PDA

View Full Version : New discounts [merged threads]

pixiesmimi
08-06-2008, 11:14 PM
Anyone else get a card in the mail today with new discount packages for value resorts through Dec. 23? I received an offer today for MYW packages 5 nights/6 days at a value resort booked by 12/23. Room at a Value resort including tickets for $371 per adult (742 for two adults) for stays between 9/28-11/25, 11/29-12/3, 12/13-12/23 for a standard room. What I don't understand is if the last date to be booked is 12/23, how can they say the room has to be booked by 12/23? That doesn't make sense. If you stay longer than 12/23, do they charge you the regular rates and just the discount on the 23rd or do you get the whole week at that price if it is after the 23rd? :confused:

chicade88
08-06-2008, 11:24 PM
I received an e-mail with this offer and am planning on taking advantage of it! I believe it has a PIN code attached to it so it isn't a general discount. They sure had the right idea sending it to me though as it was the last thing to convince me!

I'm not sure about the 12/23 thing though, I noticed that and thought it was odd. Hopefully someone will come along to give you some more information.

pixiesmimi
08-06-2008, 11:34 PM
We had a trip planned at Christmas and had to cancel Monday. Then this came today and I started trying to think of ways that we could use it because that is a better price than we got last year. Especially with the new ticket prices out. Yes, it did have a pin number with it. I don't think we are going to be able to go but wondered if anyone else had heard about it. Also wondered if it can be given to someone else to use since it has our name on it. I wonder if our name is connected to the pin number.

Sunshine1010
08-07-2008, 12:11 AM
How do I get on the list to receive these announcements?

chicade88
08-07-2008, 12:19 AM
Your name is connected to the PIN number so unfortunately you can't give the code to someone else for them to use.

Sunshine - There isn't a list for these and they seem pretty random. My boyfriend gets these codes all the time and I hardly ever get them. I've signed up for about every disney e-mail list there is though (Destinations, Insider, Weddings, DVC). So I think this might help your chances but I know other posters are on all these lists and they don't get the codes so I'm not sure there's a certain process.

Jeri Lynn
08-07-2008, 07:54 AM
I received this same deal via email but was not able to apply it to my stay at the Beach Club in October.

Dsnygirl
08-07-2008, 08:41 AM
Shoot.... looks like the dates they excluded are the dates we're going... not that I'm hoping for a PIN, as I never get one, but I guess it means they're well-booked during our timeframe, and the general public/AP/Visa discounts may not be all that great when they're released. :(

(Sorry, kind-of off-topic... I'd still like to know what protocal they use to send people PIN numbers, as I could certainly use one!!)

Cheloconnell
08-07-2008, 09:10 AM
I am disappointed - we just bought annual passes last week and I thought we would be one of the first ones to be offered a discounted room during that time. We didn't receive any pin and I am a subscriber to almost every site and buy through Disney Shopping online and have a Disney Visa card - I couldn't be more Disney and did not get a pin. I am very sad :fit:

eandrsmom
08-07-2008, 09:18 AM
I got a card in the mail yesterday with a PIN. The problem was, it was addressed to my ex-babysitter who came with us once a few years ago. We paid for the entire vacation when she came, and I was not happy about her getting a discount code sent to our address, and us not getting one. I have no idea how one gets on the list for these things. I have signed up for every Disney website that is offered.
Anyway, I called and explained the situation to the reservationist, and she said that she would apply the code to our existing reservations in December since it was sent to our address. One phone call saved us over $400!!

Tink1
08-07-2008, 10:20 AM
Yes, they have mailed and emailed offers that are dedicated to the person recieving them.

The expiraation date of the offer appears to be 12/23 for booking up to 12/23. Which means you can call on 12/23 with this offer for a room for that night. The discount would only apply to that night, unfortunately. With date based pricing the remaining nights would be at the regular rate.

Nanc

MNNHFLTX
08-07-2008, 12:10 PM
Thanks for that explanation, Nanci! :mickey:

The Hitchhiking Ghost
08-07-2008, 01:07 PM
Generally we never get these, but this go round I received an email with the PIN code and a few days later my wife received the postcard mailer.

Both basically highlight the savings at the value resorts. Does anyone know what type of savings are being offered for the moderates or deluxes (sp. Wilderness or Polynesian)?

I tried checking on Disney on-line, and with the help of the web chat helpline (cool tool) I found out the only way to inquire was to call Disney direct as there is no place to input PIN codes on the on-line reservation system.

Any help would be appreciated.

eandrsmom
08-07-2008, 03:15 PM
We used it for the GF during holiday season, and got $200 off for each night!

The Hitchhiking Ghost
08-07-2008, 06:06 PM
I tend to over analyze things and this was no different. We received an email with a PIN code, the stated deal was for 2 adults, 5 day/6 night at a value with base MYE tickets for $742. The email said other resorts were included and I called to verify.

Here's my assumption, that a 6 day base pass is a constant, so Disney is basically discounting the per/room night. So what I tried to do was compare rack rates to the PIN rate and I came up with this. The best values, in order were

Value resorts = savings of over 40% on room rate.

Moderate = I had a quote that if figured our correctly gave me a room rate (SV with tax) of $109 p/night or about 34% discount

Deluxe = I asked for quotes on the Polynesian and the Wilderness Lodge. Basically it seemed that the discount now was only 10-13% (slightly better at WL).

I guess I'm asking, does this seem to be a general pattern with these codes. I was hoping to use it to finally justify getting into a Deluxe, but if I calculated this right, the code doesn't even cover the sales tax.

Appreciate any input.

:mickey:

Aurora
08-07-2008, 07:16 PM
This is a very unscientific reply based on nothing but my own reading and observations, but it seems to me that the only way you get these offers is because you've already been to Disney World one or more times.

In other words, they pull up lists of names of people who have stayed there before within a certain time frame, like October-December. Since these visitors have already done it once, Disney solicits them because they're more likely to do it again, rather than sending out a random mailing or e-mail to people who just visit the Disney web site, for example.

This would explain why the babysitter got the mailing at the above poster's address. Obviously the reservation wasn't under her name, but she was listed on the guest registry, and they're trying to get her back by offering a discount.

Sunshine1010
08-07-2008, 07:48 PM
Quick question:

If someone were to publicly display the codes, could anyone use it?

Tink1
08-07-2008, 09:06 PM
Quick question:

If someone were to publicly display the codes, could anyone use it?

No.

Nanci

Cheloconnell
08-07-2008, 10:06 PM
This is a very unscientific reply based on nothing but my own reading and observations, but it seems to me that the only way you get these offers is because you've already been to Disney World one or more times.

In other words, they pull up lists of names of people who have stayed there before within a certain time frame, like October-December. Since these visitors have already done it once, Disney solicits them because they're more likely to do it again, rather than sending out a random mailing or e-mail to people who just visit the Disney web site, for example.

This would explain why the babysitter got the mailing at the above poster's address. Obviously the reservation wasn't under her name, but she was listed on the guest registry, and they're trying to get her back by offering a discount.

This can't be right. I stay there almost every season. The latest was September 07, April 08, scheduled for October and December 2008 and April 2009. I have a Disney Visa card, belong to more sites than I can count and am an annual pass holder as well as shop at Disney online and Disney stores with credit cards. I missed out somewhere. I can only pray they open a discount next week for passholders like they have historically done at this time of the year. I can only hope.....:fingers:

Sunshine1010
08-07-2008, 10:09 PM
Nanci,

That's what I kinda figured. Thanks!

DumboMom
08-07-2008, 10:35 PM
Last year we got the mailer for the discount on your hotel stay. The mailer that came was addressed to me but in my maiden name.
Like many others I have no clue as to the exact way I was selected but the only time that Disney had that information was from a trip that I had to cancel.
Maybe they try to get the people who don't go as much, to come.:mickey:

sndral
08-07-2008, 11:49 PM
I'm no marketing guru, but it would make sense to target people who might be persuaded to go as opposed to people who can be depended on to go. Or, to encourage those who do go to spend more. In my case, a few years ago I went to a moderate. I later got a postcard with a code for a deluxe, which I used for a trip several months later - I paid more for the deluxe than a moderate would have cost me, but was happy to get a deluxe @ a 'discount.'

pixiesmimi
08-08-2008, 12:20 AM

This could be true because my DH and I stayed last year in the August/Sept time frame but the reservation was in my name. This mailer came in my DH's name. Sounds like they are trying to target the other people that came on some reservations. Except that we stayed at a moderate and this was for a value. It looks like to me that they would want you to upgrade to a more expensive resort instead of downgrading. It is killing me that we can't use this at this time since it is such a good discount and wish I could transfer it to one of my DD's. The part about the last date being 12/23 and them taking reservations up to that date doesn't make sense if they want you to do the package, which is 5 nights/6 days, if the days after the 23rd would be regular rates. That means the whole discounted package wouldn't count. :confused:

I hope they offer something like this to us again since we won't be able to use this one.

MNNHFLTX
08-08-2008, 10:03 AM
The how and why of people getting these mailings (and emails) from Disney is an oft-debated thing. And there is always an exception to the theory, which is why it is such a mystery! As for us, all the offers we've received in recent years have been addressed to my husband. And his only connection was having a Florida resident's seasonal pass years ago (which my son and I also had). Otherwise all the previous reservations have been in my name and my husband hasn't even been there in over three years, while my son and I have been back on several trips since then.

Like I said, it's a mystery to me.

MNNHFLTX
08-08-2008, 10:10 AM
The part about the last date being 12/23 and them taking reservations up to that date doesn't make sense if they want you to do the package, which is 5 nights/6 days, if the days after the 23rd would be regular rates. That means the whole discounted package wouldn't count.
That's a good point about the booking date being up until 12/23--that is kind of unusual for WDW to offer late booking like that. However, I can understand why they wouldn't want to offer the discount beyond that date. Christmas week being one of the busiest times of the year there, if they continued the rates for people checking in on 12/23 and staying through the week, they would lose a bunch of money. And since the resorts will be booked pretty solid then anyway they don't need to offer the discount for that period.

TINKERBELL_82
08-08-2008, 11:01 AM
I am disappointed - we just bought annual passes last week and I thought we would be one of the first ones to be offered a discounted room during that time. We didn't receive any pin and I am a subscriber to almost every site and buy through Disney Shopping online and have a Disney Visa card - I couldn't be more Disney and did not get a pin. I am very sad :fit:

Ditto- I've been a AP holder for 4 years, am a Disney Visa Card holder, DDE Member, and am signed up for every website and email blast out there. I wonder if they don't send them to people like us because they know we are going to go anyway, even without the discount.:(

Aggie97
08-08-2008, 11:19 AM
We're in the same situation as many other posters -- AP holders, on all the e-mail/mail lists, visit WDW 1-3 times a year, etc. -- and never have received a discount PIN code.

I did direct e-mail and mail marketing for a large professional association for a few years. We rarely sent special offers to individuals who we felt fairly certain would join the association or renew their memberships without any additional enticement! :)

I've always wondered if that's why I'm not on the WDW discount lists... they've figured out that I'm coming back -- with or without a discount offer. :mickey:

Cheloconnell
08-08-2008, 01:50 PM
Has anyone heard of the possibility of an annual passholder discount coming out next week? Historically, it looks like they have done this for the past 2 years at the same timeframe and I am hoping to get my next 2 booked trips in October and December discounted. :mickey:

KEH113
08-08-2008, 05:22 PM
I just got the same mailing today. However, it was addressed to our former nanny who used to live with us. We brought her with us to WDW in 2005. So my guess is they are targeting names that haven't been back in a while?

MississippiDisneyFreak
08-08-2008, 05:36 PM
Did I understand that if you are booked for that time period and get a PIN you can apply it to your existing reservation ? For example, if I am booked Dec. 20 thru 30th can I apply it to 20-23rd?

The Hitchhiking Ghost
08-08-2008, 06:20 PM
It's not a "room only" code. What I was told was that the PIN code was room and base MYE tickets. I would assume you are getting tickets, but if you are an AP holder, I would assume that this discount would not apply to you.

Assuming you are getting tickets, and that there is availability at this rate, I would think the discount would apply to the nights that fall within the promotional code, which is 12/13-20.

Pirate Granny
08-08-2008, 10:47 PM
I for once got an e-mail with the 'deal'...and it is saving me plenty...and thankfully Terrisue of MJ actually CALLED me to explain how much I would save if I switched my reservation to take advantage of this package.

EVERYONE should use MJ...they are GREAT...

:pirate:

and by the way...my disney friend got a postcard and we'll have to figure out how to use, as we are already going for free dining and we're not going to change that reservation.

eandrsmom
08-08-2008, 11:44 PM
We used the code for our existing reservations. We have two different reservations, one for MYW pkg and one for room only. Our code was appled to both reservations. I got $400 off our pkg and $200 off each night for the room only reservation.

PirateLover
08-09-2008, 09:10 AM
There definitely can be no rhyme or reason to who gets a pin code. My family went with my fiance's family in May 07. That trip was booked under my name for both families, so he gets Disney mail sent to his house with my family's name on it all the time as a result of that May trip. HE got the offer at HIS house in my name, despite the fact that we've been during the actual time frame twice. Those trips were booked through my name with my address, but it didn't come to my house. My cousin is looking to go in December again for the 4th time and he got nothing. I wish I could give him our pin...

wildernesslady
08-09-2008, 09:05 PM
I got a card today. It came with a friends name, but my address. She is staying with me using DVC in October. We needed a room only for one night of our trip and got $100.00 off at WL. They let me use it since she was staying in the room also. I haven't gotten my own personal code in forever. I guess they don't have to persuade us to go.

thrillme
08-11-2008, 09:14 AM
I got this too but it doesn't look like it will save all that much because I want HOPPER passes and the offer is $371 for "day" at ONE park.