PDA

View Full Version : 18 Aug 2 weeks - Queues - Heat

Martino
08-05-2008, 08:39 AM
Hi there

Well its only 13 days before our 2 week vacation starts.:joy:

We're all planned out and Dining reservations made, and I know its going to be :sun:, but how will queues be for rides? Anyone been this time before? Free dining :eat:will probably bump numbers up, I guess?

Just wondering what to expect, as I've never been at this time before.:thumbsup:

DisneyWhirled
08-05-2008, 09:14 AM
I have been to WDW 3x's in August. You are spot on about the heat.

DH and I noticed a difference in attendance over the free dining period. Summer is busy anyway at WDW, and the free dining brings more people in.

I think it is still manageable, though. You just have to plan accordingly. Take advantage of FP and make sure to have all your ADR's for meals (if you are planning on TS) because it is virtually impossible to get in to sit "on the spot". I have seen many people turned away. The queues will be a little longer, but if you take advantage of EMH, it shouldn't be too bad.

The heat will likely slow you down, so don't plan on trying to cram everything in. You have a nice long vacation, so you will be able to see a lot over the weeks, just don't cram too much into a day.

Have a magnificent time!!!! Make sure to have a treat at the MK Bakery for me!!!

Sunshine1010
08-05-2008, 09:54 AM
We always seem to get 'hotter' at MK. I am assuming because a lot of the lines are outside. Epcot's lines are inside a lot. Also, we seem to get hotter at AK (same reason - 'most' lines seem to be outside).

One thing that helps us is simple: a washcloth. We just put it around our necks when the heat is oppressively hot. That seems to help so much. Plus, we'll wear sandals. When we are hot, we can take our sandals off --- socks seem to make us hotter. Just make sure the sandals are comfortable.

As long as you are prepared, you'll have a great time.

Goes4FastPass
08-05-2008, 11:07 AM
If you can arrange your schedule to accomodate evening EMH Ifind all WDW parks much more fun in the cool evening than the

HOT
mid-day to afternoon.

sdewan
08-05-2008, 12:56 PM
We'll be there from the 15th - 23rd. We're expecting it to be hot, crowded and rainy. But we're used to going under those conditions, so it will still be great.

About the crowds: in past years, the 2nd half of August saw a dramatic dropoff in the crowd levels, probably due to kids returning to school (I think FL schools start at this time). Up until a few weeks ago, the park hours reflected this: the hours before the 15th were considerably longer than those after the 15th. But then WDW updated their hours, extending park hours after the 15th to the same as before. (like MK EMH from 12-3AM???) Usually Disney management only extends park hours when they are forecasting large crowds, so I take that as a bad sign.

About the weather: I recently read that Animal Kingdom is the hottest park, because of all the vegetation and narrow walking paths, there is more humidity and less air circulation. I remember sitting for a 4:00 parade once in the shade and had to take a shower as soon as it was over, so I guess I concur with that.