PDA

View Full Version : Spider bite?

Minnie Imagineer
08-11-2008, 11:14 AM
I was at work last week and I was opening a drawer with a knob. When I touched the bottom of the knob, I felt a sharp pain in my index finger and suddenly the top half of my index finger went numb. Someone there thought it could have been a spider bite. (I work in an ice creamparlour /water park). Ever since, I have had these tiny red spots on the tip of my index finger, but they are in the inside of my skin, not the outside. And a few hours after the 'bite' the pain went away. I did not see anything on/around the drawer but is it a coincidence that the drawer had sharp objects on it (knives, scissors...)??? But reminder: the 'bite' happened before the drawer was actually open.

Does anyone know what this could have been?? A bite, a sting??? And what are the red dots on my finger?

Thanks for any help!

SBETigg
08-11-2008, 12:36 PM
It does sound like a bite or sting, or you came in contact with something that you are allergic to, but it probably wouldn't have flared up so sharply in that case. Or something electrical? Any electric cords or outlets in the area?

Some spider bites can be extremely dangerous, but it seems this one is probably just causing temporary discomfort at the bite area. If it continues to give you trouble or if it gets worse, maybe get a medical opinion. But for now, I would probably put a topical disinfectant and some moisturizer on it and expect the red dots to go away in a few days.

MississippiDisneyFreak
08-11-2008, 12:39 PM
I was bitten by a brown recluse once and never even felt when I got bit. It almost sounded like an electrical shock to me, is that possible?

Strmchsr
08-11-2008, 12:39 PM
Don't know what it was, but if it was a spider bite it wouldn't have gone away so quickly. Those can sometimes be pretty nasty.

Mousemates
08-11-2008, 01:04 PM
The pain went away...but is the finger red, swollen, etc...or has everything returned to normal...except for the red dots.

Scar
08-11-2008, 02:22 PM
Sounds like a spider to me.

It is not an electrical shock. The "numbness" of an electrical shock (at least one localized to the tip of a finger) would not last more than a minute or so. And I can’t believe there would be any live wires under the knob of a drawer that is being opened and closed all the time.

MNNHFLTX
08-11-2008, 02:53 PM
Any of the spider bites I have seen have been a single noticeable sting mark, surrounded by red, usually raised tissue. That said, I have no idea what else might have caused your symptoms. There were no jagged edges (metal or wood) under the knob? Did anyone take out the drawer to take a closer look at it or see if they saw any insects (spider, ants, etc.) there?

pink
08-11-2008, 06:50 PM
I don't know if this helps or not but when I was bit by a spider you could clearly see two dots on my finger. :mickey:

garymacd
08-11-2008, 10:05 PM
My beloved wife gets bitten at least once by a spider each trip to WDW. She feels your pain.

They can be nasty. Watch for signs of infection. If it really hurts, get some benadryl cream.

Mousemates
08-12-2008, 12:29 AM
My beloved wife gets bitten at least once by a spider each trip to WDW. She feels your pain.

They can be nasty. Watch for signs of infection. If it really hurts, get some benadryl cream.

Given your trip count thats a lot of spider bites. (Couldn't resist :blush:, I recognized your use of hyperbole, but dang, that would be an awful lot of spider bites). Your right about the nasty part, I've seen some ugly brown recluse bites (and the scars they can leave behind).

garymacd
08-14-2008, 08:43 PM
Given your trip count thats a lot of spider bites. (Couldn't resist :blush:, I recognized your use of hyperbole, but dang, that would be an awful lot of spider bites).

Wish I could say I was exaggerating, sometimes she would be bitten twice. Always on the feet or ankles. Nasty. And a long time healing.

IamBelle
08-15-2008, 08:00 PM
i know someone who was stung by a bee and was allergic and she has red dots all over the area where she was stung. are you sure you are not slightly allergic to bee stings or spider bites??

garymacd
08-15-2008, 08:38 PM
No allergies, as far as we know, and she didn't show any signs of anaphylaxis. Just really sore bite marks.