PDA

View Full Version : Little Girls in Princess Costumes in Late Aug?

LeeAnn
07-31-2008, 02:21 PM
We have dressed our little princess in princess costumes for the character meals and sometimes for the park. Many girls were dresses when we went in the past. However, this was never in Late August.

Do little girls get dressed in costume in Late August for Character Meals/Theme Parks?

coliemouse
07-31-2008, 02:35 PM
Absolutely! It's a lot hotter this time of year, so that might be a consideration -- maybe bring a change of clothes in case they get too hot -- but I've seen princess dresses all year round. They're in Disney! They might as well dress like it! :)

momofdisneyprincess
07-31-2008, 03:17 PM
We went to Disney the end of August last year and my DD5 dressed in shorts and a t shirt at the park. When it was time for her meal she just slipped her dress on over the outfit and took it off after the meal. She thought it was too hot to walk around in. I would definitely bring a change of clothes. There are also water areas where the kids can cool off so a change of clothes is a good idea for any day when it is hot.

Jasper
07-31-2008, 03:30 PM
:ditto:I would just also echo what everyone else has said and that yes, you do see kids in all kinds of costumes regardless of the time of year. The heat would be my biggest concern at the end of August but if you use common sense it should work. Also, if the child is going to be walking around the park in costume please consider two other things.

The first is a matter of safety for the child and that is to make sure that the costume is not so long that the child will trip on it. My wife owns a costume store and we constantly have to remind parents who think junior looks just so precious in their costume that junior also needs to be able to walk safely in their costume.

The second is for the sanity of all the rest of us around your lovely little child and consider carefully any accessories, like wands, pirate hooks, etc. These things in the hand of a small child can sometimes become weapons of major annoyance to others if not even actual physical danger to others. I realize most kids aren't trying to be annoying and aren't trying to smack others with their accessory but it does happen even with the most well behaved child.

Young@Heart
07-31-2008, 03:42 PM
My little Princess wanted a Jasmine costume for our Princess Storybook dinner at Akershus next week. Well, all the costumes seem so scratchy to me, I couldn't imagine her wearing it in the heat. :( So, I went to JoAnn's Fabrics, dragged out my machine, and sewed her a cotton Jasmine outfit, w/ shorter pants for the Aug. heat. :thumbsup: She won't be wearing it all day, but she can wear it for our late dinner, then keep it on while we walk around World Showcase.

For the other character meals, and most of our park days, I either made or bought custom outfits (mostly skirts and t-shirts) based on different characters. She has Jessie, Belle, Cinderella, and Alice. :mickey: They'll be more comfortable than the scratchy costume dresses, and should make for some great pictures!

LeeAnn
07-31-2008, 04:49 PM
Thanks for the info. I was wondering if the heat had a factor in dressing in costume. I think we'll do it for the character meal only.

She be cooler and the costume will last longer.

Thanks for the safety concerns. We always watch the lenghth of the dress. Most houses by me have steps and when treat-o-treating (for Halloween) the dress can get in the way w/ steps. Also we don't use those costume shoes. Don't know how anyone wants in those.

And we will be not bring any accessories. The dress alone takes up alot of space. I do always have concerns about kids w/ swords & wands. I was surprise they give they out @ CRT. I couldn't take them away since all the other kids had them (didn't want to be mean) and as soon as the lunch was over I told we were not allow to bring into the park. My kids were good w/ them but I don't want to take any changes.

Thanks.

Another thought... have 2 girls and 1 boy...

Do boys get dressed? I don't remember any boy costumes. Last time, he was pirate mickey. Don't want to use the same costume. Any suggestions?

mickeys_princess_mom
07-31-2008, 10:44 PM
Also we don't use those costume shoes. Don't know how anyone wants in those.
Good. I was just "fixing" (southern verb) to get on my :soapbox: about the shoes. We always see so many little princesses being carried by their exhausted dads cause they couldn't walk in their costume shoes any more!:mickey:
Maybe Aladdin for your son?

Gusgus
08-01-2008, 08:49 AM
I have been to Disney all times of the year (including the end of August) and I have always seen several princesses throughout the day. They always have a smile on their face from the attention they get from the park guests and CMs