PDA

View Full Version : Breakfast at Kona

MississippiDisneyFreak
08-04-2008, 11:15 AM
:mickey: After all the reports about the famous Tonga Toast, I just had to book breakfast at Kona the morning we check out...here's my dilemma...now I am hearing great things about the macadamia nut pancakes and that Tonga Toast is overrated....I see if you order the big Kahuna, you get the pancakes and french toast, which is basically what tonga toast is minus the banana.....what would you get?

mouseketeer mom
08-04-2008, 11:24 AM
I would get the Tonga toast AND macadamia nut pancakes and share. Thats what we always do. Pair that with a pot of pressed coffee and you may never leave. Kona is our fave breakfast choice. My daughter eats the whole Tonga toast by herself. And she's not a big girl. She's a small, junior olympic gymnast and she polishes that toast off. She LOVES it.
I think its a little sweet and prefer the pancakes. But its all good!!

prprincess
08-04-2008, 12:10 PM
I would get the Tonga toast AND macadamia nut pancakes and share.I was going to suggest the exact same thing. Only because with Tonga Toast, it seems like people either love it or hate it. I personally LOVE it and it's a must have on every trip to WDW! :thumbsup:

slegrant
08-04-2008, 12:26 PM
Tonga Toast is the best! but you can't go wrong with the pancakes either:mickey:

MississippiDisneyFreak
08-04-2008, 01:35 PM
I would get the Tonga toast AND macadamia nut pancakes and share. Thats what we always do. Pair that with a pot of pressed coffee and you may never leave. Kona is our fave breakfast choice. My daughter eats the whole Tonga toast by herself. And she's not a big girl. She's a small, junior olympic gymnast and she polishes that toast off. She LOVES it.
I think its a little sweet and prefer the pancakes. But its all good!!

:thumbsup: That's a great idea:thumbsup:

Disnamic Duo
08-04-2008, 04:30 PM
I think Tonga Toast would be perfect if it didn't have the bananas in it. In other words, I'd go for the other dish with the regular french toast. I liked the tonga toast, but the french toast I had at Boatwrights at POR was better (no bananas).

bc002k
08-04-2008, 06:14 PM
Never had the macadamia nut pancakes, but the Tonga Toast is so NOT overrated. It lived up to the hype (and this from Cap'n Cooks..where presentation consists of the tonga toast being plopped onto a paper plate. I'm sure it's even better at Kona).

PetefromRI
08-04-2008, 07:35 PM
The Tonga Toast is great.We're going to split a Tonga Toast and a pressed pot next month,but if your really hungry,the Big Kahuna can't be beat!

jszczur5
08-05-2008, 02:47 PM
Unfortunately I didn't hear about this Tonga Toast until well after all my ADR's were set. We don't have any TS credits unaccounted for, so we are going to use a CS credit at Captain Cook's to try the Tonga Toast. I certainly hope that it is equal to all the hype. Last year, I discovered that Dole Whip floats were, and School Bread wasn't.
Anyone have any comments on the rice cream? It sounds like rice pudding. Does it have raisins, and if so, how easily could they be picked out?

TINKERBELL_82
08-05-2008, 03:09 PM
I would get the Tonga toast AND macadamia nut pancakes and share. Thats what we always do. Pair that with a pot of pressed coffee and you may never leave.

This is exactly what DH and I do!!! I thought we were the only ones- LOL!

Jean
08-05-2008, 05:02 PM
I got turned off on Tonga Toast the first time I tried it because of the bananas. Hot, Black and slimy is not my idea of yummy. The next time I went I asked them to leave the bananas out and they were wonderful. I was lucky twice at Kona Cafe to have them stuffed with starwberries instead, but for the past few years they have not done it for me, so I am happy with just the tonga Toast with nothing else.

JasonH
08-05-2008, 06:17 PM
The couple times I have stayed at Poly I had to have the Tonga Toast. I LOVE bananas and french toast so this was a great pairing for me.:thumbsup:

In response to jszczur5 question about the rice cream...I've not had that at Poly, but I have had the rice cream at Norway. It is basically like a rice pudding, no raisins, but is topped off with strawberries/strawberry sauce and a small dollop of whipped cream. Hope that helps!

Hull-onian
08-07-2008, 06:24 PM
One more add on for the Tonga Toast, you can have breakfast at The Rainforest Cafe at Animal Kingdom and get Tonga Toast and great coffee :mcoffee:. Yum!!!

stitch'sgirl
08-07-2008, 11:57 PM
I actaully made ADR's for Kona for breakfast, despite my DB's objections, and was trying to figure out which was better. Good thing I found this....now he has no say in breakfast that morning, period!:mickey::blush:

Mommy2boys
08-08-2008, 08:15 PM
I ordered the Tonga Toast and DH ordered the big kahuna. That way we tried it all. I really enjoyed both.