PDA

View Full Version : Seven year olds first time!

xoHelloKittyox
08-05-2008, 04:01 PM
So I've been to disney more times than anyone I know. HOWEVER, I've never been with a child.
I just recently got involved with a man who has a seven year old son. Neither of them have ever been so we decided to go around april for spring break!

I was hoping that the moms out there could help me out with what to do with kids?:confused:

I know all the rides are basically going to be good for him, however what else is there to do in the parks that I, as an adult, over look?

:twocents::thanks:

DDuck66
08-05-2008, 04:09 PM
I am not a Mom, but I know some of the things that are not strictly rides that the kids are usually interested in. For the boys, there is a Jack Sparrow tutorial in the MK. It takes place several times a day. I also think that Disney Quest is pretty good for young boys. Tons of different video games as well as some Virtual Reality rides. Have fun!!! You will get to explore an entirely different side of WDW.

aurorafan
08-05-2008, 04:30 PM
That age is tough because they're between believing in the magic and knowing more than you'd like them too ;). I was *very* surprised at how much my 9 and 7 year old boys loved the characters! Even the Pooh ones--and we'd never been much about Disney before we went for the first time as a family in Oct. last year, so they really weren't familiar with them. My now 10 y.o. still likes them and will still get his pic taken with them, but my soon to be 8 y.o. is still obsessed with them--he wants all their autographs, hugs them really tight, etc. :grouphug: Good character meals for boys are Chef Mickey's, Donald's Safari Breakfast, Liberty Tree Tavern, etc.--basically anything with the Fab 5 :).

Also, different kids have different tolerance levels for the rides/attractions--my 7 y.o. did not want to ride Everest, Space Mountain etc. and didn't want to see It's Tough to be a Bug or Stitch's Great Escape. Ellen's Energy Adventure, while long is a great one especially for boys, with all the dinosaurs and such ;). DHS is great for boys--Star Tours, Jedi Training Academy, Indiana Jones and Lights, Motors Action are right up their alley (if not their mom's ;)). They also got a kick out of the Muppet Adventure and didn't even care that it wasn't up to Philharmagic standards ;).

We haven't been to Tom Sawyer's Island yet, but my DH went there by himself and said they would love it--lots of forts, places to run around etc. :thumbsup:

You might want to get him "Disney for Kids by Kids" by Birnbaum--it's a great resource for them and then he can give you some ideas of what he'd like to do. Also order the free planning DVD--there's a section on there just for kids :).

HTH!

Mousemates
08-05-2008, 04:32 PM
There used to be (and i think there still is) a Pirate Cruise that lasts a couple of hours...It left from either the polynesian or GF and was children only. This might be a good option to give you (and your new fellow) some non-children time to chill out and a break from running the parks...which is what WDW with a seven year old can often become.

xoHelloKittyox
08-05-2008, 04:45 PM
Thanks so much everyone!
We're so excited to go :)

I'm definatly going to pirate training with jack sparrow...i dont know if i'm taking the boys with me though :cool: haha
(got a tiny crush on good ol' jack!)

keep the comments coming please
anything you think of will help me out so much :mickey:

wedway76
08-05-2008, 04:45 PM
Every child is different, but my son is an only child and he wanted no part of doing anything without us (like a kid’s only pirate cruise). He also wouldn’t have any part of anything with the word “tutorial” in it. He pretty much wanted to stay together as a group. If Disney Quest is still open he may love that, my son did at 7.

Lynn J Mc
08-05-2008, 04:55 PM
Just remember to take time for him to just play. My niece loves the Boneyard Dig at Animal Kingdom because she 'can just play'.

krose78
08-05-2008, 04:57 PM
I agree with the disney for kids book, let him look through it and pick some stuff that he would like to try. It will make him feel included and give you an idea of what his likes are.

Mousemates
08-05-2008, 04:58 PM
Just remember to take time for him to just play. My niece loves the Boneyard Dig at Animal Kingdom because she 'can just play'.

:ditto: Its hard to do this sometimes because you want to make sure he "sees everything"....but some time on the playgrounds will be much enjoyed by him...remember at the age of seven his imagination can make the playgrounds as fun and thrilling as the rides themselves.

Ropachs
08-05-2008, 05:02 PM
Along the same lines as what aurorafan said, a boy that age may like things AT Disney that he wouldn't at home. My 6.5yo wouldn't have anything to do with Mickey or Pooh toys and such at home, but actually being in WDW is different, you get caught up in it. He very well may like to get character autographs and love the character meals, etc. Be flexible with the rides, he may love the coasters and other thrill rides or may still be a bit too afraid. There's SO much to do that skipping some things will only leave more time to do other things. Ahhhh...you just can't lose at Disney World!

xoHelloKittyox
08-06-2008, 02:22 AM
Thanks again to everyone.

We all sat down and watched the vacation planning DVD tonight. He's SO excited! He wants to dress up like peter pan :mickey: We figured out a buddy system for when someone doesn't want to go on a ride (of course his father insist that i get on EVERYTHING with him haha)

He thinks that dumbo actually takes you in the air and flys your all around lol it's so cute

we're all so excited :mickey:

keep the ideas coming though if you have them!
I appreciate it all! Thanks so much!

Disney Lynn
08-06-2008, 07:38 AM
Verify that he's familiar with WDW stories & characters; this will make the rides and shows more enjoyable. You've already watched the planning DVD (great!). Also watch (or read) stories that are used at WDW. He's probably already familiar with Pirates of the Caribbean, Stitch, The Haunted Mansion and Toy Story. But don't forget some of the older ones: Snow White, Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Swiss Family Robinson, selected parts re Brer Rabbit & Brer Fox, the Honey I Shrunk the...... movies, etc.

judoma
08-06-2008, 11:18 AM
Based on my own experiencees with my 7 year old son and my 9 year old daughter, I say get the Birnbaum's Kids Guide. My children love it! They get a kick out of planning what they would like to do in Disney. Also, my son is a die hard Star Wars fan. I say, when you go to Star Tours, be sure to catch the Jedi Training Show in MGM. Even the Star Wars store is really neat to a big fan. Of course, every child is different in their likes and dislikes, that's why you should get him the book so he can let you know what he's looking forward to. Regardless, I'm sure he's going to have a wonderful time! It's Disney World afterall! :mickey:

DisneyDog
08-06-2008, 06:38 PM
The Jedi Training Show is REALLY great! Not only are the characters wearing authentic costumes (including Darth Vader himself!) but it's really VERY funny too.

tys_mommy
08-07-2008, 08:54 AM
My oldest DS's favorite things to do is Disney

Pin Trading

mini golf

ride in front of monorail

collect passport stamps at EPCOT

tys_mommy
08-07-2008, 08:59 AM
We all sat down and watched the vacation planning DVD tonight. He's SO excited! He wants to dress up like peter pan :mickey:

If he's into Peter Pan you HAVE TO book the Family Magic Tour at MK (don't do this your first day there but also don't save it for your last). It's a 3 hour walking tour/treasure hunt throughout MK to try to find Captain Hook's hook – my DS2 and DS9 (along with neice-3 and nephew-8) loved this on our trip in April – even parents join in on the fun.

We've never done them but I've read good things also about the pirate cruises for kids - I wouldn't try to book too much stuff outside of the parks for his first visit b/c I'm sure he'll want to ride the rides but just one or 2 things will be something extra special for him.

Even if you are not on the dining plan try to schedule a couple character meals - they provide a great break, good food and awesome character interaction.