PDA

View Full Version : Have rheumatoid arthritis and thinking about a career change

PlutoLVT
08-04-2008, 08:38 PM
I don't ever post topics and rarely reply but I have to ask someone.

My original career plan was to be a veterinarian. I applied three times but couldn't get past the interview. Basically they said my grades and test scores were good enough but they didn't like me, as a person, enough to have me as a student. I got over that and went to vet tech school.

Shortly after getting my vet tech license I was diagnosed with RA. I had been suffering for at least 10-15 years but didn't know why. (The veterinarians I work with diagnosed me and sent me to a rheumatologist.) My RA is under control now and I'm feeling better but my job is hard on me. I don't know how much longer I can wrestle 100+ lb dogs.

Besides a vet tech wages is not enough to live on. (The doctor I work for says vet techs aren't supposed to be able to support themselves.) I still have to live with my parents at 33 yrs old. Since I've never had a boyfriend, or even a date, I know I'm on my own. Right now I'm concentrating on saving every dollar, except one week a year in WDW, so I will have something to live on when my parents are gone.

I can't think of any job I could switch to with a useless BS in zoology, a vet tech degree, and a chronic disease like RA. The place I work at now probably wouldn't have hired me if I knew I had RA at the time. My dad thinks I should apply to vet school again. He doens't realize they didn't like me before and now I have RA.

Sorry this is so long. I don't really expect anyone to read this or even answer. I just needed to write it and try to figure out my life.

RaRaRoundTheWorld
08-04-2008, 09:36 PM
I'm sorry to hear about your diagnosis and I appreciate your candor.

Maybe you should go back and think about why the vet schools "didn't like" you? Perhaps it was the way you presented yourself? Were you not adequately prepared for the interviews and didn't properly answer questions? These are things you could change, and might be helpful with regard to life in general?

Have you looked into support groups for people with your condition? You may find others in your situation who could help you with your desire to change careers.

offwego
08-04-2008, 09:42 PM
FIrst of all I'm glad you've gotten a good diagnosis and have your condition under control.

I'm not by any stretch of the imagination familiar with your chosen career but why would they say it's not meant to support you? That seems odd. Have you checked job search sites to compare pay scales?

Aside (clearly!) from your interest in animals & Disney what other areas of interest do you have? Are you a people person? Like numbers? Like to explain things? Public speaking?

Gosh that's a lot of questions isn't it? At any rate if you think of anything to help us toss some ideas your way let us know. And I hope that you find something soon.

tinkerbellybutton
08-04-2008, 11:12 PM
I'm so glad that you took the time to share this with us. Even if just to get support and :hug: I know how hard it can be, living with chronic illness (even when symptoms are under control) and if you have nobody in your circle of friends or family who deals with similar issues it can feel like you're alone. Let me be one of the first to tell you that you are not, alone that is... Natalie brought up a wonderful point about your interests, that can go a long way in choosing a new career. It's hard enough living with challenges, rising gas prices, housing price increases, etc. without having to do a job you hate. You obviously have a love for animals, do you like to take pictures? I know that a lot of the big pet supply stores have photgrophers just for pets. We have a few feed and farm supply stores around here, they deal with small animals that they sell and also help people who own livestock or large animals. Maybe something at a pet grooming place, doggy day care or a kennel where they care for pets while people are on vacation. You might also look into offering a service where you house-sit/ pet sit in peoples homes while they go on vacations. I'm sure it probably didn't help much but maybe it will trigger something that you think up that you'll love. :pixie: in your pursuit for the perfect choice and :hug: just for being you. I wish you the best of luck and keep us updated, let us know how you're doing and what you decide.

MauiMouse
08-05-2008, 09:08 PM
Annette, so sorry that you are having to deal with all of this. Your a great person.

Do you remember our little "INTERCOT meet" at Rainforest Cafe? How long ago was that? We were the only ones who showed up. Hang in there I hope that it gets easier for you. :hug:

mrsgaribaldi
08-08-2008, 08:17 AM
Hi Annette, I sent you a PM:mickey: