PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Brown Derby?

Jen C.
08-10-2008, 10:08 PM
We are considering adding Brown Derby to our list of ADR's for our upcoming trip. I know it is a 2TS on the DDP. We would be paying OOP.

I am curious to hear any recent reviews. What did you like/dislike? Will we be uncomfortable w/ 3 kids under 8? All imput is greatly appreciated! Thanks!:thumbsup:

Natazu
08-10-2008, 10:15 PM
Here's one from about a year ago:

We checked in about 15 minutes early and were seated by the time our 7:40 ADR came around. Our server, Pete, greeted us quickly and brought our drinks right away. Pete did a fabulous job. He was friendly, knowledgeable, & efficient. He was always around when we needed something but didn’t hover. After we ordered dessert, the manager came by and chatted about our dining experience with interest. The dinner was as wonderful as the service. We had appetizers, soup, entrées, & desserts. The presentation alone could have provided sustenance for the day.

Sake-Laced Crab Cake with Potato-Panko Crust, Miso Aioli, and Cucumber-Watermelon Slaw:
This light but tempting item is attractively priced at $8.59, well below the usual crab cake appetizer price. The flavors work together very well but are subtle. The last thing you want in a crab cake is an overpowering flavor. Over the last year or so, the chef has toyed with the crust and accompaniments. I think this incarnation is the best.

Seared Sea Scallop with Barbecued Pork Rib Belly and Corn Relish:
You don’t find fork-tender pork many places… or a tender 2oz scallop for that matter. Not to mention, I can’t fathom the culinary cleverness it took to pair these flavors. I’m told it started out as the Brown Derby version of Bacon-wrapped Sea Scallops but this recipe couldn’t have been simple to create. Well done.

Tortilla Soup with Chorizo Sausage and Avocado-Lime Cream:
I have a hard time getting behind this one. The flavors weren’t as apparent as they could have been. The consistency was a little watery. I just don’t think it lives up to the Brown Derby reputation.

Char-Grilled Filet Mignon with Dijon Crushed Potatoes, Shallot-Shiitake Confit, Mizuna, and Merlot Reduction:
The steaks were grilled to perfection with light charring on the outside and amazing flavor inside. The temperatures were just right and well maintained by the heat rising from the potatoes underneath. There was just enough of the reduction in the presentation to add a layer of substance to the flavor of the meat without overpowering its natural flavor. The mizuna and confit garnish was cute and while accepted as a compliment to wine reductions, it can be left in the Japanese garden as far as I’m concerned.

Double Vanilla Bean Crème Brûlée with a Gingersnap Sugar Stick:
The third Crème Brûlée in as many days for Rachel. She was happy with it but couldn’t eat more than half of it. (she did manage to finish off the perfectly caramelized top)

KatMark
08-10-2008, 10:21 PM
We were not impressed when we tried it five years ago. There were only about five or six tables occupied when we went and it took 15 minutes to get our drink orders. The food was mediocre at best for the price (I ordered a steak of some sort and I don't like it pink--I had to send it back and it still came back pink). And my husband who is a HUGE dessert eater (he'll eat anything that won't eat him first--except coconut--he hates coconut) hated the grapefruit cake. We usually give each place a second chance in case it was an "off visit" but we just can't see using two table service credits on it when there are so many other places that we love or want to try. I will say it is a beautiful restaurant though.

TexasPrincessAurora
08-10-2008, 11:07 PM
This was in the past one of our must do's. However on our last visit in 2005 it had declined in both food quality and service, so we have stopped going for a while. I don't know whether to blame that on the dining plan or not. The selections are much more limited and the quality doesn't seem as elegant as in the past. It seems like just another restaurant while in the past it seemed very exclusive and like an escape from the park. The servers seemed to fit in the high class, old Hollywood designed surroundings. Hopefully someone can comment on whether it is back up to par.

Kairi_7378
08-10-2008, 11:15 PM
My husband and I dined at the Brown Derby in March 2007. He'd always wanted to eat here and this was his choice for an ADR. I had the crab cake, salmon, and the bananas foster cake. Husband had mushroom ravioli, fillet, and the white chocolate cheesecake. The service was excellent and the food was very good. However, I thought the portions were a little small (my crab cake was about 2" in diameter.) There were many children there that day but for the most part they seemed to be doing well. (The little guy at the table next to us was clearly worn out, smacked his head on the table, and wailed for about 15 minutes but that wasn't the restaurant's fault, he was just exhausted.) The kids' meals seemed to be better here than at other restaurants.

Maleficent's Dad
08-11-2008, 07:18 AM
(Okay, do you read Jym's reviews and start salivating? :tasty:)

We visit the HBD about 5-10 times a year. It has become for us, our overall favorite WDW restaurant. And yes, we do have kids - ages 7 & 9 right now; they've been to the HBD since before either of them were a year old.

We have never had poor service here - EVER.
The HBD is one of the few places where the bread (rolls) is edible; they are in fact, pretty good.
Very good fish, excellent steaks, and good choices for the kids - grilled chicken instead of fried "fingers."

One thing we have come to do very often is have lunch at the BD. We very much enjoy the Cobb Salad, and the Ahi Tuna Cobb is, IMO, WDW's best "salad creation."

What makes the HBD all the more impressive to me, is that it is smack dab in the middle of a theme park. It's a higher end restaurant, but is not overly stuffy. You'll find people conducting business at one table, and in the booth next to them, there will be a family with three kids. Somehow, they make it all work.

Great place, highly recommended! :thumbsup:

Disnamic Duo
08-11-2008, 01:44 PM
My wife and I love this place (it's my favorite WDW restaurant). If you like fish, please try the pan fried grouper. WOW, it's good! My wife always gets the filet mignon, and she loves it. We don't do the dining plan, so we always pay "oop". We think it's well worth the price.