PDA

View Full Version : Need to know Child Booster Seat Laws in Ontario, New York, and Vermont

alphamommy
07-28-2008, 05:43 PM
We are leaving for our epic driving vacation this Saturday. DD is a petite 8.5 year old, around 52 inches or so.

In Michigan, children must be in a booster seat until age 8 or 4 ft. 9 in. height. We need to know if she needs to be in a booster seat in Ontario, New York, or Vermont.

I found several links using Google, but they appear to be older (2005 or so) articles. I want to make sure we have up to date information before we leave.

It appears that, legally, she doesn't need the booster seat in VT or NY, but I can't confirm anything official about Ontario.

Can anyone from any of these three places let me know what the law really is?

Thanks!!
Tammy

ttccluvsdis
07-28-2008, 06:05 PM
Hi, I live in NY and can only speak for this state.
I have 2 young children and I keep an eye on the changing laws. The law was last changed in 2005. The law reads:
Effective March 27, 2005: all back seat passengers who are age four or older but under age seven must be restrained in an appropriate child restraint system. A child older than four years of age and over four feet nine inches in height may be restrained by a safety belt.

Have fun on your vacation!
Traci

medic9016
07-28-2008, 06:57 PM
Look here at the Safe Kids USA (http://www.usa.safekids.org/)website. Look on the lower right side of the page and you can select each state. You can look on the Safe kids world wide site to find the Canada Laws.

goofyfan4466
07-28-2008, 07:56 PM
Look here at the Safe Kids USA (http://www.usa.safekids.org/)website. Look on the lower right side of the page and you can select each state. You can look on the Safe kids world wide site to find the Canada Laws.

GOOD INFORMATION TO KNOW !! THANK YOU

Flower
07-28-2008, 08:13 PM
NO, she does not need to be in a booster seat in Ontario!

* Weigh between 40-80 lbs (18-36kg)
* Stand less than 4'9" (145cm)
* Are younger than 8 years age
and
* Travel with caregivers, babysitters, parents & grandparents

A child can start using a seatbelt alone once any one of the following criteria is met:

* Child turns eight years old
* Child weighs 36kg (80lbs)
* Child is 145 cm (4 feet 9 inches) tall

More Information

* Transport Canada, 1-800-333-0371
* Ministry of Transportation, 1-800-268-4686

**Since DD is older than 8 and taller than 4'9" you will be okay in our wonderful Province!

Where are you traveling to in ON?

alphamommy
07-29-2008, 10:00 AM
A child can start using a seatbelt alone once any one of the following criteria is met:

* Child turns eight years old
* Child weighs 36kg (80lbs)
* Child is 145 cm (4 feet 9 inches) tall

More Information

* Transport Canada, 1-800-333-0371
* Ministry of Transportation, 1-800-268-4686

[B]**Since DD is older than 8 and taller than 4'9" you will be okay in our wonderful Province!

Where are you traveling to in ON?

Except she's not over 4'9" - she's only about 4'4' (around 52"). However, she does meet the age requirement. I think we may take the booster anyway, just because she can see out the car window better with it.

As for where we're going, we're starting at Niagara Falls, then going to Cooperstown, NY, and Smuggler's Notch, Vermont. We'll stay there for a week, then hit Lake Placid on our way to Toronto for a couple days. When we leave Toronto, we're stopping in Stratford to see a matinee of "The Music Man". This will be DD's first trip to Canada, so she's very excited. She's especially looking forward to the Hockey Hall of Fame, so she can see the Stanley Cup.

Thanks to everyone for their help!
Tammy