PDA

View Full Version : Does your cat play fetch?

DisneyDog
07-29-2008, 11:24 AM
Our cat plays fetch, which I find very funny. We had dogs for 13 years and couldn't get them to play fetch. The cat will bring us his "mousie" and drop it at our feet. We throw it and he immediately brings it back...just like a dog is "supposed" to do. He is so funny!

He also comes running down the stairs when we get home, rolls over on his back so we will scratch his belly, and begs for food at the table (we don't give it to him) and sits outside the bathroom door when I take my morning shower and then "meows" at me until I make his breakfast.

So, do I really have a cat, or is he a dog in a cat's body?

IamBelle
07-29-2008, 11:31 AM
I never heard of a cat playing fetch, but my cats beg at the table. I used to have a cat we called a "cog" because he used to act like a dog, because he ate everything! I have a cog who goes outside and plays with my dogs!

scoot241
07-29-2008, 11:58 AM
Our cat likes to fetch paper and foam balls (they look like golf balls).

He also likes to lick people. DW, who isn't a huge fan of dogs (at least as her pet), says she had to get the one cat that acts like a dog.

laprana
07-29-2008, 12:14 PM
:funny: I laughed out loud when I read this post because your cat sounds exactly like mine! I've always said she is part dog because she does play fetch with her toys, she comes when I whistle for her, she rolls on her back and wants me to rub her belly, and she comes to greet me any time I walk in the door or come downstairs. She's really funny! I've never had a cat quite as dog-like as she is. What's even funnier is that I also have a dog, a Shih Tzu, and he acts more like a cat than a dog. He even cleans his face like a cat - licking his paws and then rubbing his face. He's the most finicky eater ever and he hates water. Maybe they had some kind of "Freaky Friday" moment where they switched bodies or something, and they've just never switched back! :D

LauraF
07-29-2008, 01:17 PM
Not only do they fetch, but both of mine come when they're called. I demonstrated one time for the vet, because he didn't believe me. :D

TINKERBELL_82
07-29-2008, 01:43 PM
Ha Ha Ha- too funny! I thought I was the only one with dogs in cat bodies!

I have 2- a boy and a girl, who follow me everywhere, come when they are called, and love thier bellies scratched. My little boy even loves baths!

Now if I could just get them to walk on a leash...

Cookie123
07-29-2008, 02:01 PM
My cats do come when they are called ..... but especially if I shake that little treat bag. LOL!

I keep encouraging them to play fetch, but they just won't do it! I have a brother / sister duo.

Picture this: Casey, my orange, overweight male kitty, got one of those foam golf balls stuck on one claw. He kept trying to "throw" it off !! LOL! He really looked like a human little boy trying to throw a ball ! What a riot !!

pink
07-29-2008, 02:39 PM
One of our cats plays fetch, he's a siamese. :mickey:

Itchy
07-29-2008, 02:50 PM
Well my dear cat ( FANG ) that I rescued from the pound is solid white and she is totally deaf and loves to play fetch. She keeps fetching it and bring it to me and putting the paper ball in my hand. She does this until she gets so tired that she just lays down and quits. I must communicated to here in sign :number1: and that means no. Not that she cares.

Love my kitty....:mickey:

mrsgaribaldi
07-29-2008, 03:08 PM
Mine like to play monkey in the middle, especially Charlie. We toss a mouse back and forth and he jumps up and swats at it or grabs it. He's really quite good at it. Al gets into it too but he's more hesitant than his brother:mickey:

Nut4DW
07-29-2008, 03:45 PM
None of my cats fetch - but my daughter's cat, Maddie fetches like a pro. I always thought it was because she watched my daughter's dog - Lady fetch, but maybe not. She also chases a laser beam around - which is something only my female cat will do. The two boys, who are much younger than Angel just look at it but won't try to catch it. Angel will go all over the place trying to catch it. It is so funny....

RenDuran
07-29-2008, 04:45 PM
My cat likes it when I shred up paper and sprinkle it through the air so it falls all around her. She goes nuts trying to catch all the little pieces.

DreaminofDisney24
07-30-2008, 12:58 PM
One of my cats totally plays fetch! Frodo loves his "puffs" (tiny little puff balls) and carries them around. He also knows the word for "puff" and goes and gets it from his toy box when asked. There are mornings that I wake up with a puff in my bed, because he puts it there just in case we want to play with him in the middle of the night. Both of my cats also walk on leashes with harnesses, come when they are called, and go to work with me!

MamaStyles
07-30-2008, 04:12 PM
I've had 2 cats that love to play 'fetch', especially with a piece of computer paper rolled into a ball. They could go on and on for hours, if you stop throwing, they give you a 'look'!

Also, my cats greet me. When they hear the key in the door, they both coming running. I call them my 'welcoming committee'!:welcome::cat:
----------------------------------------------------------
There's a great, big, beautiful tomorrow,
Shining at the end of ev'ry day

brad192
07-30-2008, 04:47 PM
My two current cats don't play fetch, but my dear departed Fritzi used to - with one annoying habit. He'd fetch all right, but bring it back & drop it on the floor just out of my reach so I would have to get up or lean over a long way to retrieve the item. :mad: Hmmm....on second thought, maybe he had ME trained! :blush:

AdventurelandTikiGirl
07-30-2008, 05:36 PM
Great thread :cat: I have two cats that play fetch. I never taught them, somehow they innately knew what to do. The thing that gets me is that I throw the "object" and they bring it back in two seconds. It gets tiring. My boy kitty follows me all over my house, and is always lurking nearby. Both kitties know their names, come when called, and don't allow me to close any door without them getting upset (including when I'm showering...they jump between the shower curtains sometimes). I also bring my cats out on leashes. I saw a coyote in my neighborhood, so I've put that activity on hold.

Mousemates
07-31-2008, 01:22 AM
Our last cat (MaoMao) used to love to play fetch with paper wads....I'd throw them behind a large stationary chair...she would run across the run, jump into the seat of the chair then over the back and climb out with the paper wad which she would drop at my feet.

RAIDER
07-31-2008, 04:18 AM
Yep my cat called Badger ,loves nothing more than me scrunching up a bit of newspaper and chucking it around the house for her to fetch ....

Its amazing how you can buy pets so many toys but its always the stupid things left around that they find the best to play in ...such as a cardbord box or a straw :D

laprana
07-31-2008, 11:05 AM
Its amazing how you can buy pets so many toys but its always the stupid things left around that they find the best to play in ...such as a cardbord box or a straw :D

Isn't that the truth! I just bought my cat a brand new, cozy, soft bed a couple weeks ago...Nah, she'd rather sleep in an old ratty cardboard box. And forget those catnip toys or fuzzy mice! She's much happier with a leaf she brought in from the back yard, a gum wrapper, or a dryer sheet! :D

The Reservoir Dog
07-31-2008, 11:14 AM
My cat Dave will occasionally bring a letter that the postman puts through the box up the stairs and leave it on the landing.

I'm not happy with Dave at the moment because I caught him peeing on my sofabed this morning. :mad:

DisneyDog
07-31-2008, 11:14 AM
I lost those little plastic bolt covers from my powder room toilet because the cat used them to play hockey! I still have no idea where one of them got to.

Vintage Disney
07-31-2008, 03:46 PM
Our youngest cat Maisie loves to play fetch with plastic bottle caps (the type that are on soda or water bottles) and paper handles ( from paper shopping bags). She also loves to tear up paper plates and napkins. She is definately a puppy and cat all in one. She was born with just half of a tail so she even wags her tail like a dog.

Someone above said that their cat has them trained -- I agree, my cats have me extremely well trained. Dogs have masters, cats have staff.

Stich8818
07-31-2008, 06:39 PM
[QUOTE=scoot241;1700861]Our cat likes to fetch paper and foam balls (they look like golf balls).

My cat Mandy just loves those and she will play fetch she loves too. Dobby and Gabby dont want anything to do with those. But also too she loves to have strings..like old shoe strings are her favorite..she treats them like a "blankie" but then she also has this bad habit of putting the strings in the water dish, of course then the string gets soaked and then there is a puddle formation on my kitchen floor...as we like to say.."Lake Mandy strikes again"

Jeri Lynn
07-31-2008, 06:49 PM
None of my five cats play fetch...however, they do bring in live chipmunks and frogs so that I can play fetch!!

conorsmom2000
08-01-2008, 09:25 AM
I lost those little plastic bolt covers from my powder room toilet because the cat used them to play hockey! I still have no idea where one of them got to.

That made me laugh because Conor is always forgetting to put the cap back on his toothpaste, much to our cat Bailey's delight - we find them under dressers and couches because he just loves to bat them around the house.

Bailey does not fetch, but could bat a ball around the house for hours. He also loves when there is light reflected on the wall (from your watch, etc.) - he could chase that light for hours.

What cracks me up the most is how much Bailey gets away with from our Black Lab, Molly. We had Bailey first and when Molly came home, Bailey was not happy. Now, almost 4 years later, Bailey will lie down in Molly's crate with her and is constantly using Molly to rub up against - and not to mention, just swipe at her for no good reason. Not in a mean way, but just as in a "hey, I'm over here" kind of way. Molly just lies there and takes it all! It's so funny to see our dogs head constantly covered in cat hair!