PDA

View Full Version : Potty-training tips?

minnie-mouse
08-04-2008, 08:48 AM
Does anyone have any good potty training tips for girls? Our DD is 2 1/2 this month and I have been trying to sit her on the potty a lot, she is wearing pull ups and sometime when we are home for the day, she will wear big girl underwear. But she just doesn't get that when she is sitting on the potty that she is actually supposed to do something in it. Is she not ready? She is not one to sit for long as she is very active. I am starting to get a bit frustrated. I have tried the whole "you get a sticker or a lollipop if you go potty" thing, but then she just assumes every time she just sits there not doing anything she is entitled to one.
Ugh! help!:confused:

Strmchsr
08-04-2008, 09:38 AM
I know some folks think you should force the issue, but, personally, I think each child trains when he/she is ready. I don't recall seeing a 5 yr old in diapers. Kids will do it when the time is right, so if she shows absolutely no interest, I wouldn't force the issue. Of course, I've trained 2 boys and I'm sure girls can be a little different, but the basic dynamics are the same. One of the ways I found helpful in getting my boys interested was to let them read (or read to them) one of the good kids potty training books. Also, Bear in the Big Blue House had a potty training episode (I think Seaseme Street does too) so if you can find something like that which she already likes it can help spark her interest. By waiting until they were ready both my boys were literally trained in a weekend. One day they just did. No forcing, no bribing, no crying. They were just ready.

goofiecrazy
08-04-2008, 09:41 AM
We had this issue with our daughter several months ago.We went from disapers right to underwear thank god,but i took for ever for her to do it.Then one day she was doing it on her own. Ihave gone on the web site for Chuck E. Cheeses and they have reward coupons that if they go like 14 days they get 10 tokens.Y ou just X off everday then visit ur local Store and cash it it.NOt sure if they still have that one but i know they have other ones.

Flower
08-04-2008, 09:47 AM
Brandon would get a few m&m's when he p'd and a new hot wheel when he pooh'd.

It took some time, but he finally got it. I think the deciding factor was when we said no more diapers or pull-ups, it was gross for the first little while, but in a few days he had it down and was accident free. Nighttime training took more time, but I wanted day training out of the way first!

Personally, I do not like pull-ups. To me, they were no different than diapers - why stop to go potty when you can continue playing and go in your 'pants'. He did not like the feel of his yucky wet undies.

dephenn
08-04-2008, 10:04 AM
For our DS we planned a trip to see Thomas the Tank Engine and told him that Thomas would not let little boys in diapers on his cars and that worked. For our DD we put a picture of a doll house she wanted on the bottom of the potty lid and told her that she had a choice, Santa would bring her the doll house and toys for Christmas or he would bring her diapers and that worked. Both were under three. Good luck.

d_m_n_n
08-04-2008, 10:13 AM
I know some folks think you should force the issue, but, personally, I think each child trains when he/she is ready. I don't recall seeing a 5 yr old in diapers. Kids will do it when the time is right, so if she shows absolutely no interest, I wouldn't force the issue. Of course, I've trained 2 boys and I'm sure girls can be a little different, but the basic dynamics are the same. One of the ways I found helpful in getting my boys interested was to let them read (or read to them) one of the good kids potty training books. Also, Bear in the Big Blue House had a potty training episode (I think Seaseme Street does too) so if you can find something like that which she already likes it can help spark her interest. By waiting until they were ready both my boys were literally trained in a weekend. One day they just did. No forcing, no bribing, no crying. They were just ready.

I have to agree. Sure, DSs were both 3+ when they were potty trained, but it was done literally in one day with DS10. No arguing, no fussing, no stressing. Just one day he decided to do it and it was done.

DisneyDog
08-04-2008, 10:17 AM
Tara,
I learned the hard way that you have no control over this. We tried to force the issue with Max (mostly because we were tired of paying for diapers), and it didn't work. So, I stopped even discussing it with him. He was also learning at school, so I just waited for him to ask to use the potty at home. And, it happened much sooner than I thought. Within a month after I stopped discussing it, he "trained" himself. He started asking to use the potty and within a few weeks he was dry all the time.

Basically, there is no one tried and true way. Every kid is different. But, it's not going to happen until she decides she is ready. She is in complete control of the situation.

LittleRoosMommy
08-04-2008, 10:48 AM
We had some similar issue with our DD when we potty trained her. She was also 2 1/2 and had been showing signs that she was "ready". Part of our problem was I also had a newborn at home keeping busy. So, one day I decided that we were done using diapers. We discussed everything with her and told her what we wanted her to do (she had been sitting on the potty previously, with hits & misses). So, that morning (Sun) we had a diaper throwing away party! We had her throw her diapers in a trash bag and DH took outside to the trash! From that day on she wore her big girl panties!

After staying in with her for 3 straight days and having many successes and many misses, I was getting frustrated and was doubting myself about whether she was ready to do this or not. I was talking to my best friend, who has potty trained 3, and she suggested getting just a potty ring (we had been using potty chairs) and a big bag of m&m's. I was ready to try anything at this point! She said if she sits & doesn't go, give her one m&m and she if she sits and actually goes, give her a couple. I was skeptical, but was willing to try! The next day, DD got out of bed and we started this new process. By lunch time, she was doing really well!! And that was that!! Not sure if she was just ready by the 4th day or what, but we haven't looked back since!!:party:

So, maybe give that a try! Also, after about a week with the m&m's we didn't even have to reward her!! Like an above post, we also had her watch Bear in the Big Blue House, and Sesame Street and read several books about potty training!! Hope this helps!! Good Luck!!

Flower
08-04-2008, 10:55 AM
The other great training thing with the m&m's, I had Brandon count them & tell me their colors before he was allowed to eat them! Learning and he never even knew it!

prprincess
08-04-2008, 12:14 PM
I'm definitely subscribing to this thread. DS#1 is 3y6mo and still not potty trained. We started him last December, and he did great until the middle of February-he stopped going at home. Later on, maybe in May, he stopped going all together at school. We've tried everything, including Hot Wheels, candy, potty charts, underwear, you name it. So now we're just chalkign it up to him being lazy and just not ready. :confused::(

I have just purchased some potty training guide books online and then lots of friends suggest the Elmo potty training DVD. I'll let you all know how they work when they arrive.

RedSoxFan
08-04-2008, 12:58 PM
Each child is different. My three boys were potty trained before the age of 2. My daughter, on the other hand, was over 3 before she would be potty trained. She just wasn't ready and I wasn't going to force her. Too much work if they're not ready. When she was ready, she was trained in a week wearing undies. No pull-ups. And a week later, she wasn't wearing diapers at night either.

minnie-mouse
08-04-2008, 01:18 PM
Thanks everyone. I will keep trying. I thought about doing the m&m's but don't want her to think every time she does something good, she should get candy. I am hoping stickers will work for now.

crazypoohbear
08-04-2008, 01:42 PM
The key is YOU have to be there. YOU have to bite the bullet and take the time to really make him or her go. Spend a weekend without Diapers or Pullups. put them in underwear and every hour take them into the potty. Run water, talk, read what ever but have them sit on the potty for about 2 minutes each time. NO excuses. Do this for a few days and all will be done

IF they have accidents in the underwear dont' rush to change them right away, if they realize how uncomfortable that is they will think twice about sitting and not getting up to go. (this is why you hear how easy it was to train us, cloth diapers were not fun to wear, we got wet and it was uncomfortable!)

Make sure YOU make the commitment to do the training. Don't give up or make excuses, it is hard work but it will be harder to wait too long then the child will become more stubborn and it becomes a battle of the wills.

Diapers are expensive that alone should be enough incentive to keep you going!

Disney Doll
08-04-2008, 02:02 PM

I agree! I tried training around 2 1/2, but it didn't go well. We tried everything including bribing, but we eventually concluded that she wasn't ready. We started with pull ups and then progressed to big girl undies, but she just wasn't reliable. She could go for a week with no accidents and then pee on the couch. After lots of accidents I just kept a pull up on her all the time. She learned in her own time around 3 yrs old. It's just not worth the headache. I know diapers are a pain, but it's less of a chore than cleaning pee from every surface in your home. This time around I'm not even going to mention it until 3 yrs old unless our son shows a lot of interest.

buzznwoodysmom
08-05-2008, 12:17 AM
I don't really have any tips for you, but wanted to tell you that it will happen eventually. My boys were both over 3 when they were finally fully potty trained. I thought I was such a bad parent and that surely I was doing something wrong, but when they decided they were ready that was it. Good luck and be patient!

DisneyDog
08-05-2008, 09:54 AM
I think just over 3 seems to be the norm for boys. My DS has a September birthday, and he was trained around mid October of his 3rd year.

ttccluvsdis
08-05-2008, 12:25 PM
Tara,
I used a product called pods. I ordered them online and they were about 20 dollars for 60 of them. They look like a big maxi pad. You put them in big girl underwear. If my daughter peed the pod got cold and she wanted to immediately be changed. I only used 10 of them.
The problem I had with pull ups is she didn't feel wet when she had an accident. I had mixed feelings about the m&m's and rewards.
I used the pods with both my daughters and I had enough left over that my best friend used them for her son.

Traci

rt207
08-05-2008, 08:39 PM
I am in the beginning stages of this with my DS (18 mos.). He started showing interest in going on the potty because he always follows me into the BR :shake:. He started picking up his potty ring and trying to put it on the commode (I had been casually sitting him on it because it initially freaked him out:fit:and I just wanted him to get used to it and not be afraid), so I asked him if he had to go potty and he got a big smile on his face. He's doing pretty well and it's cute to watch him look up at me and smile as soon as he goes. He totally knows what he's supposed to be doing on there. I am totally letting him lead me in this because he's still quite young, but he's making a great start!

crazypoohbear
08-11-2008, 05:04 PM
One great tip I used when I was potty training my boys is to toss a few cheerios or fruit loops in the toilet bowl. They like to try to sink them :blush: And it hopefully helps with the aim

Jenemmy
08-11-2008, 06:18 PM
Let me tell ya, I about pulled my hair out with my first child and then the greatest thing happened...TRICK OR TREAT. My son wanted to be Peter Pan that year and something clicked in my brain. I said "Oh baby, I'm sorry! You can't be Peter Pan because Peter Pan doesn't wear pull ups! He uses the potty!" BAM -- a light went off in his little noggin and that was IT! Used the potty from that day forward. Trick or treat isn't THAT far away -- maybe you could give it a whirl!

Marilyn Michetti
08-11-2008, 09:21 PM
This is weird, because we were just discussing that very subject Sat morning in a class. One of the girls has a 2y.o., and was asking for advice. My teacher, a grandmother, had the best tip I've ever heard. Sit the child on the seat backwards. That way they can look down, see it, and where it's going. Makes sense. They also will have the back of the toidy to hold onto. Her theory is that if they can see the "plop", it won't be scary.:(

I'm not going to be potty training anyone at my age, so it's a moot point. Let us know what works.:thumbsup:

iheartmickey
08-12-2008, 08:35 AM
I think if you can invest one solid day to just the training then the child can understand what they are supposed to be doing and it will take less time and mean less accidents.

What I did with DD, when she was 18 months was just that. The previous day I told her we were going to teach her dolly how to potty. We got the potty doll out and talked about how to potty.

The next day I hung a sheet of paper on the wall with lots of stickers. I got out the doll and DD's potty chair. I put DD in a t-shirt and panties ... no pants. I got out some snacks and lots and lots of drinks ... soda, juice, water and let her pick her drink. She was so excited!!! LOL! I got out some salty snacks and let her eat and drink ... encouraging the drinking. While we did this we made her doll drink ... then I made her doll have an accident. I made a big deal ... "Uh-Oh!! Doll had an accident ... Dolly you should go in the big girl potty!!" A couple minutes later we fed the doll again ... this time she (the doll) went on the doll potty. We had a mini party for her going on the potty ... she got stickers and one treat. DD was excited.

I would sit DD on the potty every few minutes encouraging her to go ... eventually she did. I made it a huge deal ... calling Santa Clause, her grammy, etc. I let her pick a sticker and put it on her piece of paper on the wall by her potty chair, and had one treat (I think it was rasinetes).

I made sure the potty chair was in the middle of the action. A reminder of what we were doing. I also think knowing the day was just for training ... having no clothes on ... just the panties helped. Lots of drinks and snacks really helped too ... gave more opportunities for the "making"!

We did this all day long ... she did have one accident ... but it was small .. and I personally think it was a small price to pay for learning the potty!!:D We used the same method with number 2 in the same day. She was really potty trained in one day ... I just needed to keep up on asking her and making sure to take her often that first couple of weeks.

My mom always said, it was us that really needed the training ... getting up and get them on the potty right away in the AM, asking them when they need to go etc.

murphy1
08-12-2008, 09:08 AM
We have been all over the place on this one. My first girl was 3 1/2, second girl (we call her our little professor) was 20 months (both pee and poo) and the third, well, she is 4 and last year was pee trained, but still wants to poo in a pull up or hold it. I had to call the pediatrician about it and she said the same thing as Chris/Strmchsr, to let her do it on her own. I am so sick of it though, she even poo'd on the toilet when my mom was here helping when I had surgery. I am getting a little more tough these next two weeks. I think she is finally breaking through.

Jeri Lynn
08-16-2008, 07:39 AM
One thing that I used while potty training my kids, and house training my dogs, was the oven timer, I would always set it every 45-60 minutes and then I would remember to ask them if they needed go use the potty....or the bush!!:blush:

Flower
08-16-2008, 08:28 AM
If you go to the Pullups website they will send you a free potty training video - I do not know what it is all about, I ordered one for Ben the other day!

mdhiggin
08-16-2008, 02:26 PM
Potty trained my 3 year old recently. I tried Pull-Ups, but after the initial discomfort of the cold reaction in them, she ignored it. I finally got sick of buying them and told her she was going to wear panties. She wet herself repeatedly that first day and was very embarassed and uncomfortable with that. The next day she wanted Pull-Ups on, but we stuck with panties. She didn't wet herself at all that day and was potty trained from then on. Pull-Ups just seem to make them too comfortable. She saw no reason to go to the bathroom when she was perfectly happy with a wet Pull-Up.

magicofdisney
08-17-2008, 06:35 PM
When I started with my fist son, I tried the Potty Training in a Day method. He understood, but he had no control. There is actually a muscle that must mature before they can successfully potty train and until then it's pointless.

My biggest challenge with my last baby (ok, he's 3 so he's not a baby, but he's my last...so he's my baby :blush:) was getting him to stay on the potty. So I gave him his brother's gameboy and he was allowed to play as long as he wanted if he stayed on the potty. It took half a day of getting on and getting off. Finally he peed in the potty and the light bulb went off (he figured it out). He was 1mos shy of 3 when this happened. It's now been 2mos and he only wears pull-ups at night. Most nights he's dry.

jennsky
08-18-2008, 10:17 PM
Here's what I did...we just trained my daughter 3 weeks ago, and so far, so good! She is 2 years, 2 months old.

I had been trying for a while with putting her on the potty and "bribing" her with stickers if she'd go. That didn't work. She too couldn't sit still long enough and would get all upset if she couldn't get off the potty. I had the "potty training chart" all taped up and everything waiting for stickers from the big "event", but it never happened.

So, a few weeks ago, I had time at the cottage for four straight days with my mom. We just decided that she was going to wear big girl underpants the entire time (except for naps and bedtime). Well, she had a couple little accidents, but quickly learned that she didn't want to pee in her underpants. Every two minutes (not really exaggerating here) I would ask "do you have to go to the potty???" Sometimes she would say yes, sometimes no. Whenever she went, it was this big "Celebration" and she didn't even care about getting a sticker or other reward because we were giving her hugs and such. Seriously, by the time I left the cottage, she was trained. Miracle of miracles I guess. When we got home, I was lucky because my husband had the entire following week off, so he kept up with the potty training thing. Now that she's gone back to her daycare, she's still using the potty and has only had one or two minor accidents since.

As of now, my daughter tells me when she has to go to the potty (she does both #1 and #2 on the potty). She even woke up early one morning and hollered that she needed to use the potty, so I put her on it and she did #2.

Anyways, my opinion is that pull-ups are a waste of money. Kids think they're just diapers. I think skipping them and going straight to real underpants is the way to go, and don't be worried if the underpants get dirty. That's what the laundry's for. Plus, having a week off (or several days) where you can dedicate the time to potty training can go a long way! Hope some of this helps! Good luck!