PDA

View Full Version : Fort Wilderness Cabins - to stay or not?

Minniefan68
08-11-2008, 05:27 PM
We are planning our 2009 trip - 6 of us in our family. We usually stay at BWV or BCV, want to do something different next year.

My aunt recommended Fort Wilderness - what's the general consensus? Great, good or fair?

Any and all tips welcome!

C :minnie2:

summerRose
08-11-2008, 06:30 PM
Six of us stayed in the cabin for a week. I would do it again even if all of us don't go on the next trip. There is something nice about feeling like you are getting away from all the hub bub of the day. It's like two vacations in one. One is at Disney anmd the other is at a wooded resort with your own place/cabin.

Loved having a kitchen . we would go back for dinner, relax then head back to a park.

i can't say enough about how much it added to my enjoyment of the trip.

Mater
08-11-2008, 06:39 PM
Our family of 6 loves to stay at the Ft Wilderness Cabins. The seclusion is great, we truly feel relaxed at when we are there. We also like the fact that we can drive right up to the cabin and park and not have a long walk at the end of a long day. To make a stay at the cabins convenient, you'll probably want to have a car, or rent a golf cart for a stay at the cabins.

You'll want to keep in mind that there is only one bathroom --if you are used to staying in a villa with more than one bathroom, this can be a bit of an inconvenience. Also, we put our 4 kids in the bedroom, which leaves my wife and I with the full size murphy bed in the living room. The bed is a bit smaller than we like, but it certainly works.

We like the cabins the best of all the family accomodations on property. Ft Wilderness is probably the most relaxing place in the "World," my blood pressure drops as soon as I arrive.

faline
08-11-2008, 06:43 PM
I'd say "It depends". Many folks, myself included, love the cabins; others hate them. It's very different from staying at Beach Club or Boardwalk.

First off, you can't walk to any parks. You essentially need to take two forms of transportation to get to any of the parks. If you want to eat, you will need to go to the restaurant or eat in your own kitchen.

It is very quiet It's like having your own home with no neighbors up or down and none connecting on either side as well. It is a more laidback way to stay in Disney World.

SFTrny
08-13-2008, 12:25 AM
My family LOVES the cabins at FW. After two years at FW, I suggested that we should stay somewhere else on our next trip and was unanimously overruled! FW is a lot different than the other resorts, but we wouldn't trade it for any of the others. Make sure you rent a cart and take advantage of the kitchen!

bruin1344
08-13-2008, 01:13 PM
i enjoyed FW when i stayed there when i was very young, so much to do there

KAT1811
08-13-2008, 02:59 PM
We have stayed (many, many years ago; when I was a child, now I have 3 of my own) at the Cabins and loved it. We have thought about it and decided against it for now. The major reason why is the transportation issue. It is bad enough to fight one bus with 3 kids and a double stroller, I have NO desire to make it two busses.

That being said we'll maybe take a trip over to FW and check them out if we have time on this trip. If the camping thing is something you enjoy and you don't mind being further out I say go for it. You can always go back to BCV on your next trip. For us we are all about simplicity these days. The easier things are the better. When the children get older (11, 3 1/2, 1 1/2, and one on the way) we'll possibly venture further out but for now we'll stay as close as possible.