PDA

View Full Version : Should they update Norway's ride

Imagineer1981
07-29-2008, 10:37 AM
Forgive me for forgetting the name of the ride, but do you think it needs an update? I think its a cool ride, but its so short and I wonder if there is a way to make it longer and almost more along the lines of Splash to bring another E-ticket to Epcot

Faver
07-29-2008, 10:44 AM
I like Maelstrom.... The slow beginning, and educational feel, really fools you, and you don't expect the "little bit of excitement" near the end.

I take the Ferry
07-29-2008, 10:52 AM
I think the ride is cool the way it is. I do think they should update the movie afterwards, though.

I'm not sure how I feel about an E-ticket ride in World Showcase. One of the things I like about WS is how laid-back it is. I think one reason it is so relaxing is because there's no single attraction that dominates the others. That kind of keeps everyone meandering along. If there was an E-ticket on one side of the lake I think it would mess up the traffic pattern, and mess up my World Showcase.

I'm fine with them keeping the E-tickets up front and letting us chill in the back. But that's just my opinion.

K, Slater!
I take the Ferry!

Polynesian Dweller
07-29-2008, 10:57 AM
I voted for maybe, refreshen a bit. The movie could be updated, and new technology over the years can improve the look of some things. But I'm not so sure I'd want E ticket level rides in World Showcase.

biodtl
07-29-2008, 11:09 AM
A freshening would be good. As in - update that movie!

MississippiDisneyFreak
07-29-2008, 11:14 AM
I voted to freshen it up, but I really do like it already

AmandaChan
07-29-2008, 11:15 AM
I voted for 'no, leave it' because I LOVE that ride. If they changed it I hope it would be a good change. But I love the eye shining at you when you go to the top, the room with the oil plant thing is really neat, and the backup of the boat ALWAYS freaks me out. We always have to get a fastpass for this ride (well, usually) because so many people like it. I guess change goes along with everything Disney. It just makes going back every year better when there is something new to experience.

avantgardeinker
07-29-2008, 12:14 PM
I think the ride is cool the way it is. I do think they should update the movie afterwards, though.

I'm not sure how I feel about an E-ticket ride in World Showcase. One of the things I like about WS is how laid-back it is. I think one reason it is so relaxing is because there's no single attraction that dominates the others. That kind of keeps everyone meandering along. If there was an E-ticket on one side of the lake I think it would mess up the traffic pattern, and mess up my World Showcase.

I'm fine with them keeping the E-tickets up front and letting us chill in the back. But that's just my opinion.

K, Slater!
I take the Ferry!

I agree 100%!!!

:mickey:

Jeff G
07-29-2008, 12:22 PM
The only improvement I would suggest is a direct exit from the ride. We always seem to finish our ride just as the doors for the movie shut and we have to wait 5 minutes to exit.

WinnipegDisneyFanatic
07-29-2008, 12:26 PM
I'm a Maybe.

Freshening it up would be nice - I don't remember too much about it, and I only rode it last September. I do remember the drop, the town, and walking past a giant move screen at the end :blush:

Chris :hatter:

KAJUNKING
07-29-2008, 12:31 PM
a little clean up wouldn't be bad but i would hope they didn't change it to much

Imagineer1981
07-29-2008, 12:51 PM
The only improvement I would suggest is a direct exit from the ride. We always seem to finish our ride just as the doors for the movie shut and we have to wait 5 minutes to exit.

Exactly, thats so you have to watch the film (in theory)...I think move the film somewhere else, make it a stand alone attraction at Norway and make Maelstrom longer and more exciting

TINKERBELL_82
07-29-2008, 12:55 PM
This is a very sensitive subject for me. I'm all for a little freshening up, maybe a new, more fluid set of polar bears, some updating on the special effects of the trolls or things like that. That is, afterall, the sprit of Epcot- showcasing our ever changing world.

That being said- I almost cried when I rode what used to be El Rio del Tiempo. They took what used to be a ride displaying the history and beauty of mexico and absolutely runied it with uneducational nonsense. They totally could have freshened up that ride instead of turning it into junk. I know they were trying to make the ride appealing to young children, but what about the older people who really enjoyed learning about different cultures?:(

This sounds really harsh and I apologize if I am offending anyone who enjoys the new Mexico ride. I just don't ever want that to happen to another ride again!

(Told you it was a sensitive subject for me!);)

I take the Ferry
07-29-2008, 01:15 PM

Oh, AMEN to that! That is so annoying, to see the doors close just as you get off the boat... I've had to wait several times in that little unloading area. Not cool.

K, Slater!
I take the Ferry!

LauraF
07-29-2008, 01:24 PM
No more e-ticket rides in Epcot please. Especially NOT in the WS. That's not what I go there for.

If I want thrill rides, I'll go to Universal or Six Flags.

An update is fine, but don't change the format.

Mackflava99
07-29-2008, 01:35 PM
In reality- they should UPDATE the movie- - then make us watch it FIRST ( i know i know- but it is air conditioned and its better than waiting in queue)
Then just update the animatronics and stuff but not change the theme or anything else. Actually the part where you go near the oil rig is great but could be MUCH COOLER with some splashing etc-

CraniumCommando
07-29-2008, 04:12 PM
The only thing wrong with the Maelstrom is it's too short!

But I wouldn't change a thing. :thumbsup:

Imagineer1981
07-29-2008, 05:21 PM
This is a very sensitive subject for me. I'm all for a little freshening up, maybe a new, more fluid set of polar bears, some updating on the special effects of the trolls or things like that. That is, afterall, the sprit of Epcot- showcasing our ever changing world.

That being said- I almost cried when I rode what used to be El Rio del Tiempo. They took what used to be a ride displaying the history and beauty of mexico and absolutely runied it with uneducational nonsense. They totally could have freshened up that ride instead of turning it into junk. I know they were trying to make the ride appealing to young children, but what about the older people who really enjoyed learning about different cultures?:(

This sounds really harsh and I apologize if I am offending anyone who enjoys the new Mexico ride. I just don't ever want that to happen to another ride again!

(Told you it was a sensitive subject for me!);)

I am just glad I found someone who agrees with me on El Rio...they destroyed it

A Big Kid
07-29-2008, 05:41 PM

K, Slater!
I take the Ferry!

YOu cant be more wrong! It is MY World Showcase.

dteed
07-29-2008, 05:53 PM
I enjoy it as is.

Mousemates
07-29-2008, 08:33 PM
Maelstrom is what it is and its okay...would much prefer a new ride in Epcot as opposed to a major rehab on one of the few rides there that has a little excitement already.

GhostHost999
07-29-2008, 11:11 PM
I think it could use a little primping and maybe an update to the movie, but on the whole, it's a good ride. I like the gift shop too. :D

beksy
07-29-2008, 11:16 PM
I am just glad I found someone who agrees with me on El Rio...they destroyed it

I totally agree! It and the Norway ride used to be my favorites at Epcot but now I don't like it at all. I would hate for something similar to happen to Norway!

SpecJoe Magic
07-30-2008, 01:14 AM
I think move the film somewhere else, make it a stand alone attraction at Norway and make Maelstrom longer and more exciting

I don't think the film would attract enough visitors by itself. It seems that most people bypass the film now, so I seriously doubt that most people would make the effort to see it.

I prefer that the film be removed completely. Norway would still have a decent ride, which is more than most of the countries at World Showcase can claim.

I agree with your statement about the ride itself.

RAIDER
07-30-2008, 04:09 AM
Clean up the poor polar bear ..he's moth eaten :D

OleDoleDoffin
07-30-2008, 04:46 AM
And now, a little report from Norway :D

We rode this ride when we were in Epcot in January 2005. I should probably say that we are a bilingual/bicultural family, Norwegian and American, and when we are in the States the kids want to be and act very American. But they practically dragged us on this ride because they were so curious. We all thought the ride itself was good, though rather short; a little new fur on the polar bear, a bit of tweaking here and there, and this ride will I think be as good as new.

But OH! That film!

Now, if you don't watch ski jumping you wouldn't notice this detail - but if you do, it's a glaring example of just how outdated the movie is, before you even have a chance to notice the hair and the clothes... The ski jumper has his ski tips together!! This "plow style" was last seen in any sort of competition around 1993 or so. Since then, ALL skiers have used the "V-style", with the tips spread apart - it wasn't considered as "elegant", but as it gradually became clear how much further you can glide with your skis in the V, one jumper after another decided that elegance could go fly a kite and went for the distance points. And thus did the V style take over the world - 15 years ago.

So we sat down to watch the film with our two sons, who were 4 and 10 at the time. And as soon as our 10-year-old saw the ski jumper, jumping in a way he had never seen in his lifetime - he said a very naughty word, and he said it very loudly :blush: Fortunately, he said it in Norwegian - the only word he said in Norwegian during the whole trip! - and the only one who understood him was the CM standing by the doors, who covered her mouth and laughed at him!

So my vote - UPDATE THE MOVIE! But leave the ride mostly as it is.

Oh, and bring back the Ringnes beer! :beer:

laprana
07-30-2008, 10:11 AM
I voted maybe. I love this ride and would hate to see anything major changed on it! But, it could use a little TLC and freshening up. I totally agree with everyone else who said the movie needs to be updated, and those who want a separate exit from the ride. There's been many times when I've gotten off the boat just to see the doors to the movie closing, and knew we'd be stuck there for a while. It was pretty annoying! I think they should at least have 2 exits - one for people who want to go watch the movie, and another for people who just want to exit.

Imagineer1981
07-30-2008, 10:31 AM
And now, a little report from Norway :D

We rode this ride when we were in Epcot in January 2005. I should probably say that we are a bilingual/bicultural family, Norwegian and American, and when we are in the States the kids want to be and act very American. But they practically dragged us on this ride because they were so curious. We all thought the ride itself was good, though rather short; a little new fur on the polar bear, a bit of tweaking here and there, and this ride will I think be as good as new.

But OH! That film!

Now, if you don't watch ski jumping you wouldn't notice this detail - but if you do, it's a glaring example of just how outdated the movie is, before you even have a chance to notice the hair and the clothes... The ski jumper has his ski tips together!! This "plow style" was last seen in any sort of competition around 1993 or so. Since then, ALL skiers have used the "V-style", with the tips spread apart - it wasn't considered as "elegant", but as it gradually became clear how much further you can glide with your skis in the V, one jumper after another decided that elegance could go fly a kite and went for the distance points. And thus did the V style take over the world - 15 years ago.

So we sat down to watch the film with our two sons, who were 4 and 10 at the time. And as soon as our 10-year-old saw the ski jumper, jumping in a way he had never seen in his lifetime - he said a very naughty word, and he said it very loudly :blush: Fortunately, he said it in Norwegian - the only word he said in Norwegian during the whole trip! - and the only one who understood him was the CM standing by the doors, who covered her mouth and laughed at him!

So my vote - UPDATE THE MOVIE! But leave the ride mostly as it is.

Oh, and bring back the Ringnes beer! :beer:

Very cool to get a true Norwegian's opinion!!!

bruin1344
07-30-2008, 01:30 PM
i enjoy this ride a lot

jszczur5
07-30-2008, 06:05 PM
Wow, I am in the minority here. We always do Maelstrom every year, but I really only do it for the kids. I don't get its appeal. I think the kids only want to ride it as there are not that many rides in World Showcase. I think it needs a major overhaul, not least of which, is a way to bypass the long wait at the end if the film has already started.

kbean
07-30-2008, 06:16 PM
Leave it!!! It's one of the only few remaining classic rides left. Everytime Epcot updates or changes something classic, majority of the time it's for the worse.

snerd475
07-30-2008, 06:26 PM
I agree about the movie. We scamper right through the theater each and every time to avoid the outdated travelogue. But that is the easy part.

The one thing I would TRY to change is that queue! It is the worst! It is so dark and claustrophobic. Because it's so closed in, it's so humid from the water, and you can only look at that mural and maps for so long.

I will not go on unless I get a FP or the standby is less than 5 minutes. If I see people from the door, I know it's TOO long!

Does anyone else feel claustrophobic in there? No other queues bother me like this one, including and of the Mountains or Soarin'.

DisneyorBust
07-30-2008, 06:41 PM
I really enjoy this attraction, I would like to see WDW update the animatronics for the polar bears, and synchronize the scene were the man is blowing the horn! It never matches up!
As far as the film goes, twice we tried to view it and waited 15-20 minutes and left due to the fact that the movie wasn't close to starting.

GrmGrninGost
07-30-2008, 07:46 PM
I think the Maelstrom could use some "refreshing". I like it as is, but it could be improved! :mickey:

Crow
07-30-2008, 08:37 PM
the movie needs it
not sure how much of the ride could be...I wouldnt mind it longer

thejens
07-30-2008, 11:05 PM
I agree with those who said don't do it like Rio del Tiempo. Don't add silly characters. I like it that it is a ride that my young children enjoy and find a little thrilling. I love Disney because it has rides that are "in between" the thrill level of the teacups and Tower of Terror.

pdrlkr
07-30-2008, 11:27 PM
Leave it alone!

disneyorvegas
08-01-2008, 12:11 PM
I remember the first time we went on it, upon recommendation of a friend of ours, he made it sound like a crazy thrill ride! After I experienced it I wanted to kill him! It's an okay ride, but I just wasn't in the mood that day and I also expected a thrilling ride. Then to top it off, after you got off the ride you were literally trapped inside listening to a speech about Norway!
I've gotten over that day and we have been on the ride since. It would be great with some updating, any ride like that with a film needs to be updated every ten years at least. They also need to have direct and immediate access outside when you get off the ride.

hubbyofadisneyholic
08-01-2008, 10:31 PM
Leave it alone!! With the track record on "changes" over the last few yrs I'm afraid to think how they would screw this one up.

Every attraction doesn't have to be a thrill ride.

chrisb26
08-01-2008, 10:54 PM
I voted for maybe.

I like the ride but I really don't like the ending we've never stayed for the movie and I haven't seen anybody else do it either. In fact the last time I was there in May they just had the doors open and had everybody passing by you didn't even get a chance to see it if you wanted.

I think it would be nice to give an option to just exit. This is especially true when you get stuck for 5 minutes waiting for the doors to open. Although then probably nobody would see the movie. So they could probably just remove it lol

Mickey91
08-02-2008, 11:01 PM
I think just a refurb of the film would be good.