PDA

View Full Version : Are views worth the $$$?

Figment78
08-05-2008, 02:04 PM
Our family is planning a big trip to WDW sometime next year or in 2010. There will be 6 adults (me, DH, sis, BIL, Mom and Dad) and one baby (DS). We've always stayed in deluxe accommodations (Poly, WL, etc), and for us they are worth the $$$ vs. the moderates and values. We love the theming, locations, restaurants, pools, etc etc etc.

Usually, we just get a standard view to save some cash. But on our last trip, the only room type available was a Courtyard view at the WL. I'm afraid I'm spoiled now! It was so nice to watch the "lagoon show" (as we call the electric water pageant) from our balcony and to look out over the main pool.

Especially for those of you who have stayed at AKL and BWI - do you find that the "preferred" views are worth it? Especially the Savannah and Boardwalk views - they are pretty unique experiences in WDW I think...

Thanks!

tikiman
08-05-2008, 02:39 PM
I think that is a question each person needs to ask themselves and for us it is worth the money. I know many people that have told me I am crazy to pay for a view but it makes a difference to us on our vacation so in that case it is not crazy for us to pay for a good view.

Like you I find it adds to the experience and I spend much of my time watching the boats on the Seven Seas Lagoon and my kid is use to falling asleep watching the fireworks from bed. Would I have a good stay at a resort without the view? YES. I also would hve a good time going to WDW and not getting fancy dinners or going to shows that cost extra but they all add to the experience.

Tygger7
08-05-2008, 03:13 PM
Same thing happened to us!! Our standard room wasn't ready on time at WL, so they upgraded us to a courtyard view (for free)...and now I'm spoiled!! It was so nice being able to watch the duckies in the pool in the morning. I always opted to "save" and not pay for a view, but I'll be upgrading from now on. :mickey:

jnfr2424
08-05-2008, 03:58 PM
It's worth it - In 2005 my mother turned 80 and wanted a trip to WDW. As a surprise the entire family went (about 35 of us) and we had MK rooms at the Contemporary - We sat on our balcony and watched Wishes which was amazing!
So if you can afford it - DO IT! You will be spoiled!

dnickels
08-05-2008, 06:01 PM
For me a hotel room is really just a place to sleep and shower and that goes for any time I travel. If I'm that close to the fireworks I'd rather be watching them from the park than a hotel room but I also don't have to lug around tired kids at the end of the evening. :cool:

mouseketeer mom
08-05-2008, 06:17 PM
In our experience, yes. We always opt for a MK view at the Poly. We feel like we never leave the magic of the parks. We watch the castle change colors from our patio, we watch the fireworks from our room..same with the Contemporary..very much worth it. Having that MK view really added to our trip. I felt like I could reach out and touch the MK...not to mention watching fireworks from our BED! I also liked the water view from the BC..the pool was steps from our door. Strangely tho, we did have a Savannah view deluxe room at the AKL. I did not think it was worth it for us. The animals were viewed much better from the many windows around the resort. We saw lots of dry grass and service trucks from our room..along with an OCCAISIONAL giraffe or mooing type of animal. If I stayed AKL again I would opt for a pool view room. There are soooo many places to see the animals.

dephenn
08-05-2008, 06:19 PM
I always try and save some extra money, but then I've never been spoiled by views. Now we have our DVC and I try and save my points. The only exception I can justify would be at the Animal Kingdom.

RaRaRoundTheWorld
08-05-2008, 06:53 PM
I prefer having a nice view, if possible. On one of our WDW trips, we had a perfect view of the castle from our balcony. We slept with the curtains open and fell asleep to the castle changing colors.

Having a view was ideal for our family. We have preschoolers. During the day, we spent several hours in the room while they napped. By the end of the night, it was easier for them to roam around the room in their jammies, while we took in Wishes and the Water Pageant without worry.

TammiMcMan
08-05-2008, 06:54 PM
I think it really depends on the resort. Personally, I think the AKL is so unique, that I'd have to book a savannah view. I'd go with a garden view at the Poly and GF to save some money, because they are true garden views and so relaxing. At the BC and YC, I would have to upgrade to a garden or water view. A majority of their standards overlook the parking lot, yuck. So yeah, it would be on a resort by resort basis.

kemps@wdw
08-05-2008, 08:45 PM
We usually prefer a "room w/a view" as we tend to use our balconies alot. We had a courtyard view @ the WL as well, overlooking the pool, Trout Pass bar and Bay Lake and very much enjoyed relaxing on the balcony, watching our kids in the pool, our DHs @ the bar, and all the activity on Bay Lake during the day and night. We were lucky in that we were upgraded to a courtyard view and also received a discount as a Disney Visa holder. I can't see us staying in any other section of the resort.:D

Mousemates
08-05-2008, 09:26 PM
At the AKL the view (savannah vs.pool or standard) is definitely worth it.