PDA

View Full Version : Five star range??

Alligirl
08-04-2008, 01:26 AM
Hello friends!
I am renovating my kitchen and I am looking at the 48" five star dual fuel range online. On paper it seems to be a great deal but I cant seem to find any user reviews online anywhere! I mean I can go see it at the appliance store but until you use something like this everyday you dont know how it works. So if anyone has experience with this range please let me know what you think!
Thanks so much. Intercotees are always so helpful with these type of things!
~Allison

Alligirl
08-05-2008, 05:14 PM
Ok what about the thermador?! I cant even find five star in the stores but I am leaning toward a thermador pro grand. Any thoughts?

DizneyRox
08-05-2008, 06:25 PM
I have a Viking, love it! One "problem" is we got the 36" version, it's a 6 burner (propane) with an electric range. The oven seems to be a little small, although we haven't had any problems. The 48" models have a double oven setup, which to me would mean both are smaller than the one we have.

It's something to think about... Whatever you choose, make sure you vent it correctly. We opted for a 42" hood with a 600 CFM blower. For a 48" I think you'll need a 1200 CFM blower however. Even with one burner on, it's capable of heating the whole kitchen.

Alligirl
08-05-2008, 11:47 PM
One of the things I like about the thermador is that you can fit a full sheet pan in the larger oven! I am also putting it on an outside wall so that should help with the venting I think. It is just such a large amount of money that I want to make my decision wisely! Have you had any repair type problems with the viking? I had decided on the viking and then consumer reports kind of scared me!

DizneyRox
08-06-2008, 10:24 AM
Well, we have had a few problems with it, however service has been outstanding. Our biggest problem is that for some reason, the spark module doesn't hit each of the burners. It will be fine for weeks and then a few times, one of the burners just won't light. It's more aggrivating that for the cost of the oven it shouldn't happen than anything else. And after I call for service, it seems to behave to the point I start to feel guilty for calling.

BUT, it cooks wonderfully. Several convection modes on the oven, the burners are great (I seldom have them above MED-LOW setting. There is a fine control on the burners to get that perfect simmer going, and all out for Wok cooking if necessary.

Like I said, the 48" is a big stove, unless you're feeding an army, it might be overkill, but I know nothing about your situation. You must allow for proper venting on whatever stove you get. Our hood cost another $2K over the cost of the stove, then the labor to install.

I have stopped reading consumer reports. Their ratings have not been close to my experiences lately in many of their reviews.

Alligirl
08-06-2008, 03:36 PM
I am sorry just nervous to spend all this money and not get the right thing! The 48 is huge but I have a 40 cooktop now and I dont want to go smaller and I love the idea of double ovens! My DD wants to go to culinary school so in the cooler months she is baking or cooking almost everyday! With two cooks in the kitchen I think the double ovens would really help!
I might rethink the viking. I really like it and would so many ppl buy it if it didnt work right?! Arrg! Sorry for going on but Thanks for your help!! I did not think there wouldbe so many decisions for this kitchen project!