PDA

View Full Version : Tell me how The Grand Tea works...

mouseketeer mom
08-03-2008, 08:36 AM
My DD's and I (they are 14 and 12) are going to the afternoon tea at the Grand Floridian together in a week or so. For those that have been, tell me how it works please!
I'm not sure I understand the menu..do you choose courses..or do you choose a package (like the Buckingham tea, etc...)? Also, do you choose your flavor of tea, or do you get what comes with the package? I'm not sure I understand how it works! Thanks!

Flower
08-03-2008, 10:26 AM
The Tea at the Grand Floridian is wonderful! We have experienced it on several occasions.

I usually get the Buckingham in fact. Essentially it is a package in that it comes with sandwiches, dessert & tea.

The Buckingham 'package' comes with a 'sampling' of 5 different sandwiches, basically you get 1 full sandwich and a quarter. You also get the jam tarts & scones. You then get your choice of dessert, either pastries or fresh strawberries & cream. You then get to choose the flavor of tea you want, my fav is the Gardenview blend. Everything is served in 'courses', not all at once.

You do not have to choose a 'package' such as the Buckingham, you can choose a selection from the a la carte section.

wendy*darling
08-03-2008, 03:25 PM
I really enjoyed my one experience at the Grand Floridian Tea.

**One thing- do not eat lunch on the day you go there! And consider your timing for dinner plans. It may sound like a "snack" but you really do get a lot of food.**

They bring you a box of tea samples- you can read about each and smell them before you make your choice. If you have a non-tea drinker, they also have coffee, hot chocolate, white & chocolate milk, sodas, etc.

You can choose one of the "offerings" which are multi-course experiences that range from $13.50-$25.50 per person. Or you can go a la carte.
The tea sandwiches are "assorted" and I do not think they offered us a choice there. Some we liked, some we didn't. But that was OK.

The baked goods, strawberries and cream and the trifle are all fabulous! :tasty:

It's all very pretty. And it feels quite elegant in there! :cloud9: The servers did a wonderful job when we visited- explained everything in detail, were attentive, but not pushy.

We wore nicer capris and tops- nothing fancy, but not shorts and t-shirts. Everyone was pretty much dressed that way. A few sundresses as well.

And when we were all done (and stuffed!) we each got a rose!

I think you and your DDs will really enjoy this experience. :thumbsup:

minnie1956
08-03-2008, 10:23 PM
We've had ladies time at the tea several times.
Your DD's will love it. The sandwiches are very different, but it's so fun to try new things.
I love the Princess Breakfast tea. Be prepared to take your time, because after all, you can't rush tea!

maxrebo77
08-04-2008, 01:37 PM
I went there 2 years ago and loved it. Had the Prince Edward (if I remember right) and the Irish Breakfast Tea. It was cool, relaxed and quiet. Kind of like a vacation from the vacation.
Enjoy.
maxrebo

wdwvacationeer
08-04-2008, 02:56 PM
You will love it. I take my three DDs every year and it has become a tradition. It is very pretty and quiet and slow paced (in a good way)-you'll feel relaxed and refreshed after your tea. I would definitely treat it as a meal, not a snack. We made the mistake one year of having dinner reservations about four hours after our tea and our dinner was wasted- they really give you quite a bit of "tea" food depending on what you order. I like the Gardenview Blend tea, I get it every time; but, the girls try something new and so far like everything they have tried. We arrive at Disney next Tuesday and have reservations for afternoon tea on Sunday. So, after doing the parks from morning to night for five days- we will really be looking forward to our tea- it'll be a nice change of pace.

I've read that several men enjoy the tea also; so, we are considering taking along DH and DS17 next spring when we return. I think they would like it too.

Cookie123
08-05-2008, 02:32 PM
Is this afternoon tea in a particular restaurant?

I have had 7 solo vacations to WDW. Do you think I might be a bit lonely if I did this tea by myself? I have done just fine with all of my other solo vacations, though.

I also had found it difficult to understand how this system works. Thanks everyone for the explainations.

maxrebo77
08-05-2008, 03:21 PM
The Tea is at the Garden View Lounge at the Grand Floridian. You pick you type of 'tea' depending on the offerings and $, some also come with a cocktail:marg: and all come with your choice of tea.
I travel solo myself and felt totally fine there.
There is also an ala carte menu.