PDA

View Full Version : Rudest Treatment Ever Seen By Guest Toward CM

MississippiDisneyFreak
07-30-2008, 04:55 PM
I'm sure all the castmembers can pitch in their stories on this question...we've all commented on rude behavior of CM towards guests and guests towards other guests, but what is the rudest treatment you've ever seen at the hands of a guest toward a Cast Member?

Here's mine: I was browsing in the gift shop in the French Pavilion and they had an area where you could buy a glass of wine...they had like 4 different ones you could choose from....one CM asked another to watch the register and wait on customers while he took a quick restroom break....the castmember going to the restroom spoke English very well, but you could tell the young lady watching the counter for him had a bit of problems with the English language but she couldn't have been more than 21-she was cute as a bug with a huge smile plastered on her face...a man came up with kids in tow and asked what wine was available to sample...she indicated the bottles on the counter and said these white or red...he asked if she had some specific brand and she had a bit of a puzzled look on her face and she once again indicated the bottles on the counter and said these, white or red...he once again asked for a specific wine not on the counter but he yelled at her this time, once again with a puzzled look and near tears, she indicated the ones on the counter....He yelled forget it, turned around and started to storm out, one of his kids said "What's the matter Daddy?" and he said just that she's "Very Typical French"...I was so mad and about that time the other cast member came in and she relayed the story (I'm assuming) in French....this of course made him in a foul mood and when I went to check out I started to comment on the other customers rude behavior but was afraid of embarassing the young lady....it kind of ruined the rest of my afternoon though...

CaptainJessicaSparrow
07-30-2008, 05:54 PM
As a CM, I've got a few from personal experience, including having a Guest raise their hand to me. I've been pushed, shoved, elbowed, screamed at, yelled at, cussed at, had stuff thrown at me....

Guest get really rude, especially during parade times, holidays, fireworks, park closing.

slegrant
07-30-2008, 06:03 PM
Wow! That's terrible that you have encountered such rude behavior. I am a Huge Disney fan and I have seen a few guest get angry and I don't get it. This is such a happy place and Disney does so much for its guest. Hope you don't have anymore run ins! I know you won't have any problems with us!:mickey:

dephenn
07-30-2008, 06:06 PM
I really wish you had spoken up for her. I'm not sure how letting the other CM now what had transpired would have embarrassed the young lady. It would have more likely shown her that not all Americans are rude or hot tempered. It probably would have brought back that nice smile you said she had.

Stich8818
07-30-2008, 06:28 PM
As a CM, I've got a few from personal experience, including having a Guest raise their hand to me. I've been pushed, shoved, elbowed, screamed at, yelled at, cussed at, had stuff thrown at me....

Guest get really rude, especially during parade times, holidays, fireworks, park closing.

Why?! Why?! I jsut dont get why you would have to act this way as described by Jessica here...Why would you feel the need to push a castmember?... I mean if you are having a bad time it's your fault not thiers..

Here is a good quesiton..How would they feel if you came to their job and started doing the things listed above...

GrumpyFan
07-30-2008, 06:31 PM
It's really sad to see adults behaving like spoiled rotten, bratty little children, especially in front of impressionable children. Because, history has a way of repeating itself, and that child will most likely grow up to be just like their parents.

CaptainJessicaSparrow
07-30-2008, 07:33 PM
Why?! Why?! I jsut dont get why you would have to act this way as described by Jessica here...Why would you feel the need to push a castmember?... I mean if you are having a bad time it's your fault not thiers..

Here is a good quesiton..How would they feel if you came to their job and started doing the things listed above...

Pushing - results from closing lines for rides due to closing, character meetings, or shop closings.

I remember being on doors one night for MNSSHP and a guest with a stroller wanted in the store. We close the doors for the Emp at 7:30, and let guests for the party in, but not day guests. Well, she was cussing at me because I told her we were closed and I couldn't let any more guests in but that DTD was still open. She proceeded to take the stroller and try to run me over with it, repeatedly hitting me in the legs. At that point I just moved and really bit my tongue as to not say anything but if looks could do some serious damage....she would have been in a lot of pain.

*sighs* I often wonder why people act that way too. I mean, she had ALL DAY to shop. ALL DAY!!! And there are a million signs and announcements that the park is closing, from the busses, the TTC, the monorail, the resorts, the park guide, the turnstiles, and the announcement over the speaker systems that start at 3:30 and go off about every 30-45 minutes after that until close.

joanna71985
07-30-2008, 07:41 PM
Luckily I have never been physically assaulted by a guest. But I have been cursed at, reported, ect.

msc_idiot
07-30-2008, 09:23 PM
The Magic Kingdom aside, this is the very reason I think serving any kind of alcohol in WDW is a HORRIBLE idea. Not just for the CMs (though I feel really bad for all of you having to put up with people who think there are no repercussions for what they do while on vacation) but for guests, too. Get a cocky, pushy man who is trying to compensate for short cummings and add alcohol? It's not safe. It doesn't take a weapon to do harm. I'm just glad none of you have been seriously hurt. Unfortunately, being at this family friendly mecca does not mean everyone who comes in is family friendly. Such a shame.

Heather

disneylovinmom
07-30-2008, 09:27 PM
That is terrible for people to act that way. I know from customer service experience from my job that people just can't take no for an answer. They think they can just do what they want and then get nasty when they are told they can't. If they can't be nice in the happiest place on earth, then they must be miserable people all the time. :(

TINKERBELL_82
07-30-2008, 09:34 PM
The Magic Kingdom aside, this is the very reason I think serving any kind of alcohol in WDW is a HORRIBLE idea. Not just for the CMs (though I feel really bad for all of you having to put up with people who think there are no repercussions for what they do while on vacation) but for guests, too. Get a cocky, pushy man who is trying to compensate for short cummings and add alcohol? It's not safe. It doesn't take a weapon to do harm. I'm just glad none of you have been seriously hurt. Unfortunately, being at this family friendly mecca does not mean everyone who comes in is family friendly. Such a shame.

Heather

Sorry Heather- I just don't agree. While I understand that alcohol can escalate situations (I have witnesses drunken debauchery first hand at the food & wine festival), DH & I really enjoying having drinks at the other parks, and e]we've absolutely never gotten out of hand or been rude to anyone, especially CM's. Never.

Jessica- I am SO sorry you have to put up with that. I get yelled at sometimes by kookie clients (I'm in the legal field) but people trying to run you over with a stroller? Ugg! Is there some way to alert security for stuff like this?

mickey&missy
07-30-2008, 10:34 PM

Jessica, I'm so sorry that these things have happened to you!! What is wrong with people!

We saw a man screaming, and I do mean screaming, at a CM at the crystal palace while we were waiting to be seated. He wanted to eat there with his family and the CM told him that they were all booked. He was yelling, screaming, cursing at the poor women! He wanted to know why we, he actually, pointed at us, got to eat there. She tried to explain that we had an advanced dining reservation. It didn't help. He walked away all anger and huffy.

CaptainJessicaSparrow
07-30-2008, 10:58 PM
Jessica- I am SO sorry you have to put up with that. I get yelled at sometimes by kookie clients (I'm in the legal field) but people trying to run you over with a stroller? Ugg! Is there some way to alert security for stuff like this?

There is but by the time they get there, the Guest is gone. All we can do is give them a description of the Guest and they will keep an eye out for them to make sure they aren't causing more problems.

Unfortunately for us, if in the instance a Guest were to ever hit us, we'd be termed pretty much immediately, even if it's self defense. Which is bad for me, since I do know some self defense moves and I'm not one to stand there and let anyone just hit me.

I'm sure people at the other parks have had it worse, especially the ones with alcohol. I've seen girls working attractions getting hit on, some of our poor character friends getting hit on, advances, etc. I've literally watched as parents let their kids pull on tails, stomp on feet and hit the characters' face/head. It's disgusting at times.

DisneyWhirled
07-30-2008, 11:14 PM
I don't know how anyone could be so rude!! It is a sad world we live in when people freak out so easily.

Jessica you are so kind, I don't know how anyone could be so mean to you (or any CM). At least you know you are safe when around your Intercot friends, except during those tragic stroller incidents :)

CaptainJessicaSparrow
07-30-2008, 11:22 PM
Yeah, those stroller accidents are deadly!

I better watch out I might be the next victim!

I think the mentality of Guests is that they pay XX amount of dollars to come on vacation, therefore they should have the World handed to them on a silver platter and that they are better than the 'lowly' CMs who work there. So they treat us accordingly, because they paid XX dollars and they want to see Mickey Mouse, gosh darnit! And sadly, stroller "accidents" happen as a result, as I'm sure many CM's have permanent bruises on their heels.

jkj1224
07-31-2008, 12:07 AM
Guests frequently get mad and yell when they ask for a price on something...yelling about how after spending all that money to come on vacation Disney should give them stuff for free

joanna71985
07-31-2008, 07:48 AM
I'm sure people at the other parks have had it worse, especially the ones with alcohol. I've seen girls working attractions getting hit on, some of our poor character friends getting hit on, advances, etc. I've literally watched as parents let their kids pull on tails, stomp on feet and hit the characters' face/head. It's disgusting at times.

Yes it is. In fact, a guest at DHS hit Mickey yesterday.

Main Street Jim
07-31-2008, 09:00 AM
When I was in the process of trying to train some new Cast Members as conductors for the train at Frontierland station, I had a guest cuss me out, yell at me, *and* take a swing at me over the railing because *his* kid was lost - and it was all "my fault" for "allowing" the kid to get lost...?!

Had a guest just the other day yell and cuss at me - because we had a car broke down that we had to get off the track, and "Now I won't be behind my kid!" Ummmm, yes...you will. The broke-down car is now out of the way, and you're the next car BEHIND YOUR KID....

We're constantly getting yelled at whenever we close down the attraction for lightning and weather. Ummm...hel-LOOOOOO....it's a half-mile of metal rail - a giant lightning rod...LOL

People get ugly, believe me...

Nut4DW
07-31-2008, 09:21 AM
Wow - I guess I shouldn't be shocked but I am. It is hard for me to understand ever treating anyone that way - especially while on vacation at the "happiest place on earth". It certainly makes me appreciate the CMs even more than I already did. I've seen a few people be ugly to CMs - one was also at the Castle when they couldn't get a dining reservation, but what has been described here sounds much worse.

This Disney Nut says thank you to all the CMs for the exceptional job you do making sure we have a safe and magical vacation. As my 19 year old son would say - "preciate ya!"

CaptainJessicaSparrow
07-31-2008, 10:10 AM

Poor Mickey!

Don't these kids know he's 80 years old! Take it easy on an old Mouse!

I remember being at AK at RPW and Rafiki was out doing meets, well, he was standing there behind one of the trees. And the parents were off talking, the CAs were off talking to each other, and the kids were stomping on his feet, pulling his hair, running under his legs, pulling on his bread. And the parents were like "It's okay, he's not real!" And I just stood there with this shocked look on my face, and I turned to the parents and said, "At what point are you going to tell them to stop because he is real and you're probably hurting him?" And she turned and gave me a nasty look, and replied "It's not like he's a real person, he can't even feel it in his suit!" And then she told her kids they had to leave. :mad:

Stich8818
07-31-2008, 10:12 AM

And you wont see that on the news that a guest hit Mickey...But reverse the roles...And it's all bad..

DAKustodial
07-31-2008, 10:48 AM
Back when I was on the College Program during the summer of '98, I was sweeping up near the unload area of the Safari. There is a gorilla viewing area there that has a fence that is higher than waist-high for the average adult, and it's pretty obvious that the fences are there for a reason. I watched as a father picked up his son and let him stand on top of the fence. Now, a breeze could have pushed this kid into the gorilla area down below. I walked up to them along the fence and said, verbatim, "Sir, please help your child down from the fence, it is dangerous for him to be up there." The guy completely ignored me and kept his son there. When I asked him again, he turned to me and said, "He's fine, I have him. Mind your own business." I had a radio and called my manager, knowing that I would need some help. The man overheard me, called me something like "a short little (insert your own four letter word here)" and stormed away with his son.

Now, I know I'm only 5'7", but man, that was rude!

laprana
07-31-2008, 10:54 AM
I think the mentality of Guests is that they pay XX amount of dollars to come on vacation, therefore they should have the World handed to them on a silver platter and that they are better than the 'lowly' CMs who work there. So they treat us accordingly, because they paid XX dollars and they want to see Mickey Mouse, gosh darnit!

This is exactly right! On our trip this past June, we were in one of the gift shops in the GF. There was a woman at the cashier's desk who was screaming, literally screaming at the CM. I didn't hear the entire conversation, but the gist of it was that the woman had purchased something in a park, had it sent to the resort, and didn't bring her yellow receipt with her to pick it up. The CM kept saying, very calmly, to her, "Ma'am, we can't give out packages without the receipt. We have to have proof that you purchased it." The woman was screaming, "You mean I have to go ALL THE WAY back to my room and get a receipt for something I ALREADY PAID FOR? This is ridiculous! I'm spending THOUSANDS of dollars a night to stay here! Is this how you treat your guests who spend THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS A NIGHT to stay here?"

I was floored. I couldn't believe the scene this woman was making, all because she didn't do what SHE was supposed to do and bring her receipt. And all because SHE was too lazy to go back to her room and get the receipt! She just had this whole air of entitlement around her, like the CM was just scum on the bottom of her shoe. The poor CM stayed calm and professional the whole time...I don't think I could have done that with this woman screaming and wagging her finger in my face! :mad: She was just unbelievable.

Jenemmy
07-31-2008, 11:14 AM
When my son was a little guy, he had to get stitches right before we left for WDW. As such, we neded to go to a urgent care type clinic while down there to have them removed.

When we walked in, the staff got all excited and said "oh my gosh!! this is the first kid we have had here in ages" They went on to tell me that their usual clients are our fuzzy friends who get abused day in and day out by guests. They said Chip and Dale seemed to get it the worst, as kids and way too big kids seemed to think wrestling the chipmunks was the thing to do. They treated everything from lacerations to broken bones, courtesy of WDW guests!

CaptainJessicaSparrow
07-31-2008, 12:52 PM
The poor CM stayed calm and professional the whole time...I don't think I could have done that with this woman screaming and wagging her finger in my face! :mad: She was just unbelievable.

That's because we develop split personalities. If people had visible though bubbles, you'd be shocked and amazed at what runs through our heads in such situations.

Or hear what is said backstage. I think that is why they make the music on the streets so loud....so you don't hear us screaming and yelling about the rude Guests backstage.

doombuggy
07-31-2008, 01:30 PM
I guess I am a bit fortunate. In 12 years with this company, yes I have had quite a few guests who were not so nice, but only one who attempted to "put hands on me" so to speak. That was probably within my 1st year or so, when I was still at TDS. I was folding some shirts on a small counter space, and this guy felt it was his right to push me out of the way so he could see the cels on the wall better. The smart thing for him to do would have been to ask me to take it off the wall so he could see it better, the boob! He demanded some kind of apology from me for not getting out of his way, but I refused to give it. he later came back and claimed (to another cm) that he made a big cel purchase up at Warner Bros. Studio Store. Of course, he had no bag or box with him at the time....:confused:

Since I trfr'd to WDW, I have encountered only a few (maybe once a month) unplesant people. I work in merchantainment in DTD, so that might be why. I still enjoy it very much (even though my family pressures me to give it up, as I have a F/T job and work at Disney the other 2 days per week).

:mickey:

Stich8818
07-31-2008, 01:34 PM
That's because we develop split personalities. If people had visible though bubbles, you'd be shocked and amazed at what runs through our heads in such situations.

Or hear what is said backstage. I think that is why they make the music on the streets so loud....so you don't hear us screaming and yelling about the rude Guests backstage.

So that is the other reason why they built the utlidoors?...To cusion the sound also?..

Stickey
07-31-2008, 01:37 PM
The poor behavior cited in these experiences is intolerable. I have noticed a rise in the "element" level at WDW in the last few years. As evidenced in the GF story, this classification is not based on income.

As society continues to accept poor behavior as the norm and discourages personal responsibility, the number of these incidents will likely rise. Disney must create a security policy to prevent these abuses. There is simply no excuse for guests to treat CM's in this matter. A clearly defined list of unacceptable behavior for guests should be implemented and enforced. At a minimum, WDW security should expel people from the park for certain offenses.

MississippiDisneyFreak
07-31-2008, 02:04 PM
I really wish you had spoken up for her. I'm not sure how letting the other CM now what had transpired would have embarrassed the young lady. It would have more likely shown her that not all Americans are rude or hot tempered. It probably would have brought back that nice smile you said she had.

She seemed embarassed that she couldn't understand what he was asking that's one reason why....I'm a lot more outspoken now and probably would have tried to smooth it over now

MississippiDisneyFreak
07-31-2008, 02:18 PM
:mad: It seems to me that the CM's get the worst end of the deal because "the customers always right" syndrome....It seems to me that the people who work at Disney must really have to love Disney to do what they do!

Marilyn Michetti
07-31-2008, 03:10 PM

I'll be in during our Dec. trip, and will "raise" my hands to you, but it will be for a hug.:mickey:

crazypoohbear
07-31-2008, 04:30 PM
I don't think that alcohol is really a factor, they would be jerks with or without the drink :(
I personally would stand up for any CM I see being verbally or physically abused.
There are rules that should be enforced.
Do unto others as you would have done unto you.
Money doesn't buy class either I guess the people at the values and at the Grand Flo are equally bad .

Character Wizard
07-31-2008, 04:58 PM

WHAT? My god if I saw the guest or any guest hit Mickey, or any character I loved, I would go ballistic...that's just wrong...:mad::mad::mad:

DisneyBabies
07-31-2008, 05:31 PM
There is this thing that I was taught as a child and after reading these stories, I have to believe that some people just don't think it is important anymore. That thing is called RESPECT!
To all the CM's and other guests out there: although I can not control the behavior of others, I can assure you that my children are taught to be respectful of others. We do NOT hit. . .We do NOT bite. . .We do NOT scream at others. . .And we do NOT believe that, even though we may have more blessings than some, we are better than others (as these stories proved that some people obviously do). And my children behave accordingly. They may only be 2 and 4 but we have made sure that they know what manners are and that manners are the most basic form of respect.
We hope to see you all there in Feb 09, so we can help show you that, despite the bad examples of others, we are grateful for everything you do to make our trip the best it can be. Thank you for all you do.

dephenn
07-31-2008, 07:06 PM
Sometimes I think that parents think the world of themselves because they bring their children to Disney and they can stop parenting while they are on vacation and just let their kids run a muck. Last year we stayed at the Animal Kingdom and while eating lunch there there was another family. They had a small little brat that was throwing wood chips at the little birds in the trees around us. The parents did nothing to stop him. When some wood chips landed on our table I looked over at his parents and the mother said "he's just playing". I told her that it was okay because in 14 years someone like me will discipline him for you you. She said "excuse me" and I replied "I work in a prison as a correctional officer and I appreciate the business". To all the CMs at disney thank you, I can honestly say I can't remember one that was worth complaining about or deserved to be reported for being unprofessional.

slegrant
07-31-2008, 07:11 PM
I remember one trip we were getting lunch in tomorrowland and while I was in line a gentleman and his daughter came up to the counter and asked for a straw, the polite CM told him the straws were over at the condiment table, and actually pointed to the table. a second or two later the guy came back and said he can't find the straws and that he wanted one now. The same CM told him where the straws were again, he finally saw the table got his straw but then came back over yelled at the CM saying "Thanks alot and threw a bunch of straws at the CM. It was horrible to know there are people like this. My wife and I were so upset, we found a manager and told him what happened and how polite the CM had been. I was hoping they would find this guy and kick him out of the park.

joanna71985
07-31-2008, 07:21 PM
Poor Mickey!

Don't these kids know he's 80 years old! Take it easy on an old Mouse!

Yeah, except it wasn't a kid...it was an adult.

I remember being at AK at RPW and Rafiki was out doing meets, well, he was standing there behind one of the trees. And the parents were off talking, the CAs were off talking to each other, and the kids were stomping on his feet, pulling his hair, running under his legs, pulling on his bread. And the parents were like "It's okay, he's not real!" And I just stood there with this shocked look on my face, and I turned to the parents and said, "At what point are you going to tell them to stop because he is real and you're probably hurting him?" And she turned and gave me a nasty look, and replied "It's not like he's a real person, he can't even feel it in his suit!" And then she told her kids they had to leave. :mad:

Oh my goodness, that is horrible! Rafiki should have just walked off. This is exactly why I always keep an eye on my character(s).

And you wont see that on the news that a guest hit Mickey...But reverse the roles...And it's all bad..

Exactly.

Sooooo true.

WHAT? My god if I saw the guest or any guest hit Mickey, or any character I loved, I would go ballistic...that's just wrong...:mad::mad::mad:

Yeah. And the worst part is that Mickey's friend is still in pain from that incident.:(

jonahbear2006
07-31-2008, 07:36 PM

Heather

I don't like this idea either. The first time I went, I just assumed that it was dry there but not only is it not dry there but I have had a few young friends of mine tell me this is one of the easiest places in the world to get a drink. Apparently they aren't that great at carding people. Making WDW a dry place, though, would make it impossible for those who are alcoholics, to join Disney for the week. Some people are physically dependent on it and without it, their legs won't work, they shake, and get very angry.

CaptainJessicaSparrow
07-31-2008, 10:07 PM
Alcoholics shouldn't be at Disney.

Sorry, I grew up in a very bad, alcoholic family. It's hard, but not impossible to overcome.

They should wait until they are clean to go to Disney. It's not a place for those who can't control themselves when they are there.

Joanna, tell Mickey I hope he feels better. I'm sorry adults have to be like that. I'd kiss his nose and hope it feels better!

disneygeek84
07-31-2008, 11:17 PM
Just a quick question...if anybody knows the answer...What could Mickey's "friend" have even done to provoke someone to hit them? Did the person who hit Mickey get in trouble? And how is the CM that got hit doing?

This makes me so angry it's not even funny. Everyone should be required to be a CM at some point if they're going to visit WDW or have a family member so that they know what kind of bull the CMs have to put up with on a daily basis. My little sister went on the college program in the spring of '07 and called us several times crying about how badly people had been treating her that day. It's just awful.

kemps@wdw
07-31-2008, 11:52 PM
I AM APPALLED!!!:jaw: For all you so-called guests that have ever been direspctful to the Cms...SHAME ON YOU!!:nono: If you can't act like you have SOME sense, then you shouldn't be here at all!:stop: (and that goes for your undisciplined kids as well) Whew...I'm gad I got that off my chest!!:whew: That being said, I just want to thank all the CMs that made our magical journey even more magical :pixie: (if that's possible), and that would be ALL of you. We here @ Intercot appreciate all you do :thumbsup: (as I'm sure all other guests, or almost all do). I hope you're blessed with little or no contact w/the "anti-Disney" families!:thedolls:

joanna71985
08-01-2008, 10:38 AM
Joanna, tell Mickey I hope he feels better. I'm sorry adults have to be like that. I'd kiss his nose and hope it feels better!

Will do. I am there again on Sun.

Just a quick question...if anybody knows the answer...What could Mickey's "friend" have even done to provoke someone to hit them? Did the person who hit Mickey get in trouble? And how is the CM that got hit doing?

That's just it- he didn't do anything. The guy had his hand back there (we're assuming he wanted to smack Mickey on the back), and ended up hitting Mickey in the head. So while it could have been an accident, it also could have been on purpose.

Mickey is fine. But he got a headache and some pain in his neck.

Kisobel
08-01-2008, 01:34 PM
When some wood chips landed on our table I looked over at his parents and the mother said "he's just playing". I told her that it was okay because in 14 years someone like me will discipline him for you you. She said "excuse me" and I replied "I work in a prison as a correctional officer and I appreciate the business".

ok i burst out laughing at this line, but upon more reflection- how sad but very true.

Mickey is fine. But he got a headache and some pain in his neck.

does mickey need the number for a good chiropractor? i hope mickey feels better soon. and i know that guest will someday get what they deserve(karma comes around even if we can't see it)

kate

Bethis26fan
08-01-2008, 02:37 PM
Jessica you are better than me, if someone ever laid a hand on me I think I would react to it before I ever stop to think. I just don't understand it the way people act. It's not just DW it's everywhere. People don't respect other people and I'm sad to say it's people my age and younger that seem to be worse. 29 and under crowd. I guess my parents just did a good job teaching me respect when I was growing up. When people work in a postion to serve they aren't slaves. You respect them as much as you respect anyone else if not more so because with out them you wouldn't get what ever it is they serve. Maybe part of it is now days people don't respect their selfs so why would they respect someone else.

divinedi
08-01-2008, 11:13 PM
Maybe it's time we stood up for the CM's! I remember an incident in the grocery store where I worked, and this couple came in to return a piece of cheese that was 'bad' according to them. As is our policy, we need a receipt, especially since there was no sticker on the cheese any longer, indicating that they bought it at our store. Well to make a long story short, while she searched in her purse for the receipt, the husband proceeded to 'chew' us out, loudly and rudely, for not cooperating with them. There was a line-up growing behind him, we were trying to be very polite, and finally several of the customers got mad and told him to get out of the store and quit being so nasty, and one customer even told him to, umm, well you know. They finally found the receipt, and the worst of it was - the cheese was worth less than $2. ALL that for a lousy bit of money, and we found out after they left it was part of a gift pack, and the receipt didn't go with it at all!

Anyway, WE were very grateful to the customers that stood up for us, as we weren't allowed to get angry of course, just like CM's, but the other customers weren't taking it, on our behalf!

Just my two cents!

DisneyorBust
08-02-2008, 05:33 PM
I've read these posts, and first I have to commend the CM's for not only the professionalism and friendliness that you demonstrate each day, but also for being such a huge part of the magic.:number1:
What infuriates me, is that it seems that the WDW management does not appreciate what an intergral part of a DisneyWorld vacation that you are.
I believe that guest behavior policies should be STRICTLY enforced. Guests behaving badly should be excorted from the parks, not coddled and rewarded for their bad behavior.
I can't imagine why any company would put a disruptive guest above ANY good employee.
Remove the 'bad' guest and what are you left with? Happier (respected) employees and appreciative vacationers.

CaptainJessicaSparrow
08-02-2008, 08:01 PM
Sure. You try telling a guest to leave the park for being rude and see how far they get. They'd raise more problems, try to fight, cuss up a storm, and probably try to sue afterwards.

Disney management works like this: Blackberrys/Nextel/Cell Phone/Office Computer, Profits, Guests, Sales, Work Hours, their Lunch, and somewhere after they worry about using the bathroom will they occasionally check on the CMs. For 80% of the leaders, CM's are not a top priority.

AHOTE
08-04-2008, 01:34 AM
Sure. You try telling a guest to leave the park for being rude and see how far they get. They'd raise more problems, try to fight, cuss up a storm, and probably try to sue afterwards.

Disney management works like this: Blackberrys/Nextel/Cell Phone/Office Computer, Profits, Guests, Sales, Work Hours, their Lunch, and somewhere after they worry about using the bathroom will they occasionally check on the CMs. For 80% of the leaders, CM's are not a top priority.

I can remember when the "suits' were only allowed to be off stage 20% of their shift. The other 80% of the time was to be spent on stage interacting with and supervising cast members, interacting with guests and enforcing Disney policies. I guess that's no longer the case. It's bad when a company forces its managers to capitulate to the rude and obnoxious guest rather than to do the right thing. The old adage that the customer is always right should not hold sway in most situations. A good manager can tell when someone is blowing smoke in their face and should respond accordingly. If you are going to make rules then enforce them otherwise those rules are worthless and people will continue to abuse the system knowing full well that nothing will happen. :sorry: I'll get off my :soapbox: now.
In keeping with the theme of this thread I do remember one man giving a cast member in the ice cream palor a real bad time because she "ain't got no multi-colored jimmies". He went at her and another cast member for what seemed like an eternity. Fortunately, three very large young men from a local college decided that he'd overstayed his welcome. They moved in behind him and convinced him that it would be to his advantage to forget about having ice cream. He did see the wisdom in their request. They even somehow grudgingly got him to apologize. The people in line clapped, cheered and high-fived these three heros. BTW they got their ice cream free.