PDA

View Full Version : Rides we love to hate!

Imagineer1981
08-08-2008, 06:47 PM
Would many of you on the boards dislike the newer attractions that replaced older ones, if we had never had the older ones?
For example would the Stitch haters dislike it as much if we had never had Alien Encounter, and Stitch just updated Mission to Mars? Would you dislike Pooh if we never had Toad? JIYI? Take yourself out of your memories and look at the attraction as a stand alone, with no history. I personally think Stitch is cute in that way, and the newer version of Figment is decent as well.

pink
08-08-2008, 07:02 PM
Interesting idea. For me, I don't like Stitch just because of the restraints and the smell he burps basically into your mouth. :ack:

I would however probally appreciate it more if Alien Encounter wasn't in there first. I only did that once and it was such a cool attraction, it was like living in a horror movie. I really wish they would bring it back! :mickey:

Mousemates
08-08-2008, 07:09 PM
On pooh maybe, at least our pooh is better than the one at dl....but they have both it and Mr.Toad :envy:

Pop Centurion
08-08-2008, 07:25 PM
I have to agree that the replacements don't live up to the original rides that many of us have been spoiled by. While I actually think SGE is a fun attraction. It's nothing compared to AE.

disneymajik
08-08-2008, 09:46 PM
Stitch's Great Escape could have replaced a port-a-potty and I still would refuse to ride it again. I'd take the port-a-potty!!

shepherdgirl
08-08-2008, 09:52 PM
I just don't like Stitch and I didn't like AE and I don't remember Mission to Mars. I really do like the Pooh ride, I think it fits great in Fantasyland. But it is an interesting question to look at attractions without thinking about what it replaced.

bruin1344
08-08-2008, 10:52 PM
not fan of either stitch or alien encounter ride, i miss mr. toad

Imagineer1981
08-08-2008, 11:47 PM
This post wasn't to focus just on Stitch and Pooh, I just used them as examples...it could be any attraction that replaced an older one, Laugh Floor, Philharmagic, Test Track, Mission: Space, Ellen's E.A., etc....its more a question of, "if you didn't know about the old ride, would you still dislike or like the new versions"

AmandaChan
08-09-2008, 02:03 AM
I have to be honest. My parents never took me to Disney World as a child and I only recently started going when I became a grown up. So I haven't exactly been exposed to a lot of the 'older' rides that everyone else has (alien ride instead of stitch -- which I heard they replaced it with Stitch because it was too scary for children). But I truly believe that people at Disney try to keep things interesting for those of us that go back so many times. You have your classics and the rides you still love but there may be a new one or two that replaced something. Walt Disney was known for his aspirations and change and introducing new things. I guess it's easier for me to say that because they haven't exactly taken any of my favorite attractions away - yet.

I take that back: I was somewhat furious when they butchered El Rio but that's a whole other story. :beat:

DizneyRox
08-09-2008, 05:16 AM
I'm a fan of Stitch and don't like SGE. Lack of story is the main reason, has nothing to do with loving AE. AE didn't have much re-rideabililty. I remember being at MK when it first opened, like THAT DAY! It was closed, but there were CM hovering around the area, right before we were going to leave, we decided to walk through TL one more time, but this time there was no chain keeping people out, no real line either, but it was open.

LOVED IT the first time, it was great, but after that day, I'm not sure how many other times I rode it, maybe a couple. Wasn't sad to see it go really, but when I saw SGE, I thought WOW! They really didn't want to spend any money to make it any different. Everything was the same, expect the animatronics had differnet consumes on for the most part. Oh, and the "story" change.

I'm not opposed to chance, I like it, but change for the sake of change isn't always good. Sometimes doing things because you can doesn't mean you should.

Cheloconnell
08-09-2008, 10:17 AM
BRING BACK MR. TOAD's:number1:

darthmacho
08-09-2008, 10:33 AM
Not having been since 2003, and praying to go in 2009, there are a LOT of new things that I need to see for the first time. Just the same, I'd like to comment on three rides in particular.

1. Pooh: Only nostalgia for Toad, a ride that was basically cardboard cutouts, would make someone dislike Pooh entirely. It was at the very least, a slight updrade, and seems to be more colorful.

2.Test Track: Whatever it replaced couldn't have been as cool as this ride. Though cars aren't my ideal ride theme, I really like this ride, and don't understand those that don't.

3. Stitch: I haven't seen it, but I imagine it being a bit of a disapointment after Alien Encounter, which I loved, pre-show included. I've seen the new Stitch pre-show on You Tube, and found it. It's probably an okay attraction, but I sypathize with its detractors.

disneyworld55925592
08-09-2008, 11:46 AM
When i don't compare pooh to mr toads, it is alright. It seems kind of cheesy for disney. Its like made out of cardboard. So they took away MR TOADS! for that. not cooool. But hey i can't hate it, its disney world!

ParkMan
08-09-2008, 11:56 AM
In general, I like the new rides.

Test Track & Mission Space are both very good rides.

I think Stitch is a fine ride - definitely not in the favorites category, but it is a good ride.

The only one I'm not a big fan of is the Laugh Floor.

wdwfansince75
08-09-2008, 12:02 PM
In response to original post....Without consideration of prior occupants of same space...

Love:

Buzz
TSMM
Laugh Floor
Philharmagic
Test Track
Mission Space
HM
POTC
Soaring
Like:

Pooh
JIYI
Ellen's Energy
El Rio de Donald
Hate:

Stitch!
Miss:

Horizons
World of Motion
Mr. Toad
If You had Wings
Kitchen Caberet

AmandaChan
08-09-2008, 12:44 PM

Really? I love this attraction. I think it's adorable and funny. Point: I haven't seen what was there before -- so that means I love it for what it is!

Arnold Simba
08-09-2008, 03:57 PM
Having been on both "before and after" rides, it's a bit difficult to judge the newer ride fairly. But here goes:
* Winnie The Pooh: I enjoyed it. Enjoyed Mr. Toad as well, but Pooh is alright.
* Stitch's Great Escape: Didn't enjoy it that much. Alien Encounter was better because of the "horror" aspect. With Stitch, the effects are silly more than anything. But maybe that's the effect Disney wanted.
* Mickey's Philharmagic: I enjoyed this show. Nice 3-D effects, fun for the whole family. Although I must admit I miss Legend Of The Lion King very much.
* Buzz Lightyear: When I first went on this ride, I was a bit prejudiced against it because I enjoyed "Delta Dreamflight/Dreamflight". But that first ride thru turned me into a believer - Buzz is fun to ride and play. Still miss Dreamflight though. It was a nice relaxing ride in air conditioning, and I enjoyed the theme song. lol
* Mission Space: I can understand a lot of people, especially young people enjoying this ride. It's tailored for a young crowd, or thrill-ride seekers. I was looking forward to my first ride. However, after finishing the ride, it scrambled my brain so badly I was sick the rest of the day. Horizons was not an action ride nor a thrill ride, but it was a fun and informative ride. It gave the guest a choice of 3 endings to experience. I still believe Horizons was by far the better attraction, and with some upgrading would have been very popular.
* Test Track: Enjoyed this ride. Different and fun. World Of Motion was a fun, somewhat silly but informative ride. It was cool at the end where it looked as if your vehicle had turned into a space ship. Cool images in the "racing" tunnel, which shared the same effect as "Dreamflight". I don't know ... this one's a toss up for me. I like both Test Track and WOM.
* Imagination Institute: Has Disney changed this again? The last time I rode it, the ride featured Eric Idle (Monty Python) and Figment. I found the ride "mildly" interesting. For those of you who rode it when it was "Journey Into Imagination", the rides don't compare. JII (or JIYI) with Figment and the Dreamfinder was a very cool ride. First Disney ride (I believe) with the camera shot at the end that displayed you in the vehicle, although no prints were sold.

Haven't been on the upgraded SSE or The Three Caballeros yet. I'm already missing "El Rio Del Tiempo". :(

arteephact
08-09-2008, 07:56 PM
I can tolerate the Pooh ride, but I really miss Mr Toad...it was always one of my favorites. Even as an adult I enjoyed it, and I can't say the same for the new ride. The bigger travesty is the Hundred Acre woods playground that now occupies the area where 20,000 leagues lagoon used to be.

I miss Horizon's most of all, but Mission Space is very enjoyable. I guess I feel the same for Test Track. I remember wanting to wait in line FOREVER to ride World of Motion again during its opening week, but Test Track is now probably one of my favorites at EPCOT.

It's worse to have a favorite closed and nothing replace it. My daughter never had the chance to see Cranium Command, and other than a shaky YouTube clip, now probably never will.

Just remembered one more...I am probably in the great minority for this one, but I hate Soarin. I really wish I had the Kitchen Kabaret back after riding that.

Imagineer1981
08-09-2008, 10:34 PM
Just remembered one more...I am probably in the great minority for this one, but I hate Soarin. I really wish I had the Kitchen Kabaret back after riding that.

me too!!!! but again not the point of this post.

big blue and hairy
08-10-2008, 12:42 PM
One I haven't seen mentioned yet....Sounds Dangerous simply the worst waste of space on Disney property. Regardless of the fact that I loved the Monster Sound Show and DW and I both participated, Sounds Dangerous is just a lousy attraction, not worthy of space in a Disney theme park.

:sulley:

jszczur5
08-11-2008, 03:51 PM

Love Soarin'. Don't remember Kitchen Kabaret, but I can't imagine it being in the same league as Soarin'.

One I haven't seen mentioned yet....Sounds Dangerous simply the worst waste of space on Disney property. Regardless of the fact that I loved the Monster Sound Show and DW and I both participated, Sounds Dangerous is just a lousy attraction, not worthy of space in a Disney theme park.

Nice place to stop in, get off your feet, cool off, and comfortably close your eyes for 10 minutes without fear of missing anything. Not the best attraction for sure, but infinitely better than that foul breathed beast Stitch!

Imagineer1981
08-11-2008, 04:38 PM

Agreed, Sounds Dangerous is just overall...TERRIBLE.

indytraveler
08-11-2008, 04:48 PM
As much as I miss Mr. Toad, Pooh is just as good. When Buzz was added I couldn't remember what it replaced. So obviously this ride is better. Stitch or alien Encounter, neither. Laugh Floor is also a good addition as well. So I'm on record as liking the new updates.

azcavalier
08-12-2008, 09:20 AM
In general, I like the new rides.

Test Track & Mission Space are both very good rides.

I think Stitch is a fine ride - definitely not in the favorites category, but it is a good ride.

The Laugh Floor was pretty good the first couple of times. I like the idea that they're using the technology that they use in Turtle Talk to make it more interactive. However, it's pretty much the same jokes after you've been a few times.

My first time to WDW was in this century, so I have never ridden any of the rides that people have brought up as being replaced. I have been on Mr. Toad's Wild Ride, but at DL.

I should say that I had ridden El Rio de Tiempo, and I liked that better than the Three Caballeros ride, but the kids like seing Donald on the ride, and it introduced them to one of the less popular animated movies. I'd bet that most kids don't even know about the Three Caballeros.

spiderkd
08-12-2008, 09:44 AM
I would say that I am probably about 50/50 on old versus new rides.

For example, I love Mission to Mars (or the bumpy bottom ride, as it was dubbed in our family) over the newer rides but prefer the interactivity of Buzz to Dreamflight.

TT and WoM are fairly comparable but M:S pips Horizons to the post because it's the closest I'll ever get to space.

I just wish they could have found a way to keep or improve the Skyway as it offered a lovely perspective of the MK :cloud9:

I think overall it's a truly lucky person who gets to choose between the old and new magic as it just means that they have seen that much more of the 'world'. Nostalgia is wonderful, but so are brand new shiny adventures :mickey:

Imagineer1981
08-12-2008, 10:15 AM
Taking out any memory of the old rides, heres what I can think of...4 being great and 1 being bad

1) Stitch - 2
2) M.I.L.F. -3
3) Mission:Space: 4
4) Test Track: 4
5) Journey: 2-3
6) Grand Fiesta Tour- 1

wdwfansince75
08-12-2008, 11:36 AM
I think overall it's a truly lucky person who gets to choose between the old and new magic as it just means that they have seen that much more of the 'world'. Nostalgia is wonderful, but so are brand new shiny adventures :mickey:

Couldn't have said it better....I have enjoyed each and every trip....not for what was missing, but for what was there. I do have fond memories of trips past, but Disney has kept it new by changing. My family has favorites....and sometimes, as we change, our favorites change. Sometimes, DW and I talk about about DD#2 and her late DGM riding If You had Wings again and again on our first trip in 75...or riding Horizons again and again with DS#2....or DW teaching DS#1 several new words, as DW rode Space Mountain for the first (and only) time....or riding Space Mtn 26 times on a single trip with DD#1...nostalgia has its place...and changes cannot cancel fond memories. Now, I do the new rides with some combination of my 7 DGK's...Life has been good....no, life is good!

MickeysEars
08-12-2008, 12:33 PM
On pooh maybe, at least our pooh is better than the one at dl....but they have both it and Mr.Toad :envy:

Yes but at DL they took out Country Bear to add Pooh, that is what bummed me out. I grew up in So. California and was extreamly disappointed to find out they had removed one the park's staples. to me it was like removing POTC or HM. I was happy to see DW still had it. It might not be a favorite, but to me it IS Disney! Yes, and I agree, at least DL did not remove Toad:thumbsup:

r4kids
08-13-2008, 04:46 PM
Mission to Mars was cool and I really liked Mr. Toad's but the new rides are fun with my kids. Alien Encounter was ok but they seem to have this cool space with good restraints and only an ok ride. I wish they would do somethihng really great with it. I don't know what but it just takes 1 great idea!!! I do love Test track. :mickey: