PDA

View Full Version : Disney Interview...ANY HELP IS VERY MUCH APPRECIATED!!

honeebee86
07-29-2008, 06:50 PM
hi everyone! I am going to WDW this Friday to do an interview. I used to work at the Maine Mall DIsney Store until it closed. I was told that they are not hiring for much right now, but depending on how the interview goes, I may hear back from them within 6 months. Also, they said that the interview is about 2-4 hours long. As you can guess, I am very nervous. For those of you who have gone through the interview process (hired or not), what can I excpect? What kinds of questions might they ask me? And what is the typical wait for a job to be offered if you do well during the interview? Thank you all so much! I look forward to reading your responses!

#1disneyfan
07-29-2008, 07:15 PM
I have no experience in this department, but I wanted to wish you good luck!

Hopefully we will be seeing you as a CM on a future trip!!

Good Luck :mickey:

honeebee86
07-29-2008, 07:24 PM
Thank you so much #1DisneyFan!!! That really means a lot! I look forward to hopefully becoming a Cast Member at WDW so I can bring a little magic to you and your family on your next trip!

DizneyRox
07-29-2008, 08:22 PM
I would expect they will mostly confirm your heart is beating and the rest will be signing forms saying you won't steal from the company, etc.

Honestly, anyone showing any type of interest in getting and holding a job at the world should probably be snatched right up. I really wouldn't sweat it at all.

SteveL
07-29-2008, 08:34 PM
I would expect they will mostly confirm your heart is beating and the rest will be signing forms saying you won't steal from the company, etc.

Honestly, anyone showing any type of interest in getting and holding a job at the world should probably be snatched right up. I really wouldn't sweat it at all.

You forgot the other qualification: A valid (hopefully valid) social security number.

Emme&TeddysMommy
07-29-2008, 08:38 PM
I used to work at the Maine Mall DIsney Store until it closed.

We loved going to the Disney Store at the Maine Mall when we were on vacation. Sorry the hear it closed. Good luck with the interview!:pixie:

Sam&Alex&Josh'sMOM
07-29-2008, 09:37 PM
Break a leg!!!!

Mousemates
07-29-2008, 10:18 PM
Best wishes and good luck.

CaptainJessicaSparrow
07-29-2008, 10:39 PM
Yeah, DizneyRocks has it pretty much correct.

If you're breathing, you should be good.

But I will vouch for the fact that there has been A LOT of talk about doing a resort-wide hiring freeze. We've got a lot of people who aren't getting hours as it is.

One of them is me.....stupid two days a week. I'm in college!! I live paycheck to paycheck, Mickey!!! I can't live on two days a week!!!

Either way, good luck! I'm sure you'll do fine and just remember, always let your conscience be your guide!

DisneyWhirled
07-29-2008, 10:42 PM
Good luck! I wish you the best!!

I was always in your store @ the MM. What a nice bunch of CM's you all were (are). Do you keep in contact w/any of them?

Young@Heart
07-30-2008, 12:44 AM
I have no info for you, but really wanted to wish you good luck! :mickey:

It is my dream to retire from teaching and move to FL to work at WDW. DH would happily join me, so maybe it will be a reality in 30 years! :cloud9:

BMan62
07-30-2008, 01:35 PM
Yeah, DizneyRocks has it pretty much correct.

If you're breathing, you should be good.

But I will vouch for the fact that there has been A LOT of talk about doing a resort-wide hiring freeze. We've got a lot of people who aren't getting hours as it is.

One of them is me.....stupid two days a week. I'm in college!! I live paycheck to paycheck, Mickey!!! I can't live on two days a week!!!

Either way, good luck! I'm sure you'll do fine and just remember, always let your conscience be your guide!

Here I thought all the squawk was that there weren't enough workers in the area to staff the parks/resorts/etc.

DizneyRox
07-30-2008, 02:23 PM
Here I thought all the squawk was that there weren't enough workers in the area to staff the parks/resorts/etc.
Well... Yes and no...

Under normal circumstances, there isn't enough, however in this economy, with the cutbacks, etc it is understandable that there are more people who will settle for what Disney pays as they have mortgage payments, credit card dept, etc.

I'm going to guess that attendence is down terribly, which explains why hours have been cut, etc. I would suspect that as the summer winds down and they go into value season, there will be a need for even less folks to man the trains.

CaptainJessicaSparrow
07-30-2008, 05:06 PM
It's as DizneyRocks said. Attendance is down, and it keeps going. Merchandise sales are down, resorts are more empty than usual. And before anyone says they are booked, yes....they might be 'booked' from a technical point. They might only have 1500 out of 2000 rooms operating since the attendance is down, so they have all of those 1500 rooms booked. If no one is in the room, there is little operating cost for electricity, air, water, cleaning, laundry, etc.

Personally, I love Disney and I've been here for almost 2 years now. I won't leave unless they force me to or I'm dead. But the lack of hours is hurting me because I need the money. And they do keep hiring people, which means more people to give hours to and no hours to give as it already is.

That's why, if you haven't noticed or been recently....there are A LOT of new ICP's coming in. They are paid at a lower rate than the regular CM's, so they are becoming more and more common at the parks.

I recently had to go through 'Once Upon a Time is Now' again, and out of the 90+ people in the group, only about 10 were actually American citizens. I never felt more like a minority than I did that day.

I'm just hoping I get leadership soon so I get the pay increase.

DizneyRox
07-30-2008, 08:35 PM
Many people confuse occupancy levels with total rooms. In the off season, they have fewer staff on hand, so while a resort may have 1000 rooms, they may only be using 500 of them. If 500 rooms are filled, then they are at 100% occupancy. Yes, 500 rooms are sitting enpty (and poeple WILL be turned away), but they don't have the staff on hand to manage them.

Similar for the parks. Each attraction has a capacity tied to it. As the seasons move from peak to value, the often take attractions off line for refurb, etc. In the middle of the summer, MK may have a capacity (these are made up numbers folks!) of say 50,000. That's will all attractions running, etc. Say, HM goes down for a refurb, MK's capacity may go down to say 45,000 as well. In the off season, this works since there are less people going to the parks anyway.

Similarly, a few years back, they opened CoP during the holidays after it had been down for most of the year. The reason? They were expecting larger crowds and didn't want to turn those customers away at the gates. WoL pavillion opened a while back for the same reason, to increase the capacity of the parks to get more people in. More people means more ticket, concessions, merchandise, etc.

This is partly why WoL will never be opened again as well, there's not enough people visiting to need the capacity. It was a real eye opener this July 4th to see the parks as empty as they were, at least compared to years past.

It's a numbers game folks!

CaptainJessicaSparrow
07-30-2008, 11:00 PM
LOL, you're repeating what I said!

But hey, that is how it's done. Less people means they can close attractions, cut back on rooms, food operations, characters, entertainment, fireworks, etc.

I'd expect them to keep taking more and more out until the economy picks up again.

DizneyRox
07-31-2008, 07:32 AM
LOL, you're repeating what I said!

But hey, that is how it's done.
Irritating ain't it! :D

Sometimes it helps to really spell it out, but we're getting WAY off topic on this one.

Good luck on your interview!

honeebee86
07-31-2008, 05:51 PM
Well, I guess I will just try my best not to be nervous and let my knowledge of WDW and my love for providing exeptional guest service show. Even if they truly are not looking to hire anyone right now, hopefully I will come to mind when something becomes available. My interview is tomorrow (Aug. 1st) at 2pm. Does anyone know some questions they may ask during the group interview as well as after? I just want to be as prepared as I possibly can so I can walk out of the interview knowing I did my best. Thank you all for your posts. I do hope the economy turns around soon! It makes me sad to see the negative effetcs it is having on WDW. I imagine those effects also make the guests who can afford a vacation during these difficult times reluctant to go to WDW if they are cutting back (understandably) on some of the things that make guests want to go on a WDW vacation in the first place.

CaptainJessicaSparrow
07-31-2008, 10:08 PM
Good luck!

I'm sure you'll do fine!

kemps@wdw
07-31-2008, 11:31 PM
Good Luck!! Its obvious you have love for Disney and that will show. DH and I have decided that when DD goes off to college, we're moving down @ going to work for "the mouse". Hopefully, our love for Disney will show also, and we'll get to share that with all that come to this wonderful place!