PDA

View Full Version : Nine year old going on rides alone..... please keep reading....

scootch713
07-27-2008, 09:05 PM
Ok, taking my girls, just turned 9 and 6 by myself to the world. Have done it for the past 5 years(not all trips by myself, but most).. so hasn't been an issue. But my almost 9 year old is now loving to ride.. but my 6 year old is fairly timid.

Can I get in line and go up to the point where we get on.. put my 9 year old on(she is fine riding with someone else) and then wait for her to finish?? I figure too if my 6 year old has to do this, she might change her mind a few times and ride some of the rides too..... but if she doesn't change her mind, can my 9 year old still ride with me accompanying her in line????

any grandma's out there that want to come with me to disney :)

thanks...

SpecJoe Magic
07-27-2008, 10:16 PM
Yes, you can accompany her up to the point right before the "chicken exit." It's usually located just prior to boarding the ride, so you'll be able to be with her for most of the way through the queue.

Young@Heart
07-27-2008, 10:27 PM
My guide book lists a few of the more intense rides (Dinosaur, ToT, Coasters) as "children shoud ride with an adult", but I think most of the rides would be okay. :mickey:

pixiesmimi
07-27-2008, 11:02 PM
Sure! This grandma will go with you to help! :D Anytime!

GrumpyFan
07-27-2008, 11:12 PM
Before you let them go on the ride without you, consider how they will handle a possible ride stop/breakdown. It's not the kind of thing most people think about, but it does happen. Read what happened to my kids on Splash Mountain last year. (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=115515) If nothing else, coach them before they get on the ride on what to do if something happens.

MississippiDisneyFreak
07-28-2008, 09:21 AM
I would think most rides would be okay, but I would be cautious about the more extreme rides, like Tower of Terror-:blush:

KAT1811
07-28-2008, 11:06 AM
Yes, you can accompany her up to the point right before the "chicken exit." It's usually located just prior to boarding the ride, so you'll be able to be with her for most of the way through the queue.

:ditto:

As long as she is okay with riding the rides alone I would think she would be fine. Just make sure that she is familiar with what is going to happen on the more intense rides. Then I would wait for her at the ride's exit. I'm sure she'll be fine.

Mousemates
07-28-2008, 12:01 PM
One thing to remember is that while most 9 year olds are okay on the rides,the reason they are okay is because they have someone with them. It one thing to face the wicked witch of snow white with your parents, its another thing to face her all alone.

So while I'm sure your nine year old can probably handle it, there are likely a few who might freak out a little bit.

DisneyBunch
07-28-2008, 12:14 PM
Before you let them go on the ride without you, consider how they will handle a possible ride stop/breakdown.

Great point.:thumbsup:

scootch713
07-28-2008, 12:50 PM
Thanks much.. many of the rides she has already rode with either my neice or my sisterinlaw. I am hoping to get my 6 year old to start riding a bit more by then. I am not really expecting her to go on TOT but splash mountain, thunder mountain, ect.....

MickeyMousse
07-28-2008, 01:45 PM
Maybe on some rides, like the Speedway or Tea Cups (where I could see my kids) but I don't think I'd let them ride anything by themselves where they are out of my sight.
I agree with other posters, you need to think about how your kid would handle a possible ride stop/break down. My oldest DS11, would not do well if it was for longer than a minute, never mind if it was someplace in the dark!!!

PAYROLL PRINCESS
07-28-2008, 06:37 PM
Give her a little tiny flashlite in case they do get stuck in a dark ride. As Joe said you can go right up to the chicken ride then after she is on the ride go to where the ride lets out and wait for her. Maybe even go to the exit WITH her first so she'll know where she is coming out and then she'll know exactly where to find you.

GrumpyFan
07-29-2008, 12:05 AM
Give her a little tiny flashlite in case they do get stuck in a dark ride. As Joe said you can go right up to the chicken ride then after she is on the ride go to where the ride lets out and wait for her. Maybe even go to the exit WITH her first so she'll know where she is coming out and then she'll know exactly where to find you.

I'm not trying to scare anybody, just inform about what can happen. When a ride breaks down/stops, the normal exits aren't always used. In the incident that I posted (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=115515) and referred to above, they brought our kids out a different way than the normal exit. They actually had to go backstage behind the attraction and then brought out thru another door that led back onstage. However, other riders were taken thru other ways, depending on where in the ride they were stuck. The bad part as parents, is nobody could tell us anything as to what was happening or where and when they would come out. The only way we were able to find them is via cell phones. But, by all accounts that they retold, it got kinda crazy, and they were stuck for almost 45 minutes.

Tigerinvestigator
07-29-2008, 12:26 AM
It's funny, I have visions of Nemo's father while I am reading these posts. You know your daughter and if you think she can handle the ride and she thinks she can handle the ride then it will not only be fine, it will be great. This is Disney and while there are no sure things in this world, Disney is probably as sure as it gets. It is always a good idea to set a meeting place in case one gets lost or there are ride breakdowns as discussed in these posts. I usually put a cell phone in my DD11's pocket and then she can call me if something does happen. She has been very mature and doesn't mind riding by herself (since she was 8 or 9).:thumbsup: