PDA

View Full Version : El Rio del Tiempo or Los Tres Caballeros?

AmandaChan
07-29-2008, 01:11 AM
I understand that they probably changed this ride to gain a little more attention and riders, but I enjoyed the old one. It was so trippy and neat. Which one did you enjoy most?

El Rio del Tiempo
-o-
Los Tres Caballeros (The Three Caballeros)

(In EPCOT)

:mickey::mickey::mickey:

RAIDER
07-29-2008, 04:45 AM
I have to go for the Los Tres Caballeros (The Three Caballeros)

The old one was so out of date and the revamp is much better :thumbsup:

GrmGrninGost
07-29-2008, 05:57 AM
Close call, but I voted for the update! :mickey:

BritCody
07-29-2008, 06:48 AM
I'm not much for change, but this is one time I am ok with it

Spaceship Tigger
07-29-2008, 07:15 AM
I actually prefer tne new version, but I miss the days when you could pick up a margarita from outside and bring it on the ride.

lotrfan
07-29-2008, 08:05 AM
I like the additions they made to the new ride.

mossylog
07-29-2008, 08:15 AM
:thumbsup:i liked the old ride, well basically because its the only version i've riden. i don't know how to vote because the three caballeros is in my top 3 disney movies of all time and i'm going down to disney in september and ill have to see if its better than the original.

SBETigg
07-29-2008, 08:22 AM
I don't mind the new version, but I prefer the old one. It was in serious need of refurbishment, so I don't mind that they went in a slightly new direction, but I'm not sure it had to be a character-driven direction. Donald's my husband's favorite, so he really likes it.

IamBelle
07-29-2008, 08:32 AM
Since I haven't rode Los Tres Caballeros, I voted for El Rio De Tiempo. I like when you went to the marketplace and the lady followed your boat.

dixielandings
07-29-2008, 08:50 AM
I liked the old version but I'm ok with the new version. TThey kept some of the cool elements from before, which I appreciate. The thing I miss the most is the old narration, especially that first part, going through the tunnel. And I miss those circa '70's tourists in the hot tub. :thumbsup: I guess I thought of the old one as kind of a history/culture lesson and that doesn't really get "dated" - although I know it at least needed some refurb love.

Of all the recent changes at WDW, this is one of the ones I mind the least.

laprana
07-29-2008, 09:41 AM
I liked the old version a little better than the new, but I agree that it was in need of a refurb! I'm glad they kept quite a bit from the old ride, though, like the fiberoptic fireworks on the ceiling toward the end. That was always my favorite part! :fworks:

ibelieveindisneymagic
07-29-2008, 10:19 AM
This was a hard one...the old was so cheesy, but the new one isn't awesome either.

At the end of the day, I went for the new one...DD really liked it better :mickey:

dolphinmickey9170
07-29-2008, 10:23 AM
I like both versions, however, I voted for the update!!:mickey:

Imagineer1981
07-29-2008, 10:27 AM
I voted for the old. There are parts of the old version that needed some help and refurb, but just changing all the videos to have Donald is not the solution. Its just a band-aid on what needed to be a complete revamp.

BoricuaBell
07-29-2008, 10:37 AM
My son loves the new version, and I love Donald, so my vote's for the new version! :thumbsup:

Dragongirlx
07-29-2008, 10:38 AM
I found the old one slightly boring so I voted for the new version but I agree that a bigger refurb is needed

AmandaChan
07-29-2008, 11:18 AM
I voted for the old. There are parts of the old version that needed some help and refurb, but just changing all the videos to have Donald is not the solution. Its just a band-aid on what needed to be a complete revamp.

These were my feelings exactly the first time I rode the new version.

DNS
07-29-2008, 11:51 AM
I went with El Rio del Tiempo, but I honestly like them both. Maybe the original slightly better.

Jeff G
07-29-2008, 12:17 PM
I went with the new version. I thought the updates were a good blend of Meixcan culture and Disney characters. Plus my kids loved the new ride, they made me ride it several times.

I never had a problem with the old ride but I thought it was showing it's age and needed an update and this case they did a good job.

KAJUNKING
07-29-2008, 12:24 PM
i like the update much better, and the kids really like it a lot more

threeh
07-29-2008, 01:48 PM
I prefer the original, it may have been dated but I enjoyed it!!!

TINKERBELL_82
07-29-2008, 02:32 PM
I really miss the old version. It definitely needed an updating, but what the heck does Donald Duck have to do with the history of Mexico. Isn't Epcot supposed to be educational? All of the other pavillions showcase the history and culture of the different Countries.

I miss El Rio Del Tiempo- a lot. :(

Young@Heart
07-29-2008, 03:01 PM
I haven't had a chance to see the new version yet. Is it really that much different than the original?

mrsgaribaldi
07-29-2008, 03:06 PM

Ditto:mickey:

Gator
07-29-2008, 03:38 PM
I haven't been on the new version yet, but anything is better than what it was.

ILoveLegos
07-29-2008, 05:33 PM
I voted that I like the new version better, but I miss the La-La La-La LaaaLa song and the goodbyes at the end of the ride. I found the people selling in the market place a little embarassing ... :( ... so I'm glad that part changed. Besides Donald Duck is cute and the Mayan temple priest isn't there and the ride doesn't scare my little niece, nephews and cousins - so to me ... It's all good!

beksy
07-29-2008, 11:21 PM
This is one I have strong feelings on...I LOVED the old one and was very disappointed with the new version. I agree that it could have used some updating but its not at all like it used to be and I miss that! I would rather have the old, bad technology back than watch this goofy new version. I know I'm in the minority but it was one of my favorite rides at Epcot and now I don't care if I ride it at all. :mad:

Stich8818
07-30-2008, 02:14 PM
See I am either way on this one..The old one was in need of a refurb in the worst way but then the new one being character driven..I am going to have to go even for me...I can always listen to the old ride audio on my mp3 if I need too.

Imagineer1981
07-30-2008, 03:42 PM
I posted a similar comment on this board, and I'll do it again. I think WS is meant for this just, showcasing areas of the world, and Los Tres Caballeros is now a story about Donald and really has nothing to do with the culture of Mexico. There are plenty of other areas that Characters/movies can dominate the theme of an attraction, but I don't think WS is the place for it.

Dawnya
07-30-2008, 05:18 PM
I had to say that I missed the old one. I enjoyed the ride through Mexico and the music. The new one just seems cheesy and silly to me.

Laughin' place
07-30-2008, 09:46 PM
I have to go strongly for the original. Was it dated, maybe a little non-PC ? Yes. But the beginning scenes of the priests, warriors, dancers -- the ancient music and dance-- the journey down a river of time from the past to the present (ok, the early 80's) !! These are all lost in the new version . I think most riders (adults and children alike), are so busy watching Los Caballeros that they never see the sights and sounds of Mexico. :marg:

Mousemates
07-31-2008, 12:58 AM
In my opinion the original ride needed something and thus CAbellaros is better, (though I think the ride could still use some serious plussing).

bruin1344
07-31-2008, 01:30 PM
the old version became old and corny, it looked like it hadnt been updated since epcot opened, i like the new version better because caballeros are disney related

Lightning McQueen
07-31-2008, 02:10 PM
I thought the new one is called Gran Fiesta Tour?

ASweetLov
07-31-2008, 02:10 PM
I never went on the old El Rio Del Tiempo but I love the new one. I have always loved the three caballeros:thumbsup:

indytraveler
07-31-2008, 07:46 PM
it has added some life to the ride. sorry

AdventurelandTikiGirl
07-31-2008, 09:54 PM
I voted for El Rio. I'm nostalgic for the way rides were when I was a kid, and, with the exception of Haunted Mansion, I haven't liked any of WDW's updates. Even though the old one was cheesy, it lost a certain "feel" when it was updated to include the characters. The pace of the ride changed. It's no longer something to savor. I understand the need for updates, and I'm glad people are enjoying it....just not me!

pdrlkr
07-31-2008, 10:21 PM
I went with Los Tres Caballeros! :thumbsup:

avantgardeinker
08-01-2008, 11:08 AM
I have to go for the Los Tres Caballeros (The Three Caballeros)

The old one was so out of date and the revamp is much better :thumbsup:

My sentiments exactly!!! I love the update!

:mickey:

grego77
08-01-2008, 11:13 AM
I voted for Rio simply because I loved the song so much (it's my ringtone!) :D

OogieBoogieMan
08-01-2008, 11:33 PM
I wasn't very happy about them messing with El Rio Del Tiempo and posted as much a couple of years back. Sure it needed some help but Donald wasn't what I had in mind. It has subsequently grown on me but hasn't won me over. I think the Three Cabellros thing is all about merchandising. It reminds me of Yogurt from Spaceballs:

"Merchandising, merchandising, where the real money from the movie is made. Spaceballs-the T-shirt, Spaceballs-the Coloring Book, Spaceballs-the Lunch box, Spaceballs-the Breakfast Cereal, Spaceballs-the Flame Thrower"

I shouldn't delude myself into to thinking they might choose another course, but it is the place where dreams come true....

bertasso59
08-02-2008, 05:47 PM
I have not seen the update yet but am looking foreward to it(in 6 weeks!).It sounds like just what the ride needed.I enjoyed the update they did to the Tiki room years ago.

Mickey91
08-02-2008, 10:59 PM
I like the new one with the Three Caballeros!

AmandaChan
08-03-2008, 12:52 AM
I wasn't very happy about them messing with El Rio Del Tiempo and posted as much a couple of years back. Sure it needed some help but Donald wasn't what I had in mind. It has subsequently grown on me but hasn't won me over.

I'm pretty sure it won't be winning me over anytime in the near future.

disneymom2000
08-03-2008, 01:01 PM
I don't really mind the upgrade but I can't tell too much difference. I just thought the added animation was a little bit cheesy. I love the information about Mexico no matter how I get it.

DunkieKong
08-03-2008, 02:35 PM
I chose the original as well, but I do like the update. I'm sure the more I ride the new version, I'll start to like it better.

DisneyDog
08-04-2008, 11:42 AM
I was extemely disappointed in the update. I though it was awful. And, if they were doing improvements to the ride, they should have at least fixed the ending where the boats crash into each other.

We used to go on that ride 3 or 4 times each trip. Last trip we went on it once. And I don't care if I ever go on it again. I didn't think it was cheesy before. I thought it was fun. Now I find it obnoxious and embarrassing, and now it's definitely cheesy.