PDA

View Full Version : Soarin' or Borin'

Imagineer1981
08-04-2008, 01:58 PM
Please don't beat me up too bad for this, but I think I am among the minority here that would consider Soarin' to be an average ride at best and could easily go to Epcot and skip it. I was just curious to see if I have any Borin' supporters or if you love Soarin', whats the appeal? I thought it was cool once, but I don't think its this amazingly-awesome-can't-miss ride, but hey, maybe it's me

Goes4FastPass
08-04-2008, 02:12 PM
I like it but I do NOT consider the movie to be the be all - end all.

They should put a new version of the movie into production long before the attraction "needs" it to maintain interest.

Such possibilities, not just the obvious Soarin' over Florida but

Soarin' over America...

Soarin' over Europe (introduce at DLParis then add to the other parks)

Soarin over Japan (Initoduce at DLJapan etc.)

SpecJoe Magic
08-04-2008, 02:13 PM
I don't completely agree with you, but I understand your perspective. I can't vote for either option because my feelings about it are mixed. I try to ride it on every WDW visit, but it's something that I'm willing to skip if the wait time is long. I don't consider it boring, but I think it's overrated. Overall, I view it as a fun, high quality attraction that is among the best at Epcot but not among the best at WDW.

homeschool mom
08-04-2008, 02:14 PM
As a family, (Mom, Dad and 5 children) we think it is amazing! Unfortunately, that's where we found out 8 year old DS is afraid of heights. He'll either be closing his eyes on our upcoming trip, or we will be taking turns riding without him. I can't wait to go on Soarin' again.

40 days and counting! :mickey:

indytraveler
08-04-2008, 02:30 PM
I voted for Soarin' because it's a different attraction. Just love the scenes come alive as you glide over California. I do wish they would do another like Goes4FastPass says. Over Florida would be cool, or even by geographic region, midwest, southeast, etc. That way they could show that all roads do lead to WDW.

dteed
08-04-2008, 02:44 PM
I love it, however, I would not wait more than 30min for it.

tinkerbellybutton
08-04-2008, 02:53 PM
I love it but some of my attachment is emotional. DS was petrified of rides (he has Sensory issues and Asperger's) and we got him on it. After they buckled us in he said he wanted to get off. I told him they couldn't let him off. :blush: I know, bad, but I had been on it and knew he would love it. Once it started he grabbed my hand and let out a huge sigh followed by "Mom, I love it!" Just the thought of it still gives me goosebumps. :D

BMan62
08-04-2008, 02:54 PM

:exactly: :ditto:

Imagineer1981
08-04-2008, 02:56 PM
I knew this post would cause some heated debate...

I like the ride, its just once was enough for me, and I am not a thrill seeker either, so don't tell me to go to Islands of Adventure or something if I only want thrill rides...its just Soarin' is too overhyped for what it is.

To me, its just an over glorified simulator, no different than star tours, except your feet dangle and there's the whole "smell the oranges" thing that is overdone (the concept is already used in on several attractions on property like Philharmagic and Tough to Be Bug, and JIYI)

Septbride2002
08-04-2008, 02:57 PM
I thought Soarin was okay - if it has a huge line (which it always does) I skip it.

~Amanda

Ian
08-04-2008, 03:03 PM
I don't completely agree with you, but I understand your perspective. I can't vote for either option because my feelings about it are mixed. I try to ride it on every WDW visit, but it's something that I'm willing to skip if the wait time is long. I don't consider it boring, but I think it's overrated. Overall, I view it as a fun, high quality attraction that is among the best at Epcot but not among the best at WDW.:ditto:

I totally agree. I like it, but I do marvel at the wait times. I would never DREAM of waiting in line more than like 20 minutes for it.

Mackflava99
08-04-2008, 03:17 PM
I am shocked but understand that everyone has and is entitled to their own opinion-

I have been on a number of times- i like to look deep in the pictures and see whats going on while the film captures the scenery. Skiiers falling, people doing things, parts of the scenery that i never noticed.
There is definitely something i see each time that i never saw before.
But Boring it is not- in my opinion.
my only issue is when i have feet dangling in my view-

hubbyofadisneyholic
08-04-2008, 03:32 PM
Let's see, our reaction to riding Soarin' was...

a.)Snore
b.)Yawn
c.) Boring
d.) That's it?

e.) ALL OF THE ABOVE!!!!!!!!!

And we are not "everything has to be a thrill ride" types.
Just don't see what all the fuss is about.

Imagineer1981
08-04-2008, 03:40 PM
Let's see, our reaction to riding Soarin' was...

a.)Snore
b.)Yawn
c.) Boring
d.) That's it?

e.) ALL OF THE ABOVE!!!!!!!!!

And we are not "everything has to be a thrill ride" types.
Just don't see what all the fuss is about.

That's exactly my thoughts as well...there was soooo much hype on the boards that when I finally rode it...I was like "whats were they thinking"

MickeyMousse
08-04-2008, 03:47 PM
We love it because it's a different kind of attraction.....I find it relaxing, really!

LauraF
08-04-2008, 03:53 PM
Personally, I don't "get" the appeal of this ride, but I like that everyone has different rides they prefer. If people are on Soarin', then they aren't riding what I want to. :)

It a fun diversion while I'm over there, but there is NO WAY I'll wait more than 15 minutes for it. If my time was short and I had to pick and choose among attractions at Epcot, Soarin' wouldn't even make the first cut.

But to the Soarin' fans out there, you go, have fun. I'll be on Living with the Land, enjoying the gardens. :mickey:

MMouse6937
08-04-2008, 03:57 PM
We absolutely LOVE Soarin, and to be honest with you I didn't really think I would. I do not like having to wait so long for such a short ride, but I find it very exhilerating. The smell of the orange grove does it for me every time. Funny story: When we were in DL apparently the smeller was only working in the pine scent so everything we went over smelled like pine. I was pretty disappointed, I wish they would have just turned it off instead of ruining my orange grove with christmas pine scent!!

MNNHFLTX
08-04-2008, 04:12 PM
I love Soarin'--it's still magical to me! That said, I probably wouldn't wait longer than 30 minutes for it, but having been to WDW so many times, I wouldn't wait 30 minutes for any ride, I don't think (well, maybe Expedition Everest).

An extra thought--a couple of people mentioned updating the film with something more pertinent, like "Soarin' Over Florida". Having lived in Florida for many years (before moving to Texas), I can't imagine that would make for a very interesting film. Part of the attraction of California in that footage is the variety in the geographical areas of the state (with mountains, ocean, desert, not to mention some very well-known icons, such as the Golden Gate bridge, Big Sur and the upper and lower falls at Yosemite). There's just not that much variety in Florida, I'm afraid. Maybe if they did it on the whole southeast region of the U.S. it would be more interesting.

Missy_Mouses_Dad
08-04-2008, 04:31 PM
Love the ride. Very relaxing. Leave this Friday to celebrate 3 b-days!:mickey:

caryrae
08-04-2008, 04:39 PM
It's not that it's boring, it's just not a must do attraction. If the line is short I will ride, if not I really don't mind missing it. I would rather skip it if wait time is to long and go on other attractions then waste time waiting in line for it. I have been on other rides like this that the seats move and the screen is huge. The only difference is you dangle and can get a wiff of oranges not really a big deal. Not a new concept for a ride other then the dangling part maybe. I think they could have had a better attraction.

brownie
08-04-2008, 04:41 PM
We've only ridden it at California Adventure, but loved it. I'm glad they added it to Epcot (although I miss Food Rocks.)

Sunshine1010
08-04-2008, 05:15 PM
My family and I love Soarin'......but....

- the quality of the picture lately reminds me of watching the 'bird and the bees' film back in 5th grade. (either it's that, or the screen itself)

- another downside, the feet dangling. Takes something away from it.

But overall....we absolutely love it.

spiderkd
08-04-2008, 05:35 PM
I've only ever gone on Soarin' with a fast pass and probably would not queue for it otherwise. I can see where the magic runs low for others...

That said, I do love it and not necessarily for the onscreen element. It's a combination of the smells, the sounds (love the ride music) and being lifted high into the air with my feet dangling :swing:.

However, as many others have said, it seems a shame to focus only on California (at least away from that park) when there is so much they could feature - or maybe it's a case of too much?!

Imagineer1981
08-04-2008, 05:45 PM
However, as many others have said, it seems a shame to focus only on California (at least away from that park) when there is so much they could feature - or maybe it's a case of too much?!

I agree that the video should be different, makes more of an incentive to go to DL to see California if WDW's is different. I think because they rushed to get the ride to WDW in time for the celebration that they didn't have time to make a new video

PiratesCove
08-04-2008, 06:19 PM
I love soarin', but it's in part because I have a large number of family members who live in California and I LOVE California ( Minus smog, overcrowding, freeway drivers...wait, I'm taking everyone out of California lol)!!! ;)

GrmGrninGost
08-04-2008, 08:53 PM
Soarin' is one of my top three rides at WDW! It makes me actually feel like I'm flying! I can't get enough! :mickey:

pogo
08-04-2008, 09:11 PM
Love it.... love it...... love it ! :D

Melanie
08-04-2008, 09:29 PM
Absolutely love it and still my favorite ride hands down on both coasts. I love soarin' over California. Florida, not so much. :shake:

Marker
08-04-2008, 09:35 PM
Ever notice how these poll questions always want you to choose between one extreme and the other? There's rarely any middle ground.

Anyway... :thumbsup: to Soarin.

Tigerinvestigator
08-04-2008, 09:35 PM
Soarin is one of my favorite attractions because: 1)It is relaxing 2) Great soundtrack 3)Everyone in the family can enjoy it!

mickeys_princess_mom
08-04-2008, 09:37 PM
LOVE it!!!! We don't wait long in line for anything. But we head over to this one first, or grab a fastpass.:wave:

jenny1976
08-04-2008, 09:54 PM
I love it! But then again my perpective is very emotional. I have a disability and it makes me feel like I can fly!!!!!!!!!:blush:

Jeff G
08-04-2008, 09:58 PM
I think Soarin' is a very good ride and we never miss it but I agree with many of the above posts, I would never wait more than 30 minutes(we don't for any ride).

I really don't like the location in the land pavilion, it just doesn't feel right having a California ride in a pavilion at EPCOT about the land. It really feels like it was jammed into EPCOT. With it being in the land pavilion it would be a better ride if they redid the movie to be just about the land and not California.

I also agree with a post above about the feet dangling in front of you. The ride is 100% better when you get the front row and no feet.

kemps@wdw
08-04-2008, 10:36 PM
I do love Soarin. The concept is great and the execution is outstanding. However, I have always thought, (and posted previously) that there should be somewhere diferent than California to "soar" over. Soarin over America was my suggestion as well. A birdseye view of some of the most famous sights from sea to shining sea would be a tremendous and welcome change. :thumbsup:

CaptSmee
08-04-2008, 10:55 PM
Soarin' boarin'? Hardly. Thrilling? hardly. It's a fun ride, but I agree it doesn't necessarily live up to the hype. I do enjoy it and try to ride it a few times each trip.

drice
08-04-2008, 11:45 PM
I like it but I do NOT consider the movie to be the be all - end all.

They should put a new version of the movie into production long before the attraction "needs" it to maintain interest.

Such possibilities, not just the obvious Soarin' over Florida but

Soarin' over America...

Soarin' over Europe (introduce at DLParis then add to the other parks)

Soarin over Japan (Initoduce at DLJapan etc.)

Hey, speaking of that (I made another post) we did just what you suggested, created our own Soarin video, and then made the ride to back it up. Here it is if interested..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTzMQAVWxpI

Sunshine1010
08-05-2008, 01:47 AM
Oh my goodness.....I watched your video.

One word: Wow

Well, more words: Lucky family

Words from me: Thanks, I REALLY enjoyed it.

dmosher
08-05-2008, 05:45 AM
I will get blasted for this but honestly, I was pretty bored during snoarin... I mean soarin.

Not that it is bad use of technology, it;'s just that of all the things I WANT to do, gliding gently over California is not one of them. Take me some place I can't actually go, or if I can it would be difficult if not impossible to see in the same way, over the vast oceans, deserts, or maybe the arctic, but California.. seriously.

Sure it's pretty and some of the effects were decent, I was just seriously disappointed that I waited in line for 45 minutes to experience the lameness that is a simulated (seated) hang glide over California. This was only the 2nd attraction I have ever been disappointed to have gone on the first being Stitch's great escape and to be honest I think I actually enjoyed that more than soarin.
:pipes:
D
(This post not intended in an y way to insult residents of the beautiful state of California)
D

Vito
08-05-2008, 05:54 AM
Brilliant visuals. Amazing sensation of flying. Air blowing on your face, smells of pine and oranges... it's great. It's really a simple ride when you look at it. Big hemispherical screen and ride vehicles that only tilt slightly forward and back, but there's something so effective about it, for me at least. I've always dreamed of flying, and always wanted to fly in a hang glider and feel that freedom. Soarin' perfectly captures flight like no other attraction I've ever been on. If you let yourself be immersed in it, it's really incredible how well it works.

So that's a definite "Soarin'" for me.

drice
08-05-2008, 08:11 AM
I'm a definate Soarin junkee. Have you guys ever been on the old "Horizons" ride? That ride captured "wonderment" and I was afraid Disney was becoming more about thrill rides than wonderment. Soarin was the first ride in a while that really recaptured wonderment, sure I wish they'd change out the video now and then but I still love the whole feeling of it.

I also wish more people would get bored with Soarin ;) you know, less lines.

RAIDER
08-05-2008, 08:55 AM
For me Soarin is one of the best rides in the whole of WDW :mickey::thumbsup:

Diznee4Me
08-05-2008, 09:42 AM
We love Soarin' but wouldn't wait an awfully long time to ride it. We usually rush in first thing, grab fast passes, and then get in line. Later use our passes.

The ride itself is exhilerating but like other posts, I wish they would have something else other than California.

WDW24
08-05-2008, 11:25 AM
My family loves Soarin`! :mickey:

Texas Tinkerbell Too
08-05-2008, 12:05 PM
My vote is for "Soarin." I think it is too cool!

I hope many of you who are voting for boring will be there when I go in Sept, that would mean shorter lines for my family. :thumbsup:

AmandaChan
08-05-2008, 01:02 PM
I was kind of unsure how to vote. I love Soarin' when I get to sit in the front and I don't see any feet dangling down.. it makes for a better view. When I have to sit in the third row it IS kind of boring. I only ride this ride if the fastpasses are easily accessible. I would never wait an hour for this ride.

:mickey::mickey:

TINKERBELL_82
08-05-2008, 01:15 PM
I like Soarin' a lot, however, I would never wait more than 20 minutes to ride it.

Call me crazy, but I always hold a buried resentment towards rides that replace my favorite attractions (Veggie Veggie Fruit Fruit!).

Plus, since WDW has labeled it as a "Big Thrills" ride my mom refuses to get on, no matter how many times I tell her how tame it is.:(

I will say that the soundrack is beautiful. Sometimes when I'm playing it in my car I'll turn it up really loud, blast my AC on high, and imagine I''m riding it at that moment...

(I know- I'm goofy! :D)

Cookie123
08-05-2008, 01:38 PM
The very first time I was on Soarin', my jaw was hanging open and I started to cry with JOY! I would NOT wait stand-by line for an hour, though. I would grab that fast pass first thing in the morning to make sure that I will get to do it. I wouldn't wait a full hour for ANY ride!

It would be very interesting to me if they had
"Soarin' over New York". New York has a fantastic variety of scenery. We have the beauty of the Adirondack Mountains, fantastic lakes, and New York City.

Nascfan
08-05-2008, 01:40 PM
I will say that the soundrack is beautiful. Sometimes when I'm playing it in my car I'll turn it up really loud, blast my AC on high, and imagine I''m riding it at that moment...

(I know- I'm goofy! :D)

You're goofy? I thought you were Tinkerbell! ;)

Anyway, first off, I'Cot is great. No one blasting anyone else for their opinion of Soarin', no matter which they choose.

It is funny though how a lot of people say they won't wait a long time for it. We don't wait a long time for anything. That's what fastpass is for.

All that being said, my family loves it. Of course, we've only ridden it a couple times since it wasn't there before our 2005 trip and we've only been twice since it was put in. I suppose if after we've gone on it about 10 or a dozen times it would lose some of it's luster. But for us, it's still a must do.

Mousemates
08-05-2008, 01:49 PM
To us soarin is not borin' ...however its also not "can't miss it thrilln'"...so if the line is long and the fast passes are gone...we have been known not to wait in the standy by line but to skip it altogether.

I too would like to see a new movie at some point...maybe a soarin over alaska, or soarin over South America...maybe going from the Andes to the rainforest.

Imagineer1981
08-05-2008, 02:40 PM
Thanks to everyone who has posted. I was just curious as to why people loved it so much, and I think I now know why. Thanks!!!

BandMan
08-05-2008, 03:15 PM
I too would like to see a new movie at some point...maybe a soarin over alaska, or soarin over South America...maybe going from the Andes to the rainforest.

That would be spectacular. Not only would we have a whole new net of sights, but also smells - fresh pineapple from Hawaii, or the rainforest in Brazil, or maybe Cajun cooking over Louisiana. I know I'd leave the ride hungry!

trudisneygal
08-05-2008, 03:58 PM
I just have to share my love of Sorin'. DH took me to the World for our 6th anniversary in June of 06', 5 months after my mom passed away. This was the first time DH and I had ever been there together (I have gone with friends, and school before), and I had heard that Sorin' was very popular so we got there early, and got fastpasses to ride. I used to live in southern CA as a child, and my mom worked for Disney Studios in Burbank (where we lived). I have been to Disneyland COUNTLESS times with her, looking up at Sleeping Beauty's Castle. So, we rode Sorin' and I fell in love with it, not only because it is a ride like no other, and I knew that if my mom had still been with us she would have loved it, but because I felt like a child again, "flying" over Disneyland, seeing Sleeping Beauty's castle, and then watching the "fireworks". It felt as though at that exact moment, everything was right with the world, and I hadn't felt that happy since before my mom passed away. Now, everytime I hear the music, I can close my eyes and imagine my feet lifting off the gound, smelling the pine trees and orange groves, and get that same "kid again" feeling.

Besides that...Kronk is in the pre-show!

DisneyorBust
08-05-2008, 07:09 PM
Soarin is a 'must do' for us every trip to the WDW. Always make sure to Fastpass and ride it again!

Vito
08-05-2008, 11:17 PM
Call me crazy, but I always hold a buried resentment towards rides that replace my favorite attractions (Veggie Veggie Fruit Fruit!).But Veggie Veggie Fruit Fruit was in Kitchen Kabaret which was already replaced by Food Rocks, wasn't it?

dixielandings
08-06-2008, 12:50 AM
But Veggie Veggie Fruit Fruit was in Kitchen Kabaret which was already replaced by Food Rocks, wasn't it?

You are correct.

The lines for Soarin' are always long for a couple of reasons, I think. One, it has a reputation with first-timers as a must-ride. Two, everyone, regardless of age and virtually any physical limitation can ride, as long as they meet the height requirement. This is true of Peter's Pan Flight, too, but Soarin' is a bit more eye-popping than that. I remember riding it w/ DH a year or so ago and seeing an elderly couple boarding next to us. She was in a wheelchair and he had to help her up and into her seat, which took some effort from both of them. I sneaked a couple of peeks at her during the show - she was loving it.

That's what sets it apart for me. And I do hope they expand the show - Soarin' Over Texas would work for me. ;) But for now, I'm content running for my FPs first thing in the morning!

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
08-06-2008, 02:53 AM
We love Soarin. A must do for our family.:thumbsup:

bruin1344
08-06-2008, 01:22 PM
i love soarin but i wont wait more than half hour to go on it

Laughin' place
08-06-2008, 01:32 PM
The first time (or the first time back, after awhile away) is awesome. I dont think it holds up well to repeated rides tho'. I also think the image quality at WDW could be sharper, brighter, something. As hi-def etc becomes more the norm, Disney will have to upgrade this picture to keep it among the top of the e-ticket world.:thumbsup:

SoaringEpcot
08-06-2008, 01:34 PM
Soarin is one of our family's favorites, but I would never do it with out a fastpass.:noway:

KAJUNKING
08-06-2008, 04:08 PM
Hey, speaking of that (I made another post) we did just what you suggested, created our own Soarin video, and then made the ride to back it up. Here it is if interested..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTzMQAVWxpI

your videos are pretty cool, looks like you put a lot of time and effort into that!

Disney fans..
08-06-2008, 04:13 PM
Soarin is one of my families fav's...we only got to go on it once last time because of the wait and the fast passes running out :mad:but we are hoping to make it at least twice this year!! I do not like heights and it freaked me out a bit:sick: but I am hoping to I will be better this time around.

drice
08-06-2008, 04:15 PM
your videos are pretty cool, looks like you put a lot of time and effort into that!

Thanks, yes, it took about 3 months of planning and work (and a few $$) but it sure was a lot of fun :thumbsup:

EditReject
08-11-2008, 10:06 PM
I finally rode it during my visit last week and I had to vote boring. When I was there in 11/07, the line was 70 mins for stand-by and I said no way. This time around it said 45 minutes. I said to myself, I have to see if the hype is real and being in AC on a hot day at Epcot was an added bonus. Well, the 45 min time turned into almost 2 hours. It was ridiculous. For those of us who had never rode it before, we were saying it better be worth it. It wasn't in my opinion. At least we had a lot of good spirited people in line who made the wait fun. If I never ride it again then that is fine by me. I can see the appeal of the experience but I do not think it is something that is a must see. I actually enjoy Living with the Land more than Soarin'.

Sunshine1010
08-12-2008, 02:21 AM
Whoa.....2 hours?

That's just wrong....

Sorry you had to wait that long.

mouseketeer mom
08-12-2008, 08:48 AM
All 5 of us could stay on Soarin' for hours. I love the feeling of flying. I feel so peaceful on that ride.

HeyMrsL!ItsThisGuy!
08-12-2008, 11:09 PM
if you're my mom's friend you'd love Soarin'...

in august 2007 she went in with her two sisters and they got to ride it with Kyle Massey!

you know, Cory from Disney Channel's Cory In The House!

Vinny
08-12-2008, 11:30 PM
I love it, however, I would not wait more than 30 min for it.

I voted for Soarin' but also agree with this poster. I always make an attempt to ride Soarin' at least once or twice while in WDW. However, if the wait time is 30 minutes or more, I will move on to something else. There are too many other things to see and do in WDW to wait in line for Soarin' or any other ride for that matter for that amount of time.

JPL
08-13-2008, 12:33 AM
I enjoyed this attraction alot when I frist rode it at DCA back in 2002 and thought it was fun and very enjoyable of course my wait was never more than 10 minutes. When it came to Epcot I was glad to see something new at the park but wasn't overly excited since I had already experienced it. I still enjoy riding every once in a while but really don't understand the craze for it. It's a good ride but the wait time even with a fast pass isn't worth it. A new movie would help to some extent but they need the second theater to cut wait times down.

FTDW Poly 08
08-13-2008, 12:51 AM
I'm afraid of heights, but I really enjoyed Soarin'. What would make it better is to extend the scenes and have fewer of them. Skipping around every fifteen seconds or so takes away the reality.

c&d
08-13-2008, 09:41 AM
I enjoyed this attraction alot when I frist rode it at DCA back in 2002 and thought it was fun and very enjoyable of course my wait was never more than 10 minutes. When it came to Epcot I was glad to see something new at the park but wasn't overly excited since I had already experienced it. I still enjoy riding every once in a while but really don't understand the craze for it. It's a good ride but the wait time even with a fast pass isn't worth it. A new movie would help to some extent but they need the second theater to cut wait times down.

:ditto: I enjoyed it when I rode it in DCA in 2003. It was really fun riding with DH, MIL and SIL who are all from CA. I think what made is fun for me was watching them get excited about it. Also getting off the ride and being able to walk into DL was great.

djsharp
08-16-2008, 11:41 AM
I am scared of heights to a point and I thought that I could handle it when we went. I liked the ride as long as I only looked at the top of the screen! Every time I tried to look in the middle or down, I felt like my shoes where going to fall off and I got nausiated:sick:

It's one ride that if I miss the next time, that would be fine. But I would consider trying again too.

disneydeb
08-16-2008, 12:00 PM
I have an intense fear of heights, I always feel I am going to jump off - without control.

I LOVED SOARIN' No problem what so ever.

brianlw71
08-16-2008, 01:54 PM
Its just ok. Maybe the fact I am a pilot has something to do with that.

Jeff
08-16-2008, 02:35 PM
My family likes it a lot. However, we agree with those of you who said the wait times are ridiculous. In my opinion, absolutely NO RIDE is worth wasting 90 minutes to 2 hours in line. Go enjoy the rest of WDW.

It is a must do for us but would not be so without fastpass.

murphy1
08-16-2008, 03:02 PM
Ditto Jeff, there is no way we would (or could with little kids) wait that long. We do love it though, we spend a lot of time at the whole Land pavilion, too.

dumbo ears
08-16-2008, 03:11 PM
I personally love soarin and is a must do at Epcot. I think that it probably doesn't apeal to all people so your opinion is kind of refreshing to hear

MinnieMommie
08-16-2008, 08:23 PM
I get the most relaxing feeling each time I go on Sorin. It is a beautiful sensory experience and I ride Sorin multiple times each visit. :mickey:

BigRedDad
08-18-2008, 09:15 AM
I went on Soarin twice back in April. The first time we were in the front row which was nice. Second time we were in the back row and it stunk. I definitely will not go through that madhouse rush in the morning again to get to it. Having to walk through the tight halls, down stairs, upstairs, through queues. It is not worth the hassle to me. If I can get a fastpass later in the day without having to deal with the mad rush, I will go on it. However, it is not on any must do list.

MickeysEars
08-18-2008, 09:30 AM
I love this ride, I am from California and I rode it for the first time at DCA. Living in Pa I feel like I get to visit everytime I ride. Also, I love being lifted into the air, I don't ride big roller coasters so it is a thrill for me.

julyjewel
08-18-2008, 09:34 AM
My family and I rode this for the first time last week. It was ok and now we can say we did it. We don't plan on doing it again anytime soon.

prttynpnk
08-18-2008, 09:42 AM

I totally agree- the long queue outways how much i enjoy the ride and we often just skip it.

mermaidmarian
08-18-2008, 01:49 PM
I voted in the minority, although I have to admit I wish there was an intermediate response.

We just returned from WDW (08/04-08/11) and I took a pass on Soarin' this visit. We were at Epcot 3x during our stay and in each instance (granted afternoons & evenings) there were no FPs available any longer and the shortest standby wait posted was 90 minutes.

Put me in the category of guest who would not wait more than 30 minutes for this attraction. It is a simulator, and since it is not a thrill ride and the movie is still the same (I'm voting with the other suggestions that they need more films), it does not have a high repeat value for me.

I know lots of people simply love it (my mom is one of them) and it is one of the few "adult oriented" attractions that is not too thrilling for everyone.

I take a pass on it though - just doing my part to keep the standby wait times manageable for everyone else. :mickey:

Tinkerbella16
08-19-2008, 03:18 PM
Soarin is definately one of my must-do favorite rides in wdw! I love the concept of it. I just don't like being seated in the 3rd row, it doesn't seem as real to me. But other than that I have to ride it more than a few times every trip!

Crystal
08-19-2008, 03:59 PM
I can't vote either I guess. I like it, it's okay - but I wouldn't mind missing it if I had to.

mainemajor
10-26-2008, 03:15 PM
Like others I love the ride, but its not worth a wait of more than 20-25 minutes. It's a fast pass must.

"SULLEY "RULES!!
10-26-2008, 03:21 PM
It's AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!! DH and I are looking forward in riding it again in a few weeks.:thumbsup:

Next trip: November 24th thru December 5th @ the POP CENTURY:joy::woohoo::party2::clappy:

DisneyFr33k
10-26-2008, 03:24 PM
Did it two visits ago and that was enough.
It had just opened so I had nothing to go on. Still, it wasn't a ride that caused me the "again, again, again" feeling when I got off.
So I guess I am in the minority when I vote "boring". Just my :twocents:

laward32
10-26-2008, 03:49 PM
I didn't vote because I don't find it particularly boring, but I can skip it. It was fun once and I will probably do it again, but if time constraints make it a no go, I wouldn't be upset.:mickey:

yjgirl32
10-26-2008, 05:46 PM
I personally like this ride a lot. My DS5 loved it a lot (was only 3 at the time). He siad it was a big kids ride that he was finally able to get on. I loved tha fact that the ride used your sense of smell, touch, sight and hearing.

Zawadi
10-27-2008, 06:25 PM
We're definitely in the pro-soarin' camp.

During our 2004 trip to California, we decided to miss this attraction, as we didn't really know what it was and thought it was a bit more like hang-gliding on a zip wire, or some sort of simulator.

How wrong can you be? 2005 saw us heading to WDW and straight to Epcot to ride Soarin'.
During our last trip in Sept '08 we probably did it around 15 times over 2 weeks.

We definitely love it, but an alternative film wouldn't go amiss.

rmsongs
10-27-2008, 08:59 PM
We went on Soarin' on our last trip. Every time we got to Epcot, there were no fastpasses available. Finally, on our last day, 3 of my kids and I waited in line for 2 hours to ride it. We all loved it, but we definitely agree with everyone who's already posted saying they wouldn't wait more than 15 minutes or so to ride it. And I think a film that covers the whole country (maybe National Parks; the monuments in DC, Yellowstone, stuff like that) would be a huge improvement. The California film is cool, but how many times will we want to see it?

T-minus 11 days and counting......:thumbsup:

SFTrny
10-27-2008, 09:33 PM
How many times does a person go to WDW? I think that for most of us, Soarin is pretty cool to ride once in a lifetime...or even once every 2 - 3 years. Yeah...if I lived in the area or went to WDW every year...then maybe it would get old. But I'd probably get tired of several other of the rides as well.

I think Soarin is a great and unique ride. Haven't seen anything like it elsewhere!

badkitty
10-27-2008, 10:57 PM
Being from CA, Soarin' holds a special place for me. It was originally created for the opening of DCA - "Soarin' Over California". (In WDW, you can even see the slight skip in Patrick's pre-load video editing out the "over California".)

Tink#64
10-27-2008, 11:46 PM
We love Soarin! The 1st year it opened we rode it 3 x in a row! Luckliy there wasn't a long wait, that was early May & we almost walked on the attraction with no wait! It's my DM's fav ride & definitely one of ours! It's just so totally unique & Disney! :waycool:

Now it's on our must do, but I don't like to wait more than 20 minutes in any sb line! We usually FP this attraction & return with virtually no wait! :thumbsup:

TinkerbellT421
10-28-2008, 04:25 PM
:ditto:

I totally agree. I like it, but I do marvel at the wait times. I would never DREAM of waiting in line more than like 20 minutes for it.

I love soarin' but have to agree with this

Donald A
10-28-2008, 04:59 PM
It is a neat experience, but not worth a long wait. I consider it on my list of top attractions below most of the animatronic attractions like Splash Mountain and POTC.

FaithTrustPixieDust
10-28-2008, 05:22 PM
I think the reason that Soarin' is so popular is that it can appeal to the 5-year-old as well as the 85-year-old in your group. You can allow yourself to get immersed in the experience, which is sort of what we love about WDW anyway.

It's a must-do for us, but it's not one that we would do over-and-over-and-over in the same trip.

kemps@wdw
10-28-2008, 10:21 PM
I do not consider it an absolute must-do each trip. We 'll ride it on FP, but will not wait any longer that 15-20 min to get on (or on any attraction for that matter). I do like it, and think it's a wonderful concept, but I think it needs an refurb. I've always thought a "Soarin over America" would be better. I realize the idea came from CA, but let's broaden our horizons...shall we?:mickey:

dtootsie42
10-28-2008, 10:26 PM
Rides terrify me and I can only do certain ones. Not sure what the deal is and my daughters tell me I should do hypnosis or something. I do soaring because it is one of the few that I can do without to much trouble. :mickey:

DizRunner
10-28-2008, 10:41 PM
I love Soarin'. It's become my second favorite ride behind the HM. I like it so much that I wrote a letter to Mark Sumner, the Imagineer who thought up the design for the seats. Got a short but very nice letter back from him.

The last time I was at WDW was in January for the marathon weekend. Rode Soarin' four times, sitting in different rows and sections each time. The first three times it was quiet during the whole ride. But the last time in the evening there were a group of young 20 year old girls who would ooo and aaahhh throughout the ride. And they'd say it loud enough that the whole room started to get into it. That made that last ride a difference experience. When it was over everyone was cheering and clapping. It was cool.

Belster
10-28-2008, 11:44 PM
Just rode it for the first time last week, I loved it!:number1:

I will say that my party was mixed, out of 10 of us 4 loved it the other not so much. I love the smells on the ride. I will say that I agree with a pp that a new movie would not be such a bad idea. How about Soarin through the 7 wonders of the world......

CaptainSad
10-30-2008, 01:14 PM
I like Soarin'. But I think they should alternate different videos. A California ride in Florida? See this is where they need people with imaginations... You can program that ride to do almost anything I hope. I hope they didn't just set that erector set up just to go with that video... I am sure they can do a video of Florida, USA, or any place an configure it to move to the video's. They could change it every time you ride it if they want. This is not one of those rehabs that last for weeks or months I hope. Let me do this please...

Tinkerbellaella
10-30-2008, 01:42 PM
I love Soaring! I think maybe the hype made everyone's expectation very high. Maybe like when a new movie is coming out and you can't wait to see it and after seeing all the previews you leave the theater disappointed because everything good was in all the previews.

hardingella
10-30-2008, 01:55 PM
We all love it, its one of our favourites, but i would love to see soarin 2. I dont think it can keep its magic too much longer.

goofy for pluto
10-30-2008, 02:20 PM
We really love Soarin!
:cloud9::thumbsup::mickey:

Faver
10-30-2008, 02:22 PM
I love Soarin' :thumbsup::number1::mickey::cloud9:

pixiesmimi
10-30-2008, 03:49 PM
We enjoy the ride but have only ridden on the first row. I might not like it as well on another row with the feet in the front. DH loved this when it first came out but he loves anything like this. He kept trying to get me on it but I don't do roller coasters or simulators so I wouldn't ride it. The last trip where it was just him and I, I promised him I would try to go on all the rides with him. I am afraid of heights and the first time was terrifying for me but we immediately rode it again and it got better. I sure wouldn't wait in line a long time for it though. Unless we go first thing in the morning or get a fast pass, I probably would pass it up. It did bring back memories of when we lived in California though.

Tez
10-30-2008, 04:10 PM
I love the ride even though it gets me every time we ride it! Ask a CM that you would like to sit in the middle front row. This is the best place to get the most out of the ride! Look for the hidden Mickey's, people climbing on the mountains and such!:thumbsup:

cer
10-31-2008, 10:40 AM
I love it, because it is the closest thing to the sensation of flying I've found.

Where else can you truly feel like Peter Pan, Tinker Bell, Wendy, John and Michael? (Did I remember the boys' names right?)

Change the film if you like, but I think it is the flying that the the big draw here. I mean, really, what kid or adult for that matter hasn't dreamt of being able to fly?

Imagineer1981
11-03-2008, 01:03 PM
I love it, because it is the closest thing to the sensation of flying I've found.

Where else can you truly feel like Peter Pan, Tinker Bell, Wendy, John and Michael? (Did I remember the boys' names right?)

Change the film if you like, but I think it is the flying that the the big draw here. I mean, really, what kid or adult for that matter hasn't dreamt of being able to fly?

ride Superman at Six Flags great america where you ride on your tummy...wow what an experience

mcjaco
11-03-2008, 02:29 PM
^ Even better, is Tatsu at Magic Mountain. It's twice as long!

Seasonscraps
11-03-2008, 04:48 PM
I think Soarin' is really cool but after riding it 3 or 4 times it loses it's magic.

jeffbdw
11-04-2008, 09:38 PM
I really like it! Mostly, it very air conditioned and it feels good to have your feet dangle after a lot of walking.

Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Da Disney
10-27-2012, 04:52 PM
I love soarin definitley one of my favorite rides! It is a cant miss ride!

Gator
10-27-2012, 10:47 PM
We all love it, its one of our favourites, but i would love to see soarin 2. I dont think it can keep its magic too much longer.

Yeah, a second version would be great. But as long as the lines are an hour long, I don't see Disney re-inventing the ride. But you're right - the magic will be gone soon.

Zawadi
10-28-2012, 06:33 AM
I think Soarin' is really cool but after riding it 3 or 4 times it loses it's magic.

We're definitely in the "not boring" camp. During our last trip we did 4 rides back to back rides on both the last two nights of our stay.

We find that since the screen exceeds your field of view, boarding from any of the gates A-C gives you a different perspective. We use to like Row B1 but now prefer either (A or C)2.

This time we found 2 additional hidden mickeys on the PGA Golf Course.

angua85
10-28-2012, 07:13 AM
Rode it for the first time last year- it was a real yawner. I just dont get the hype.

mom2morgan
10-28-2012, 12:10 PM
I've only ridden it once, because the lines are always ridiculous. That time I waited 2 hours....and while I ENJOYED it and would like to ride it again, there is no way in the world I'd wait more than 20 minutes or so. It doesn't make my top 5, that's for sure (If you are wondering - Splash, Expedition Everest, Tower or Terror, Big Thunder and Rock 'n Roller Coaster, in that order. Would seriously feel my trip wasn't complete if I didn't get at least one ride on each).

DisneyDawgette
10-29-2012, 12:27 AM
Not uncommonly, I'm in the minority here as well. We rode it for the first time this month and I was so very underwhelmed. Transitions were quick and there was no logical flow between the lands... Our cast member was highly unpleasant, and even with a FastPass at the beginning of October, there was STILL a huge wait. I just don't get the appeal. :down:

LudwigVonDrake
10-29-2012, 01:39 PM
I really like Soarin' but I think it's time to change the movie :mickey:

joonyer
10-29-2012, 01:48 PM
Soarin': Good but not great. The real innovation of this attraction is the seating mechanism that not only seems to hang you over the screen, but does so three rows at at time. Otherwise, the wait times would be three times as long. I agree with others that, like many other attractions at WDW, it needs some updating and a little TLC. To me, it's worth doing, but not worth waiting an hour for.

darthmacho
10-29-2012, 01:50 PM
I had doubts that it was overhyped before I rode it in 2010, but it actually exceeded my expectations and is one of my favorite rides. :mickey:

MrPeetrie
10-29-2012, 01:53 PM
When I was younger, I was all about thrill rides. I love Cedar Point's gigacoasters. I bungie jumped at 200 feet. I did a static-line parachute jump at 3,200 feet. In short, I was a thrill junkie and from that perspective, Soarin' comes up short.

But, I'm 52 now with two little kids. It doesn't take much to thrill me anymore. My DD9 got to ride that for the first time last year and she LOVED it. This year, she couldn't ride it enough. It's also a ride my DW can ride, as many rides make her nauseated. Therefore, I LOVE IT, TOO!!!! I just want to enjoy fun rides with my family. So I voted "Soarin'," but I completely understand if other think it falls short.

micky95
10-29-2012, 03:08 PM
my dw and i have ridden it 16 times in one day and 32 over a short weekend trip.we made friends with some cast members and always go back to see them.it does need an upgrade and as far as feet in the view you can ask to be seated in row 1.just back from our trip but only rode it 3 times.:blush: