PDA

View Full Version : ME and luggage

fab4nczc
08-06-2008, 10:47 AM
We will be arriving at the airport around 12n and will be using the ME. Now we have never used this service before and have heard that it takes a long time to get your luggage. How long are we talking, in a few hours, the next day? Does anyone recommend what we should pack in our carry on that will accomadate our DS4 and DS1 until we get our luggage. Thanks to anyone who can help:confused:

Nascfan
08-06-2008, 11:18 AM
If you are arriving around noon, it shouldn't be more than a few hours. Certainly not the next day.....unless the airline happens to lose your luggage (NOT DME).

You should always pack essentials anytime you fly, just in case the airline does again, happen to lose your luggage. What you pack for this trip will depend on what you plan to do when you arrive. Are you heading to the pool? Pack swimsuits and towels (and buy sunscreen at the resort). If you're heading to the parks, pack your camera(s) and whatever you may need there, perhaps some empty water bottles if desire. And of course, a few diapers for your youngest. Never know, ya know. ;)

disneycutie165
08-06-2008, 11:23 AM
We used it last time and it only took three hours. We were not in the room at the time, so we were happy to see our luggage. I recommend you put a chang eof clothes and a bathing suite in your carry-on. Hope this helps!:mickey:

yjgirl32
08-06-2008, 11:30 AM
It should not take longer then 3 hours max. We had our luggage within the hour. It took us a little while to check-in and then we grabbed a bite to eat and by the time we got back our luggage had magically appeared. Have a great trip!

CleveRocks
08-06-2008, 01:56 PM
In the Disney's Magical Express materials that they mail to you, it says to expect your luggage in your room about three hours after you arrive at your resort.

We've used DME twice and loved it both times. Our kids were 5 and 2.5 the first time, and 6.5 and 4 the second time. We're going again 6 months from now, when they'll be 6 and just shy of 9.

Even though I love using DME, I thought of surprising my wife with a car service this one time, since we're going for her 40th birthday. I asked my kids, and they both said they'd much rather ride in "the Disney bus" than in a fancy car. Then my son, the older one, paused and asked if the car service would have a TV coming out of the ceiling, and when I told him I wasn't sure, he said he definitely wants the bus.

The average time from airplane exit to resort is 70 minutes. We did it in 63 minutes and in 56 minutes (yes, I timed it!). This is comparable to how long it would take you with a car service. With DME, you check-in at the counter, wait for your bus (if it's not waiting for you), and wait for your bus to leave, but all of this takes about the same amount of time as waiting at baggage claim, on average.

A car service is a great way to go if you want personalized and private service, but if you just want to get to your WDW resort safely and efficiently and don't really care about having your own driver or about sharing the ride with others, then DME is a great way to go. Oh, and it's FREE.:cool:

No matter where I fly, I always pack a carry-on for the first 24 hours, just in case the AIRLINE delays my luggage. It's just a smart and self-protective way to fly. It's my version of travel insurance!

The DME luggage gets delivered to the inside of your room whether you're in there or not (to me, that's the "magical" part), which means you can just go out and play.

The first time we went as a family, we landed around 9:15 a.m. and were at our resort about an hour later. We were lucky ... our room was ready early. We got lunch at the food court, walked around the resort to explore for a little bit, then went back to our room to change into bathing suits (thanks to our carry-ons) and went to the pool. WHen we got back from the pool, our DME luggage was in our room.

Can't beat that!

Lizzie
08-06-2008, 02:01 PM
We arrived around 8:30 AM and it only took about 30 minutes for us to get our luggage but I don't think that is the norm. We were the only people on our bus.

Disney Lynn
08-07-2008, 09:07 AM
What do you plan on doing on your arrival day? If you're going to stay at the resort and go to the pool, pack swim suits, water shoes, sunhats, water toys (like inflatable beach balls, swim rings, etc) and a 3 oz tube of sunblock. You can get towels from your room(and ask for more to be brought there while you're swimming). If your room is not available, ask for towels when you check in and then change in the bathrooms/changing rooms by the pool.

If you're going to a park, handcarry everything you will need for the day in the park (3 oz tube of sunblockLOL!, walking shoes, sunhats, jacket-depending on time of year).

No matter what you intend to do, hand carry anything that you can't live without or easily replace (medicine, tickets, kids' favorite lovey or blankie). When DD was little, I always hand carried a complete change of clothes for her and usually for me too. (She tended to get motion sick- usually on me.)