PDA

View Full Version : splash mountain

motherof4
08-01-2008, 07:55 PM
I have been to Disney many times everytime I go to magic kingdom I promise my children and my husband I will try splash mountain I have never been on any roller coasters or any big drops on any rides and I think I will do it and then I get in line and turn around I hear it's alot of fun but I am so chicken. any advise or opinions on this ride. thanks

special k
08-01-2008, 08:04 PM
You MUST ride Splash Mountain. Just my humble opinion, but it might be the best all around Disney ride ever created. It has everything. Great story line, great effects, characters, theme, and adventure. The ride is very well paced and the only truly frightening part is the drop at the end. I think you will find it more "fun" than terrifying, however. The drop looks worse than it is.

I'd say give it a shot. I really don't think you'll regret it. I'm not a big roller coaster guy and I enjoy it immensely. :mickey:

Plus if you hate it you never have to go again, eh? :thumbsup:

DestinationWDW
08-01-2008, 08:38 PM
We got my 60 year old mother on it 2 Christmas's is ago and she loved it. The drop is long but mild, and it really doesn't tickel your stomach. She had a blast. Good luck with your next attempt.

sisterslovindisney
08-01-2008, 09:51 PM
The drop really isn't any problem.I don't even think the seats have lap belts. That should show how easy the drop is. I am very afraid of heights and won't go on typical amusement park coasters but I go on everything at disney. Have fun!

Mousemates
08-01-2008, 10:04 PM
The drop on SM looks far more ominous than it reaaly is...I'm not saying its little, but the fact that the ride has no belts is a serious clue about the lack of danger. And the rest of the ride is pure disney magic....give it a try, and I bet you'll be hooked.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
08-01-2008, 10:48 PM
I'm not big on rollercoasters either but this is my favorite ride at Disney. A friend of mine took pictures on the ride and it just looked so darn cute I had to ride it. And as they say, the rest was history! I can't imagine not riding it now.
And there aren't any lap bars or seat belts so there really isn't anything to worry about. The big drop is over so quickly you don't notice it.

BoricuaBell
08-01-2008, 10:57 PM
I was always afraid of high drops in any ride, but then I discovered a trick that works for me. You must be really brave to try this. When you are going on the drop, raise your hands up in the air and sit as you normally do, I mean no slouching. This was hard for me 'cause when the drop comes, I always crawl into a little ball or grab whoever is next to me in fear. As your body is in the drop, you feel it less. It's true! Maybe it has something to do with the wind resistance you are creating...I don't know. All I know is it will make the fall much better. After you do it once, you won't be scared again. And by the way, the ride is great!

dizknee531
08-01-2008, 11:00 PM
The drop makes your stomach drop!! But it's alot of fun, a really long ride and so cute. A must do!!:number1:

OogieBoogieMan
08-01-2008, 11:20 PM
One of the best rides at Disney and a long one to boot. There is just so much going on throughout this ride you can hit it a dozen times and still enjoy it. The last drop looks worse then it feels, it is over in a flash. Our oldest has high functioning autism and doesn't go much for loud rides or thrill rides. We worked with him a bit to get on this one and he loved it. Give it a shot.

CaptSmee
08-01-2008, 11:56 PM
Splash Mountain is much more fun than scary. However, I have been on the ride when some lady jumped out of the ride log just before it was about to climb the big hill....it was ridiculous! We waited almost 20 minutes for them to evacuate her and finish! So...is it a big drop, yes...if that frightens you do us all a favor and close your eyes! There certainly is nothing to be frightened of, after all it's Disney!:mickey:

dsnyfan001
08-02-2008, 09:09 AM
Hi! Please Please try to ride SPLASH MOUNTAIN!!!! The drop looks way worse than actually going down it. Its so much fun, and has to be one of the best rides ever made! Disney wouldnt make a ride with a steep drop so kids couldnt ride it. That drop is fun! lol I dont feel anything going down it, Actually I look for the camera so I can make funny faces on it! Just try it you will see! Good luck and let us know when you ride!!!

Tygger7
08-02-2008, 09:45 AM
I've always been terrified of Splash Mountain, but under pressue from my DH and DD15, I rode it on our last trip. I hate heights and roller coasters in general, but I'll ride everything at WDW but Tower of Terror. Splash wasn't bad at all....it wasn't nearly as scary as it looks, and I really enjoyed it. I just closed my eyes and held on for dear life. :D The final drop is such a small part of the ride so don't let that keep you from trying it.

I don't know if you've done Space Mountain or Big Thunder Mountain RR, but those are great "warm-up" rides. There are NO big drops on either of these and if you really have a fear of coasters I'd definitely start with these. It will make it a lot easier to build up some courage & confidence....at least it does for me.

Good luck!!

RALPH
08-02-2008, 10:20 AM
I hope for your sake you work up the courage to try SM. My DW would not ride it for the first 8 years we went. She hates log flumes!!!! At Hershey Park she would only ride tiny timbers the little kids flume and hated that!

Then she got brave and tried SM. Well, lets say she felt a lot like the rest of us when we confront our fears. They are worse than the reality. I hate coasters and will not do anything with drops. SM is a piece of cake.

My then 68 yr old MIL did it and liked it and would ride it again!

PS, I close my eyes on the drop, I can't help it, but no stomach tickling sensations are felt.

mouselover93
08-02-2008, 10:39 AM
it's excellent i use to be afraid of it and wouldnt even go on with my family ( 4 people plus me ) but know i love it and even go on by myself. you will love it

RBrooksC
08-02-2008, 11:08 AM
I rode the ride with a five year old and he LOVED it. He was scared but we convined him it was fun. He loved it so much that he did a dance after the drop and moved his head so hard that when it connected with my eye I had a shiner. We had to ride it a couple of more times because he loved it so much.

I think if a scared five year old can do it, anybody can.

Daddy Mouse
08-02-2008, 11:34 AM
Try going down a hill in a convertible. If you can do that you can easily do SM. :thumbsup:

dumbo ears
08-02-2008, 12:12 PM
I think the draw for me to splash mountain is not the drops but the music and the characters. the drops arent very big and the last one has a great view so its definetely worth riding

disneyfankev
08-02-2008, 12:44 PM
my wife is afraid of coasters and likes sm. ride it in the daytime first and if able try it at night.

Pop Centurion
08-02-2008, 02:03 PM
I have fear issues with certain rides and would not get on Splash Mountain my first two trips to WDW. After finally riding it I was hooked. This is a must experience ride for the visuals and music. The drop at the end is the icing on the cake and not as intense as it looks. I hope you find the courage to do it this time. You won't regret it.

Dickson Thunder
08-02-2008, 03:39 PM
Although we enjoy all the rides at WDW, Splash Mountain is the best and probaby is the main reason we go. My DD (18) wants to ride it at
least 5 or 6 times each time we go with no objection from DW or myself.

:cool:

elmjimmlm
08-02-2008, 03:42 PM
From one :chicken: to another :welcome:...I too am scared of most of the rides but SM is one of my favorites...The drop is scary but for some reason I love it...Everyone tells me to try the ride to see if I will like it but I cant bring myself to ride any of the others...The theme of SM is worth the try...Let me know how you do with it...
I am hoping that I will brave some of the others that I want to ride but just cant...EE is the one I really want to ride but when I see it up close I change my mind...:blush:

joonyer
08-05-2008, 03:08 PM
Splash Mountain; far and away the best overall attraction in all of WDW. That's why it's the most popular ride there. Try it, you'll love it.

jenny1976
08-05-2008, 04:27 PM
I was also planning to try this for the first time in 45 days when we go...Thanx for making it much easier, I am not scared anymore...:muscles:
45 days to go!!!!!!!!!!:cloud9:

bruin1344
08-06-2008, 01:23 PM
the big drop is a quick few seconds, it so insignificant for such a great ride