PDA

View Full Version : DVDS With HD?

disneycutie165
07-28-2008, 08:20 AM
I have spent a fortune on DVD's recently, and I was wondering if we could use DVD's when we have HD tvs. I have let a lot of money go to waste, and I want to be able to use them when we have HD. Does any one if we can still use them?
MY MONEY GROWS ON TREES!NOT!:spend:

SpecJoe Magic
07-28-2008, 08:23 AM
By HD, do you mean a Blu-Ray player or just an HD television? The answer is yes either way.

WRWDisney
07-28-2008, 09:46 AM
As I read your post, you are asking if the DVD's will be able to be displayed once you get an HDTV. The quick answer is yes. The even better answer is that they will look very good. Specifically, if you have a DVD player that can up-convert, they will look much better than standard TV on an HDTV. Most new DVD players up-convert. If you have an older one, you can replace it with an up-converting one for less than $100. Make certain that you use an HDMI cable to connect the DVD player to the new HDTV.

Now, this will not be as good as say a Blue Ray disc on your HDTV, but, it keeps your current library from going to waste. I think you'll be very happy:thumbsup:

J9
07-28-2008, 10:19 AM
You should be able to use it just fine. The only difference when all the signals go to HD next year will be for traditional broadcast antenna stations. It shouldn't affect any peripherals like DVDs.

We actually went to blockbuster about a month ago to get National Treasure 2. They were completely out of it, so we got the Blu Ray version and decided to hook our Playstation up to the TV so we could watch it - OMG AMAZING!!! I am a Blu Ray convert. It's so sad the players are so expensive and we are too lazy most days to lug the Playstation up two flights of stairs. I cannot wait to get a real Blu Ray player - go down in price already!!!! LOL

meldan98
07-29-2008, 12:56 PM
So this question is a little off topic but does any body know how to connect an HDTV, Direct TV (non-HD) and a dvd player together. My dh and I have both tried and we get horrible static on when we watch TV and we can see Direct TV on the TV when the movie in the DVD player is playing. My dh went to Frys and Magnolia (Best Buy) and they all played dumb and wanted us to pay them to hook everything up.

magicofdisney
07-30-2008, 06:04 PM
So this question is a little off topic but does any body know how to connect an HDTV, Direct TV (non-HD) and a dvd player together. My dh and I have both tried and we get horrible static on when we watch TV and we can see Direct TV on the TV when the movie in the DVD player is playing. My dh went to Frys and Magnolia (Best Buy) and they all played dumb and wanted us to pay them to hook everything up.
We have an HDTV. We have DirecTV, a DVD player and an XBox 360 hooked to it. First you need to figure out how the TV receives different components. Possible connection types are HDMI, Component (red, green and blue tips), S-Video, Composite (red, white and yellow tips) or RF cable. The Component and S-Video connection will also need a red and white tip AV cable for sound. Sometimes this is included with the Component and S-Video cable and sometimes not.

Your DirecTV receiver could possibly be connected through any of these except the HDMI (which is the HD connection).

Your DVD player could also be connected to any of these (and probably not the HDMI connection).

Your TV remote should have an input button which would switch between the different devices.