PDA

View Full Version : riding with a 1year old.

fab4nczc
08-06-2008, 10:55 AM
This will be out first trip travelling with a child under 3 in Sept 08. We are looking forward to spending our vacation at POR with our family. I am just wondering if anyone can tell me what rides they do not recommend us to try with our 1 yo. We know we will be using the child swap alot with our 4 yo. i also recall that there a few family rides like Winnie the Pooh that will be comfortable for the 1 yo. Thanks to anyone who can help.:thumbsup:

Imagineer1981
08-06-2008, 11:16 AM
sorry to not answer your question but I also would like to know this since I will have 1yr old when I go as well

disneygeek84
08-06-2008, 11:34 AM
I would say if the dark bothers your child, then stay away from the darker rides (POTC, HM, those types of things). Peter Pan is a little dark, but there's so many things to look at that your child might not notice how dark is. Otherwise, pretty much all the rides in Fantasyland are family style rides where you can ride all together.

Hope that helps some. Have a Magical Trip!!!

Lizzie
08-06-2008, 12:50 PM
We have taken our kids since they were 7 months on everything that didn't have a height restriction. The only problems we have had as they have gotten older were sometimes they got bored in the longer rides and shows at the very end.

SoaringEpcot
08-06-2008, 01:09 PM
We took DS in 2005 at 14mths old. He went on all but about 12 rides in all 4 parks combined. Any ride that does not have a height restriction is OK.:thumbsup:

SAHDad
08-06-2008, 01:15 PM
At 9 months, we took DS on lots of rides without a height restriction; and we did the same thing when DD was 11 months. But, when DS was 2 (and, to a lesser extent, 4), then dark rides became more of a problem. But at 9 (and 11) months, the kids enjoyed or slept through the following:

Pirates, Jungle Cruise, Cindy's Carousel, Peter Pan, Pooh, Snow White, Small World, and probably others in the MK.

TwoTinyWings
08-06-2008, 01:29 PM
We've also always taken our kids on anything that doesn't have a height restriction. One thing that has always helped our two (especially as they have gotten past infancy and started to get spooked by the dark more easily) has been to let them know what to expect on each ride, both before getting on and - in a low voice - during the ride. Be especially aware of "surprise" elements, like the blast of air on JII or the drop on PotC. Kids like to know what to expect - it helps them feel more comfortable, especially in an environment with so much stimulation. Don't forget about non-obvious elements of attractions that might also be alarming to little ones (water misting during Philharmagic, bouncing with Tigger on the Pooh ride, etc.).

Belster
08-07-2008, 12:33 AM
I would agree with all of the people above. I have taken all of my kids on the rides that do not have a height restriction, I will be taking my then 7 month old for the first time in October, he will go on everything we can take him on.

Have fun!:party:

EmmMOM2
08-07-2008, 09:49 AM
We took our son when he as 14 months old and we went on EVERRYTHING aside from coasters..
1 year olds tend to not have developed fears yet..

We went on Peter pan, pooh, small world, great movie ride, pirates of car, jungle cruise, kilimanjaro safari, norway ride, mexico ride, 3d movies (he LOVED)...

cal5755
08-07-2008, 10:06 AM
I took my 6 month old on everything except coasters too. She also went on everything at 2 except coasters. The only thing she was unsure of was in JII when the blast of air came. You will figure it out as you go though.

Hope you have a blast.

shepherdgirl
08-07-2008, 05:39 PM
We've taken our 2 year old since he was an infant. He loves It's a Small World and the teacups (we don't spin much). Like everyone has said, whatever doesn't have a height restriction, we've done. But he really doesn't like JII and the blast of air at the end. At least at that point, you're about to get off with your crying child!

MichaelMouse
08-08-2008, 12:09 AM
Just got back two weeks ago. My son is 16 months old and we had your concern. However, We had no problem with the following rides:

MK: Pirates, Jungle Cruise, Tiki Room, Haunted Mansion, Small World, Carosel, Dumbo, Snow White, Pooh, Tea Cups, Buzz, Wed Way people mover, Laugh Studio.

Epcot: Spaceship earth, figment, mexico ride

MGM: Toy Story, Playhouse Disney Live on Stage.

He loved Small World due to all the colors involved and dancing dolls. He also had a blast at Play house disney which is basically a nightclub for kids. The characters come out and dance with the kids and families. This is really worth it if your kid can stand on his/her own and move a bit. In the end: Plenty of rides to go on. Enjoy.:mickey::mickey: