PDA

View Full Version : What type of room? Grand Villa availability?

Figment78
07-28-2008, 01:13 PM
During our decision process, we are talking about how many points we would need, etc. I figured we would need enough for a studio rarely, a 1 bedroom mostly, a 2 bedroom every now and again, and occasionally, it would be nice to have a grand villa and go with the whole family.

There seem to be so few Grand Villas available at BWV and none at BCV and WLV (the two places we were considering). Most are at AKL, SSR, and OKW (none of which we were going to buy) Is it possible to get a Grand Villa at your non-home resort (at the 7 month window) or are they all mostly gone by then? What experiences have you all had?

Second part of this post, I was curious as to what room types you usually reserve with your points....

wendy*darling
07-28-2008, 02:47 PM
Well, the answer to all of your questions is "It depends!" :D

I voted in the poll- but, in truth, I would say we are pretty well equal on studios and 2 bedrooms. We try to go twice a year. One trip is just DH & I, the other trip is with our 2 DS (now 18 & 21).

When the kids were younger- a 1 bedroom was fine. Now that they are older, they like the more private bedroom and their own bathroom.

How many people are in your family? And don't just think about now- the kids will grow up and your needs will change.

As far as Grand Villas- again it depends. In the busy seasons and in the first 2 weeks of December, I would guess it would be pretty difficult to reserve a GV outside of your home resort. But maybe not impossible.

I still recommend buying where you would like to stay most of the time. We move around a lot- but sometimes nothing else is available. So we are just as happy to stay put in our Home Resort(s). And with more and more Members- the smaller resorts will be more elusive every year.

Mackflava99
07-28-2008, 02:56 PM
I agree with Linda-

Its definitely possible, its just depends when and where-
also the grand villa at OKW is pretty awesome- a friend stayed there and i stopped bye to look- its like a seperate house all to yourself.

If you plan well and call at the right times, the DVC stays are usually easy enought o get- it just depends on peak times etc-
But its definitely possible

dlpmikki
07-28-2008, 06:10 PM
We have stayed in all sizes but the majority of our stays are one beds - especially at OKW where they are huge. We thought that we would be staying in studios more but we love the space

thumperbug
07-28-2008, 06:30 PM
99% of the time we stay in a 1 bedroom. My DS is only 6 so he has no privacy issues and doesn't mind the pull out in the living room...especially since he then gets the TV to himself. We have stayed in a 2 bedroom once, but haven't tried a studio. It really does truly depend on the ages of your kids (if any) and how option you plan to visit WDW.

DVC Mike
07-28-2008, 07:27 PM
There are just the two of us (no kids), but we typically stay in a 1-BR instead of a Studio. We appreciate the bigger space, separate living room from the bedroom, the full kitchen, the washer/dryer, the whirlpool tub, and (most importantly) the KING sized bed!

Yes, it's about twice the number of points than a studio -- but it's worth it to us!

princessjojo
07-28-2008, 08:01 PM
We prefer the 2br because the boys generally like to have their own beds and bathroom and I just hate the hassle of the pull out couch. It just gets in my way. That said, we're going in a few weeks and will be staying in a studio but there's only me and one, maybe two DS.

Kidsmom
07-28-2008, 09:39 PM
We have 4 kids...so we have to do 2 bed-room...that was a big part of us buying into DVC.

We also had last time and this next visit in Feb. we have grandparents staying with us for about half of our 8 night trip. We still have lots of room.

I am sure in the years ahead with will use all the different sizes and different resorts, but so far it has been the 2-bedrooms.

dixielandings
07-29-2008, 10:26 AM
Yeah, I thought I'd be totally content in the studio - and I was until we stayed in the 1BR. The space difference is just so much, I'll always want to stay in one, unless we're trying to conserve points for a larger purpose - like trying to take the fam down for T'giving '09. :secret: