PDA

View Full Version : Did your kids like Boma?

ljv1975
08-10-2008, 12:21 PM
I'm thinking about trying Boma for dinner next time and I was wondering if it's a good place for kids. My daughter will be 4 and my son will be almost 1 1/2, and I'm trying to decide if it's too adventurous for young kids. Thanks!

crazykids
08-10-2008, 01:05 PM
It really depends what your kids will eat, they always have the chicken nuggets & mac & cheeses for safety nets. I brought my 3 small ones last year, my 2 girls will eat anything, so they tried a lot of different things. My son is very picky & he ate chicken nuggets. I don't think you will be disappointed. The only thing my kids were unhappy about is that they didn't offer ice cream for dessert.

IMHO, Boma was good, but I expected a little more from all of the rave reviews. I thought Jiko was one of the best restaurants I've been to on property!

NotaGeek
08-10-2008, 01:11 PM
Boma is one of my absolute FAVORITE places to eat! I have done both dinner and breakfast there, both rocked! There are tons of choices, and there is totally stuff for kids.

bigbabyblues
08-10-2008, 06:09 PM
My boys were 6 and 3/almost 4 on our last trip, and we all liked Boma. The boys tried a little bit of almost everything. They do have a section with chicken nuggets, mac & cheese, etc., so you can resort to that if you need to.

Momto3littlemice
08-10-2008, 07:20 PM
We did BOMA for dinner last year when DD was 3 and DS was 2. They both really enjoyed it (and so did the adults!). My kids aren't picky at all, but I think there are so many choices that I bet anyone could find something yummy. And the desserts are numerous and delicious too. We are planning a return trip next year!

thejens
08-10-2008, 07:34 PM
There is plenty for kids and other non-adventurous diners. My kids liked the fruit and kids bar and bread and desserts. My 4 year old liked trying all the unusual salads too!

kathiep
08-10-2008, 08:03 PM
My DS 4 and DD 3 enjoyed Boma. I think they did OK with the food, they tried a few thing but mostly resorted to chicken nuggets & mac & Cheese.

But they loved exploring the resort building and the grounds. We're 11 months out and they still talk about exploring and checking out the savannah views. The whole evening was one of their favorites.

ftwildernesskid
08-10-2008, 08:05 PM
My kids loved Boma. Even my picky 4 year old tried some new dishes and liked them. There was plenty of choices for everyone to find more than enough to eat. I highly recommend it.

threeh
08-10-2008, 08:53 PM
Boma is one of my absolute FAVORITE places to eat! I have done both dinner and breakfast there, both rocked! There are tons of choices, and there is totally stuff for kids.

Ditto!!! We loved it and can't wait to go back. 2 of my kids will try anything. My middle one is picky but she found things she liked. I just love the whole Boma experience and getting to check out AKL.
Happy planning!!:mickey:

offwego
08-10-2008, 09:42 PM
Years later my son still talks about the potatoes with "afritude" mind you he is adventuresome but there were a lot of choices.

I hope you have a good time.:mickey:

Mousemates
08-10-2008, 10:40 PM
Should work out well, while there are many adventursome choices....they have plenty for young picky eaters too.

ElenitaB
08-10-2008, 11:59 PM
Our first trip to Boma predated my son's incursion to adventuresome territory. There was plenty to keep him happy there! Now, however at the grand old age of 12, he wants to return to see what's available to expand his culinary horizons.

TwoTinyWings
08-11-2008, 02:14 PM
When we went last Nov. for dinner, my daughter was 4 and my son was 18 mos. They both found several new things they liked (the roast chicken and the couscous especially), and the fresh fruit (esp. strawberries) was also a favorite. (We encouraged DD to try some new things and really didn't even mention the "kid" food area of the buffet - but we knew it was there in case we needed it.) Boma is great for many reasons, not the least of which is the fact that everyone can find at least a few things they like to eat. There are several dishes that are spicy (my two found the potatoes with Afritude to be too spicy), so be wary of those, but many are tasty as well as being different from what most of us eat on a regular basis.

I'd say go for it - and definitely make it more of an event by checking out the hotel lobby and going outside to view the animals on the savannah. Since our reservations were for dinner in Nov., when it gets dark much sooner than in, say, the summer, we made sure to get to the AKL with enough time to see the animals before dinner. If your trip is during the winter months - and you want to try Boma for dinner - make sure to work in some daylight time to see the savannah animals.

joonyer
08-11-2008, 02:19 PM
When we went to Boma (Oct. 06) my boys were 13 and 10, and they can be picky or eat like a pig, depending on their moods. Both of them found things on the extensive menu that they liked and went back for seconds. I remember my older son really loved the roasted flank steak (so did I) (think smoky BBQ) and of course they both love the desserts, especially the zebra domes. If your children are really picky, they always have mac & cheese and chicken nuggets, but I would have a hard time paying $25 for mine to eat if that's all they're going to try.