PDA

View Full Version : The Truth Please! Just how busy is it in September during Free Dining?

WDWCrazyKaren
08-11-2008, 09:54 AM
Now that plans are changing and the January trip has become a September trip in 2009, assuming they will offer free dining again (please!), just how busy has September become? It used to be very quiet in September, but I have a feeling that it's becoming one of the more crowded times of the year. What are the thoughts of folks here about the crowds in September?

Thanks!

Karen

devoted93
08-11-2008, 10:09 AM
It's definitely more crowded than it used to be, but it's still not approaching "busy" at most places. Last year, a friend and I were able to hit almost everything we wanted to hit with few, if any lines topping 15 minutes. We noticed that the longest lines were at Animal Kingdom and (of course) on Soarin'. Otherwise, it wasn't that much more crowded than it had been in previous years. September is definitely my favorite time to visit.

Strmchsr
08-11-2008, 10:32 AM
As WDW planned, with the "free" dining crowds have consistently gone up each September. Now people are planning on September trips based on "free" dining so this year will be more crowded than last year and 09 will be more crowded than 08. Whether they offer it next year or not so many people are now waiting on this one promotion that crowds are bound to go up. Just plan on it. Still, with hurricane season at its peak and school just starting September will never be as bad as July or Christmas. The main thing will be the insanely packed restaurants.

Stickey
08-11-2008, 12:01 PM
Crowd levels in September have been rising steadily each year, mostly due to the free dining promo.

September is not as busy as the peak months, however it is far from being a slow season. In the first two years of free dining, restaurants became busier and the parks were only slightly more crowded. Last September, crowds were significantly larger, as the normal 5-15 minute waits became 20-30 minute waits. Plan on 40-80 minute waits at Epcot in the late afternoon and evening.

It may require the end of free dining and an active hurricane season to slow the trend of increasing crowd levels in September.

BoricuaBell
08-11-2008, 12:11 PM
Even though crowds have gone up slightly in September, it's still great to go this time of year. People are still afraid to go during the Hurricane season. Plus school starts, so believe me, I've gone to WDW 3 times during September/October and there's no better time to go. :thumbsup:

mook3y
08-11-2008, 12:22 PM
we have gone the last 3 years during this time period.

Typically we have found the lines everywhere to be very reasonable. Once in a while on weekends, we have had a 20+ minute wait for Thunder mountain and Test Track.

By far the biggest issue is getting dining reservations at the more popular restaurants.

Lizzie
08-11-2008, 01:31 PM
We were there Sept 07 and Oct 06 and I found Oct with the food and wine festival a little busier than September. And in September we were there the Tuesday after Labor Day for a week and found the crowds much better later in the week. But I don't remember too long of waits for anything. But we utilize fastpass for everything.

azcavalier
08-11-2008, 02:22 PM
This will be our third year in a row for free dining (I think...) Before this we used to come in early December. I think that it's about the same, as far as crowds are concerned. The only time a line has been bad was for Soarin'. Everything else has been more than reasonable, including Expedition Everest.

We've never had a problem getting seats in restaurants, either, but then again, my DW has always been on the phone scheduling our DDRs 180 days out. Plus, with the kids, we always try to book dinners a little early, at non-standard times, so that helps. And we always like to eat lunch around 11:30am anyway, so we never face lines at the counter service restaurants.

All-in-all, we think that September with free dining is the perfect time to go to WDW. Even with the free dining, the crowds are less than usual.

jszczur5
08-11-2008, 03:32 PM
Essentially it breaks down into 2 categories: Before Labour Day, and After Labour Day.
Last year, there were substantial waits for the favourite attractions before LD, whereas after, we were able to ride Soarin 3 times in 65 minutes.
And you can absolutely forget about going to either of the waterparks over LD weekend.

AmandaChan
08-11-2008, 04:37 PM
What is this free dining everyone speaks of?

EpcotNut
08-11-2008, 05:14 PM
As everyone knows by now, there is no "slow time" anymoer. However, having gone in 06 during Free Dining I would say the crowd levels were at the lowest we have ever seen. I'm sure that with the popularity of Free Dining that may have changed a bit in 2 years, but overall, it was not bad at all. If you plan your days, you should have no problem doing everything you want!:thumbsup:

minnie1956
08-11-2008, 05:31 PM
now that I have your attention.
Anytime disney offers "free" dining, it's very busy. ADR's are difficult to make, rooms fill up quickly. Be prepared with a plan of what you must do, would like to do and ok not to do and you'll be fine. Actually, some of the time, the people in the Parks can be as amusing as the attractions ... ( Did I really say that??)
:D

AllDisney
08-11-2008, 05:43 PM
We were amazed at how easy it was to move about the parks. Of course, free dining was running, but we planned the 180 day mark & got all the restaurants & times we wanted.

We also had great weather the Labor Day week that we were there and that made the trip just perfect:cloud9:

caryrae
08-11-2008, 05:58 PM
I remember being in WDW during free dining in 06 and didn't notice it being more busy. I wonder how they will do it now since they have added the Quick Service Dining Plan. If they do a free DP again will they give you the QSDP or the regular Dining Plan?

What is this free dining everyone speaks of? I was wondering about this too. I have heard of it of course but what's the deal is it really free or how does it work?

dsnyfan001
08-11-2008, 08:38 PM
I remember being in WDW during free dining in 06 and didn't notice it being more busy. I wonder how they will do it now since they have added the Quick Service Dining Plan. If they do a free DP again will they give you the QSDP or the regular Dining Plan?

I was wondering about this too. I have heard of it of course but what's the deal is it really free or how does it work?

All i know is back in March this year, I got an email stating that Disney was giving away Free Dining offer if you made reservations between Aug and Sept. So i booked it, I got my hotel stay, dining and all four parks for around 90.00 a day, because its only my husband and I . If it were a family of four its around 57.00 a day, and let me tell you that is a total steal. You cant beat that price anywhere. All I can say is thanks Disney for making it that much easier for me to go!! lol

disneymom2000
08-11-2008, 09:51 PM
Free dining has ruined September. I would rather pay for my food and go at a least crowded time (which is what September used to be for me) than what it is now. And now with the cutbacks on free dining (no appetizers and having to deal with gratuity), it really isn't that much of a deal for me. :spoiler:

Artsake
08-12-2008, 08:59 AM
We went in Sept 2004, Sept 2006, Sept 2007 and are going again this Sept. No complaints in regard to the crowd levels, we always go the week AFTER Labor day. As everyone else has stated, most of the time the waits are 20 minutes or less. This is the first year we are participating in the "free dining" and although I think free dining has increased the crowd somewhat it is no where near the summer crowd levels. The only thing I think the free dining has had a major impact on is the table service restaurants.

BelleLovesTheBeast
08-12-2008, 10:30 AM
Crowd levels in September have been rising steadily each year, mostly due to the free dining promo.

September is not as busy as the peak months, however it is far from being a slow season. In the first two years of free dining, restaurants became busier and the parks were only slightly more crowded. Last September, crowds were significantly larger, as the normal 5-15 minute waits became 20-30 minute waits. Plan on 40-80 minute waits at Epcot in the late afternoon and evening.

It may require the end of free dining and an active hurricane season to slow the trend of increasing crowd levels in September.

I second this! We started going in Sept in 2003. At that time we found the wait to be 5-10 mins but not it is more like 20-30. We go mid to late Sept and find more and more people every year. Last year the wait for Soarin' was 65 mins and was a lot less a few years ago in Sept.

Having gone in Sept and Jan recently I'd say that Jan is less crowded. Not a huge difference but some.

PetefromRI
08-12-2008, 05:33 PM
For those that don't know.Free Dining is a program that Disney has had the last couple of years,usually in Sept. when the crowds are low,to try to increase attendance.When you book a MYW package,the Disney Dining Plan is included free for each night of your stay.It's a pretty good deal if you like eating in beautiful Disney restaurants and if you have a pretty healthy appetite!

ktflisa
08-13-2008, 08:45 AM
We went with family last year - 6 of us - in Mid September. It was more crowded than January, but not unbearable. The "big ticket" rides had long waits later in the day... As other posters have said, the worst part was finding reservations at restaurants for the free dining. We decided in June that we were all going, so 90 days out - definitely not good for the ADR's!

The main difference to me between January and September? THE HEAT! We've been in January 2 or 3 times - and I'll skip free dining to have cool weather. :mickey:

Utilize Fast Pass on the biggie rides - and you'll do well with the crowd management!

yjgirl32
08-13-2008, 08:54 AM
We are going in Sept 09 for our anniversary and my father-inlaw's birthday so hopefully we will be ok on crowd levels. I am a planner so we might be ok. Thanks for all the information and I will be sure to make my adr's on my 180 day mark right away in the morning.

Fantasmic
08-13-2008, 09:18 AM
We went sept 10-24 last year, parks weren't busy, except for MNSSHP but restaurants were pretty much grid-lock. Was very hard to get a reservation, or walk in.

sophie peach
08-13-2008, 10:07 AM
we go every september
we dont have free dining but it is gettin busier by the year so book now!!!!!!

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
08-13-2008, 11:38 PM
Free Dining has done exactly what it was intended to do in my opinion. Brought in lots more people to a very slow time of year.
We have gone to WDW in September every year since 1996. It is not the "ghost town" it used to be.
We were there September 13-22nd this past year and thought it was more crowded then we had expected.
The wait times are still manageable but, there are long waits for some rides. There are more people around the parks and the restaurants are packed. We used FP and were glad we did.
All that being said, if you are used to peak times (summer, Xmas week) September will seem slower. But, if you have gone in September before FD was offered, you will notice a difference in crowds.
We decided on our September trip that we are giving up on that time. It used to be worth dealing with the heat to have the low crowds. Not so much anymore... for us anyway.

I hope you all have low crowds and great trips!! One thing we are going to miss is MNSSHP. We are heading down in December.

Bri
08-14-2008, 03:04 PM
i have to say, i didn't know free dining existed when we went in sept 2005 and sept 2006. i booked the trip myself instead of through MJ. anyway, we thought the crowds were great, we didn't wait more than 10 minutes for anything.

italiangrl.08
08-14-2008, 03:16 PM
Well we went last year during free dining and the lines weren't long and it wasn't that crowded, Even though free dining is a GREAT deal, people don't like to take their childern out of school so early! :mickey:

Kelci:cool:

PAYROLL PRINCESS
08-14-2008, 09:18 PM
I asked Wendy from MJ about that and she said the crowds shouldn't be bad, it's just the restaurants that were going to be packed. I'll let you know in 46 days after we come back.

Villains0501
08-15-2008, 02:43 PM
I've been going in Sept. for the past 3 yrs. and every yr it's gotten worse. especially if u plan on going to MNSSHP while ur there. it rained and all the guests had to huddle under the main street shop onnings! it was a nightmare and i ruined my $300 Jafar costume :mad::(:mad::(

azcavalier
08-15-2008, 02:55 PM
I prefer going in December because of the cooler temps (I can wear my Goofy Hockey Jersey) and the Christmas Decorations, not to mention the crowds. HOWEVER, my wife is all about saving money, so we've gone in September the last three years.

Is it more busy than it used to be? Sure. Is it hot? Not as bad as July/August. Does it rain? Some...it IS hurricane season. Hard to get a reservation? That depends on how long you wait to get a reservation. I mean, is it EVER easy to get a reservation at a good time if you don't plan ahead a few months? I guess we're spoiled, because we have always planned our trips at least six months out, so we've always had our reservations at the 180 day mark. So we've not had problems getting what we wanted at a decent time.

Goes4FastPass
08-15-2008, 02:59 PM
September is busy.

Not terrible but busy.

Jasper
08-15-2008, 03:03 PM
An earlier poster said that September has two basic time periods. I would like to suggest that September actually has three time periods. The first is Labor Day and earlier. The second is Labor Day to about the middle of the month. And the third period is the middle of the month to the end of the month.

I would also agree that free dining has caused the crowds to rise. However, if you go right after Labor Day you will probably get reasonable crowd sizes. Of course, you have to go in with the proper expectations. After all, this is Disney World and not some local fair or carnival. That means what Disney considers to be a slow day would be gang busters for anyplace else. So make sure you go in with the expectation of large crowds and then you will likely be pleasantly surprised if it is slower than you thought it would be.