PDA

View Full Version : Extreme Foreclosure

Dixie Springs
07-29-2008, 06:42 PM
You knew it was coming...

'Extreme Makeover' house faces foreclosure
Mon Jul 28, 11:32 AM PDT (AP)

More than 1,800 people showed up to help ABC's "Extreme Makeover" team demolish a family's decrepit home and replace it with a sparkling, four-bedroom mini-mansion in 2005.

Three years later, the reality TV show's most ambitious project at the time has become the latest victim of the foreclosure crisis.

After the Harper family used the two-story home as collateral for a $450,000 loan, it's set to go to auction on the steps of the Clayton County Courthouse Aug. 5. The couple did not return phone calls Monday, but told WSB-TV they received the loan for a construction business that failed.

The house was built in January 2005, after Atlanta-based Beazer Homes USA and ABC's "Extreme Makeover" demolished their old home and its faulty septic system. Within six days, construction crews and hoards of volunteers had completed work on the largest home that the television program had yet built.

The finished product was a four-bedroom house with decorative rock walls and a three-car garage that towered over ranch and split-level homes in their Clayton County neighborhood. The home's door opened into a lobby that featured four fireplaces, a solarium, a music room and a plush new office.

Materials and labor were donated for the home, which would have cost about $450,000 to build. Beazer Homes' employees and company partners also raised $250,000 in contributions for the family, including scholarships for the couple's three children and a home maintenance fund.

ABC said in a statement that it advises each family to consult a financial planner after they get their new home. "Ultimately, financial matters are personal, and we work to respect the privacy of the families," the network said.

Some of the volunteers who helped build the home were less than thrilled about the family's financial decisions.

"It's aggravating. It just makes you mad. You do that much work, and they just squander it," Lake City Mayor Willie Oswalt, who helped vault a massive beam into place in the Harper's living room, told The Atlanta Journal-Constitution.

dnickels
07-29-2008, 08:30 PM
That's too bad to see someone squander their good fortune especially when you think of how many applications they probably get for these things. Homes are places to live, not ATMs.

murphy1
07-30-2008, 09:38 AM
That was a huge article in our AJC newspapers last weekend. We were just dumbfounded how anyone could do that!

MississippiDisneyFreak
07-30-2008, 01:38 PM
I think the family's should have to sign a legal document agreeing not to use the house for collateral.....I don't know if this is true, but I've heard rumors locally (I'm 90 miles from NO) that after Katrina, Oprah Winfrey went to New Orleans and built homes and deeded them to people who were in public housing pre-Katrina and lost their places to live...according to the rumors, almost all of them turned around and sold the homes for profit and many of them have already gone through the money and are living in public housing again.....:(

Disney Doll
07-30-2008, 02:02 PM
What a shame. Sometimes you just can't save people from themselves. I bet the family feels horrible though and it's sad to think about anyone loosing their home. In general I think many people are pretty ignorant when it comes to financial matters. Maybe they will start including more restrictions in the paperwork so people will not be able to get in situations like this.

brownie
07-30-2008, 02:58 PM
A new home doesn't necessarily change some of the underlying conditions that led to the need for a new home. You hope that people will take the opportunity to move forward, but you can't force them to. Maybe the show should do a little more support after the crew leaves to help people adjust, instead of just advising that they consult a financial planner.

Flower
07-30-2008, 03:49 PM
I read an article a few months back about another family that was struggling after an Extreme Home Maker....The city had raised the property taxes so high because of the new homes size that the chosen family was now unable to make tax payments.

prprincess
07-31-2008, 09:43 AM
The Marrero's from Camden, NJ who had a house built for them by Extreme Home Makeover had issues. They couldn't afford to pay their real estate taxes and put the house up for sale. Urban Promise, I believe, came to their aid and they were able to stay in the house, but I hear that the family is still concerned about paying the taxes in the future.

I was so happy for then when they had this house built, but taxes here are so high. I'm not surprised that they can't afford them. :(

IloveDisney71
07-31-2008, 11:33 PM
I love the idea of this show but I've often wondered how the families would be able to "keep up" these really big, fancy houses. I think it would be better to just build them "regular,average" houses then they wouldn't have to worry with higher taxes and expensive utilities, etc.

conorsmom2000
08-01-2008, 09:13 AM
The Marrero's from Camden, NJ who had a house built for them by Extreme Home Makeover had issues. They couldn't afford to pay their real estate taxes and put the house up for sale. Urban Promise, I believe, came to their aid and they were able to stay in the house, but I hear that the family is still concerned about paying the taxes in the future.

I was so happy for then when they had this house built, but taxes here are so high. I'm not surprised that they can't afford them. :(

There was an Extreme Makeover house done in my town as well, and I've heard they've had the same issue. The town raised their proprerty taxes through the roof (no surprise since our county is one of the highest in the country!!) and now they are struggling. I too believe some group has come to their aide to help them out.

I love this show but often find myself wondering how the family will handle the tax impact of such a huge home. I agree that the show should provide the family with some financial advice to handle their new situation.

Magic Smiles
08-02-2008, 10:19 AM
I love the idea of this show but I've often wondered how the families would be able to "keep up" these really big, fancy houses. I think it would be better to just build them "regular,average" houses then they wouldn't have to worry with higher taxes and expensive utilities, etc.

My thought exactly!