PDA

View Full Version : Best thrill ride for novice rider?

Maleficent_vf
08-02-2008, 01:27 PM
Hi! :mickey:

I come from a family who have issues with motion sickness and fear of heights :sick:. Needless to say, roller coasters have never been high on the list of things to do. I, however, don't seem as plagued by these problems. I'd like to try out a thrill ride or two the next time I'm at WDW (no firm plans yet, but I'm hoping for January or February).

Does anyone have any suggestions for the best one :coaster: for a first timer? I was thinking of Big Thunder Mountain. (If you don't think of that as a thrill ride, you'll see what timid riders I travel with.)

Thanks!
Amy

Donald Duck Rules
08-02-2008, 01:34 PM
I would say Expeditition Everest is the best of them all.

Any of the three WDW mountains are good...Space, Thunder and Splash.

Thunder is very fun not too many dips.
Space is not much of a coaster but the darkness makes it a hoot.
Splash is the largest flume drop around and has good dark ride elements from Song of the South

If you are weak in the stomach stay away from Tower of Terror and Rock N Roller in Disney Studios

PittFan
08-02-2008, 01:45 PM
I'd suggest SOARIN' ... my mother is deathly afraid of heights but she loved this ride. :thumbsup:

AmandaChan
08-02-2008, 01:54 PM
Big Thunder Mountain - This ride is somewhat intense, kind of, but in a really fun way. I have problems with motion sickness too and I've never really had an issue with he coasters.

Splash Mountain - the only part of it that is intense at all is the drop. Actually, I think this ride is CRUEL because leading up to the drop is a fun animatronic ride with characters singing uplifting songs then WHAM.

Space Mountain is not scary but it kind of freaks me out sometimes -- I always think my head is going hit something because it's so dark and I always feel like I'm too big for the coaster as an adult.

Everest is probably the most 'thrilly' but it's not jerky and painful. It's really fun, if your family has serious issues with motion sickness this is one that they probably shouldn't ride.

NOW Mission: Space really messed me up. We rode it 3 years ago and it was so freaking intense I really thought I was going to have to use the barf bag supplied. I hear that they have since calmed it down (my husband rode it last time without me because I was too chicken) so maybe it's not so bad anymore. Plus they have a less intense and a more intense version so maybe your family can ride the less intense team.

Tip: Take advantage of the fastpasses so your family doesn't have to wait too long for you to get off of the rides.

Pop Centurion
08-02-2008, 01:54 PM
Big Thunder is a good choice for novice or first time riders. It's a mild coaster IMO.

dumbo ears
08-02-2008, 02:00 PM
id say any mountain is a good choice. none of them are very scary and defintely big thunder mountain is a great ride and my favorite one to do at night. also primevil whirl and maelstorm are good

Kairi_7378
08-02-2008, 02:32 PM
I'd recommend Barnstormer or Big Thunder Mountain. Barnstormer is meant to be an intro coaster for kids but it is a fun little ride. Big Thunder Mountain is nicely themed and great for a first time coaster experience.

SpecJoe Magic
08-02-2008, 03:54 PM
I think that Test Track is a very mild thrill ride. It's not a roller coaster, so it doesn't have any large drops. One section of it is fast, but it's also smooth.

Big Thunder Mountain is a mild roller coaster. There is only one drop that is fairly large, but it's over very quickly. There is also one large curve. Ride it during the day and towards the front of the train for a less intense experience.

Splash Mountain is a slow-moving ride with the exception of the drops. There are four significant drops, but only two of them are large. They don't last long, so if you can deal with them, the rest of the ride is no problem.

CAS
08-02-2008, 04:46 PM
If it's just motion sickness then the only rides that may bother you are Expedition, Rockin Roller and Mission Space: Expedition because of the backward motion, RnR because of the upside down elements and Space because of the obvious. Any motion problems at all and Space will be the last ride of your day. :sick: Otherwise everything is fairly straight and non-dizzying. If you don't like drops then stay away from Splash and Tower of Terror.

Meteora
08-03-2008, 02:33 PM
I think Big Thunder Mountain would be a good one. I'm in the same sort of situation--I did my first roller coaster at age 15ish, and I went with Splash. And it was a shock to the system, because, as it turns out, I don't like drops. :blush: I wish I had started with Big Thunder, because I would have been less reluctant to go on anything else fast-moving afterwards.

LoriMistress
08-03-2008, 04:58 PM
BTMRR, SM, & SpM are great first timer rides. After mastering those, then try EE.

azdisneymom
08-03-2008, 08:13 PM
I would suggest Big Thunder. I tend to get a bit motion sick on Everest (doesn't stop me though) and Space Mountain. I think the fact that most of the ride is out in the open rather than 'dark' helps.

Soarin is another good ride. Keep in mind you are just sitting. It is Disney and they are not going to design a ride that you can fall out of. The first row (closest to the screen) goes up the highest and the third row (farthest from the screen) is the lowest. If you have issues with height ask the CM to sit in the third row.

Best wishes for a fun trip.

Mickey91
08-03-2008, 09:05 PM
You may want to give Goofy's Barn Stormer a try first.

GrmGrninGost
08-03-2008, 10:32 PM
I would start with the Barnstormer in ToonTown, then go to Big Thunder! :coaster:

GhostHost999
08-04-2008, 12:32 AM
I would say do Big Thunder Mountain first. Space Mountain is ok for beginners but the whole, being in the dark thing weirds some folks out. Thunder Mountain is a fun ride without any ridiculous drops or overly wicked surprises. You should have a blast. :mickey:

RBrooksC
08-04-2008, 08:37 AM
I would say start with BTMR. That ride is all curves and short drops. It gives a full exciting ride but isn't too extreme.

I would then graduate to SM. This is just an old fashioned "wild mouse" style coaster. It goes no more than twenty eight miles per hour. The quick drops and curves, plus the darkened room makes it seem more intense than it actually is. Also, the theming is great and not to be missed. It does go with the retro future look of Tomorrowland.

I wouldn't really say that Splash Mountain is a thrill ride. It is a regular log flume with a great theme. I rode the flume with a five year old and he LOVED IT!!!

I would also suggest ToT. I know, it looks daunting and scary but the last few years I have rode it without holding on due to how smooth the ride is. You are in the dark, and gravity is not involved in the ride. This is NOT a drop ride. The car is moved up and down the shaft by mechanical means. Also, being in the dark, the scare factor is diminished and the brief view of the park one gets is great.

I rode the ride last year next to a father and daughter. The daughter was around eight or ten. She was a little scared and I talked to her a little bit. She asked if it was a scary ride. I told her what I said above in a slightly different way and said, just relax and enjoy it.

When we were done I asked how she liked it and she had this wide-eyed look of a child that just discovered something great. She told me she loved it and couldn't wait to ride it again.

Imagineer1981
08-04-2008, 12:06 PM
I'd recommend Barnstormer or Big Thunder Mountain. Barnstormer is meant to be an intro coaster for kids but it is a fun little ride. Big Thunder Mountain is nicely themed and great for a first time coaster experience.

I agree with Barnstormer but Big Thunder is not an easy coaster...it has lots of turns and twists and I would not recommend it for a starter

RBrooksC
08-04-2008, 12:22 PM
I agree with Barnstormer but Big Thunder is not an easy coaster...it has lots of turns and twists and I would not recommend it for a starter

Well, I would disagree. BTMR could be considered a junior coaster in other parks. Also, it is the only roller coaster my wife, who hates any type of thrill ride, will ride.

MushuGrl
08-04-2008, 12:55 PM
Last year was the first time I did any thrill rides at all. I started out with BTMR. The big thing on it is 1) speed and 2) hairpin turns.

If you can handle that, run, don't walk, to EE.

(Well..take a bus. Just heckle the driver to go faster.)

bruin1344
08-04-2008, 01:17 PM
thunder mountain and soarin for starts, those 2 are tame, some people are bugged by the large drop on splash mountain or dark fast space mountain

Tygger7
08-04-2008, 01:29 PM
My first coaster ever was Space Mountain and I LOVED it. There are no big drops, so it's a great starter coaster. Equally fun is BTMRR...again, I LOVE this ride. It's even more fun to ride at night while the fireworks are going off. :cloud9: There are no big drops on BMTRR either, and I can do this one without any trouble.

It took me YEARS to get up the nerve to do Splash Mountain, but I finally did it in May. The drop wasn't my favorite part of the ride, but it's worth enduring that to experience the rest of the ride.

If you do okay with those, then try Expedition Everest. I DETEST heights, but as long as I stare at my feet during the ascent, I'm fine. This ride is soooo much fun! The drop doesn't bother me nearly as bad as Splash, mainly because of how it banks at the bottom of the hill. Very smooth, and the yeti is awesome!

I've done RnRR before, but passed it up on our last trip. This will sound weird, but I love everything but the launch. I had trouble breathing for 2 days and had chest pains so I decided it just wasn't worth it for me. I did much better and was able to enjoy all the other rides more since I wasn't feeling ****** from RnRR. :D

Best of luck to you on your first coasters!!

Disney fans..
08-04-2008, 01:46 PM
I am absolutley terrified of heights but I love Big Thunder Railroad...it is so much fun. This will be our 3rd year going and I think I will try Space Mountian and Splash Mountian.....I am even thinking of Tower of Terror..maybe.

SandmanGStefani24
08-05-2008, 12:40 AM
thunder mntn is a great choice because it gives you a nice rush, but isn't too tough.

also, i'd recommend Space Mountain, not only because it's my favorite, but because it's in the dark. most of the anguish of a ride is your expectations of what it may be. not knowing what's about to happen makes it easier :D.
plus, it isn't that rough...lotsa fun!

BandMan
08-05-2008, 01:51 PM
I think it depends on what keeps you off conventional coasters. I don't have a fear of heights, but I get really :sick: with fast drops and/or weightless feeling. (I have to take Dramamine for the airplane ride or I :ack: when we land.)

Having said that, I can do any ride in Disney except ToT; that one has just too many drops for me. I LOVE BTMRR. I remember riding it the first time and just laughing at the speed, the twists and turns. Plus it has really interesting theming.

I'd start with that, and if you're good, most others shouldn't be a problem.

Mousemates
08-05-2008, 02:55 PM
I'd go with Splash mountain for my first thrill....number one its really just got one big drop (which by drop standards of rides at other parks is kind of mild). Number two because the theming of the ride and the views from the outside portions of the ride are some of the best at WDW...it really is a ride not to be missed...so if there were a chance I might only do one thrill ride, I do that one.

Nurse Kim
08-05-2008, 08:28 PM
I think it depends on what keeps you off conventional coasters. I don't have a fear of heights, but I get really :sick: with fast drops and/or weightless feeling. (I have to take Dramamine for the airplane ride or I :ack: when we land.)

Having said that, I can do any ride in Disney except ToT; that one has just too many drops for me. I LOVE BTMRR. I remember riding it the first time and just laughing at the speed, the twists and turns. Plus it has really interesting theming.

I'd start with that, and if you're good, most others shouldn't be a problem.

I am the same way. I hate that feeling of my stomach dropping. I didn't consider Splash Mt a coaster but it was the first one I rode at Disney. I also then rode BTMRR and believe me when it comes to coasters I am like a 2 year old. Believe it or not I also rode EE. I kept trying to find a chicken exit but my girls wanted me to ride this with them and I just sucked it up. I figured how bad can it be. LOL it will only last a couple minutes. This ride was awesome. I loved it. There is no way I would ever get on TOT or RnRC but that's just me. I am planning to try Space Mountain and hope I don't regret it. :confused:

Faver
08-05-2008, 09:39 PM
I'd go with Big Thunder, Soarin', Space Mountain, Maelstom ( has a cute little dip at the end), Backstage Tour (unexpected surprises near the end).

Have fun:mickey:

Meteora
08-06-2008, 03:00 PM
I am the same way. I hate that feeling of my stomach dropping. I didn't consider Splash Mt a coaster but it was the first one I rode at Disney. I also then rode BTMRR and believe me when it comes to coasters I am like a 2 year old. Believe it or not I also rode EE. I kept trying to find a chicken exit but my girls wanted me to ride this with them and I just sucked it up. I figured how bad can it be. LOL it will only last a couple minutes. This ride was awesome. I loved it. There is no way I would ever get on TOT or RnRC but that's just me. I am planning to try Space Mountain and hope I don't regret it. :confused:

Nurse Kim, please let me know how that goes for you. I hate the stomach-dropping feeling also, but my sister is trying to get me to try some new roller coasters in spite of it. I've already promised her Everest on our next trip--I'm hoping the fun will overpower the drop. ;)