PDA

View Full Version : Glitter in flat latex wall paint

Katzateer
07-28-2008, 08:19 AM
Has anyone ever put glitter in wall paint? My daughter wants to paint her room a light gold and put some glitter in the paint.

Will that be a problem when we repaint the wall in a year or two?

Sounds like it might be pretty but don't want to mess up the paint. I was just going to get a couple large glitter tubes at Walmart or Hobby Lobby.

Thanks for any input.

J9
07-28-2008, 08:29 AM
I've never tried it, but I feel like it probably wouldn't work. The opaque paint would cover up the glitter, and all you would get is bumpy walls.

If they may some kind of clear polyeurothene (sp?) or clear paint of some sort, it might be better to paint the wall gold, let it dry, then mix the glitter in with the clear stuff and do another coat.

Please, check with someone else first! I'm just guessing. Have you gone to visit your Home Depot or Lowe's. They usually have pretty good paint people.

kakn7294
07-28-2008, 08:34 AM
I know they sell glitter additives at places like Home Depot, but I've never used one. I don't know how that's different from adding regular glitter to the paint. I also don't know what it would do to the walls when you want to paint over them in the future. You might have tiny little bumps all over the walls and I would be afraid the glitter would all clump together. My DD wanted metallic paint for her walls but I've heard horror stories about the difficulty in the application and work required if you decide to paint over them so I talked her out of it.

mickeys_princess_mom
07-28-2008, 09:00 AM
I've never tried it, but I feel like it probably wouldn't work. The opaque paint would cover up the glitter, and all you would get is bumpy walls.

If they may some kind of clear polyeurothene (sp?) or clear paint of some sort, it might be better to paint the wall gold, let it dry, then mix the glitter in with the clear stuff and do another coat.

I've painted a (beach) scene first, then added a clear coat over it. Before the clear coat was dry I literally threw the glitter at the wall and it stuck (most of it:blush:--you'll have some cleanup) to the clear and created the look I was going for. :wave:

disneycutie165
07-29-2008, 09:32 AM
We just recently finished painting my new "hangout" room and we put glitter in pink paint. All you do is buy one packet for each gallon of paint you buy and pour it in and stir. All their is to it!:thumbsup:Good luck!

magicofdisney
07-31-2008, 10:54 PM
You could always add glitter to glaze and then paint that on top. Glaze is a paint base before pigment is added. Let us know what you decide and how it turns out.

As a pp stated, I was thinking you could just blow glitter on a wet (with paint) wall and it should stick.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
08-03-2008, 12:50 AM
This sounds like a cool idea, I never would have thought of it. Let us know how it works out.

Vito
08-03-2008, 02:07 AM
You might get mixed results with glitter and flat paint. Part of the issue would be the paint covering up the glitter, making it no longer "glittery."

One method that might work would be to paint the wall normally, then while the paint is still wet throw some glitter on there. Then get a flat latex clear coat to paint over the glitter.

The problem will be that if you ever want to repaint the room, you'll almost definitely have to strip off the paint/glitter or else the bumpy glitter will still create a rough surface. Plus, I don't know how even of an effect you'll be able to get by throwing or blowing glitter on the wet wall. It would be pretty tough to get an even effect.

My personal recommendation would be to see if there are any metallic type paints or paint additives that can make a glitter effect.

If you have a Home Depot or Lowes nearby, I would suggest asking them if they have any tips or ideas on how to get the effect you want.

I did find this while searching:

Step1 - Make sure your wall is fully painted (double coat recommended) and dry before applying anything on top.

Step2 - Purchase a can of shimmer/glitter glaze. This should be available in your local paint store. Most hardware stores do not carry this product, so be sure to go to a store that specializes in paint. You are not looking for glitter paint in little bottles or bags of glitter. This is a glaze that comes in a can like paint.

Step3 - Set up your drop cloth and then thoroughly stir your can of glitter glaze.

Step4 - Apply as many coats as you like to the painted wall. The more coats, the less subtle the shimmer effect will be. Make sure to let it dry between coats to accurately assess if you need more shimmer.