PDA

View Full Version : How to keep feet/legs comfortabe?

Giselle
08-04-2008, 04:48 PM
We're going to DW in 29 days!!! I'm so excited about all the fun we'll have but I know at the end of each day my feet and legs will be killing me! Any suggestions for shoes or any tricks to keep the pain to a minimum?

MississippiDisneyFreak
08-04-2008, 04:52 PM
I have a bulging disc and really flat feet that hurt really bad after being on them a long time, last trip my foot and leg pain was so bad I cried at night and was constantly popping ibuprofen...this trip I am planning ahead, I will invest in Spira shoes (very expensive but available at online outlet), I will start walking daily to build up endurance and I have muscle relaxers I will take at night to relieve some of the pain.....be sure to take blister tape, very comfortable well broken in walking shoes (two pairs) socks and perhaps a gel insert.....

brownie
08-04-2008, 04:55 PM
Something with good ankle support, and start breaking them in now. You don't want to wear a brand new pair of shoes at Disney World. I always like to have 2 pairs with me, so I alternate each day (or switch them if a pair gets soaked on a ride.)

Kisobel
08-04-2008, 05:14 PM
start walking months before you go to disney. also every night at the hotel, soak your legs for 10-15min in hot water then massage them with peppermint lotion. very soothing and tingling.

kate

Imagineer1981
08-04-2008, 05:31 PM
Above are very good suggestions as far as break them in about 2 weeks before. I work in the shoe business and would suggest brooks running shoes or Asics running shoes. Either offer fantastic cushion and support. Do not buy crocs or Nike, they will kill your feet. If you have New Balance store, they are also very good as they have fit technicians who can fit your foot perfectly

allentownguy
08-04-2008, 06:20 PM
my only advise is do not get a new pair of shows and plan to break them in while you are at the parks:mickey:

as a side note me and my girl leave in 29 days also:thumbsup:

all star music 9/2 - 9/7

DestinationWDW
08-04-2008, 06:44 PM
Above are very good suggestions as far as break them in about 2 weeks before. I work in the shoe business and would suggest brooks running shoes or Asics running shoes. Either offer fantastic cushion and support. Do not buy crocs or Nike, they will kill your feet. If you have New Balance store, they are also very good as they have fit technicians who can fit your foot perfectly

I agree with Imagineer1981,

My wife and I always try to build up our tolarence before a trip. We have a state park with a section that has 425 steps to get to the top of a water fall. I hate the thing, but you really get in great shape climbing those stairs. My advise is to start walking at a fast pace, you must do this for at least 30 minutes. Just make sure you are physically able to do this.

SAHDad
08-04-2008, 06:57 PM

Nothing wrong with Brooks or Aisics (or Nike, for that matter), but running shoes are generally really poor for walking around. I'd look for a good pair of cross-trainers, and you should definitely consider going by a running store and getting fitted properly.

Each evening, you could (if you really wanted to) treat your legs as a distance runner would - with an ice bath. It's a little extreme, but it does wonders for preventing inflammation and pain.

disneymom2000
08-04-2008, 06:58 PM
Oh my - everyone on the boards have always raved about how comfortable their Crocs are to wear at Disney. I bought a pair, now I am having second thoughts. I have been wearing them to get used to them and really like them. Are they not good for walking in all day?:unsure:

dnickels
08-04-2008, 07:15 PM
Like the others have said, start walking (or jogging or running) soon. Not only will you 'get used to' the extra miles, but you'll lose weight (which means less weight on your feet which makes the walking easier which means you can walk more which helps you lose more weight.........). Sort of a good version of a vicious cycle. :thumbsup:

And saying it's too hot to walk is not an excuse if you'll be in Disney in late August/early September!

ibrowse17
08-04-2008, 08:08 PM
Regardless of your shoe selection, I find that a dip in my resort's hot tub each evening does wonders as well. Also, I was jogging each day this summer and could really tell how much better my legs and feet held up on our last trip:thumbsup:

AuntDJ
08-04-2008, 09:23 PM
Hi- I love my crocs...I have two pair of Disney Crocs, flip flop crocs and a couple of others.

I have severe foot issues. I think only you can know what works for you...I tried new balance and they were good, but my crocs felt just as good and my feet didn't sweat.

I agree that a dip in the hot tub is very helpful.
and ibuprofin...I took the max everyday.

Take breaks, just sit on the bench and rest for a few minutes, made a world of difference for me.

Good luck!
DJ

DisneyLuver91
08-04-2008, 10:16 PM
This may not help aching feet, but you WILL get blisters by the end of day one.

I suggest Band-Aid Blister Stick. It looks like a super tiny deodorant that you rub all over your feet where shoes rub. It is a little pricy, but it is honestly worth every penny!

disneygeek84
08-04-2008, 10:46 PM
Oh my - everyone on the boards have always raved about how comfortable their Crocs are to wear at Disney. I bought a pair, now I am having second thoughts. I have been wearing them to get used to them and really like them. Are they not good for walking in all day?:unsure:

My mother has always had trouble with her feet hurting when she wears any kind of shoe. She started wearing Birkenstock sandles about 15 years ago and could hardly wear anything else. Until she bought a pair of Crocs. She just bought them because they were on a really good sale so she couldn't pass them up. She wore them all over Charleston, SC and all of Colorado this summer and her feet never hurt.

I think it depends on the person. If they don't hurt your feet wearing them all day trying to get used to them, then don't worry about it.

CaptSmee
08-04-2008, 10:50 PM
I never seem to have foot problems, but I work at Home Depot and am pounding the concrete floors for 10+ hrs a day so walking around WDW is almost a vacation for my feet!

As other people have stated, DO NOT wear new shoes!!! Wear something already broken in. I was surprisingly comfortable in my flip flops last trip.

I take the Ferry
08-04-2008, 11:11 PM

Just make sure you have another option.

I love my Crocs. I wear them all the time, even to work when I think I can pull it off.

The first time I wore them to Disney, however, I got some very bad blisters from them. Never had that problem before. Will never have that problem again, as I won't be wearing them to Disney anymore.

I see people wearing them all the time at Disney, so I know a lot of people swear by them. Just make sure you have something else in the luggage in case the Croc's don't work out.

K, Slater!
I take the Ferry!

LizLovesDiz
08-04-2008, 11:52 PM
I find that when i wear my crocs,I don't have any problems at all !!! Some people say that they rub and get sores,but I never do.I am about 50 lbs over weight ,and by the end of the day I don't have any pain in my legs and feet like I always do! Maybe cause I have the Mickey ones! :cloud9: :mickey:

dizknee531
08-05-2008, 01:45 AM
Bring an extra pair of socks.. While we are in the parks, you can use foot spray( with mint), very refreshing.. Sit and take a break. You'lll be ok.:thumbsup:

Vito
08-05-2008, 07:43 AM
1) Shoe inserts. I don't like the gel ones as much (they just don't seem to "conform" around my feet right), but the somewhat thin, "cheapo" foam ones that are just a flat insert seem to help out a bit. They're cheap, and therefore don't last very long, so I'd buy 3 pairs or so and replace them every few days as they lose most of their effectiveness quickly. I've also found that the heel-only inserts help me a lot.

2) Take breaks during the day to sit down, remove your shoes, and give yourself a foot massage. Rub your feet and ankes. It can work surprisingly well at loosening up tight tendons and ligaments in your feet.

3) Pace yourself at the beginning of your trip. Don't try to attack the parks right off the bat. Take your time, visit your highest priority attractions, but don't over-work and over-walk yourself on the first half of your trip. When you get to the second half, you'll have a good idea of how your feet and legs are holding up. It's usually towards the end of the vacation that you really start losing gas.

4) Get plenty of sleep. While it doesn't necessarily have an effect on keeping the soreness out of your legs and feet, getting enough sleep can help "drive" you through the day. Even if it means going to the parks an hour later in the morning, the benefit will be MUCH greater enjoyment of your entire day if you're well rested for it. And in turn, that helps your feet and legs.

5) Sit on the floor whenever/wherever it's allowed or when benches are full. Some pre-show areas are a good time to sit down, especially if there aren't a lot of people. It might look and feel silly to sit on the floor, but when the alternative is standing on your feet for another 10 minutes, it can make a difference!

Belle619
08-05-2008, 08:34 AM
1) Shoe inserts.

:ditto: I think shoe inserts are the way to go, even with really good running shoes.

I was training for a half marathon early this year and while my shoes felt great when I was only using them for a few miles at a time, once I started to wear them for longer periods, I really needed the inserts. It was amazing the difference that they made. Now when we go to Disney, I always make sure to have them with me.

Also, I bring a change of shoes if I'm going to be at the park all day. I bring a pair of sneakers, an extra pair of socks, but also a good pair of sandals to change into for a portion of the day to relieve sore spots that my sneakers may have caused.

mattandmandy
08-05-2008, 11:47 AM

Last couple of trips I think I wore my crocs everyday. I love them and they were definately a lot better than when I wore other kinds of shoes on previous trips. :thumbsup:

aurorafan
08-05-2008, 04:11 PM
Bring 2 (or even 3) comfortable pairs of shoes and switch out at least once each day--it will really make a difference! On our first trip in Oct. I wore my tennis shoes every day all day and just about couldn't make it by the end of the trip ;). When I went back in Feb. with my friend we each changed out shoes at least once each day and neither of us had any problems. In June I brought sneakers and sandals for both my kids and they switched each day and complained a LOT less than they had in Oct. ;).

I have a pair of crocs sandals that I just LOVE (can't remember the name of them though), and a pair of the Minnie Janes that I also love. While they're both really comfortable, I've found that even switching between the two of them makes a difference :).

Mousemates
08-05-2008, 04:24 PM
I fall into the good shoes category. (I have a pair of Teva water shoes that work out tremendously for me at WDW). While my wife has a pair of Salomon below the ankle cross country shoes that work great for her). However, for her i think it was more an insert thing...however not the soft cushiony type of insert, but a firm insert that was designed to spread the weight of her body across the entire heel instead of just one small portion of it...they were kind of pricy for inserts, but she never complains about sore feet disney any more.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
08-05-2008, 06:12 PM
I bring my Crocs, Tevas and sneakers and never wear the same shoe 2 days in a row. I also have foam rubber that I put in the heel of both to give extra cushioning. That was on the advise of my orthopedist (sp?). And as someone else stated, get running shoes as they offer more support. I believe the above poster works in shoes and I've been told this by multiple shoe sales people.
I also soak my legs (and the rest of me) in a hot tub at the end of the night and then hop in the pool to cool off. It really made a difference the next morning. And i got this cheap thing at Bath & Body or one of those (about $10) that looks like an abacus type device. It is a foot roller. Bring that and run your feet over it a few times before bed and when you get up in the morning. Also a baggie to fill with ice and put that on the instep of your foot. That helped me too.
And I too start training for Disney at least a couple of months in advance by doing lots of walking, preferably at a fast pace.

GhostHost999
08-05-2008, 11:27 PM
for while you are at the park, strategically take in attractions where you sit down to keep you from putting constant pressure on your feet. A nice breezy ride on the TTA is always good for this. Carousel of Progress...Hall of Presidents...etc. are all viable candidates.

Hope you have a great time.
:mickey:

jonahbear2006
08-06-2008, 12:37 AM
I always train for disney. I know it sounds silly but it makes a big difference, I jog and lift weights and my feet and legs begin to be much more resilient than before. Though, I ended up with althetes feet there. I think that you need to go with new shoes. If your tennis shoes are old or sweaty they should be replaced before you go.

dixielandings
08-06-2008, 01:09 AM
Stretch in the morning and throughout the day as you're waiting in lines, etc. Rotate your ankles ocassionally. Sit a lot! And I swear by my Crocs. Whatever you do, do not wear Keds or regular flip-flops. All the stretching in the world cannot make up for poor quality shoes.

SAHDad
08-06-2008, 10:17 AM
I bring my Crocs, Tevas and sneakers and never wear the same shoe 2 days in a row. I also have foam rubber that I put in the heel of both to give extra cushioning. That was on the advise of my orthopedist (sp?). And as someone else stated, get running shoes as they offer more support. I believe the above poster works in shoes and I've been told this by multiple shoe sales people.

Just be very careful, if you get running shoes. If you are not careful, you can get something which will leave you in a lot of pain.

Quick primer on running shoes *:

Running shoes come in 4 basic categories: stability, motion-control, neutral and performance. You can walk around in stability or motion-control without too much of a problem** (though I still recommend cross-trainers instead of running shoes), but if you wind up with neutral or performance, you'll likely regret it. My current running shoes are neutral, and while I love running in them, and can handle marathon distances in them, I wouldn't wear them for a day in the parks, simply because the cushioning isn't there. And a performance shoe would be worse - they are comfortable, lightweight and and almost like wearing a glove - without any real padding.

And definitely tell the salesperson why you need the shoes - they'll help you avoid certain ones, and steer you toward others. Be mindful that more expensive doesn't always mean better, of course.

* Disclaimer - I don't work in shoes, but I go through 6-10 pairs of running shoes a year, so I've learned to pay attention to this.

** My wife has worn her running shoes in the parks, but hers are stability or motion-control, depending on the pair, and very different from mine.

All the advice on training beforehand is good. For post-park recovery, you find what works for you - I see stuff here that would leave me very sore the next day, but I know what works for me. If you get out and try some of the ideas beforehand, you can figure out what works best for you.