PDA

View Full Version : Question -- incentives for becoming a DVC Member?

snowwhitenyc
07-27-2008, 01:52 PM
Hello!

I have been reading these boards for a while and have just started posting. It has been wonderful reading all of your great ideas, tips, stories, etc.

My family has been visiting WDW for a long time...our last trip was in February, after a 12 year hiatus! As you can imagine, it has reawakened the beast in us, and we are all a bit Disney crazy. Can't wait to go back!

We have been thinking about DVC, and I am trying to convince my mom to join (and take me, of course!). She has ordered the DVD and is currently dodging calls from the sales reps...I think she is afraid she won't be able to say no.

I have been reading that many people are joining or considering joining now because of all of the great incentives being offered...could some explain to me what they are? I understand how the DVC works, so I'm so curious what kinds of goodies are being offered.

Thanks in advance for your help! Beach Club Villas, here we come :mickey:

DVC Mike
07-27-2008, 03:59 PM
Just be aware that the list of perks changes over time and are not guaranteed. For example, the discount on the Annual Passes has only been around for a few years, and could go away.

DVC members get perks like discounted APs, discounts on hard-ticket events such as MNSSHP and MVMCP, discounts on dining, etc,

vizsla
07-28-2008, 05:21 AM
:mickey:Welcome to Intercot:mickey:

As already mentioned the perks can change over time. You did mention in your post that you visited WDW many times and are going back after a 12-year hiatus. I would not jump right into the DVC without doing some research and investigating to see if that is what you really want. Take some time on your visit to WDW and talk with a DVC rep and maybe take a tour to check out the resorts.

snowwhitenyc
07-28-2008, 02:25 PM
Thanks for the responses so far! Yes, I have definitely been doing lots of research, I agree that this is an important step. I do understand that perks may come and go, although the discounted AP would be a HUGE bonus for us, that seems like a great deal. We used to get the AP all the time because we typically took 10-12 day WDW vacations (this was in the 90s, when all ticket prices were a tad more reasonable).

Our hiatus was rather unintentional, and had to do more with my brother and I going away to college, and then some medical problems my brother dealt with for about 10 years. Now that he is 100% free of these medical problems we are able to travel as much as we want.

In terms of incentives, I was really more interested in the special deals that people were getting by signing up with Disney. After some research, I've learned that AKL is the only one eligible for these perks, and they include a $8 credit per point, developers points for SSR, and then some cash and/or gift card bonuses that have something to do with the Disney Visa.

I think for us, our best bet is buying a smaller contract via resale. We have the advantage of being able to travel in the slower seasons (Sept/Oct/Early Nov and Feb/March), and we're a small family, so a studio would do just fine for us 95% of the time. Also, I really want BCV as our home resort. We'd probably be happy staying anywhere, but if we had to pick one resort to stay at most of the time, that would be our choice.

Again, thanks so much for all of your help! Reading through the posts on this board has really given me a lot of good info. I'm not sure what will happen, but I'm crossing my fingers that the DVC is in our future!