PDA

View Full Version : To Park Hop or Not to Park Hop that is the question!!!

disneyfan328
08-06-2008, 10:12 AM
Ok, so I am in the very early stages of planning a possible 2009 trip (may have to wait until 2010 we'll see) and I wanted to know from all of you veterans and experts out there - Is it really worth buying the Park Hopper option for the tickets??? :confused:

It is a difference of about 250.00 for our family (estimating costs by the info out there and help from MJ - thanks Terrisue!) When we went the last time we did pay for it - however with all of my obsessive planning and ADR's we didn't need it and never used it. I know that there are certain shows/parades that are only on certain nights or so many times a week like Fantasmic and Spectromagic so I would really have to plan it out well to make it work.

How many of you buy the hopping option and end up not using it, or wouldn't go to Disney without it and why? The money we save could mean a day at Seaworld which is something that although Non Disney is something that we really want to do. I just don't want to miss out on anything at Disney either

Also if we do just standard tickets can you add just a one day pass to the waterpark? If so how much extra is that usually?
Not sure if I should have posted this in the planning Forum or not so if that's where it should be please move :mickey:

OK so to add some information here becuase of the varied responses -

Cast is
myself - 35 only been to Disney twice
DH - 39 only been to Disney twice
DD - 19 only been to Disney twice
DD - 8 1/2 Only been to Disney once
DS - 6 1/2 Only been to Disney once

We definetly plan on visiting at a slower time if possible. Maybe Sept/Oct or Feb?May?
We will most likely be on a ddp but it will probably be the new Quick service plan if that is available when we get all of the decisions made so more than likely no ADR's this time.

for AK I can see a 1/2 day but would probably head back for a swim and then do DTD that night and eat there for the evening. I guess at this point I am leaning more toward not getting them, but from the first 18 responses I guess that is not the norm for Disney. Hours for the parks will be shorter when we go so doing a 2nd Park in the eveing probably wouldn't work out anyway unless it is EMH. Keep the responses coming though it is definetly giving me some things to think about.

Now after reading a lot of the responses I guess my biggest question is this -

If we park hop and are staying ON property - don't we have to take the bus back to the hotel to get a bus to another park? Being that we plan on going when it is a slow time wouldn't that take up a lot of time? Or would we be better off to take a bus to a monorail resort and then head to the TTC and catch a bus to another resort - again this still seems like it would eat up a lot of time especially if the parks aren't open late - is it really worth it? on 1/2 day parks I would rather head to the hotel to swim or to DTD maybe.

MississippiDisneyFreak
08-06-2008, 10:38 AM
I would never go without it. We had an occurance where MK was so crowded that we were miserable and we left and went to a less crowded park...also, we've spent the day in one park but had ADRs for dinner in another park or just planned a nighttime activity in another park , like Illuminations....of course, there are days we stay put in the first park we go to, I guess for me its one of those I'd rather have it and not use it, than need it and not have it.:mickey:

GrumpyFan
08-06-2008, 10:41 AM
As with a lot of things, it depends. For WDW, it really depends on your touring style, your family's preferences and your stamina. Usually we will add on park hoppers, plus water parks and more, because there are six of us, two of which are teenagers. At times we might split up and go to separate parks, then meet back up for dinner at a particular park/location. So, having this option makes it great and easy for everybody to do what they want.

There have been times though, when it was just my wife and I, and we didn't get the park hopper because we were going at a much slower pace and didn't really want to jump around. However, once my wife and I went down for a day and a half, and got the park hopper, and did all 4 parks in that day and a half. It was fun, but quite tiring.

So, you can see, it really just depends on how you want to spend your time. I will also advise, that if it's a busy time of year, having the hopper option makes it easy to jump to another park if the one you're in gets too crowded. Sometimes this works, and you can get away from the crowds, other times it's like jumping from the frying pan into the fire.

If you've never been to Seaworld, saving the money and doing that is a good choice that you'll probably enjoy. As for adding on water parks, I'm pretty sure you can do that once you're there at the front desk. Or, you could order them online from Disney or a ticket agent. But, don't wait until you go to the water park, or you'll pay more.

MauiMouse
08-06-2008, 10:44 AM
I have always park hopped.

I will be going with a family this trip (coming up shortly) that won't have park hopper tickets. Will it be different for me, most definitely. But I think that it should be okay. I actually have an AP, so I guess if I want I can go on my own and park hop in the morning, before meeting up with them later.

Did I answer your question, probably not. Again this family that I'm going with, never park hop. They have little children and spend the days at one park. Me on the other hand I like to ability to park hop where I want when I want. So I guess it all depends on your family. I've always had the park hopper ability and have always used it.

It would probably be cheaper just to go to the Water Park and purchase your ticket there.

LuvsTigger80
08-06-2008, 10:45 AM
I wouldn't go without it!! Our first trip was in April of 08 and we use the park hopper almost every day. we would spend the morning half in one park...go back to the hotel for a nap or just to rest...then go back to another park at night. I was very happy that we had it. :mickey: It made our trip less stressful.

Imagineer1981
08-06-2008, 11:00 AM
HOP HOP HOP!! :yay:

We always have park hoppers. You never know if you are going to go to a park that is completely crowded and want to leave or as some state DHS and AK are half day parks and you could do AK in the am and go see Wishes or Fantasmic or Illuminations the same night!!

ibelieveindisneymagic
08-06-2008, 11:01 AM
We've always used the park hopper, usually because we want to eat in Epcot too many times!!

Having the park hopper really does give you a lot more flexability, especially, as you said, with the number of nighttime events that only happen on certain days.

The Water Parks option is $50/ticket, but a 1-day waterpark ticket is only $40, so if you're only going to the 1 waterpark, you're better off buying the ticket at the waterpark.

DNS
08-06-2008, 11:07 AM
We always buy the park hopper tickets/option and we always use it. We have made many trips 7 - 10 days a trip and I doubt there has been more than two days we have not used the park hopper. However, if money was very tight, I would not add it. It is something that can drop some $$ off vacation costs. I think it depends on individual vacations and how many days you think you would really use it.

Nascfan
08-06-2008, 11:08 AM
This is another one of those questions where there is no right or wrong answer. What I do, what MauiMouse does, what any other Intercotee does may or may not be what's best for your family.

There are many considerations to take into account, such as how your family tours, the amount of planning you want to do, the time of year. From what you said, you can and do plan well. That may allow you to save the money and not hop. I have to concur with GrumpyFan that time of year is very important. During busier times it may be much more advantageous to have the hopping option than slower times of the year.

As for us, we hop. It's worth it to us. We go in the summer and it's more crowded and warm. So if one seems crowded, we like the option to hop to another park. We like to take midday breaks and go to another park in the evening, or a different one for EMH. This past June, we hopped 4 of our 7 park days. We were at Epcot and MK 4 times each, on different days, and Studios twice. So it was well worth the money for us. If you're trying to save for something else, it may not be worth it to you.

In regards to the water park, you can purchase a one day pass at your concierge desk of your resort. That is what we did and I believe they were in the mid $30 range per person. One thing to take into consideration, if you plan to spend more than one trip to a water park, or water park and Disney Quest, it is cheaper to add the option on. But, if you truly plan only one trip to a water park, it is cheaper to purchase a one day pass. That saved us approximately $9 per person.

Enjoy planning and have fun! :mickey:

Diznee4Me
08-06-2008, 11:10 AM
Another Hopper here!:D I really like having the choice to switch parks through out the day.

I just can't enter a park at 8AM and stay until midnight. With a hopper you can visit a park in the morning and later in the week visit it at night. The parks have a totally different atmosphere at different times of day.

CleveSJM
08-06-2008, 11:16 AM
We used to always Hopper, now we don't.

Couple key decision factors.

1. We have been down many times now and know we can hit a park in a day. For rookies or people really trying to maximize every minute (like we used to) I'd say get the hopper.
2. We don't go during busy seasons. Hopping is more necessary during busy times to avoid excessive crowds.

Without a hopper, its more relaxing for us as well. I'm not thinking about where to go, transport to/from, etc. I just live with my park du hour and enjoy.

Also, we use the party tickets to "hop" on a day if we can. One park in the morning and MK for the party. Works great.

PS - And the hopper $ savings spends nicely for souvenirs.

Rich Mc
08-06-2008, 11:21 AM
HOP----HOP----HOP:
We always Park Hop! We like to go to Animal Kingdom in morning then go back to resort for a quick break and a swim.Then head out to another Park for dinner and spent the evening at one of the Parks that stays open later!

wdwfansince75
08-06-2008, 11:31 AM
A party of five....never went with a group that small! Hard to create a plan that 12-15 people will accept without hopping.
We have always hopped.....Partially because we all like to do our own thing at WDW....some of us are ride crazies, and some just like to let the magic happen....strolling, and seeing what happens. This year, we were a little more restricted....DW and DW's BF were in ETV, and DS#2 and DDiL #2 had DGS#4, at 6 months, with them, so some of us hopped very little. I, on the other hand, hopped every day, as did DS#1 and his family (DDiL#1, DGS#2, DGS#3, and DGD#3). I like to do the parks early, hitting AM EMH park as often as I can....

Hoppers are important if:

You have group that likes to do their own thing, but plan meals or special events together
You are there when some parks may become very crowded...holidays or special events
You are staying at MK resorts, and like to finish the day there
You are staying at EPCOT/DHS resorts, and find it convenient to finish the day there
You have teenagers who like to avoid rest of family....note that this is also an arguement against hoppers.
You love AM EMH, but some of your party want to start later, at a non-EMH park....
or You (or some of your group) tend to do both AM and PM EMH
You are addicted to EPCOT for meals, but only need one or two days to experience rest of EPCOT
Hoppers are less important if:

Your group always stays together
You like to do the whole day in one park
You plan your ADR's for the park, or close to the park, you will be in that day.....
Plan your parks, then plan your ADR's
If you think you may not need it, I would not purchase the park hopper option ahead of time....You can see how the first day or so goes, then upgrade if necessary....at the first park you hop to. (Note that for SoG, you can only upgrade there)

Also, if you only plan to do one day at the water parks, just buy a one day pass there, or at a lobby concierge.

Lynn J Mc
08-06-2008, 11:32 AM
We always park hop and sometimes hit 3 parks in one day. I have watched Illuminations and then made it back to MK to see the late fireworks. But it sounds like you don't really need it and could get to go to Sea World. Something I have never done and probably won't ever get to do unless Disney buys the place! Have a great time.

caryrae
08-06-2008, 11:39 AM
It's personal preference of course. We never get the Hopping option. Would rather save the money, plus we can easily spend a day at each park exploring every area going on attrations more than once ect. I just feel for us it is a waste time hopping to another park. Either way you decide will be fine.

You can buy 1 day water park tickets at our sponsor site http://www.officialticketcenter.com/blizzard_tickets.aspx

adult $39.75 child $33.00

disneygeek84
08-06-2008, 11:46 AM
According to my parents, there was only one time that we went and didn't park hop and my mom said Never Again!

Now that they have EMH in the evening as well as the morning, we tend to skip whatever park has Morning EMH. We spend all morning in one park, eat an early lunch, maybe ride a ride or two and then either head to a different park (if we're on the dinning plan, then whatever park we have ADR in) or head back to the resort to take a nap or change clothes, and then off to our other park. And generally we try to make ADR wherever they're having evening EMH.

This is what we've done since I can remember and I find it the only way to go. BUT, with that being said, it's something that works with MY family and it won't work for everyone's family. We've just always done it because we've always gone back to the resort to take a nap in the afternoon, so my parents always said, well, why not just go to another park? So that's how it works in my house.

And to answer another of your questions, Yes, you can get a one day ticket to one of the water parks. I'm not sure how much they are, we don't usually go to the water parks, but you can buy just a one day ticket without having to add the WPF&M option onto your package.

SBETigg
08-06-2008, 11:50 AM
For me, it would be such a letdown to stick to one park per day. WDW is so much better for us when we can hit one park in the morning, and another in the late afternoon/evening. If you do one park a day, you get everything done, but you miss out on some of the joy of spontaneity and redoing favorite attractions on other days.

Without hopping, I think you're more likely to view the parks as if mapped on a checklist- been there, done that. With hopping, the whole world is open to you at any given time, so it changes the way you approach your vacation. You can visit more randomly without worrying about having to fit it all in because it's your only chance, or last chance, in that park. You have the freedom of knowing you can change plans and go back, revisit favorites on a whim.

Marker
08-06-2008, 12:22 PM
Having made several trip to WDW, I always get park hoppers, and frequently use them. It's nice to have the flexability to adjust depending on crowd levels, ADRs, or just I'm in the mood to do.

HOWEVER, if I were making my first trip to WDW, especially with young kids, I really don't think I would appreciate the need.

For new visitors, there is plenty to see to keep you busy for the entire day, especially if you take you time to enjoy where you are. And with kids, you move even slower.

Having been there multiple times, I know where things are, know what I like, and will often pick and choose. But a less frequent visitior will enjoy a more relaxed pace, and the delight of discovering what's there.

Disney fans..
08-06-2008, 12:27 PM
We always use the Park Hopper!

We normally go to a park during the day but then head over to Epcot to eat supper. Also, we are not the biggest fans of AK so we usually only stay 1/2 a day there and them scoot over to another park. :thumbsup:

dnickels
08-06-2008, 12:34 PM
Since you say you do obsessive planning it's probably not worth it to you.

I'm more of a maybe I'll go here, now I feel like going here, fly by the seat of my pants person so I do it all the time, but if you're the type that plans out your whole day, lunches, dinners, etc. then it's probably not worth the extra $$.

cfoshe
08-06-2008, 12:47 PM
Not that important to my family. This year was the first year that we went with out it. We were at WDW 6 days. One thing it did do was keep use at AK, and Disney Hollywood studios all day instead of a 1/2 each. And we ended up taking all day at those parks and still did not get in everything. One reason was that we did not commando style this year. Next trip, I will save my money and not park hop. We did plan our trip around the late EMH and went to those parks the days they had them.

Artsake
08-06-2008, 12:59 PM
I think it kind of depends on the length of your vacation, if you are going for two weeks you probably wouldn't need the park hopper option as you could plan to see most everything in that amount of time. If you are going for less than a week than park hopping is probably a good idea so you can maximize your time.

We personally always get park hopper tickets. We normally stay for 6 nights and the only park in which he spend the entire day is MK. In my opinion, AK and DHS are not all day parks. I could also argue EPCOT isn't an all day park either. We normally avoid the parks on our arrival day, visit the parks 2 or 3 days out of the week and have a few days of either non disney stuff or days spent at Downtown Disney/Boardwalk.

I would base my decision on the amount of time you will be at Disney and how many days you plan to be in the parks.

Lizzie
08-06-2008, 01:02 PM
Once again it depends on your style and if you like flexability. We get up early in the morning and go back for a nap and swim and stay late.

And we like the flexability of going to other parks when we feel like one is full.

bruin1344
08-06-2008, 01:07 PM
park hopper is vital for me, i usually eat dinner epcot most of the nights but we dont spend the whole day at epcot for that day, ak is only a half day park for me so we need another park to go to for the rest of the day

bkfree
08-06-2008, 01:31 PM
We are also Hoppers.
I think I would be more frantic and stressed in making plans if we did not have the option of park hopping.
It gives you the flexibility to make last minute changes to your day's schedule.

Like many others, AK is always a half day to us, and we hit another park in the evening.

We also eat several dinner TS meals at Epcot, so the park hopper allows us that option.

I make my ADR's long before I plan our days and look at EMH hours. By having a park hopper I am not tied to a single park and ADR there.
So basically the park hopper allows us much more freedom in every respect of our trip.
Planning, ADR's and last minute changes and spontaniety.

Mousemates
08-06-2008, 01:36 PM
Just something to bear in mind, , opening to closing in WDW can be a very tiring experience...and after a few days of morning EMH to after midnight Evening EMHs some of the folks in your crew will likely begin to wear down and start wanting to take a break someplace along the line....and a 2-4pm siesta or pool break becomes a very nice thing. If you think folks might not want to return to one of the smaller park on those days (DS or/especially AK) then the parkhopper option might be a good idea.

KAJUNKING
08-06-2008, 02:05 PM
i dont think i would like going without hoppers, too often we go to a park and find it crowded and hop to another park, also almost all the great places to eat are in epcot so we hop to and from there alot

Faver
08-06-2008, 02:34 PM
Park hopping is great:thumbsup: It really gives you so much freedom, even for a planned trip. Also, it's really nice to have that option of going to another park in one day.

But, you know how life works; Don't get the park hopper option, and you'll find you want it... Get the park hopper option, and you probably won't use it! :secret:

I say get the option and plan on park hopping :mickey:

Greenlawler
08-06-2008, 03:53 PM
We are Hoppers! Our sons love to character hunt so we want to have the flexibility that if we hear Robin Hood is at MK while we are at AK we want the freedom to go!
As others have said, our ADR'S actually dictate that we hop. I mean we hit 6 character meals three of which are MK.

Gottaluvgoof
08-06-2008, 06:44 PM
I guess it's a matter of preferences. We never hop. For me, the buses are not my favorite part of my vacation, and I figure once I'm at a park, I'm staying for the day. There is plenty to do at each park, where I don't feel the need to move on to another park and once again, wait for a bus. :( I plan my TS meals according to where we are going to be. Another thing to take into consideration though, would be the crowds. We go in September and really don't run into the problem of a park being so overly crowded where we may want to hop to another. I prefer to spend my Hopper money on other things. Just an opinion.

ParkMan
08-06-2008, 08:32 PM
We always get park hoppers. It's my vacation, and I really enjoy the freedom the hoppers give me.

A few things that will cause us to continue to get the hoppers.
- once or twice a trip, we switch parks halfway through the day. This is usually late in the trip when we want 1 more morning or MK or MGM, or one more evening in Epcot.

- with the necessity of having reservations for dinner, we find a few times each trip we end up having dinner in Epcot after spending a say somewhere else.

- we've decided we're likely to stay in the Epcot resort area on our next few trips. As such, we like to stroll through Epcot in the morning, pick up the monorail, and the head to the MK.

- we love the Epcot firework. Some nights we finish off the day at Epcot just to see the fireworks.

CaptSmee
08-06-2008, 09:40 PM
I don't think it's worth the extra $$$. We usually have annual passes and use the option to hop parks, but if we were buying MYW tickets, I would not invest in it. Just my two bits...

minnesotafreeze
08-07-2008, 12:50 AM
Hopping is the only way to visit Disney for my family.:mickey:

Cheloconnell
08-07-2008, 09:29 AM
Park hopping really adds up for a larger family. Plus, you will be less likely, I think, to take a break if the parks close early. We used to have the park hopper when it was not an option not to have it. We maybe used it once or twice for AK/MGM (Hollywood Studios) since they are both half day parks. We stopped paying for them since one park a day is enough for our little ones. We just bought annual passes so it is included, but otherwise I would never pay for it separately to use it once or twice. It is just too expensive. If you are planning on being at Disney at least 6 days, it shouldn't be something you really need. Save the money and go to Seaworld or set it aside to buy some souvenirs. All the extras can be quite expensive. :mickey:http://www.clipartof.com/images/emoticons/xsmall2/188_tazmanian_devil_animation.gif (http://www.clipartof.com)

why4k
08-08-2008, 01:51 AM
Our first trip to WDW was Easter of 2006. I added the park hopper option the day we arrived and didn't use it once in seven days. My kids were 5 and 8 and by late afternoon they were worn out. We stayed offsite and taking a break and returning wasn't something any of us cared to do. This time we will be staying on propery so we will take some breaks. I don't plan on hopping. We'll see how it goes, but I think one park a day is plenty for us. If we want to do something else we'll go to DTD, the Boardwalk, or resort hop.

joonyer
08-08-2008, 12:52 PM
We have been park hoppers on every trip, and have always used it to maximize our fun. Its takes a lot of sacrifice of our extra $$$ to go on a trip to WDW, and we like to make sure we get the most for our hard-earned resources. Park hopping enables us to do just that, and we have always enjoyed the fun of visiting two (or more) parks in a day. Several times we have watched Illuminations at 9 and then caught Wishes at midnight. Or we go to MK at rope drop on an early EMH day, ride every attraction we want and are out of there by 11 am. Then we hit another park after lunch and a swim. Sometimes we even go to a third park that is open really late. We are park commandos and we love park hopping.

Dyanna
08-08-2008, 01:03 PM
We have never purchased park hopper passes for the reason that we feel it is a waste of time walking back to the bus stop to wait for a bus to take us to another park. Once we pick a park to head to that day we spend the entire day there no matter how busy it is. On our last day after visiting all 4 parks we choose which park we want to go back to & it usually winds up being MK. We also dont go to the water parks cause we can do them at home.

judoma
08-08-2008, 01:26 PM
I prefer to get park hopper tickets for a few reasons. We make several ressies in Epcot. I also am a mega planner, but I always leave a few 1/2 days open to go back and re-do what we loved, or leave it up to the kids what to do that morning or evening. We take a break each day and it's just nice to visit a different park in the evening to break up the day a bit. We can always catch a show or fireworks at any given park on a whim, even if it's the only thing you do there. I have found that the park with EMH hours tends to be more crowded during the day...we can go to any park and then when it closes, head over to the park offering EMH to get a few rides in.

Good luck with your decision!:mickey:

readytogo2
08-08-2008, 02:40 PM
We wouldnt go without it. It comes in handy it really does.

biodtl
08-08-2008, 03:36 PM
We always get it, but rarely use it. Last trip we used it once when the girls went to CRT and met up with the guys later at AK. This year, we plan on doing more hopping. Even when we don't really use it, I like having the option.

pogo
08-08-2008, 04:05 PM
I haven't read the other responses, but in my opinion park hoppers don't always make sense.

We have purchased them for this December only because we will be meeting about 50 people from JQ for a little get together. If it wasn't for that, we'd just have a cheapo pass.

In April, if we go, I promise you we won't have PH'ers. Good luck with your decision and do what you feel is right for your family. :D

kemps@wdw
08-08-2008, 11:53 PM
We always HOP :muscles: and usually never do the EMHs (have done them a couple of times @ night), We are a 2-park-a-day family and always have been,:yes: We're up early @ park opening, get our Disney on :cool: head back to our resort around midday, have some down time (naps or pool action) and head to our late afternoon/evening park depending on where we plan on dining. Try and keep your planning to a less obsessive level (just for adrs) and just enjoy yourselves. One of our fave activities is to head to Epcot in the late afternoon, and just stroll around the WS lagoon and simply eat and drink our way "around the World!" We might stop and enjoy "Off Kilter":pipes: w/a cold one:beer: in Canada, sneak back to the gardens in UK and dig on the sounds of the Beatles w/the "British Invasion":rocker:: and sample all the World has to offer (it's especially nice in Oct during the Food & Wine Fest...more countries to choose from).:cloud9::

eandrsmom
08-09-2008, 12:26 AM
We always hop, because we like to have dinner in World Showcase. If you are going during a slow time, with reduced hours, I'd suggest getting the park hopper. Then, you can take advantage of Evening Magic Hours and World Showcase at night.

mrsgaribaldi
08-09-2008, 08:40 AM
We always hop too. We like to go back to the hotel for a nap and then head out to a different park for the night, usually the park open the latest. There had never been a time we didn't hop.:mickey:

LisaP
08-10-2008, 06:38 PM
My own preference is to get the park hopper passes, but I only have one little one (DS3) and can not often take advantage of the evening EMH.

If you plan it carefully, you can maximize your time there without hopping. I use all of Intercot's info as my "bible" to make my plans, such as which days are traditionally busiest at each park (and I try to avoid those days if possible), and combine that with which days have EMH at each park (and try to take advantage of the morning EMH parks).

There is SO much to do in and around Disney that you may not regret not buying park hopper passes. You can always return to the same park later in the day and enjoy your evening as well.

Good luck with your decision and happy planning! :thumbsup:

thejens
08-10-2008, 07:11 PM
I think you can do it either way. Certainly if you are a planner and are not going during the extended hours you could do well without it. I like to plan my park and dining together. I do Animal Kingdom and Boma. Magic Kingdom with Ohana etc. If you really want to see Wishes one night and don't have a park hopper you could always do Ohana that night and watch Wishes from the beach. If I were on a budget I know that I could plan a great trip without the hopper and have a great time. On the other hand, I usually do the hopper. Staying at the Poly it was great to "dash over to MK" each night for a ride and Wishes!

SFTrny
08-10-2008, 08:52 PM
We always get the park hopper option, but we are planners who like to leave our late afternoons and evenings open. We never schedule our days too rigorously and take our evenings as they come. As a result, we are often in a different park int he evenings than we are in the morning. Part of that might be because we stay at FW and cook our dinners in the cabin. I think the value of the park hopper depends on your own pace and plan for seeing the parks. We are at a park every day at opening, and take our afternoons/evenings at a slower pace.

jenny1976
08-10-2008, 09:01 PM
My policy is NOT to PH but it is a matter of preference. I explain mine the following way...I NEED to relax, it is called a VACATION for a reason...The time you spend on transportation is ridiculous!!!! It makes no sense for us...;)

RALPH
08-11-2008, 07:34 AM
"We are a 2-park-a-day family and always have been, We're up early @ park opening, get our Disney on head back to our resort around midday, have some down time (naps or pool action) and head to our late afternoon/evening park depending on where we plan on dining. "

Exactly what we do. If we are eating in Le Cellier, it's an Epcot, or possibly a DHS night. Chef Mickey's means MK. That is how we do it.

It all depends on how you tour vs the cost. For us it is necessary and spices up the day with something different.

Mickey91
08-11-2008, 08:09 AM
Well, we have done both. A lot of times we only use the hopping once or twice on a nine day ticket. That said, the one time in the recent past that we did not have a hopper, we were disappointed. MK closed early that evening and I had not planned for it. So, our last night, we were not able to stay in a park :(. Would I ever go without a hopper? Yes. If it meant the difference of going to WDW or not.

For the waterpark, you cannot have a one day added to your pass. But, you can buy one day tickets. It would cost about the same as adding parkhopping to your ticket.

Keep in mind that the slower times you mentioned usually have party's at MK. These are sperately priced and you have to leave the park if you do not have a ticket. The park closes around 6 or 7. Some weeks there is only one party and some weeks there are many.

You can also book your ressies without hoppers and add them if you change your mind when you check in.

Good luck with the planning! Have fun!:mickey:

disneyfan328
08-11-2008, 09:37 AM
Thanks again to all of you that have responded. I can see the up and down side to it.

Since we are not planning on going during a time when the parks are open until midnight I don't think that the open to close in one park will do us in. We did ok with it on our last trip. I am still up in the air on it though for 5 of us it really is a lot of money. I guess my biggest question then is this -

If we park hop and are staying ON property - don't we have to take the bus back to the hotel to get a bus to another park? Being that we plan on going when it is a slow time wouldn't that take up a lot of time? Or would we be better off to take a bus to a monorail resort and then head to the TTC and catch a bus to another resort - again this still seems like it would eat up a lot of time especially if the parks aren't open late. I am going to post this question in the orignal question as well.

Thanks again for all of the help as all of the points have given me lots to think about.

Artsake
08-11-2008, 09:43 AM
You won't have to go back to the hotel to hop to another park, there are buses, monorails, and boats that connect the parks to each other.

Artsake
08-11-2008, 09:56 AM
Also, if you are driving to WDW or renting a car you can drive to the parks and that would cut down on the time it takes hopping between parks, IF you stay at a Disney resort you don't have to pay the parking fee so hopping with your own car/rental car would be more time efficient and would not cost you anything except a little gas.

disneyfan328
08-11-2008, 01:42 PM
Also, if you are driving to WDW or renting a car you can drive to the parks and that would cut down on the time it takes hopping between parks, IF you stay at a Disney resort you don't have to pay the parking fee so hopping with your own car/rental car would be more time efficient and would not cost you anything except a little gas.

We will be on property and have no plans to rent a car at all. We prefer to use the disney transporation.

joonyer
08-11-2008, 04:19 PM

Actually, if you are going to MK, driving and parking your car takes longer than using the buses, you'll spend 30 minutes getting from MK entrance to your car at busy times, while the buses to other parks are right outside the entrance. We've tried it and catching the bus is faster. For that reason, we almost never drive when visiting a park, unless we are planning on leaving WDW property (shopping) right after a park visit before going back to the hotel.

wdwfansince75
08-11-2008, 05:34 PM
[quote=joonyer;1712474]Actually, if you are going to MK, driving and parking your car takes longer than using the buses, you'll spend 30 minutes getting from MK entrance to your car at busy times, while the buses to other parks are right outside the entrance. We've tried it and catching the bus is faster.

When we were there in June, the buses between MK and DHS or AK operated from TTC to the other parks, rather than in front of the park....

hopping from AK or DHS to MK is still relatively simple, whether you drive, or take the bus to TTC, then use either the monorail or the ferry. From DHS to EPCOT, or the other way around, against all advice, I take the boat.

While I am not a fan of the buses, I consider the EPCOT-DHS boat a relaxing mid day break. And, of course, I consider the monorail an attraction in its own right....Sure gives my feet a break, and preps me for the evening rush.

mouseketeer mom
08-11-2008, 06:11 PM
I wouldn't even consider going without it. Being tied to an ADR time is bad enough!! I wouldn't want to lose the flexibility of going wherever I want to go while I'm on vacation! Hopping all the way.

dixielandings
08-12-2008, 11:58 AM
We would never NOT hop. It's the only way to go, IMO.

It allows much more freedom. If you go into a particular Park and a) it's crowded, b)everyone's mood changes, c) a whim comes to mind and you want to see and/or do anything in any other Park...if you have the Hopper, you can pretty follow your heart's desire. Sometimes, we go into one Park and stay all day but it helps knowing we have the freedom to leave if we want and come back.

MickeysEars
08-12-2008, 12:35 PM
The only reason we have ever changed parks is if we needed to see something before we left because of inclement weather, otherwise, with 2 children, it is too much af a hassle.

Disney Doll
08-12-2008, 02:51 PM
We have never ever hopped. Even when it used to be included in the ticket we didn't use it. I just always felt that it was more of a hassle to trek to the bus stops and travel to another park when for us there's more than enough in each park to fill a day. We might have a short day when we go to Animal Kingdom, but we appreciate having a short day at least once during the week so we can build in some rest time. I am purchasing the hopper option for the very first time this year only because we are going with our 1 yr old son and I anticipate that we might need the added flexibility with a baby. You mentioned doing more quick service meals and said you were a planner. I think you would be fine without the hopper option.

sophie peach
08-12-2008, 04:58 PM
YES!! to make the most of your ticket, you must park hop for teh ultimate experience

Snow's Mom
08-12-2008, 08:54 PM
We used the morning EMH's, so we had to have park hoppers to get out of there by noon when the crowds were becoming ridiculous! (This was in the summertime.)

Dinner reservations, as many have said, also dictate park hopping, especially if you usually eat at Epcot.

Before AK opened, we ended our trip by visiting all three parks in one day. Haven't tried four!

I forget when you're going, but weather matters, too. If it's hot, you'll need a break, then may as well go to a different park. We've used the transportation itself for our break, as previous posters mentioned. Boat rides are especially nice.

One last thing---the parks themselves. We like to combine Epcot with a smaller park. There are more shows and less walking at DS. A whole day walking around Epcot is a lot.

Don't stress---it will be fun either way!

rt207
08-12-2008, 09:34 PM
I have not read the responses you've gotten, but I would not get the Hopper option at this time. I, personally, didn't need a Hopper until I had a half dozen trips under my belt because of how much there is to explore in each park.

If you get there and decide you do need them, you can always add that option on at that time. Better, IMHO, to save the money at this time because, if you find you don't need it, you can't take it OFF the ticket. KWIM?