PDA

View Full Version : How long will I be waiting in line in September?

MuchLovedMama
07-31-2008, 12:51 PM
I know nobody can say for sure but since I haven't been since 9/00 I was hoping for at least a good estimate from people that were there in September the past few years. I'm not curious about the smaller rides but am curious about Splash & Space Mountain, Everest, TOT, Soarin & rides like that. Am I overestimating if I say 30-40 mins waits or am I totally underestimating if I say 10-15 mins waits?

BTW our dates are 9/18-9/24. I know I'm probably way overplanning (my middle name should be planner) but with ADR's I'm just trying to figure out what areas to hit when & to make sure we have enough time. Thanks so much!

Imagineer1981
07-31-2008, 12:56 PM
Sept is generally a slow period. We didn't wait more than say 10-15 minutes last year around the same time for rides like EE and ToT...so I would say you will be safe with slower numbers

disneygeek84
07-31-2008, 01:00 PM
I'm glad you asked this question! I was about to post one similar and then I saw yours. We'll be there Sept 7th-13th and I was wondering how crowds would be on the bigger rides, too. I've heard because of the free dining that food places would be packed, but I'm fine with that...I was just wondering how much we would be needing to use FPs and all that. :mickey:

RBrooksC
07-31-2008, 01:05 PM
When we went last year, there were no super long lines.

With that being said, BTMR had a decent line and I used Fast Pass for that but I think the wait was 20 minutes.

Test Track was long also so I used the single rider line since my wife didn't want to ride. The worst line was Soar'n. That was due to the ride itself and I had to wait over 40 minutes to ride. However, the Fast Pass time was four hours, so I could handle the wait.

EE had a short line until the ride broke down and caused a delay of about 20 minutes. This caused the back of the line to build and caused the ride to have a long ride. Before the break down the ride wait was less than 20 minutes.

What you should find is that you will get through the rides a lot faster than you would during a peak season. While the parks closed earlier, I found myself getting to see more of things outside the park and taking my time to see the park details due to the small crowds.

RBrooksC
07-31-2008, 01:07 PM
I did forget to say, the restaurants were PACKED. If we didn't make ADR for all of our meals, we wouldn't have gotten a seat.

As it was, the only time we could get for Chef Mickey's was 7:05 AM. I don't think I have EVER eaten breakfast that early but it was all good because it got our day started earlier and I drank lots and lots of coffee.

PittFan
07-31-2008, 01:29 PM
We go to WDW in late Aug. or early Sept. and the average wait was about 10 - 15 min. Naturally, you're going to have some longer waits at the most popular attractions but we also experienced no wait at all a few times. Unfortunately, we were able to ride It's a Small World 3 times in a row without any wait ... :bang: ... thanks to my DW for this suggestion!

Going2HeavenRU
07-31-2008, 01:41 PM
Are the counter service resturants packed as well? I think I read a post that said it was very difficult to get anything to eat during the free dining.

RBrooksC
07-31-2008, 01:50 PM
Are the counter service resturants packed as well? I think I read a post that said it was very difficult to get anything to eat during the free dining.

As I said earlier, the restaurants were full when we went last September. We had limited choices due to the lateness of our planning. That was beyond our control so we had to get along with what was available.

I am not sure about counter service but I would think they are going to be busy as it is at other times of the year during your meal times. I would try to eat off time when you are there to avoid the crowds.

When I called to get ADRs, I was usually offered early or late times for different meals and I think I would opt for a later lunch if I could get it since I would rather eat a big breakfast and lunch and smaller dinner when on vacation unless I am having a nice dinner like at Artist Point or California Grill.

Itchy
07-31-2008, 02:00 PM
I have been to DW in late Aug & Early Sept
and the rides have had reasonably short wait time, but there are exceptions as noted in some of the earlier posts.

I would highly suggest whether you are on the DP or not to make ADR for you dinner meals.

I did not find any real problems with counter service meal as the lines moved very quickly ( except if you get behind a large family and they can not make up their minds what they want:mad:)

I will be there First Week of Sept and cant wait:mickey::cloud9:

Jen C.
07-31-2008, 02:11 PM
We have gone in Sept. the past several years. The week following Labor Day, up until the last week of the month, crowds were manageable. The longest wait was Soarin at 40 minutes. The restaurants, all of them, TS and CS were quite busy. You definitely need your ADR's for TS. The CS will have small lines and limited seating, but only if you choose the typical dining times. If you have lunch at 11 am as opposed to noon, the crowds will be considerably lighter.
The heat is bad, but the crowds are decent, so we continue to return in Sept. every year. have a great trip!:thumbsup:

MuchLovedMama
07-31-2008, 02:35 PM
Thanks for the comments. Keep them coming.

Yeah, I already have all my ADR's. I was just trying to figure out how long some of the major attractoins would take so I know that I'm not going to be late for my meals.

I know about the no waits for some rides because in 9/00 when we went we went on Kali River Rapids like 3-4 times without having to get off & we were drenched. It was fun though.

From what I've read in other posts & like the comments are stating here the CS will be pretty busy as well.

I can't wait. I'm SOOOOO excited!

TBY2225
07-31-2008, 02:38 PM
We have been the past 2 years the last week of September and will be back again this year. Crowds are low-moderate. I have seen 10-20 minutes on most attractions, but sometimes on weekends and peak times of day we would get 60 minutes are more for rides like Peter Pan, Space Mountain and 90t for Soarin. Still other than the heat it is a great time to go. Be prepared for LONG lines at CS places, It was a huge difference that time of year compared with times we have been when free dining wasn't going on. Also, be prepared to wait long waits or not get in at all at TS resturants without ADRS.

kakn7294
07-31-2008, 03:29 PM
In Sept '05, our average wait times were probably 10 - 30 min depending on the time of day and the attraction for those biggies. Our second weekend was busier (Hurricane Ophelia kept some locals away our first weekend with the constant threat of rain that never happened) with longer wait times. Of course, it always seems Soarin' has outrageous lines regardless of the time of year.

Mousemates
07-31-2008, 03:32 PM
Generally ...as others have said...fairly light to moderate crowds....we love to go that time of year, but with an eighth grader and sophomore in Hs (with sports, band etc)....our sept/oct trips have been put on hold and we now end up going during a very busy time of year...Christmas to New Years.

momofdisneyprincess
07-31-2008, 03:54 PM
We were there the very end of August/Beginning of September for free dining. Take advantage of FP. Soarin had a wait of over 90 mins along with Dumbo. Other than that, I dont' remember any wait longer than 45 minutes.

WinnipegDisneyFanatic
07-31-2008, 05:02 PM
We go to WDW in late Aug. or early Sept. and the average wait was about 10 - 15 min. Naturally, you're going to have some longer waits at the most popular attractions but we also experienced no wait at all a few times. Unfortunately, we were able to ride It's a Small World 3 times in a row without any wait ... :bang: ... thanks to my DW for this suggestion!

Too funny about IASW :D

Was this over the Labour Day weekend that the crowds were slow? I'm going from Thurs the 28th til Sept 1 (Mon.) and am hoping it's fairly quiet...

Chris :hatter:

pink
07-31-2008, 06:32 PM
I'm so glad someone made this thread, I've been meaning to but keep forgetting. I'm so happy to hear the lines are usually pretty short. :mickey:

RPHX2NC
07-31-2008, 07:01 PM
(Hurricane Ophelia kept some locals away our first never happened) .

We were there that week also. The weather was overcast and great.

We have traveled that same week in 2005, 2007, and now 2008. The longest ride was Soarin. All others were walk on. The longest wait for anything was for our ADRs we waited a long time to be seated in 2005. In 2007 that was much better but still longer than most attractions. You will have plenty of time to ride everything and still enjoy a sit down even with shorter park hours. It is a great time on year:secret:

Mandy Mouse
07-31-2008, 07:46 PM
I have also made the trip in September and it is a great time to visit the world! It is an "offseason" time but it is getting a little crazier every year with the free dining plan. Most lines are very short 10-20 but I did wait in a few 45 minute lines for attractions like TOT. Just take advantage of the FP and you will have a great time. I wouldn't stress too much about the counter service meals, I never noticied how busy they were. Then again I was never hungry because I felt like we were eating left and right with the DDP. :mickey:

disneykid99
08-01-2008, 07:51 AM
We have gone during the same week in Sept. for the past couple of years. We have had similar experiences to the other posters. We walked on many rides or had waits that were less then 10min. Most of the time when it said 10min we were pleasantly surprised when the line did not stop moving. We used fast passes on any rides over a 20min wait. We think the lines are very manageable.

We try to combat the crowded restaurants by having ADR's and by eating at CS earlier or later than most people eat their meals. Not sure if eating at off times helped or not :mickey:

PittFan
08-01-2008, 11:24 AM
[QUOTE=WinnipegDisneyFanatic;1703264]Too funny about IASW :D

Was this over the Labour Day weekend that the crowds were slow? I'm going from Thurs the 28th til Sept 1 (Mon.) and am hoping it's fairly quiet...

Chris :hatter:[/QUO

Yes, this was Labor Day weekend, although we left for home on Sunday, we didn't get monday in.

KAJUNKING
08-01-2008, 12:10 PM
this will be our third year in a row going in sept for free dining, we love this time of year, alot of attractions are walk on, some of the bigger attractions will have small waits, the worst will probably be soarin and toy story mania