PDA

View Full Version : Soarin' Quality

letsdoitagain
08-01-2008, 03:30 PM
I have read on intercot that the film quality on Soarin' is not so good. I have never been on this attraction. Is it worth it when the film quality is substandard?

robnadina
08-01-2008, 03:40 PM
It is worth it if its your first time. You only notice the film quality if you have rode it several times. Regardless of how the film plays, this is a great ride! It is a must everytime we go to CA and we never get tired of it. Hope you have a great trip!

Dawnya
08-01-2008, 04:19 PM
Oh yes, it is worth it! We have ridden it several times, and it is still one of our favorites.

AmandaChan
08-01-2008, 04:34 PM
We've rode this a total of .. 3 times, and the idea of the quality not being good never popped into my head. If that tells you anything.

:beaker:

SpecJoe Magic
08-01-2008, 04:40 PM
The film quality does seem to have gotten a little worse over time, but it was still in good enough shape when I rode it in May to not detract from the experience. It's definitely worth a visit if you've never ridden it. I think you'll be impressed by it.

GrumpyFan
08-01-2008, 05:13 PM
Rode it in June and it was fine. The quality isn't really the issue.
I think what's being referred to here is some of the little specks, bugs, and other items that apparently made onto the original reel when it was filmed. Depending on where you sit, and where your eyes are focused, these things sometimes can be annoying, especially if you're a geeky type who is used to the Bluray HD home theatre experience.
It's not so bad to the point of making it unwatchable though. So, go ride and enjoy.

GrmGrninGost
08-01-2008, 07:00 PM
Soarin' may well be the best ride at WDW. The film could use a little cleaning up, but the ride is no less than great as is! :mickey:

CleveRocks
08-01-2008, 07:26 PM
Soarin' opened in May 2005. I first rode it in November 2006 and the poor quality of the images ("dirt," etc.) distracted me the very first time I rode it ... and I hadn't read anyone else's comments about it before that time.

It was a distraction. I noticed it. I was disappointed ...

... and then I got another FASTPASS for it and rode again 2 hours later!!! So you can see how much it affected my overall opinion of it.

PittFan
08-01-2008, 10:53 PM
Definitely my favorite attraction !!! A must see ... at LEAST once. :number1:

dizknee531
08-01-2008, 11:02 PM
Fastpass it and enjoy!! Definitely worth it, despite the film quality.:thumbsup:

Imagineer1981
08-01-2008, 11:53 PM
Soarin' may well be the best ride at WDW. The film could use a little cleaning up, but the ride is no less than great as is! :mickey:

gotta disagree about it being the best, but its worth riding once if you have FP...if its 65 minute wait...skip it

joelkfla
08-02-2008, 12:23 AM
I still hear lots of comments from guests on my buses that it's amazing, or the best ride ever.

LizLovesDiz
08-02-2008, 12:44 AM
It's a great ride,don't miss it !! The quality was not that bad when I was there last!

Vito
08-02-2008, 03:42 AM
I really love Soarin - I've never ridden it at WDW, but I've ridden it several times at DL over the past few years, and never noticed anything about the film that detracts from the experience. I mean, it's not like watching a crisp Blu-Ray on a brand new HDTV, but you have to realize just how HUGE that screen is.

The special format of the movie is probably what makes it difficult to use a higher quality of projection, but I am somewhat surprised that they don't have some digital method of projection. I imagine that eventually once the technology gets there they'll install a digital system so the film quality won't ever be an issue.

Again, I've never noticed a problem with the film quality at DL, and Soarin at DL has been there much much longer than at WDW.

But anyway, Soarin is a must-see in my opinion. It's the best flight/simulator attraction I've ever been on. There are times where you really feel like you're flying, times where you want to lift your feet up, etc. It's really impressive, and if you haven't seen it, you definitely have to, but that's just my opinion.

dephenn
08-02-2008, 06:58 AM
I have notice the film's flaws, but still enjoy this ride. It is one of my families favorites. I would recommend this ride.

Gottaluvgoof
08-02-2008, 08:30 AM
I guess I enjoy it too much to notice any flaws. I have ridden it at least 10 times, and have loved each and every ride. It is definitely a favorite of my family. Soarin is a must!

Wells
08-02-2008, 08:48 AM
....especially if you're a geeky type who is used to the Bluray HD home theatre experience.

Actually, the film has much greater resolution than HD....they just need to clean or replace it more often......

kbean
08-02-2008, 04:40 PM
I never noticed any poor quality. It's worth a ride or two.

pokci
08-02-2008, 04:47 PM
:thumbsup:

As you breathe in the citrus scent, and the cool crisp air of the mountains and feel the breeze blow gently upon your face, nothing will detract from this experience. In "real" life nature is nature - speckled and sometimes blurry and here and there a bug or two. Immerse yourself and just enjoy it for the experience and don't dissect it as a ride!

Altair
08-02-2008, 05:09 PM
:thumbsup:

nothing will detract from this experience.

Except for the feet dangling in front of you. This is a very over rated attraction.:(

Vito
08-02-2008, 10:55 PM
Except for the feet dangling in front of you. This is a very over rated attraction.:(Ask to be seated in the front row, in the center section. They'll do it for you!

Mickey91
08-02-2008, 11:18 PM
It is by far my favorite ride at EPCOT. It also tops anything at DHS and AK.

SurferStitch
08-04-2008, 06:47 AM
It's a great attraction, but the last time we rode it (May '08), there were large black scratches/streaks running from the top to the bottom of the frame. They appeared for about 5 seconds every time the scene changed in the movie.

It was very noticeable, and very annoying.

Vito
08-04-2008, 07:46 AM
It's a great attraction, but the last time we rode it (May '08), there were large black scratches/streaks running from the top to the bottom of the frame. They appeared for about 5 seconds every time the scene changed in the movie.

It was very noticeable, and very annoying.That's so strange. I've ridden Soarin at DCA on three separate trips ('05, '06, '07), and never noticed anything like that. It's odd how Soarin at Epcot could have this kind of problem, and that they'd let it go without making a new print of the film.

Little Round Bale
08-04-2008, 08:37 AM
Just returned from WDW yesterday. I love soaring but I am surprised at the quality of the film but as stated before I think it may be the format of the film. I would not be surprized it that changes in the future. I also believe that in the near future the ride will be refurbished and the blemishes on the screen itself fixed.

Love the orange smell.....

bruin1344
08-04-2008, 01:28 PM
soarin is great ride, never noticed problem w/quality, my only negative about it is the long wait

aurorafan
08-04-2008, 02:29 PM
I rode it for the first time in Oct. (twice) and didn't notice anything. Rode it again in Feb. (twice again) and noticed a little bit, but it didn't detract from the experience at all--still loved it ;). Rode it again in June (twice yet again) and didn't notice anything and commented yet again that it's my favorite ride in all of WDW! :thumbsup: