PDA

View Full Version : Soak it in or run for it?

Momto3littlemice
08-11-2008, 10:35 AM
So, my question is for all of you that arrive at the parks before they open. When they drop the rope... do you soak it all in (on Main Street for instance, gazing at the castle...) or do you make a run for your favorite ride?

I particularly ask this question because we are runners... but now that we have kids, I wonder if we should stop and enjoy a bit more when we first arrive. I don't want their only memories of Disney to be whizzing around in a stroller :)

brownie
08-11-2008, 10:47 AM
No need to run, but we don't waste time soaking it in; there's plenty of time for that later.

c&d
08-11-2008, 10:56 AM
I say walk. With kids part of the fun is seeing it through their eyes and watching them enjoy all the sights and sounds.

Nurse Kim
08-11-2008, 11:00 AM
When we went for the first time we stopped on main street and had the photopass photographer take our picture and then we were off at a brisk walk but not running. On our next trip since my DH is going with us and it's his first trip in over 25 years we will take our time but that is why our trip is 10 days. You might consider a breakfast ADR to get in the park when it's almost empty and take a few minutes to soak it in on your way to your ADR. We are planning to have breakfast at Crystal Palace so we can get a family photo with the castle in the background without other people in the backgraound as well.

BMan62
08-11-2008, 11:24 AM
Have always just soaked it in.

There is no need to rush, the rides will be there when I get to them and there is just so much atmosphere to soak up!! If I have to wait a while, well, there's always Fastpass!!!

Of course, it always helps that we only visit during value seasons!!

jenny1976
08-11-2008, 11:37 AM
With little ones, it's better to take it all in and enjoy their reaction.
I hope all your future memmories are WONDERFUL ONES!!!!!:cloud9:

SBETigg
08-11-2008, 11:59 AM
On our first and maybe second day, we run for it. On the subsequent visits, we soak it in. We spend a lot of time in the MK and Epcot on each trip.

bruin1344
08-11-2008, 01:18 PM
i never run because i dont waste all my energy since i will be doing a ton of walking that day

indytraveler
08-11-2008, 01:39 PM
We are usually trying to keep together as everyone hurries off for their favorite ride. We do however, stop in front of the castle for our annual picture. But then its off for the rides.

Marker
08-11-2008, 01:39 PM
With kids along, you're touring style is going to change anyway, and your priorities will change.

Remember, you are "Making Memories". Not just theirs, but yours as well. Let the little ones really experience the magic for themselves, and not as your baggage.

If you allow the little ones their time to enjoy and to explore in a way that suits them, you'll no doubt see and enjoy WDW in way you've never experienced, through their eyes. The delight in their eyes, will go straight to your heart, and suddenly Space Mountain just won't seem quite as important.

MississippiDisneyFreak
08-11-2008, 01:45 PM
As a former soaker, we plan to run for it this trip because we missed some attractions last time (Space Mountain for one):)

Mousemates
08-11-2008, 02:31 PM
[QUOTE=Nurse Kim;1712120]You might consider a breakfast ADR to get in the park when it's almost empty and take a few minutes to soak it in on your way to your ADR. [QUOTE]

That a good idea, especially for folks who might want to do some soaking, but just can't bring themselves to make a break for space mountain (like us most trips). We tend to stay till closing and do our soaking after dark....nothing quite like strolling down main street when the park is winding down and the big exodus has already departed.

Imagineer1981
08-11-2008, 02:32 PM
soak it in...let the kids experience it all

Faver
08-11-2008, 02:52 PM
In trips past, we'd run.... now we take our time. It's really beautiful to me.

gerald72
08-11-2008, 03:16 PM
When we went for the first time we stopped on main street and had the photopass photographer take our picture and then we were off at a brisk walk but not running. On our next trip since my DH is going with us and it's his first trip in over 25 years we will take our time but that is why our trip is 10 days. You might consider a breakfast ADR to get in the park when it's almost empty and take a few minutes to soak it in on your way to your ADR. We are planning to have breakfast at Crystal Palace so we can get a family photo with the castle in the background without other people in the backgraound as well.

I think this was your best advice. Get an ADR for an hour before the park opens, and then stroll casually up Main Street before the crowds. Then after you eat, you are halfway to the attractions.

moe513
08-11-2008, 03:21 PM
Get to Dumbo and Peter Pan before the lines get long. I would do the soaking up when the lines are long.

Jasper
08-11-2008, 03:50 PM
I think one important thing several posters here are forgetting is that you say you will pushing a stroller. As someone who has tried to move quickly with a stroller and as someone who has been run over by a stroller I would NEVER recommend rushing with a stroller. If someone in your party wants to rush to an attraction while the other takes their time with the stroller that is one thing, but I would never try to come anywhere close to a run with the stroller both for your sake, the sake of other guests, and most importantly for the sake of your child(dren)!

joonyer
08-11-2008, 03:56 PM
We do BOTH!, because we always visit most parks several times during each trip, and MK several times. At least one morning, at least when my boys were younger and into character autographs, we'd get to MK before opening on an early EMH day, and spend a couple of hours just getting autographs and taking pictures in town Square and Main Street. Then on another morning we'd get there at rope drop and head straight to Frontierland so we could ride our favorites, Splash and Big Thunder, several times before the lines get long enough to make you wait.

KayDee
08-11-2008, 09:24 PM
Well we walk at a good pace at opening at AK for KS and at EPCOT for Soarin.No need to run.

ParkMan
08-11-2008, 10:44 PM
We soak it in. The only time we "run" is when we leave the kids at home and just have to do Space Mountain as many times as possible. Even then, our run isn't really a run.

My favorite way to start the day is get there early and have breakfast at the Main Street Bakery. Then we stroll down Main Street and just soak it in.

Our kids have really pushed us to go slow. They love to stop & look at everything.

ilovemyjj31
08-13-2008, 08:18 PM
RUNN FORREST RUNNNN!!
LOL..na at MK i walk as slow as i can to round the corner and creep up in the castle, cause i been there 20 times, and the tears still fall..
Then i runnn,,lol!!!::thumbsup: