PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone know anything about Shingles?

Mandy Mouse
08-05-2008, 04:56 PM
So my mom went to the doctor yesterday and they told her she has shingles. (a grown-up version of the chicken pox) The funny thing is she had chicken pox as a kid and I didn't know it was possible to get it twice. The bad part is I have never had chicken pox before although unlike my mom I have had the vaccination for it. Now this is where disney comes in, we have a disneyland trip planned and we leave in two days. I have done the obvious stuff like staying away from her and cleaning everything she has touched but unfortunatly she used my razor a day before she broke out in her rash. Am i doomed?

MMouse6937
08-05-2008, 05:13 PM
The only way that you can get shingles is to have had the chicken pox before. It's the virus that lays dorment in your system and later in life can manifest itself into shingles. I have also never had the chicken pox (actually had no immunity to it and how I didn't get it in almost 35 years is anyone's guess) and I was given the two shot varicella vaccine. If you have had this vaccine, you will not be able to contract shingles from you mother. If you have not had the varicella vaccine, you will need to be careful that your mother does not give you the chicken pox. She has to be quarantined from you for around 7 days. You can also check with your doctor and see if they will run a chicken pox titer on you to see if you are immune then you would know you would be protected. If not, I would throw away your razor and use face protection near your mother for a week. Let me know if you have any questions.

brewcrew26
08-05-2008, 05:56 PM
I have had chicken pox two times severely and two times a little more moderately. My doctors say I have no immunity to the infection so they're afraid to give me the vaccine since it is a live version of the infection.

I have to be really careful around people who are infected (hard since I work in a medical environment at a pediatric hospital). But, luckilly I haven't had an outbreak since high school.

I'd recommend calling your doctor just to get their opinion. Everyone's immune system is different and medications you take can also compromise your immune system. For instance, I take steroids for eczema frequently so I'm more apt to catch things.

mreinventtt
08-05-2008, 07:22 PM
Hi.. My daughter had the chicken pox at 6 months and she got the shingles at the age of 9. I took her to the Dr. thinking it was poison ivy. I Had no idea what it was. But anyway my son was 4 at the time and he never had the chicken pox but did get the vaccine.
And he didnt have any effects of her shingles. He was fine.
Missy

Claudielou
08-05-2008, 07:30 PM
My oldest son had shingles many years ago before he ever had chicken pox. We never treated it like it was contagious. He had to take medication that had steroids in it and just suffered through the misery until it was gone.:ill: The Dr. didn't tell us it was contagious. He had one or two more bouts with it before he grew up.

Mandy Mouse
08-05-2008, 09:33 PM
ok thanks for all the feedback. I feel a little better now and I am so greatful that I had the shot when I was little because that seems to be the only reason I haven't had the chicken pox yet. I am just prayin I will be well because I have been looking forward to this disney trip for a long time!

d_m_n_n
08-06-2008, 12:25 AM
DS10 still in the process of getting over the shingles (still uses steroid drops). He first showed signs on Easter Sunday and got them horribly within two days (half of his face...they were even on the cornea of his eye). DS6 (got the chicken pox vaccine as a toddler) shared a bed with him and had very close contact, but never actually got them. The opthamalogist DS saw said they should be seperated, but we figured the damage would have already been done. Good luck to you and your mom!!!

MNNHFLTX
08-06-2008, 10:22 AM
Shingles comes about due to a previous infection of the chicken pox virus where a person developed only a partial immunity. Therefore the virus lies dormant in the nerves and flares up occasionally, when the immune system is suppressed for whatever reason (stress, another illness, cancer treatment, etc.)

Your mother's shingles is considered contagious to others who do not have immunity to the chicken pox, and the previous poster is right that it would be chicken pox that develops, not shingles itself. Unless you have had direct skin to skin contact with your mom's shingles sores, you probably won't have a problem. The virus does not live very long outside the host either, so it's unlikely that using her razor would be an issue. The virus, in shingles form, is not typically shed through the air so there is no need to wear a mask.

Just to be on the safe side, if you had the chicken pox vaccination before you might still want to get a blood test done that tests the antibody titre (level of immunity). They are finding that most people who had the vaccination in their childhood years need a booster shot at some point. That way you would have peace of mind if your mom has any more outbreaks.