PDA

View Full Version : Wizard of Oz anywhere?

2Princesses4Us
08-04-2008, 01:26 AM
My daughters just LOVE the Wizard of Oz and plan to be Dorothy and Glinda for the Not-So-Scary Halloween party during our trip.

Is there any mention/appearance/attraction involving the Wizard of Oz in Disney World?

Thanks!
:mickey:

Melanie
08-04-2008, 02:28 AM
You're in luck! Do not miss the Great Movie Ride at Disney's Hollywood Studios. An entire scene/ride stop is right in the middle of Munchkin Land. Your daughters will love it!

disneyfan328
08-04-2008, 10:39 AM
I agree with the PP this is one of the best scenes of that ride. muchinkinland is so realistic, and the wicked witch pops out in a cloud of smoke just like in the movie. It really was good.:thumbsup: a must see for any OZ lover. Outside of the great movie ride there are also a bunch of the cement squares with the hand/footprints/pawprints ect from many stars. I read somewhere that these get changed out every so often but when we were there we got a picture of Judy Garlands with the ruby slippers foot print.

Marker
08-04-2008, 10:46 AM
While the Wizard Of Oz is indeed depicted in The Great Movie Ride, I thought I would mention that you are not likely to find it anywhere else because the Wizard Of Oz is not a Disney film.

MMouse6937
08-04-2008, 10:47 AM
I agree with the Great Movie Ride. The scene is wonderful! The Wicked Witch animatronic is one of the most sophisticated in the whole park. I actually thought it was a lady playing the part (some of the scenes in the GMR have real actors so sometimes it's hard to tell the difference)! Your daughter will love it! Have fun!!

Imagineer1981
08-04-2008, 11:58 AM
as everyone has said...Great Movie Ride!!!!

DDuck66
08-04-2008, 01:48 PM
The shop at the end of the Backlot Tours also used to have some Oz memorabilia. Have not been on it lately so I am not sure if they still carry it.

Goes4FastPass
08-04-2008, 02:07 PM
While Munchkin Land is the highlight (for me) of the Great Movie Ride lets not forget there's a tableau of Dorothy and her cohorst headin to the Emerald City that goes by to fa-

MississippiDisneyFreak
08-04-2008, 02:55 PM
In the Great Movie Ride, still my favorite DHS ride:thumbsup:

sillyolbear
08-04-2008, 04:02 PM
The GMR scene is very well done.

On a side note, years ago there was a theme park in the North Carolina mountains called the Land of Oz complete with a yellow brick road that led into the park.

disneymom2000
08-04-2008, 06:52 PM
It always seemed to me that the Wizard of Oz part of the Great Movie Ride was the largest setup of all the movies noted. I always love the Emerald City scene.

Melanie
08-04-2008, 08:09 PM
On a side note, years ago there was a theme park in the North Carolina mountains called the Land of Oz complete with a yellow brick road that led into the park.

Oh my, memories! Wow, we went to that park a couple of times when I was little.

DDuck66
08-05-2008, 11:19 AM
Oh my, memories! Wow, we went to that park a couple of times when I was little.

I remember going there too...didn't they change that to Silver Dollar City afterwards??

Crow
08-05-2008, 08:04 PM
yep GMR

joelkfla
08-05-2008, 11:16 PM
It always seemed to me that the Wizard of Oz part of the Great Movie Ride was the largest setup of all the movies noted. I always love the Emerald City scene.
It was to be even larger --

The Fantasia room just before Munchkinland was planned to be the twister that took Dorothy to Oz, but contractual problems with Ted Turner nixed that.

If you look at the set surrounding the projection screen, the wind effect, and the fact that the very next thing you see is Dorothy's house crashed down in Oz --- it all fits.

Melanie
08-06-2008, 02:22 AM
Sorry to continue :offtopic:

I remember going there too...didn't they change that to Silver Dollar City afterwards??

Silver Dollar City is in Branson.

Here's the Wikipedia article on the Land of Oz.

The Land of Oz is a mostly now-defunct theme park located in the resort town of Beech Mountain, North Carolina. It was opened in 1970 by Grover Robbins, who had been successful with Tweetsie Railroad, and was fully operational until 1980. Based on the 1939 MGM movie The Wizard of Oz, visitors could take a walk down the Yellow Brick Road, "experience" the cyclone which struck Dorothy's house, and visit with the Scarecrow, Tin Woodman, the Cowardly Lion, and of course, the Wicked Witch of the West. The Yellow Brick Road led (inevitably) to a show at the Emerald City where the characters met with the Wizard. Finally, an artificial balloon ride (propelled by electric power lines) allowed visitors to get a bird's-eye view of the park and breathtaking mountain scenery before leaving Oz.

The musical score sung by the characters on the Yellow Brick Road and at Emerald City was composed by notables Alec Wilder and North Carolina native Loonis McGlohon (with the exception of E.Y. Harburg and Harold Arlen's "Over the Rainbow" for which rights were obtained to interpolate into the Emerald City show).

In the late nineties, much of the old theme park was restored and is now opened once a year in October when Beech Mountain holds their annual "Autumn at Oz" festival. Although the balloon rides and the Emerald City are long gone, visitors can once again stroll down the Yellow Brick Road and see some of their old "friends" again.

A video and display on The Land of Oz is on exhibit in the museum at Appalachian State University ( :cheer: ) in Boone.

Villains0501
08-15-2008, 03:05 PM
GMR is ur best bet, but be aware there r quite firghtening sequences in GMR like a gangste shootout section and a live action scene from ALien in which the alien pops out at u!:(

bertasso59
08-15-2008, 04:39 PM
While the Wizard Of Oz is indeed depicted in The Great Movie Ride, I thought I would mention that you are not likely to find it anywhere else because the Wizard Of Oz is not a Disney film.

While OZ is not a Disney film,it is an MGM film which explains it's presence at the former MGM/Disney studio.Its too bad Disney's contract with MGM was not renewed, then maybe we could beg for more Oz like a whole dark ride.Can you imagine scenes of the twister and the witch flying in a Soarin type ride?

KEDOGN
08-16-2008, 09:53 PM
"Silver Dollar City is in Branson. "

I love Silver DollaR City!

FIRE IN THE HOLE.....

Tick-Tock
08-17-2008, 06:19 PM
I seem to recall a display of the ruby slippers in the queue area of GMR as well.

joelkfla
08-18-2008, 12:43 AM
I seem to recall a display of the ruby slippers in the queue area of GMR as well.
They're gone. They were on loan, and the owner requested their return.