member "excuse me but there is a ton of trash in the line could you please call someone to clean it up."

A big part of the problem is that people who are rude and litter know that they will not have their actions called. We need to start calling people on their actions in a polite non confrontational manner. Maybe a little embarrassment would go a long way

Ian
08-20-2008, 11:55 AM
Wow, it's amazing to me how two people could be in the same place at the same time and have two vastly different experiences.Well, there are two sides to every story. For everyone who accuses people who point out Disney's deficiencies of being "negative" I can point out someone who consistently turns a blind eye to Disney's obvious flaws and call them a "Pollyana."

I think the truth probably lies somewhere in the middle between the Rose Colored Glasses crowd and the Glass is 3/4 Empty crowd.

It's almost undeniable that Disney's service, maintenance, ride and show quality, and innovation have declined in the past 10-15 years. People will say I'm wrong, but they'll be wrong in saying it. I've been there 50+ times over the last decade. I've seen it with my own eyes.

But it's also not as bad as some people (not necessarily the OP, just "people" in general) make it out to be. It's still a darn good time. It's still a country mile cleaner than most any other theme park and the cast is still on average friendlier and more helpful than what you get in other places.

I really believe that most of it stems from expectations, when you first visited WDW, what your overall outlook is on life, etc. I mean some people just refuse to see the negative in life. It's not good or bad to be that way ... it's just the way some folks are wired. Others are more demanding and expect more for their money. That's not good or bad either ... it just is.

And the truth is, some of this is not Disney's fault at all ... at least not directly. I mean when they opened DL (and to a lesser degree WDW), it was viewed by many as a place from which to launch a career in show business. Disney experience looked great on a resume. In fact, many famous people were once Disney cast members at one time or another, including Steve Martin who worked in DL's magic shop. They were willing to work for a few years for relatively low pay in order to get that resume building experience.

For whatever reason, that doesn't fly now. It's a lot harder ... A LOT harder ... to find people willing to work for what Disney can afford to pay and maintain profitability, while at the same time being willing to live up to Disney's standards. I mean if you think about it, the average Disney cast member probably makes on par with (if not less) than a McDonald's employee. Yet we'd never dream of holding a guy slinging burgers at Mickey D's to the same standard we'd hold a Disney CM.

Anyway, the point in this big long-winded post is that, it's very possible for two people to go to the same place, at the same time, and have a very different experience. That, in and of itself, is proof positive that Disney's service and standards have declined over the years, because in the early days that wasn't possible. Everyone went and everyone had an incredible time. That's just how it was.

When you see or hear someone being rude to someone else step in and say "excuse me but you don't need to speak to him/her like that it's rude"Sorry ... I agree with you in principle, but this sounds like a great way to catch a fist in the face.

Austin832
08-20-2008, 01:23 PM
As a current WDW CM let me add my perspective to this discussion. I work in Photopass at Typhoon Lagoon and Blizzard Beach but have also worked at the Magic Kingdom in Photopass as well as in Custodial and worked at Port Orleans Resort in Bell Services, Dispatch, Runner, and Front Desk.

Ian brings up an interesting point that I was going to bring up myself, and that is that people (especially Americans) are not willing to take these low paying dirty jobs like they used to. Back in the 70s, people in general took their jobs more seriously and were grateful for the opportunity to have a job with a respected company like Disney, even if it was in Custodial. They took their jobs seriously and were proud of their work and working for Disney. Come back to today, I guarantee that any of you could come by Casting today, apply for Custodial, and get accepted on the spot, that's how short they are for Custodial. Americans consider themselves "too good" for a position like that, everyone wants the more glamorous positions (Entertainment, GMR Tour Guide, etc.). I was a Campus Rep for a year and a half, and most of the positions for the College and CareerStart Programs are in Custodial and Food and Beverage. I can't tell you how many times I've heard from college students "ewww, that's such a nasty job, I would never take that" or "I'll only accept a position that is in Entertainment or something closely related to my major". Everyone wants to be a Jungle Cruise skipper, Kilimanjaro Safaris Tour Guide, a Boat Captain, friends with Cinderella or Aurora. It is very hard to find people who will do the dirty work, the work that keeps the place running. And those who do get those positions, such as Custodial and Food and Beverage, they are constantly looking for a way out because they don't want to be there (they just need a paycheck), they are not really happy to be there. It all goes back to the fact that a lot of Americans simply do not want to do the hard manual labor jobs anymore.

The other aspect that no one has touched upon is the sheer size of Disney. Back in the 70s, when everything was "perfect", Disney was much more contained. You had 1 theme park (Magic Kingdom), 2 resorts (Contemporary and Polynesian), and the Fort Wilderness Campground area. Disney did not need nearly as many Cast Members to operate all of the areas and therefore could be much more selective on who they would hire. Disney in my opinion has grown so big that it is hard to keep on top of everything, and with so many Cast Members (over 50,000) and so many Managers, it is much harder now than it was back in the 70s to keep that message of creating the magic consistent. I know of one Cast Member in my department at Water Parks who got in trouble for "honoring" a guest request. This Cast Member left the area he was supposed to take pictures at to honor a guest request for a special shot. The manager said that while the Cast Member was gone, he or she missed many opportunities for shot at their area. So according to this manager, the guest request should have been "denied". That goes against everything that a Cast Member is taught in Traditions. That is the problem with Disney right now though, it is so big and there are so many managers, that the message is not consistent. One manager will tell you one thing, and another manager will tell you the exact opposite, and that leaves the Cast Member unsure of how to handle the situation.

Most CM's still have the Disney magic and go out of their way to help the guest. There are some (because of Disney's desperation for workers) who get through the cracks and are just there for a paycheck, but they are a big minority. The problem is really with management and leadership not sending a consistent message. WDW has grown so big that the executive leaders have lost control over a single message (creating the magic) and maintaining consistency. That's why you can unfortunately easily have 2 families on vacation at the same time, one having a great experience and one having a horrible experience. Do I know the answer on how to solve the problem, not really. All of the reasons I have listed above are reasons why Disney is not the same as it was back in the 70s and probably never will be again. Disney is not immune to changes in society, it is directly affected by those changes.

I will tell all of you that there are still many great CM's out there who go out of their way to help the guest. The vast majority of us do honestly care even when our efforts are sometimes thwarted by outside forces. The executives and leaders need to make it easier on the CM's to create that magic.

Mousemates
08-20-2008, 01:45 PM
As a current WDW CM let me add my perspective to this discussion......I will tell all of you that there are still many great CM's out there who go out of their way to help the guest. The vast majority of us do honestly care even when our efforts are sometimes thwarted by outside forces. The executives and leaders need to make it easier on the CM's to create that magic.

Great post :thumbsup:

Mousemates
08-20-2008, 01:54 PM
crazypoohbear When you see or hear someone being rude to someone else step in and say "excuse me but you don't need to speak to him/her like that it's rude"

Sorry ... I agree with you in principle, but this sounds like a great way to catch a fist in the face.

Ditto: Or at least catch the kind of verbiage that might make you very embarrassed and spoil the day for everyone in your group.

I agree wholeheartedly about stepping in to protect someone in danger, or to come to the side of someone being intimidated by a bully type...but stepping in each time we see rudeness in a themepark is a bit much and IMO likely not to decrease rudeness as much as it is to increase heated confrontations that escalate into day ruiners for everyone involved.

Nascfan
08-20-2008, 01:57 PM
As a current WDW CM let me add my perspective to this discussion.

I only quoted the first sentence in the interest of space, but Austin832, that entire post is without a doubt one of the best I've ever read, by anyone. And I think you truly hit the nail on the head as to why 2 different guests even in the same park on the same day may have 2 completely different experiences. Thanks for your insight. :thumbsup:

JerseyDad
08-20-2008, 02:10 PM

....and it wasn't ME!!!

.....seriously...WDW (in my past experience) is / was SO clean...that I'd be guilted into not dropping trash on the ground!! I hope there really isn't a negative turn happening there....because I do so very badly need my Mickey Fix this fall....and I hope I'll see the same clean grounds that I'm accustomed to.

BelleCiavo
08-20-2008, 02:22 PM
. While trudging out of the park on the way to my car I am frequently stopped by guests asking directions or asking me to take their photo. It's tempting to say "no, I'm off the clock". But any CM who truly understands the CM role and how much is expected from him or her will take the time to stop, smile and make one last effort to be helpful and friendly.

I think I'd bring a change of clothes Ron :mickey:

BelleCiavo
08-20-2008, 02:36 PM
On two rides (Jungle Cruise & the Laugh Floor) cast members were cursing in front of and to my children, which is inexcusable.

What? I really can't imagine this happening. I hope you reported them immediately and wrote a letter.

Ian
08-20-2008, 02:46 PM
As a current WDW CM let me add my perspective to this discussion.Awesome post. Totally awesome. I agree 110%. I think you're spot on (and incredibly insightful) with everything you said.

I always blame management and executive leadership for the failures of the rank and file. Bottom line is if the WDW leadership team actually cared about sticking to the company's core values, they would see to it that the rank and file did what they were supposed to do.

BelleCiavo
08-20-2008, 02:50 PM
I will tell all of you that there are still many great CM's out there who go out of their way to help the guest. The vast majority of us do honestly care even when our efforts are sometimes thwarted by outside forces. The executives and leaders need to make it easier on the CM's to create that magic.

Thank you. :mickey: I have only met two really rude CMs in our 1/2 dozen trips so far. Most have been at least cheery and quite a few have been even more so (Michal in Harmony Barber Shop, Art at the Beach Club, the unknown CM who gave my hot son a brand new squirting fan because his batteries died.)

Cheers :thumbsup:

Karen

Austin832
08-20-2008, 04:21 PM
Thank you all for the comments. I just wanted to put my two cents in because it does hurt when people think that CM's don't care anymore, because I know so many who do. Obviously there are some, due to Disney having to lower their standards to fill positions, that in my opinion have no business being Cast Members, but they are the minority.

What you have to remember is that very few work for Disney because of the money. Disney's pay, for front-line CM's and even front-line Managers, is well below what we could get somewhere else. Almost all of us, if we tried hard enough, could find a comparable job somewhere else where we would make more money. Disney is truly a unique company to work for though, because you can make a difference on an every day basis, you just aren't another person typing in information on a computer. Most of us grew up loving Disney, and that's what keeps us working down here. Working for Disney is definitely a roller-coaster ride itself, you have days where you just get abused by the guests and where nothing will go right (you take a photo for someone who doesn't want it and miss someone who really wanted their photo for example) and you wonder if it's really worth it. Then another day you get into a half hour long conversation with a princess and when the parents finally say they have to go home, she cries and gives you a hug. That makes you so happy that you have to walk off stage so you can get the tears out yourself. It makes you remember why you wanted to work here in the first place and why Disney is different than any other company.

On the other hand, as a previous poster mentioned, you can also change how a CM's day is going. If you interact with a CM, and he/she seems like he is having a bad day, just wave to them or tell them how much you appreciate them going above and beyond. Given, to some CM's it won't do anything, that's just who they are. But I can tell you that you could also salvage a CM's day and change their mood completely just by doing that. Then who knows, that CM might just make a dream come true for you or someone else later in the day that probably would not have happened if hadn't complimented them. We all realize that we work in what is for the most part a thankless job being out in the parks, which makes it so much better when someone actually recognizes us and shows us that people do care.

With that said, I do hope that all of you have a great time whenever you next visit WDW. :wave:

Austin

waymickey
08-21-2008, 09:25 PM
You know I have been down to WDW 24 times over the years. Over 100 different day's at the parks. Maybe you have something against WDW. Do you ever think that it was you or someone in your family that is throwing Turkey legs in he bushes. Are your kids disposing their gum in the sidewalks or cracks. Did you ever think to pick up a wrapper or cup that may have been dropped. I know I have picked up trash and thrown it in the trash can. I'm not afraid. The CM's can't be in all places all the time. I have never seen or heard a CM say the things you have said. Every time I have been there I have had the greatest time of my life. WDW has over 16 million people a year go though the gates.

I am sure CM's have bad days from time to time. But not at the rate some of you are saying here.

If you have Fast Passes and go in the singles line then it is your fault. The attractions that have single or Fast Pass are clearly marked.

I don't know how you over heard 3 CM's say that in the Laugh floor. If I remember when I was in the last row and the show was in progress you couldn't hear a thing someone would say. Being as loud as it was. When I was in their, they did not stay inside. They usually stay outside until the show is about to end to tell you gather all your things and exit.

I think you need to chill and think what Disney is. If you see something on the ground pick it up. If there is something you don't like, ask a CM for a Manager and have it straightened out. Write to Disney. Don't come here and complain. There are a lot of good CM's that use this board to listen to what you have to say. I am sure Main Street Jim is one happy and lovable CM. The next time I am down I am going to look him up.

I just can't stand people that complain about the Happiest place on Earth.

Still the cleanest and Magical Resort anywhere in this country or the world.

Dude You need to calm down. I have nothing against WDW, I love the place. I have been there many, many times myself. However on this last trip the magic wasn't as sparkly.

I heard the CMs in laugh floor cause they did not leave and stood directly behind me talking loudly through out the show. How they can possibly leave during the show is beyond me since the one CM had a mic in is hand to bring to guests who were up on the screen.

I did complain to managers, I did write, and I did pick up trash I saw on the ground. No I did not touch chewed gum or half eaten turkey legs.
I also said thank-you to every CM I came across. Bus drivers, boat pilots, ride operators and so on. And no no one im my family threw gum on the ground or turkey legs, that commment was just dumb.

Yes getting in the wrong line was my fault. The lines are clearly marked and if there wasn't forty thousand people in front of me and if the gate was not held open I would have seen it. But I made a mistake and that gives the CM the right to be rude I guess. Give me a break. He could have easily said I am sorry you are in the wrong line, the fast pass line is over here in a clam manner.

BWayGrl
08-25-2008, 12:53 PM
My boyfriend and I just got back from WDW two days ago. I had a wonderful time. I'm 21 and I've been going to WDW since I was five. My boyfriend's a little older, and he's only been there a few times. We didn't have a problem with the buses at all, and didn't really notice a lot of trash, or rude CMs. The only thing we both had a problem with was the quality of food for the high price. I understand that the cost of everything is going up in our economy, but I remember when the food just tasted better. On this recent trip, I noticed that the burgers were almost all bun surrounding a very thin slab of meat. The eggs we had for breakfast at the hotel were dry...even at the Sci-Fi, which is obviously a little more pricy than a quick-service meal, my steak was overcooked on one half, and undercooked on the other half.

Also, is it just me or is the DDP a hassle? My boyfriend and I didn't get the DDP but we always ended up in line behind someone at the hotel (Pop Century) who had it. Every time, the cashier had to explain that certain items were not included on the DDP, so the customer would run to put something back, or swap something out. We paid with cash and it seemed so much faster. I understand that it's nice to have all your meals prepaid, but it seems confusing.

The only other complaint I had was with some of the rides. Disney keeps changing good, classic rides, and making them worse. I'll try not to go into too much detail, but I was not happy with the new SE in Epcot, or the Grand Fiesta Tour in Mexico. I refuse to ride Stitch's Great Escape, and I really miss Mr. Toad's Wild Ride. I always thought it would be neat to have a park that had vintage Disney rides, like Horizons, World of Motion, 20,000 Leagues, the original Journey into Imagination...stuff like that.

Other than those complaints (and Tropical Storm Fay) we both had a wonderful, and magical time, and no matter how old I get, I am still a big kid, and WDW still excites me and makes me cry tears of happiness!!! :mickey:

sdewan
08-25-2008, 01:57 PM
We just returned from an 8-night stay, and I can't recall having any problems with rude cast members. However, I did perceive that the competency of some of the cast members was less than I remember. This might be because the summer season just ended and many college students just returned to school. We asked a question about some of the fish in The Seas to a cast member, and he basically said "I'm very new. I have no idea."

The Disney Magic was still there for us though. The only valid complaint we had was the condition of the hotel rooms. We spent 2 nights in Animal Kingdom Lodge with a Savanna view, and 6-nights in the Beach Club Villas. Both rooms had a lot of "minor" issues like big stains on the carpet, burned out light bulbs, broken door locks, dirty towels, etc. We hope this is because it is the end of the busy season and they've been too full to perform regular maintenance (normally we go in May). But it was apparent that these rather expensive hotel rooms did not live up to the standards that we've come to expect of WDW.