PDA

View Full Version : Can Anyone Recommend a Drum Set?

merlinmagic4
08-05-2008, 07:51 PM
I got some great information on the snare drum about a year ago here on Intercot. My son played the snare drum last year and wants to play a drum set in his school's Hot Jazz band this year.

I am starting to look at drum sets so he can have one at home to practice on. His band teacher did not give me much feedback on what exactly he needs so I am kind of assuming that buying a set is pretty basic.

Does anyone have any recommendations for me? I started looking around and am getting confused :blush:

Thanks!

DisneyDog
08-06-2008, 03:23 PM
Hi Kelly. My DH is a drummer, and an instructor who teaches private lessons and does drum corps and marching band clinics. He even has an instructional video that he sells through American Drum (a stick manufacturer) on cymbals for marching percussion. He has over 30 years of teaching and drumming experience. I am sure that he would be happy to help you out. If you want to PM me, I can get you in touch with him. Or, you could google Jeff Kozol and you'll come up with his website and you can email him directly through there.:thumbsup:

Jill Kozol

vizsla
08-06-2008, 04:15 PM
I really haven't played drums for a few years now but DD has grown and interest in playing. She plays the snare drum in the elementary school she attends and started playing the drum set this year. My set of drums were to big for her, so we bought her a new set. I did not want to spend a lot of money on a premium brand set in case she does not hold an interest in learning so we shopped around a bought her a 5pc. Percusion Plus set with Zildjian cymbals from a local music store. So far it has worked out great and if she stays interested we will consider getiing her a premium set or just let her use mine.

DisneyDog
08-06-2008, 04:23 PM
Oh, and if this helps any, we bought a drum set for our DS when he turned 3. He's now almost 6 (and DH does give him an occasional lesson, but he's really not ready to learn for real yet). Anyway, the set we bought him is smaller and less expensive, but he could conceivably use it his entire life. They are made by Tama. If you click here (http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/3683/2829/1600/chapin%20max%20jeff%20kozol.jpg) you will see a photo of him at his set.

Oh, and my DH said he'd be glad to help you if you contact him.

Dixie Springs
08-06-2008, 06:44 PM
Pearl, Tama, Ludwig are all good names, and most have entry-level sets. They usually do not come with cymbals & hi-hats, so that will be an additional expense. Check on-line sources, like Musician's Friend, to avoid getting soaked by the local store.

tinktude
08-06-2008, 07:04 PM
Hi!
My DS is taking drum lessons as well. We bought him a drum set for xmas last year. We purchased him a Pearl Forum drum set from a music store by our house. It had 6 drums and 2 cymbals, and it wasn't that much more than a Tama beginner set.

HollyB
08-07-2008, 09:43 AM
For jazz band, we bought the small Tama drum kit for our son. He loves it and it is exactly what he needs for jazz. For the rest of us, we bought a set of mesh heads for the drum kit. You can still hear the drum, but it isn't nearly as loud.

Holly

DisneyDog
08-07-2008, 10:58 AM
"You can still hear the drum, but it isn't nearly as loud."

I had to laugh about that. Everyone says I must be a saint. We have 3 (yes, THREE) drum sets in my house. DH has his own set (which is a monster, only Neil Peart has a bigger set than him), DS has a set, and there is a separate set DH uses for teaching lessons. They are all in our basement.

And honestly, the noise doesn't even phase me. I was made to be a drummer's wife. I could sleep through it. It used to make the dogs bark. They hated the drums. That was the only thing that really bothered me. But, they have both passed away and now it's just the drum sounds.

We used to have more stuff than we do now. DH had this marching snare, with harness, that was LOUD. And he used to have his own marching cymbals too, but his shoulder can't handle playing them anymore so he sold both.

Just found out DH will be on the Board of Directors for a brand new Drum and Bugle Corps starting in the Philly area. Life is never dull at our house.

IamBelle
08-08-2008, 05:28 PM
As a drummer in a marching band, I personally don't own a set. But, I know ppl that do and they said that a yamaha set was a good basic set. Also, you definitely need cymbals. if it were me, i wouldn't mind what set i had, as long as it plays! And if the drums are too loud, put a wallet or something small on them so they are not as loud.

A Big Kid
08-08-2008, 09:46 PM
Dont rule out the pawn shops. I got a basic drum seat from Peavy (snare, three toms, base, high hat and ride/crash cymbal). Been adding to with through the pawn shop deals.

merlinmagic4
08-09-2008, 08:56 AM
Thanks for all the replies! Many of them made me laugh :D

Thanks, DisneyDog, I think I may contact your husband to get more information. I remember googling him when I asked about snare drums last year!

I will look into the brands you all gave me. Honestly, I don't know if we have a music store around here! I will look online, too. I don't think we have pawn shops, either but I could convince my brother to check out Houston's for me ;)

I guess the biggest question I am left with is the size of the set. Do they come in different sizes? Is it like a Junior set and a full size set? If I do need to order online, I want to make sure I get the right size.

Also, just for kicks, what kind of cost am I looking at?