PDA

View Full Version : So, I need some opinions!

CaptainJessicaSparrow
08-06-2008, 08:08 PM
Well, as some of you know, I left the Emporium and transferred to attractions, where I am currently working at Jungle Cruise.

Well, today I got a phone call from Casting and they asked me if I was still interested in becoming a Character Attendant, my other choice.

The problem is that I am a little torn because I'm not even done with my training at Jungle (but I will be finished by the time they process it) and I like it there but I have a really strong passion for Entertainment. I feel like if I were to leave Jungle, it would seem like I was 'giving up' after just a few weeks.

I could stay at Jungle for a while and then try to transfer again in 6 months, but they may not have any positions then. But if I do transfer to CA, my training for Jungle will still hold and I could pick up shifts there (or any attraction that doesn't need specific training). Also, with staying at Jungle, I can also get training for POTC and HM (both of which I have requested).

Since I want leadership, I am looking to get as much experience as possible. With Attractions, there are more possibilities to advance, but it's difficult to network since the leaders are nonexistent (meaning hidden - I've only seen my like twice). But with Entertainment, someone needs to either quit or die before advancing, because there are so few positions.

I was hoping some of my Intercot family and friends could help with some suggestions! I spoke to a few of my former leaders who were really supportive and they think I should go for it since it really is my passion. I just don't know what to do!

Jim, Joanna? Anyone?! Where should I go?! :confused:

DestinationWDW
08-06-2008, 09:05 PM
One thing about management, the buck stops at you. You have to make the decision. Crete a list of pro’s and con’s.

1 What will make you happy, position wise?
2 What benefits you by changing positions or how will it affect you later in your career.
3 How will you improve guest experience?
4. How does transferring from position to another affect your overall performance rating. Do they frown upon it or do they promote it.
5 What additional training do you receive and how will it benefit you later in life i.e. future careers?

Good luck with your decision.

DisneyWhirled
08-06-2008, 10:40 PM
Jessica, that is wonderful!! Not that you are in this scenario, but that they called you up!! You should be very proud of yourself.

When we had the wonderful opportunity of meeting you, you spoke fondly of Entertainment. I wish I could help you with your decision, but alas, that is something only you can do.

You have a wonderful personality and will do well wherever you go! You are staying with the company, and that itself gains you experience.

You kinda have to weigh what you want to do right now. Where is your heart at? (Sounds corny, I know.) Hind sight is always 20/20, but you won't know unless you try...

If you leave Jungle, you are not quitting, you are persuing your passion.

Good luck to you!! Please keep me posted on your decision!!

MMouse6937
08-06-2008, 11:15 PM
If you leave Jungle, you are not quitting, you are persuing your passion.

Exactly what I thought, if CA is your passion, then you should go there. Like you said you have the training from the JC to fall back on if you ever need it. You have done so many diverse things for the parks already this can only increase your value and experience. I would love to meet up with you in Sept and say hi, you seem like just the greatest. Take care, keep us posted on your decision and where you'll be next month! :hug:

PittFan
08-06-2008, 11:21 PM
JESSICA ... you have to take opportunities as they come. believe me , i know. i was an actor in the late 80's and early 90's, some opportunities NEVER present themselves again!!! you owe it to yourself to pursue the best avenue available, you never know when it will come, OR IF, it will come again. trust me, i wouldn't want anyone to make the mistake i made !!!! just go for it with NO REGRETS !!!!:thumbsup:

brownie
08-06-2008, 11:44 PM
It sounds like you'd still be able to work the Jungle Cruise at times if you became a character attendant. It would certainly help to round out your experiences, which would probably be helpful for advancement down the road.

Mousemates
08-07-2008, 12:17 AM
While not knowledgeable on the particulars of the job descriptions for the positions you have listed, from what I garner from your post it appears you can still keep your finger in the attractions pot (i.e. picking up shifts on the jungle cruise or various other attractions) while getting your foot in the door as a character attendant.

I think I would be inclined to give character attendant a try, and if it turned out to be something less than what you expected, or a dead end in turns of advancement...with your continued ties in attractions... a return move would be easier to wrangle.

However, I'm sure there are folks far more saavy with the particulars of Disney employment than me, so it might be wise to take my advice with the proverbial grain of salt. But with that said, I will pray that you will have the discernment you need to make a wise decision.

CaptainJessicaSparrow
08-07-2008, 01:38 AM
See, this is why I love this forum!

Thank you everyone for your advice!

It's true that I can still work attractions while I am a CA, so I'm thinking of going for it. Like it was said, if it's not as I thought it was, I can easily go back.

If I go to CA, I will have worked all the major components of the parks - F&B, Merch, Attractions, and Ent. Of course there are tons of smaller, specialized roles out there too. But I think with this, it will give me a well-rounded approach for leadership.

So, wish me luck everyone and thank you again!

mouseketeer mom
08-07-2008, 08:24 AM
Hi Jessica! I agree with the others..feeling passionate about your choice is a gift. It means you are doing the right thing for yourself! Follow your passion and I bet things will fall into place for you! Good Luck!

meldan98
08-07-2008, 06:19 PM
Really, look at is as a step up. And remember, Lassiter was a Jungle Cruise captain once, and look where he is now.

joanna71985
08-07-2008, 07:26 PM
Oh wow, this is awsome! I know how much you wanted to get into entertainment! Good luck with everything!:)

tmosier
08-07-2008, 07:44 PM
Easy answer--- if it is your passion, then you MUST accept the offer!

Mousemates
08-07-2008, 08:00 PM
Good luck....and if you get a chance, maybe let us know what the general duties of a character attendant are....i.e. is it what it sounds like?

CaptainJessicaSparrow
08-07-2008, 08:03 PM
Well, Joanna is currently a CA.

So if I'm not mistaken, pretty much we make sure the characters get on and off set on time, make sure guests aren't trying to hurt them, help them get dressed, make sure they have what they need as far as water/drinks, transportation to and from meals and what not, crowd control during parades.

Is that generally what they do, Joanna?

dolphinmickey9170
08-07-2008, 08:17 PM
Hey Jess. I agree with Karen's words of wisdom. When we talked, you could see the passion for Entertainment through your eyes. I think you should go for it. What a wonderful opportunity for advancement.

You are such a great gal with so much going for you!! I say DO IT!! :joy::yay:

I can't wait to see you next week. Are you working Sunday? I'll call you on your day off. I have a question for you regarding the black water bottle holders you wear on your belt (I've seen on JC).

joanna71985
08-07-2008, 08:26 PM
Good luck....and if you get a chance, maybe let us know what the general duties of a character attendant are....i.e. is it what it sounds like?

Character attendants assist the character(s) they are with, answer questions for guests, help out with taking pictures, keep the queue line in control, and so on.

Well, Joanna is currently a CA.

So if I'm not mistaken, pretty much we make sure the characters get on and off set on time, make sure guests aren't trying to hurt them, help them get dressed, make sure they have what they need as far as water/drinks, transportation to and from meals and what not, crowd control during parades.

Is that generally what they do, Joanna?

Pretty much. Except attendants don't have to worry about transporting them to dining (the captain does that), and attendants don't do crowd control (you have to be trained to do that).

CaptainJessicaSparrow
08-07-2008, 08:33 PM
Hmmm, wonder how that will work since I am PAC trained (required for attractions).

I am scheduled to work this Sunday, Kristen. What did you need to know abut the holders?

dolphinmickey9170
08-07-2008, 08:51 PM
Hmmm, wonder how that will work since I am PAC trained (required for attractions).

I am scheduled to work this Sunday, Kristen. What did you need to know abut the holders?

I thought you were working, how late? I don't think we are going to make it to MK until after dinner in Japan.

As for the holders, is there any way I could purchase a couple? Or are they only allowed to issue one to a CM?

CaptainJessicaSparrow
08-07-2008, 09:07 PM
They only issue one per CM and if we lose them, we need to pay to have them replaced. I'm pretty sure they keep track of how many we get since we have to sign them out.

On Sunday, I work 11-7:30.

Mousemates
08-07-2008, 11:19 PM
thanks again for the info....and I'm sure I'm not the only one who appreciates your insights from the inside and who wishes you well on your way up the disney ladder.

Hayden's Dad
08-08-2008, 09:54 AM
Hey Captain,

I know your passion has been entertainment, and as I read this it sounds more and more like you are leaning towards CA which sounds pretty close to your dream job excpet with the exception of the Haunted Mansion, but if you can pick us shifts in the attractions as well as working as a CA and with it being as hard as it sounds like it is to get in as one I think you have answered your own question.
With any business the more skills you have the more valuable you become with your experience at the Emporium, now your training at JC this would just be another feather in your cap. I say go for it. :thumbsup:

princessjojo
08-08-2008, 11:00 AM
You could just look at it this way. It's not often something you've really wanted was just dropped in your lap. Those who tend to make the best leaders, if you look back and think, are those with the most diversity and are able to wear any number of different hats. It gives you the chance to know what all of it is about. After all, doctors don't do surgery if they don't know something about basic health safety, infection control, & CPR.

I'd say go for it. You may never get the chance to do this again. It's really what you want and you do have to chance to go back to Jungle Cruise from time to time, so you're not completely abandoning them. And you're giving someone else the chance to advance to Jungle Cruise.

TINKERBELL_82
08-08-2008, 11:27 AM
Go for it Jessica! Look at it this way, if it's not something you like then you can always go back to being a ride attendant since you're already trained.

Keep us posted! :mickey:

CaptainJessicaSparrow
08-14-2008, 12:54 AM
So I had my interview today for CA.

I had them laughing so much during the interview.

Needless to say, they gave me the position. They didn't even discuss it for more than a minute, just walked out and handed the paper to the secretary.

So, effective August 31st, I leave the Jungle and move onto Entertainment as a Character Attendant.

Thanks to everyone's help and opinions. I think I'm going to be glad I did it.

joanna71985
08-14-2008, 07:39 AM
So I had my interview today for CA.

I had them laughing so much during the interview.

Needless to say, they gave me the position. They didn't even discuss it for more than a minute, just walked out and handed the paper to the secretary.

So, effective August 31st, I leave the Jungle and move onto Entertainment as a Character Attendant.

Thanks to everyone's help and opinions. I think I'm going to be glad I did it.

Woohoo!! Congrats!!:thumbsup:

crazypoohbear
08-14-2008, 04:59 PM
Congrats. I think you will enjoy your new position.
Where will we all find you when we come down for the free dining in Sept???

Marilyn Michetti
08-14-2008, 05:38 PM
Hey, great !:woohoo:

You know the great thing about Intercot? If you read all the way to the end, you don't have to feel "dumb" for asking, "what is a CA"?
(Ooops, now I feel dumb).:(

pink
08-14-2008, 07:01 PM
Congradulations. :mickey:

CaptainJessicaSparrow
08-15-2008, 12:52 AM
Lol.

Well, it'd be tricky to find me since our schedules can fluctuate, working multiple parks in one week.

I'll let anyone who PMs me know my sched when they are coming.

I'll also still pick up Jungle shifts. Or like this week, everything else.

Alligirl
08-15-2008, 02:08 AM
Congratulations Jessica! How lucky you are to try out all these different positions at WDW!!! Have fun!:thumbsup:

CaptainJessicaSparrow
08-15-2008, 08:39 AM
It's funny how in the last 25 days, I've worn 6 different costumes.

Hayden's Dad
08-15-2008, 09:42 AM
Congratulations!!!! We are so happy for you. We can't wait to see you in October for Hayden's MAW trip.!!!!!

joanna71985
08-15-2008, 09:46 AM
It's funny how in the last 25 days, I've worn 6 different costumes.

Wow!

tinklover
08-15-2008, 09:47 AM
Oh jessica I am so happy for you that you finally got into Entertainment . I will def contact you via pm before our 2009 trip . I should have done that before our June trip cause i stopped into the emporium to see you and they said you were off that day :( i was so bummed. but any way congrats on your promotion.:thumbsup:

joanna71985
08-15-2008, 09:54 AM
Just wanted to add...I can't wait to work with you when I come back down!:)

murphy1
08-15-2008, 11:42 AM
Enjoy the job! Hoping to see you one of these trips! I bet you are glad not be in the crazy Emporium, it gets sooo crowded there! And hey, good for you for taking the Mouse by the ears, as they say! :mickey:

MauiMouse
08-16-2008, 08:03 PM
Jessica, congrats on the CA job! :thumbsup: Hope to see you in the coming weeks at Jungle Cruise before you move over to CA. :mickey:

DisneyWhirled
08-16-2008, 08:32 PM
Wonderful News, Jessica!! So happy for you!!