PDA

View Full Version : Need to vent

Pop Centurion
08-04-2008, 06:35 PM
I recently ordered a used DVD of Snow White from an Amazon.com merchant. Their description stated it was in excellent condition and everything was included. (both disks and insert booklet) After a long wait I finally received the movie which took the seller 8 days just to mail then the additional transit time from the post office. That alone wouldn't normally bother me but upon opening the box I found that only one disc was included. The bonus disk and insert were not. :mad:
The seller had excellent feedback at the time of purchase but upon contacting him/her to resolve the issue I noticed a recent negative comment which stated the buyer received a Disney Movie that was not authentic. (But they received a full refund) So I immediately looked over my disc and it appears to be legit but I'm no expert.
I'm waiting for the seller to return my message to resolve the issue. Hopefully it all works out. It's stuff like this that makes me avoid ebay but I see Amazon merchants can be just as bad.

Just needed to vent. [exhales]

crazypoohbear
08-04-2008, 08:11 PM
That stinks. I hope things work out for you

buzznwoodysmom
08-05-2008, 12:08 AM
Sorry you are dealing with this. I once purchased a peter pan DVD off ebay. It was supposed to be brand new, none smoking home, blah, blah, blah. The package smelled like it had been sitting in a bar and the disc was obviously copied. The quality was aweful. Lesson learned, never buy DVDs off ebay. It's so hard to resist though, when you have a child who really wants a movie that you can't find in stores. I wish disney would just have all movies available to order somewhere on line or something. I hate having to wait for a movie my children or I want to be released from the vault. I hope you get everything worked out.

meldan98
08-05-2008, 12:36 PM
In 2005 our home was broken into and my daughter's collection of Disney DVD's were stolen. We were devistated and we had to try to explain to our almost 3 year old daughter that she couldn't watch Snow White or Nemo anymore.

When DVD's first started coming out, we purchased all of the Disney DVD's that came out so many of the movies that we had were in the vault and impossible to replace. So, my DH hit eBay and began purchasing some of her favorites that we couldn't buy in the store. He only purchased from highly rated vendors. Every single movie we purchased was copied and all of them were from over seas even though the vendor was supposedly located in the US. Several of the movies wouldn't play, some weren't in English at all and the rest were horrible copies. When my husband went to leave a negative review and contact the seller for a refund, there were a ton of new negative reviews. We will NEVER buy DVD's on eBay again. Within a week the vendor was shut down.

Now, with all the Blue Ray's coming out, we have hope that they will start coming out of the vault sooner.

Pop Centurion
08-05-2008, 01:39 PM
Well the seller got back to me and apologized and said he would mail the missing disc ASAP but does not have the booklet. Hopefully I actually get it and am not just getting the run around. Honestly I don't know if I should just ask for a refund since the item isn't 100% as described. I wish I knew someone with a copy so I could compare mine to theirs for authenticity. As I said above, it looks legit but when I tried to play it my DVD player took a while to read the disk. I looked at the markings on the underside of the disc where the hole is and they look similar to those on other Disney DVD's I've bought in stores so it's honestly hard to tell. When it did play the picture quality looks fine. But I'm still leery. But $18 for a classic that's no longer available is hard to pass up. I guess once I can determine for sure that the disc is legit and receive the other one I'll just keep them and have to deal with not having the insert booklet.

Thanks everyone.

Pop Centurion
08-05-2008, 01:44 PM
In 2005 our home was broken into and my daughter's collection of Disney DVD's were stolen. We were devistated and we had to try to explain to our almost 3 year old daughter that she couldn't watch Snow White or Nemo anymore.You know, it's bad enough that someone broke into your home but to steal children's items is beyond despicable. Bad karma is justly deserved to whomever does such a thing.

meldan98
08-05-2008, 02:54 PM
Tell me about it...at 3 they just don't understand. I really hope karma comes back to bite them...same thing goes for the person who stole the wheels off my car a month later while it was sitting in my very steep, sloped driveway. Luckily we moved a few months ago.

As far as telling if it is copied, one of the minor things we found on one of the copied DVD's was the pixelization of some of the quick movement sequences. For example, in Beauty and the Beast, during the wolf/dog attack sequence, you could see the pixels (or boxes) when Beast was fighting off the dogs. Also, look on the face of the DVD and see if there is 9 in circle, at least I think it was a 9. This indicates that the movie came from over seas and was designed for a foreign dvd player and not a US version.

FriendsofMickey
08-05-2008, 04:46 PM
Shorty: I hope it works out for you. I have thought and thought about buying the DVD off of eBay or Amazon, but have always just figured I would try to wait it out.
One of the websites I check regularly has Snow White slated to be released next year. I am really hoping they are right.
They also have Pinnochio coming out next year! :mickey:

meldan98: How horrible. I cannot imagine explaining that to my girls!

LauraleeH
08-05-2008, 04:50 PM
Does the Snow White 2 disc Platinum Edition have a thick case? Like the double size case?

Pop Centurion
08-06-2008, 09:28 PM
Does the Snow White 2 disc Platinum Edition have a thick case? Like the double size case?No, mine is just like it should be. Standard sized case but with the extra flap (or whatever it's called) for the second disc.

PirateLover
08-06-2008, 10:41 PM
Does the Snow White 2 disc Platinum Edition have a thick case? Like the double size case?

No, mine is just like it should be. Standard sized case but with the extra flap (or whatever it's called) for the second disc.

Which is the correct packaging? I bought a Snow White off of Amazon once, and it has the extra thick packaging. The artwork didn't seem quite up to par with other releases so I've always wondered if it was official... I've mentioned before that I was duped into buying a bootleg B&B from Amazon as well.
I really despise the vault.