PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for celebrating a birthday for a first time visiter

trackbarroness
07-28-2008, 05:51 AM
My Mom and I are really talking about visiting DLR next year in September. Just wondering what you all think we could do, And also wondering if the afternoon tea with Mary Poppins is still available or not. I would like to make it really special for my Mom because we're staying this year at OKW for my birthday and my little cousins birthday. Any ideas will be greatly appreciated. :D
We got over a year to prepare so if you want you can also PM me.
Have a magical day

tinkwest
08-04-2008, 05:09 PM
Afternoon Tea hasn't been around for years.

A special birthday dinner at Steakhouse 55 at the Disneyland Hotel might be worth considering. Great atmosphere and food.

Marla
08-05-2008, 01:06 PM
Hey trackbarrones long time no see, since we lost our VMK. Please tell me what does OKW stands for?
As far as a special meal to celebrate your Mom's Birthday if you like Japanese I would suggest Yamabuki at the Paradise Pier Hotel. If you plan this one ask to be seated in the authenic Japanese room, the tables on the floor really add to the expierence. Also I would check into special events, or even a DLR Tour. Watch the calendar of special events at Disney.go, I believe it is called the Gallery. Let me know if you can't find it and I will find the exact address for you.:tink:

meldan98
08-06-2008, 03:54 PM
I would suggest Napa Rose or even Blue Bayou for lunch. As far as special activities, the Gallery is now closed and has become the Apartment for YOMD giveaway. Which for DLR diehards is a very sad thing, IMO. You might be able to check with the Disneyana store to see if they are still coordinating special events.

Another fun little thing you can do is at the Plaza restaurant they have a birthday party celebration and for $10 each you each get a little cake to decorate, a birthday hat and punch and then get a few minutes of one on one time with Mickey and Miney and photos with them. This is really kid friendly, but have seen adults participate. You can reserve this through the reservation phone number.

Marla
08-10-2008, 11:43 AM
meldan98 is correct about the closing of the Gallery that was above POTC. What I am suggesting for you is the Gallery section online that posts Special Events for both WDW and DLR. You can find this at,
http://psc.disney.go.com/eventservices/disneygallery/index.html
Have fun! And I still cannot figure out what OKW stands for?:confused::tink:

meldan98
08-11-2008, 02:41 PM
THANK YOU!!!!

I had that link a long time ago before my laptop kicked the bucket (RIP). I've looked for it off and on and never could find it again. Oh, well that I won't be able to use it for at least a year. We've got a baby on the way and won't make it back down to DL until she is almost one (or earlier, if I can beg and plead my case with my dh).

I can't figure out what OKW is either. I thought maybe it was OC W and she made a typo, but there isn't a W hotel in Orange Co. Hopefully, they will come back and solve the mystery.

SondraD11
08-24-2008, 09:37 AM
I believe that OKW stands for Old Key West which is a DVC resort at WDW.

Sondra

trackbarroness
09-22-2008, 08:24 PM
Yep OKW is Old Key West. :D
We got at leat 10 months to plan and scheme and what not. :D Now to wear something that says WDW on it. What you all think? Good idea or bad idea? :D
A friend of mine at work just came back from there. He actually started working for the company at DLR before moving to the other coast. :D Now the question will be of course which form of travel to and from DLR and how long of a stay. To DVC or not to DVC. :D

NotaGeek
09-22-2008, 09:23 PM
:offtopic:

Hey there guys ... can we get this back on track ... this thread has gone from confusing to REALLY confusing. Private chat is best done using the Private Message feature, it keeps the threads understandable for all that post.

So ... the topic is birthday suggestions for September 2009? With the new promotion at least someone will get a free day at the DLR ... that's a LONG time to plan. I say dinner at a nice restaurant or springing for the reserved seating at Fantasmic would be a great treat.

trackbarroness
09-25-2008, 10:17 AM
NotaGeek

That sounds awesome. :thumbsup:
Is the Fantasmic different there then it is here at Disney's Hollywood Studios, or are they the same show?
We have at least 11 months to plan the trip, so keep the ideas coming. I'll keep up a count down until we arrive at DLR. :D

Aisling
09-26-2008, 05:56 AM
For a birthday, I'd get a light meal somewhere early, around 6-ish, and then do the preferred seating for Fantasmic and enjoy all the yuuuuummy treats! Don't forget they serve coffee, tea, and cocoa.
I really, really enjoy the preferred seating and the show is wonderful. I've never seen the one at WDW, so I don't know how they compare, but I love the one at DLR. With the ps, you're right up front and can see all the action, it's awesome.

NotaGeek
09-26-2008, 08:32 AM
NotaGeek

Is the Fantasmic different there then it is here at Disney's Hollywood Studios, or are they the same show?
We have at least 11 months to plan the trip, so keep the ideas coming. I'll keep up a count down until we arrive at DLR. :D

Although it's the same basic show, you can't compare seeing Fanstasmisc! right on the Rivers of America ... it's not an amphitheater environment, and it is AMAZING!

BrerGnat
09-26-2008, 01:57 PM
NotaGeek

Fantasmic at DL is slightly different. The Pocahontas scene is different at DL (not as elaborate). And, the very best part, IMO, is at DL, the Sailing Ship Columbia comes out (a big old fashioned schooner) and Peter Pan and Captain Hook (and company) go by on this boat and have a really cool fight scene. Plus, at the end, the Mark Twain Steamboat (the real one) goes by with all the characters on it. It's like a plus sized version of what you see at Hollywood Studios. I, personally, like the SHOW at Disneyland more, while I like the stadium/seating setup at Hollywood Studios more, but I agree that the backdrop of the Rivers of America/Tom Sawyer Island is MUCH cooler than the Fantasmic stadium water setup at Hollywood studios.

trackbarroness
10-12-2008, 06:59 PM
About nine months away. My cousin wants to come along but she wants the visit to happen in Augest instead. I still want to visit in September though. Starting to make a list of things to do and perhaps eat whilst there. :thumbsup:
Are the Churros really better tasting at DLR then at WDW? :D
The thing is my Mom and I are both WDW CM's. :D

trackbarroness
11-15-2008, 08:53 PM
About nine months away. My cousin wants to come along but she wants the visit to happen in Augest instead. I still want to visit in September though. Starting to make a list of things to do and perhaps eat whilst there. :thumbsup:
Are the Churros really better tasting at DLR then at WDW? :D
The thing is my Mom and I are both WDW CM's. :D

Just bumping this thread up to keep it active, so it doesn't fall by the way side. :D
Has anyone seen what the points will be and are for the Grand Californian next year after the DVC portion opens? Specially for a weekly rate. I love the ideas so far so good. it's probably still too soon to book airfair yet. :D Lol

Closet Disney Fan
11-19-2008, 12:28 PM
Personally I'm far from any expert on any Disney attractions or restaurants, but on my last trip my girlfriend and I went to the Blue Bayou for a special dinner. We requested a waterside table and it was an amazing atmosphere. I think with the combination of atmosphere and menu, the BB would make for a great special dinner or lunch. This restaurant just screams Disney. have fun !

trackbarroness
11-23-2008, 08:20 PM
Mom aka PirateGal said she doesn't care where we eat on her B-day, only that we eat somewhere. :D Lolol
The BB actually sounds awesome, and just being there will be probably different then what we're use to. I've met a few guests who thought the 2 MK's where a lot a like until they came to WDW's MK. So can't wait but have to until the actually arrives and we walk down Main street USA in DLR. And of course visit T-land. Lolol Having to wait to make airline ressies and what not is a pain. :D
Have a magical night/day