PDA

View Full Version : Amount down when reservations made ?

michelLe x3
08-09-2008, 09:37 PM
I was wondering how much of the total amount of you room reservations they ask you to put down wen u reserve a room ? I think at most hotels you pay for the first night or someting along those lines ? If it makes a difference i'm planning on going from jan 2nd to jan 7th. TIA

KatMark
08-09-2008, 09:40 PM
We have always had to make a deposit of $200.

pandkx3
08-09-2008, 09:40 PM
I think it's $200 per room.:mickey:

michelLe x3
08-09-2008, 09:45 PM
Ok thanks !

disneymom2000
08-09-2008, 09:47 PM
My deposit was also $200

TiggeRia
08-09-2008, 10:00 PM
Hmm...well I'm not sure how they figure out the down payment, because ours is $392.62. Maybe it's based on some kind of percentage?

michelLe x3
08-09-2008, 10:20 PM
It probably is a percentage it's odd though that the others payed $200. Maybe someone that is 100% sure will come along & let us know :mickey:

eandrsmom
08-09-2008, 10:36 PM
From what I understand, it's a $200 deposit for a package. If it's a room only reservation, then the deposit amount is one night.

michelLe x3
08-09-2008, 11:31 PM
Oh ok so since i am staying in a value resort & the price per night is $82 it'll be a $82 deposit ? I'm not getting a package just room only

jonahbear2006
08-10-2008, 12:00 AM
We got a package and our downpayment was $200, and we paid that in Debit card. We then waited until we absolutely had to put the rest down, and put it all on our Disney Card. We will just spend the next 6mths paying it off. Works out easier for us this way.

sleeping beauty77
08-10-2008, 12:47 AM
Well all the times that I've stayed we booked room only. The deposit has been 1st night +tax . Then we paid the balance upon arrival. Hope this helps.:mickey:

TammiMcMan
08-10-2008, 01:22 AM
Well all the times that I've stayed we booked room only. The deposit has been 1st night +tax . Then we paid the balance upon arrival.Yup, absolutely correct for room only reservations.

Wickster1970
08-10-2008, 03:00 PM
We just put $200 down to reserve our room at POR (late April). Being on the Magic Your Way package we are required to pay the balance 45 days before our first night.
:mickey:

CleveRocks
08-10-2008, 03:21 PM
Just to put it in one neat little package for everyone ...

For a PACKAGE reservation, a $200 deposit is due within 7 days of making the reservation by phone (immediately if done on the website). The balance is due no later than 45 days prior to arrival day. [If you buy air travel as part of your package, the air travel cost is due IMMEDIATELY.] When you arrive at your resort's front desk, you owe no money whatsoever. You don't need a credit card or debit card or cash deposit in order to check-in. All you need is valid I.D.

For a ROOM-ONLY reservation, a deposit of one night's room rate + tax is due within 7 days of making the reservation by phone (immediately if done on the website). The balance is due upon check-in at the resort. You can pay however you like. You need to pay the balance in full ... after that, you do not need a credit or debit card or cash deposit. All you need with a room-only reservation is payment for the balance, and a valid I.D.

You will not be asked for a credit card imprint or a cash depsosit for "incidentals" or "security" or anything like that. You WILL be asked if you wish to set up a room charge. If you wish to do this, it can be done with credit or debit or cash or travelers checks or Disney Dollars. If you use plastic, there is no hold or pre-authorization done. NOTHING appears on your credit/debit account until you've reached the room charge maximum or until the early morning of your check-out day, whichever comes first.

TammiMcMan
08-10-2008, 03:39 PM
Nice and tidy CleveRocks, thanks :thumbsup:.

LudwigVonDrake
08-10-2008, 10:29 PM
You will not be asked for a credit card imprint or a cash depsosit for "incidentals" or "security" or anything like that.

I stayed at PORFQ in July and when I checked in they asked for a credit card to cover "incidentals" in case there were any charges on the room (there wasn't). Is that a new policy? I didn't have charging privileges on the room key so that wasn't the reason either.

CleveRocks
08-11-2008, 02:57 PM
I stayed at PORFQ in July and when I checked in they asked for a credit card to cover "incidentals" in case there were any charges on the room (there wasn't). Is that a new policy? I didn't have charging privileges on the room key so that wasn't the reason either.

The CM did not follow WDW policy. Perhaps the CM was fairly new and recently worked at another hotel property ... WDW is one of the only major hoteliers in the USA that does not require a card or a cash deposit for incidentals.

So, like I said, what the CM did was a mistake.

LudwigVonDrake
08-11-2008, 06:57 PM
CleveRocks, thanks!

I thought it was a bit fishy because NO ONE ever asked me for that before. No harm no foul but I will be prepared if it happens again.

jdcastle
08-11-2008, 09:57 PM
If you make a cash deposit to allow charges to your room, what will they do to refund any unused money? Hand you back cash?

magicofdisney
08-12-2008, 02:57 PM
As another clarification, if you request Express Checkout, you need to leave a card on file. :mickey:

CleveRocks
08-12-2008, 04:36 PM
If you make a cash deposit to allow charges to your room, what will they do to refund any unused money? Hand you back cash?

Yes.

For example, let's say you're staying at Pop Century and fork over $500 cash to set up a room charge. You end up charging only $410 back to the room during your stay. When you go to the front desk to check-out, they'd give you $90 back, in cash.

NJRRK
08-13-2008, 04:25 PM

You will not be asked for a credit card imprint or a cash depsosit for "incidentals" or "security" or anything like that. You WILL be asked if you wish to set up a room charge. If you wish to do this, it can be done with credit or debit or cash or travelers checks or Disney Dollars. If you use plastic, there is no hold or pre-authorization done. NOTHING appears on your credit/debit account until you've reached the room charge maximum or until the early morning of your check-out day, whichever comes first.

One tiny clarification, if you don't ask for Express Checkout they won't even charge your card until you physically check out. We did this last August, my DW got paid the day before we checked out and our CC was used to set up the room charge. We paid with her Debit Card and my CC was never charged. We asked for no Express Checkout.

TammiMcMan
08-13-2008, 06:17 PM
One tiny clarification, if you don't ask for Express Checkout they won't even charge your card until you physically check out. We did this last August, my DW got paid the day before we checked out and our CC was used to set up the room charge. We paid with her Debit Card and my CC was never charged. We asked for no Express Checkout.You probably did not go over the resort limit, so that's why you weren't charged until you checked out. I think CleveRocks made mention of that in his post. Basically two things will trigger a charge to your credit card....

1. hitting the resorts limit ($1500 at deluxes, $1000 at mods, $500 at values)
2. checking out

If you stayed below the resort limit, then you'd be charged at check-out, which is what it sounds like happened, based on your post.

WDW1208
08-17-2008, 04:02 PM

For a PACKAGE reservation, a $200 deposit is due within 7 days of making the reservation by phone (immediately if done on the website). The balance is due no later than 45 days prior to arrival day. [If you buy air travel as part of your package, the air travel cost is due IMMEDIATELY.]

I just wanted to say that I just booked through the WDW website yesterday and added airfare. This was NOT due immediately. When booking and choosing your flights, the flights all pop up and let you choose the ones you want. Unless you pick the ones that specifically say "Payment Due Now" they are partially refundable and due at the 45 day mark. We have seats assigned and those seats are showing taken on the American Airlines website so they are reserved. In fact I changed them this morning from center and window seat to center and aisle seat and the AA website showed immediately that our original seats were now available (they were not yesterday after I made the ressie) and the ones we switched to this morning were unavailable. The price for the airfare is due at the 45 day mark with the rest of our balance, and we still only had to put down the $200 package deposit. Maybe this is different if you book over the phone.

I also wanted to add that a couple of years ago we stayed at POP and ran into some trouble when paying for our room on arrival. We thought they would charge us for the room balance on check in,and we had cash for that, and then we left a debit card for incidentals and room charges. They did not do it this way. They charged the card for the room each night, not the balance up front, and did not credit us for the cash we paid until after we hit the $500 value resort limit. Is this the regular way they do it? Use any cash applied only after the limit is hit? It seemed backwards at the time and I am trying to recall exactly why it ended up being a big deal.