PDA

View Full Version : What's your O'Hanas experience?

Gregandmel
07-30-2008, 11:21 AM
Hello!! We have ressies at 5:00pm at O'Hanas at the Poly on Oct. 5th (Sunday). For those of you that have eaten there, what was your experience? What can we expect? It's my dh, and 2 ds ages 8 & 17. About how long do you think it takes to go through the whole meal? Just trying to figure out if we have much time after dinner to make any sort of plans. Thanks!!

DisneyTwirler13!
07-30-2008, 12:14 PM
I wnet with my mom, sister, and about 5 of her friends and their moms, and we absolutely loved it. The food was great, as was our server, and the atmosphere was awesome. We weren't really expecting anything, although with it being Disney we kinda knew it would be really good, but all we wanted was food after a long day of competition over at Wide World of Sports. It took maybe about 1-2 hours to eat, but we stayed about 3 hours because we were having a lot of fun talking. Your reservations being at 5, you could probably go see the fireworks or parade at MK.
You'll really enjoy it, and have fun!!

dixielandings
07-30-2008, 12:14 PM
'Ohana is one of my very favorites - mostly for breakfast. But dinner there is fun too. They usually have some kind of something for the kids - coconut races, etc. The food is served family-style with sides brought to the table all at once and meat brought around one at a time on skewers. It's pretty good all in all. I'm sad they don't have the fresh pineapple w/ caramel sauce anymore. Wow, that was good. But I think you'll enjoy it. And depending on your party size, I'd plan on being there for an hour and a half at least, including waiting time for your table, etc. It may be less - hope it's not more. At that early hour, it shouldn't be long at all.

dolphinmickey9170
07-30-2008, 01:33 PM
We really love O'Hana. It takes about an hour, sometime a little more, from start to finish. If the parks are closing early, than you probably wouldn't be able to go to MK, but Epcot being open until 9, you could still finish off your evening there.

The food is excellent. We love the meats, the noodles, the potstickers, the wings, the bread pudding is to DIE for! You will really enjoy it. They have mac and cheese for the kiddies if they won't eat the other food. Just let them know what you need.

Goes4FastPass
07-30-2008, 03:34 PM
You and yours will have a good time.

DS 8 will can participate in the 'coconut race' a gang of kids race around a rectangluar aisle in the restaurant pushing coconuts with brooms. Hint: coconuts are not round.

DS17 will enjoy the food. After appetizers and salad. Servers will bring around 'spears' of various kinds of pit cooked meats and DS17 can eat 'til he's stuffed.

joonyer
07-30-2008, 05:39 PM
'Ohana is our overall #1 WDW favorite restaurant. Really good food and lots of it (all you can eat!) and great family atmosphere and fun. We've been going there since our two DS were little and did the coconut races and hula-hoop contests. Now they're too "old" to do those things but they still love going there. There's something for everyone on the menu, especially if you're a meat eater. Yummy dessert, too. We go there at least once on every trip.

Faver
07-30-2008, 06:32 PM
You and your family are going to love O'Hana. The atmosphere is wonderful and the food is great!

When I was there last year our group, went down to the beach at the Poly, layed in the hammocks, walked on the beach... really nice... and took the boat back to MK. We were there in December, so we saw the fireworks from the MVMCP directly overhead! What a night!!!!

Enjoy

disneycouple2004
07-30-2008, 07:13 PM
ditto to all of the above...:thumbsup:
we never miss this one, It is wonderful :D
NOTICE you did not see any negitive reports on this one ?...you probably will not

Minnie Imagineer
07-30-2008, 07:27 PM
I love O'hana but my family didn't like it. I likes there food (family style) and the setting. What my family didn't like was that the waiters and waitresses played games with the little kids like run around the restaurant with a pineapple or something-and yes it was very annoying! But, I would like to go back. We even saw the fireworkd from MK!!
:thumbsup:

#1disneyfan
07-30-2008, 07:44 PM
We try to make it to OHana's every trip. It is my DH favorite restaurant. We love the atmosphere, the food and we have never had a bad meal yet. I didn't like the potatoes that they had on the menu for a while, but other than that it has always been a family favorite.

I believe that we are usually there for about 1 1/2 hours. You should have plenty of time to do something after dinner.

Have a great time. We will be eating there in 15 days!!

Magic Smiles
07-30-2008, 07:53 PM
Well here comes the negative review that all restaurants need! LOL
We went in Dec 07 after reading all of the wonderful reviews, but we were disappointed.
First off I have to say that I am a VERY picky eater, who does not like honey, which explains in part why I was not overly impressed.
First impressions of the restaurant were great and we had the most impressive view of the Castle. Being during Dec the castle was all lit up in its Christmas glory. Absolutely breathtaking..........until that woman started to sing and sing and sing and dance around. I am sorry but she drove us crazy. Our DS was 15 and so of course was not participating. Maybe if you have kids participating she doesn't seem as annoying? To us however it was very annoying.
I ordered a Glowtini to drink, which I had previously had at the 50's Prime Time Cafe. It was only okay, not great like the Prime Time's. My biggest complaint however was with the service and the food. Our waitress rushed us through our meal. I was still on my salad, actually had hardly eaten any of it when she came back with our main courses and was taking away my salad. It continued like this all night. RUSH, RUSH, RUSH. What little meat I did try was overcooked and very dry. The best part of the meal was the potatoes, but she tried to take those away without me having a chance to finish. People seem to either love the bread pudding or not like it. None of us liked the bread pudding, couldn't get past the first taste, so we pretty much ended up with no dessert. We were not in there very long as we were rushed through our whole meal. I was pretty disappointed after our experience here, as we had all been looking forward to having a wonderful meal with a great view.
We won't be going back there again. Hope that you have a better experience.

AllDisney
07-30-2008, 08:00 PM
We like this restaurant very much. The atmosphere is fun and the food is very good. You'll have a great time. Enjoy!

andmomlau
07-30-2008, 08:02 PM
:thumbsup: DH and I ate there last July while celebrating our 25th anniversary at WDW. Although we had breakfast there and not dinner, we absolutely loved it!!!! The food at breakfast was wonderful and the service equal to our other favorite, LeCellier at EPCOT!!! We are going again this year, leaving 2 weeks from today,:party:. and I made reservations there for dinner this time, the night we arrive. I thought since we enjoyed it so much last year, it would be a great way to start our trip. Does anyone know, if our reservations are for 6:45, should we be able to see the fireworks from O'Hana's? Not sure what time the fireworks are, but I'm thinking 9:00, so I doubt we'd still be at O'Hana's......Enjoy your meal and your trip!!!

tinksmom02
07-30-2008, 09:56 PM
Does anyone know, if our reservations are for 6:45, should we be able to see the fireworks from O'Hana's? Not sure what time the fireworks are, but I'm thinking 9:00, so I doubt we'd still be at O'Hana's......Enjoy your meal and your trip!!!

I think you may still be there...on our trip last Sept. we had 6:30 ADR's. I wanted a window table, if possible, so we were checked in at 6pm. We didn't get seated until after 7pm. We took our time, yes they kind of bring the food around quickly, but we didn't feel rushed. I think around that time, the servers might suspect that you'd like to stay, so they slow down a little. Ours was great about it, and brought us more bread pudding while we watched Wishes.

The wait for a table was the hardest part, though. Not sure if that's typical for Ohanas, but I think it might be.

We had ADR's for our upcoming trip, but I think they're for 5pm--less chance of a wait.

Enjoy!

mouseketeer mom
07-31-2008, 08:08 AM
A trip to WDW isn't complete without going to Ohanas. By far, it is our favorite dinner experience. We love the food and the positive energy of the place. We went last November and the sprinklers went off and Ohanas had to close!!!! We were crushed. Its the first time we missed dining there during our trip and it just wasn't the same. Ohanas feels like home to us.:mickey:

buzznwoodysmom
07-31-2008, 09:03 AM
:ditto:

A trip to WDW is just not the same if we don't eat at Ohana! It has been a must do for our past 5 or so trips. Twice we've had a huge party for our Ohana feast (party of 15 one time and party of 14 the other time). On both trips everyone in our huge party thought Ohana was the best meal of the trip! Chances are very good that you will love it.

ThanxForNoticin
07-31-2008, 12:49 PM
'OHana is without a doubt one of our favorite dining experiences in all of Disney. As noted by a couple posters above, though, you should understand what dinner at 'OHana involves. It's not a place to go for a nice romantic dinner for two. They like to have fun with the kids and the adults during dinner. If you think that's something you might not want to be involved with, ask to be seated away from the coconut races and away from the hula dancing. Even the time we've gone there without our kids, we still enjoy sitting back and laughing at the kids having a great time. For us, it's a great Disney experience. The food is awesome and the service is usually very good - and you certainly will not leave hungry. Hope you have a great time.

Daddy Mouse
07-31-2008, 01:28 PM
O’Hana is our favorite restaurant at WDW. We always try new places every time we go, but O’Hana has become a tradition. We enjoyed watching the games that were being played with the young children. We even decided to take some friends to O’Hana for a dinner when our Boys were wrestling down there. It became their favorite as well. They have been back every year their sons wrestled at WWoS. The food is good and done to our liking. it is usually one of our breaks when we go to the MK.

dizknee531
07-31-2008, 01:36 PM
SO MUCH FOOD!! We were stuffed. The entertainment was great too!! Well worth taking your time and relaxing. Have fun!!:thumbsup:

A Big Kid
08-01-2008, 10:12 PM
Here is my negative review:

My Wife and I had ADRs for 7pm. Arrived at about 6:40 pm. (Very important part: I ran the full marathon that day. Aside from a light breakfast and a small snack after the run, at about 1000 am, I had eaten nothing of substance all day. So I was hungry and ready to eat eat eat.)
DID NOT GET SEATED UNTIL A LITTLE AFTER 8PM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I was very annoyed and aggravated at this point. Service was slooooooooooooooow. Food was good though, when it got there. Not really, the meat, all the meat was dry.

Then the kids....Oh man the kids and the coconuts. We were seated right on the "racetrack" when the kids came through with brooms and coconuts. One little girl's coconut went under our table and between my legs. The girls mom kept trying to coax the girl to get sweep the coconut out from between my legs. Everytime the coconut started creeping out, the girl shoved it back because "it was looking" at her. So her mother tried to grab the broom to sweep it out from between my legs but the girl would not give it to here..SO THE MOM CRAWLS UNDER OUR TABLE TO GET IT!!!!!!!!! We were mortified!

(So the next day We are on the bus and another family asks us if we have been to Kona Cafe. I started to explain to them the coconut story. At that point, another lady seated near us asks, "Was that yall?" :-o

GhostHost999
08-02-2008, 12:46 PM
The last time I went to Ohana it was great!

There was a coconut rolling contest for little kids, and an amazing view of the sunset.

The food was quite delicious, and it was a very decent price.

We even had one of the staff there teaching us words in Hawaiian.

Really great stuff. I think you'll have a blast there.

Jasper
08-02-2008, 01:00 PM
Put me in the category of those who didn't like O'Hana. While they were very focused on providing entertainment they seem to have forgotten that first and foremost they are a restaurant. Yes, the views are great, the restaurant itself is nicely themed, and yes the "entertainment" was fun even without small children. However the service and the food was not good at all.

Save your money and go someplace that is really a restaurant and not just an entertainment venue that also happens to serve some food.

Shugoondola
08-02-2008, 07:31 PM
I really enjoyed 'Ohana the last time I ate there in January. The food was excellent as usual, but it's my understanding that they don't serve the cheese potatoes that I love so much anymore. 'Ohana is one of my favorite places to eat in all of WDW. :number1:

:mickey:

WeLuvBuzz
08-02-2008, 10:39 PM
As with all the restaurants at WDW you will find people who love them, people who hate them, and some people who are indifferent. That being said, if you seem interested in any restaurant I encourage you to try it at least once and see for yourself. Personally I have never found an eating establishment at Disney for which I could not find something positive to say. As for your original question, DH and I have been there twice by ourselves and had a lovely time both visits. I so wish they would bring the potatoes back, but we will still go back and look forward to taking our kids with us. The salad is great, the meat was always wonderful, and in our opinion the dessert is to die for. We pretty much ignored all the activities going on as we were without children. With three kids at home within four years of each other I am good at tuning out chaos. Give it a shot and judge for yourself. For those that don't like it that just means there will be less people in my way for ADRs in the future.

eeyorelover63
08-08-2008, 04:28 PM
i have gone there two times! it is one of my all time favorite places to eat in disney! the first time was about 4 years ago. my brother and i did a coconut race. that is when u push a coconut around w/ broom. at the end we got gummy worms. they also have hulahooping things. the second time they had the limbo and that was really fun!!!!!!

LudwigVonDrake
08-10-2008, 10:24 PM
It should take you between an hour and an hour and a half to eat. I love 'Ohana and it's a must do on every trip!! :tasty:

Mickey91
08-10-2008, 11:24 PM
We ate there in 2003 for both breakfast and dinner. We absolutely loved it! :mickey:

Goes4FastPass
08-11-2008, 11:28 AM
Hello!! We have ressies at 5:00pm at O'Hanas at the Poly on Oct. 5th (Sunday). For those of you that have eaten there, what was your experience? What can we expect? It's my dh, and 2 ds ages 8 & 17. About how long do you think it takes to go through the whole meal? Just trying to figure out if we have much time after dinner to make any sort of plans. Thanks!!

'Ohana should not be rushed and you need to figure a bit of a wait to be seated - there seems to always be.

Since your ADR is 5pp as far as your 'plans after, question goes. MNSSHP (http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/wdw/parks/specialEvents?id=MickeysNotSoScaryHalloweenPartySp ecialEventPage) is scheduled at the MK that night which you and your boys might much enjoy.