PDA

View Full Version : RATS! All is not well :(

alphamommy
07-31-2008, 02:39 PM
:(
I just got home from my doctor appointment, and things were not good.

I have something on the left side of my brain, very near the surface, that wasn't there in January. They can't be sure until it's out, but the guess is that it's cancer. Again. ARG!

The neurosurgeon (a new one again - he's #3) says that it's only about 1/4 inch into the surface of the brain, and that it should be easily removed. They will do the same ear-to-ear incision that I've had before, take out my forehead "access panel", and remove the thing. He's pretty confident that it won't be too difficult. His biggest worry is how my head will heal. Since the skin has been cut so many times, it may be a challenge to get it to heal again. They may do some sort of local skin flap graft to make sure things go back together as they should. While I'm under, they will also remove a benign cyst that's apparently been in my left sinus for some time. They think that will help with my almost constant sinus drainage.

Before the surgery, I have to have something called a "stealth MRI". Apparently this can be used in some way to guide the tools they use during the surgery. I hope to get more detail on this when I go back for pre-op (not scheduled yet). The MRI is August 20.

I won't know if I have to have radiation again until they get it out and send it for pathology.

I have a very tenative surgery date of September 3. We're basically waiting for the neuro guy's secretary to confirm it with him.

What really stinks is that we're leaving for vacation on Saturday. I'm not in much of a vacationing mood at the moment. I told them that I was going to spend the next two weeks eating nothing but chocolate! I'm exagerating - I may throw in some macaroni and cheese, too!

The thing I just have to keep reminding myself is that it could be a lot worse. I trust my doctors so much, and know that I will have lots of prayers following me into the operating room. I think my docs felt about as bad about the whole thing as I did.

Thanks for listening.

WDWFanatic
07-31-2008, 02:45 PM
oh Tammy! I am so sorry that you will be going through all this again. Please know you will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Try to enjoy your vacation. Along with the chocolate and mac and cheese, throw in some chips! You want a well rounded meal.

Best of luck.

Jen C.
07-31-2008, 02:56 PM
I'm so sorry to read the news. You will be in my thoughts and prayers. I wish you the best time on vacation.
Your positive spirit should be a lesson to us all. God Bless.:)

jrkcr
07-31-2008, 03:14 PM
Well that STINKS! I'm loading up my pickup truck with pixie dust for you!! :truck::pixie:

Also,(and I know this from experience) if you're gonna OD on chocolate, at least have Godiva. After all, you're worth it! ;)

:hug:

MNNHFLTX
07-31-2008, 03:35 PM
I can only imagine how hard it must be to head off on vacation with such a distressing situation hanging over your head, Tammy. :(

Many prayers and :pixie: that you are able to relax and enjoy your time at WDW despite it all, and that your tests and surgery go well. Keep us update on how things are going!

Mousemates
07-31-2008, 03:38 PM
Sorry to hear the bad report...will be praying for you.

MississippiDisneyFreak
07-31-2008, 03:39 PM
:pixie: Here's some pixie dust and prayers for you.....

crazypoohbear
07-31-2008, 03:55 PM
I'm so sorry that you got this diagnosis again :(
Sending lots of pixie dust that the surgery goes well and that you are able to enjoy your vacation. :pixie::pixie::pixie::pixie::pixie::hug::hug:

DisneyWhirled
07-31-2008, 03:57 PM
I'm so sorry to hear the news, Tammy. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

Have a wonderful vacation, and I will send some Pixie Dust your way so that you can enjoy it without worry (I know that will be very hard, buy you deserve a wonderful vacation!)

Please take care of yourself, and eat all the chocolate, mac and cheese, and chips you want. I second the Godiva, although Lindt chocolate is pretty good, too.

Take care!!

DizNee143
07-31-2008, 04:12 PM
i am sooo sorry about the news you got today!!
i hope all goes well...
and maybe your mood will change about going on vacation..
you can get your mind off things for alittle while..

RedSoxFan
07-31-2008, 04:14 PM
Tammy --- so sorry to hear this. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

Beast_fanatic
07-31-2008, 05:17 PM
Tammy, I'm very sorry to hear your news. Loads of :pixie: on the way to you! Keep your faith in your doctors and try to enjoy your vacation! :hug:

Dsnygirl
07-31-2008, 05:46 PM
Tammy, I am so sorry to hear that you're having to go through this again, esp. finding out right before you're trip.

Thank goodness you have such good doctors and that the prognosis is good -- take that "with you" on your trip and try to have the best time ever... nothing like being at Disney to put everything else out of your mind, even for a little while.

Good luck with everything and be sure to keep us posted -- it sounds like even through your frustration, you have a really good attitude about it all... that is sure to help!

Sending you boatloads of :magic: and :pixie: for your health and for your trip... I hope it is magical.

ChipnDaleGal
07-31-2008, 07:07 PM
Tammy, I am so sorry that you got this news today. I was hoping it would all go well so you could celebrate and enjoy your vacation. Keep believing in your doctors, and I wish you all the best as you continue your battle with the evil C.

Sending you and your family lots of :pixie: and good thoughts.

MauiMouse
07-31-2008, 07:08 PM
Tammy, so sorry to hear that you will have to go through this all over again. I have a good friend who is going through this as well. But she didn't have to have surgery. She had/has a brain tumor, but they did chemo and she is responding very well. She lives in your neck of the woods, a little north in Holly, MI.

I do hope that you can enjoy your vacation. :pixie:

offwego
07-31-2008, 08:49 PM
Tammy I'm sorry to hear this. But the prayers will be following you on your vacation and not just into the operating room as we all hope you can enjoy this time with your family.

:pixie: that the appt.s and the surgery all go as smoothly as possible.

alphamommy
07-31-2008, 08:53 PM
Thanks for all the thoughts and pixie dust.

BTW, I only wish we were going to WDW. We're going to Smuggler's Notch in Vermont, by way of Niagara Falls and Cooperstown, NY (Baseball Hall of Fame, from my Bucket List). On the way home, we're going through Lake Placid, then on to Toronto for a couple days.

Tammy

dolphinmickey9170
07-31-2008, 09:56 PM
Tammy, I am so sorry to hear of this news. Please know you are in our thoughts and prayers for a speedy recovery. Try to relax and enjoy your vacation. Stay positive and laugh often. That's is THE BEST medicine!

Another vote for Godiva!

daparish
07-31-2008, 10:05 PM
I am so sorry. I will keep you and your family in my prayers. God Bless

Nut4DW
07-31-2008, 10:38 PM
Tammy - so sorry to hear about all you are going through. We will be keeping you in our prayers for a great vacation, successful surgery and speedy recovery.

I must concur that chocolate is the way to go - have all you want - you can have my share for the next couple of weeks.

God bless you Tammy.

Melanie
07-31-2008, 11:00 PM
Tammy, I'm very sorry to hear you didn't get better news. Your vacation actually sounds relaxing, so I hope you can enjoy and rest. :pixie: on the way for your battle ahead. Keep your spirits up!

mrsgaribaldi
08-01-2008, 08:24 AM
I'm so sorry for the bad news, I hope it's the best that it can be :pixie::pixie::pixie::pixie::pixie::pixie: I hope you have a great vacation too:mickey:

DISNEYLOVERS5
08-01-2008, 08:39 AM
HAve a great vacation and I will be praying for you.

conorsmom2000
08-01-2008, 09:16 AM
Tammy, I am so sorry to hear your news. :( Please know that you will be in my thoughts and prayers - tons of pixie dust headed your way!! :pixie::pixie::pixie:

judoma
08-01-2008, 12:46 PM
Hi Tammy,

I'm really sorry to hear that you are dealing with this yet again. I wish you all the love and health in the world. As hard as it may seem, please ENJOY YOUR VACATION. My thoughts and prayers are with you.;)

faline
08-01-2008, 12:52 PM
Tammy, I'm so sorry you need another surgery! Lots :pixie: and lots of :pixie: in hopes all goes well!

LauraleeH
08-01-2008, 12:58 PM
I'm so sorry you have to go through this, and I'm praying for you and your family.

buzznwoodysmom
08-01-2008, 02:49 PM
So sorry to hear the bad news. I hope you can truley enjoy your vacation. It may be just what you need to lift your spirits. Truckloads of :pixie: for a full and speedy recovery. Good luck with everything.

ElenitaB
08-01-2008, 07:24 PM
Tammy. so sorry you've gotten this news. Use that vacation and the chocolate and mac n' cheese to steel up for your next battle with the :thedolls: (nasty, hateful buggers that they are :mad:). Sure you don't want some mashed taters and fried chicken to go with that? I'd be glad to make you some! :hug:

Here's some chemo-laden :pixie: for you (just mixed up a new batch yesterday).

alphamommy
08-01-2008, 10:59 PM
Sure you don't want some mashed taters and fried chicken to go with that? I'd be glad to make you some! :hug:

:cloud9: I just asked my sister yesterday for some good, old-fashioned fried chicken "like Mama used to make." I haven't made it myself in years, but I hope she comes through with some for me!

ElenitaB
08-03-2008, 12:06 AM
Isn't it funny how sometimes when the going gets tough, the tough turn to comfort food? :blush:

PAYROLL PRINCESS
08-03-2008, 12:39 AM
Tammy, I'm so sorry to hear that you have to go through this again. I hope you can relax and enjoy your vacation though. Vermont is always beautiful no matter what time of year you go. Relax and enjoy yourself.